Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy's parents

Marciblook

Yeah, pretty weird that the OTHER rainbow maned pony ever seen in the show is NOT related to Dashie. He trained her according to said official word

Really? Where have you seen this? Also, I would find it surprising that that wasn't her dad, as he had a rainbow mane and tail, and that seems unique to Rainbow up until that episode.

Really? Where have you seen this? Also, I would find it surprising that that wasn't her dad, as he had a rainbow mane and tail, and that seems unique to Rainbow up until that episode.

In the official trading card game if I recall 

• Brohoof 1

Isn't it generally-accepted headcanon that Fluttershy's parents were some of the meanest and worst ponies to ever exist? Isn't that why she's so shy and nervous, so bad at flying(They probably didn't let her out much), why she was at Flying Boot-Camp or whatever despite this, how she can do The Stare(It's probably been used on her a few hundred times by her parents), why she likes animals more than other ponies, why she specifically referred to her best friends as "Her Pony Friends" in her Hot Minute video(Which is like a human crazy cat lady on earth saying that when not taking care of her ninety pets, she sometimes likes to hang out with her human friends), and why she became a scary bully when she tried to be even the slightest bit more assertive?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well I believe Fluttershy is the only pony we have had no leads on parents with. Even Rainbow had what was assumed his dad. But nothing for Fluttershy.

I think I have to agree that if Fluttershy has parents they're likely not very good ones, or maybe abandoned her or something all together.

Well I believe Fluttershy is the only pony we have had no leads on parents with. Even Rainbow had what was assumed his dad. But nothing for Fluttershy.

I think I have to agree that if Fluttershy has parents they're likely not very good ones, or maybe abandoned her or something all together.

Although I don't know if I believe that necessarily for flight school. Because it seems that flight school is pretty normal for all Pegasi in cloudsdale. Although it's possible her parents sent her there just because they didn't want to deal with her, who knows.

Edited by Zygen

(edited)

In the official trading card game if I recall 

The little diddy right here

CanterlotNights_017.jpg

You know, the card never said he isn't her father. Of course I don't collect the cards so maybe I'm missing something

Edited by Big Boss
  • Brohoof 1

img-2786401-1-CanterlotNights_017.jpg

You know, the card never said he isn't her father. Of course I don't collect the cards so maybe I'm missing something

Well, you're right, it doesn't exactly say it is or isn't, but it does imply they know each other very well

Well, the show talked about Twilight's parents, Applejack's parents, Rarity's and Pinkie Pie's parents. I don't think we heard about Rainbow's parents or Fluttershy's parents.

But, as always, it does not mean that they don't have any. They will bring the parents in when and if they feel it is necessary to do so.

There has been a Flashback or RD dad, so Fluttershy is the only one without parents to be shown, but I agree with you, the will bring Flutters parents when its necesary. That might be an interesting episode if that happens.

img-2786401-1-CanterlotNights_017.jpg

Yeah, good point. I'd like to think he's her dad, but unless Meghan or someone confirms no one knows.

• 6 months later...

Hello !

As this thread is dealing with a character, it has been moved to Show Discussion. Please keep in mind that if you topic has anything to do with the show, it's characters, or the lore, it belongs there. Sugarcube Corner is mainly for topics dealing with the fandom itself.

Thank you and have a good day. :)

I'm calling it:

Fluttershy's parents are actually famous and she doesn't talk about them because she is afraid to get too much attention. 

I'm very curious to who Fluttershy's parents actually are. Hopefully we'll find out. After all, she and Rainbow Dash are the two Mane 6 members who have the least backstory. I wouldn't be surprised though if they were actually dead since she's the loneliest and most sensitive of the Mane 6.

I've got a bit of a headcannon on Fluttershy's parents and her childhood, similar to :Flutterdash:'s on the last page. What I'm thinking, as other people have suggested in this thread, is that her parents were rather abusive or abandoned her at a young age, contributing to her shy and shut-in nature. After Rainbow Dash stands up for her against the bullies, they start getting to know each other and become "honorary sisters" of sorts. After a while, they both agree to move to Ponyville together so that Fluttershy can be truly happy with both nature and her best friend.

There are a few possible holes in this theory, of course. First and most obviously, something dark like this would never be actual cannon. Also, one must consider that Rainbow Dash doesn't seem super friendly or connected to Fluttershy in the first several episodes of the show, and their very close friendship doesn't really seem to develop until late season one and season two. Oh, and what happened to her after she fell from Cloudsdale? Did she just wander around in the woods for several days until someone found her? That's always something I've wondered. 

Nevertheless, her backstory leaves a lot up to the imagination at this point, and I think some more fan fictions or fan theories based on this idea would be interesting.

Edited by Mouse

It's more than just Fluttershy. I can't recall seeing any young pegasus with their parents. I can't help wonder if pegasus just raise their children differently. Maybe they leave their parents early on and attend some kind of government boarding school.

• Brohoof 1

I believe they used to live in a big city,who knows what one, but then they moved to Cloudsdale to enroll Fluttershy in school there, since there was a school strictly for Pegasi there. Perhaps they're living, off of their wealth, as retired Wonderbolts and are in hiding, and Fluttershy has to keep it a secret.

Edited by :Flutterdash:

Well, Fluttershy and RD are from Cloudsdale. And honestly, how often are they in Cloudsdale? I just don't think they're relevant right now is all. If we do get another Cloudsdale based episode in the future, it's a possibility we'll see them.

I'm with you here! if surely it's just a couple of flaps away for a pegasi to go visit their parent's in cloudsdale and you'd think their parents would've been there for moral support in the equestria games but nope!

I like the idea that Fluttershy's parents were very mean to her, which is why she's very shy now.

I'm with you here! if surely it's just a couple of flaps away for a pegasi to go visit their parent's in cloudsdale and you'd think their parents would've been there for moral support in the equestria games but nope!

Yes, unless they don't live in Cloudsdale...

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

I hope they'll show us some information about flutter's parents in season 5 . I want to know about her parents !!!!!

I do too! If that isn't RD's father, could it be her brother? The only reason I suggest this is because of Twlight and her brother, Shining Armour, they both have pretty much the same cutie mark don't they? And RD and this colt have the same cutie mark - from what I can see of it.

My HeadCanon was that Flutters was abandoned as a Filly, Her being Very Shy and Trusting Because her Parent's weren't there also her connection to aniamls may have a result from her having no friends and family while she grew up.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've heard that the card for Rainbow Blaze is supposed to be Rainbow's father.  But, all the Pegasi are a mystery.  Except for the Flashback in the Cutie Mark Chronicles, we know nothing of Fluttershy.  For all we know of Scootaloo she sprang fully grown from someone's head 5 minutes before the pilot.  (Like Athena sprang from Jupiter's head in Roman mythology)

I was hoping to get some background on the Pegasi, including Fluttershy, in episode 100 but no.  (Great episode, many ships confirmed but no info on Fluttershy).  Probably too late for Season 5, still hoping for something in Season 6.

Edited by sweetolebob18

Somebody else might have said it, but I always had a headcanon that Fluttershy's parents were REALLY good flyers, possibly even famous Wonderbolts. They were both pretty high up in the ranks, so it consumed most of their time, so they didn't spend a lot of time with Flutters. It would explain why she got sent to flight camp, because her parents hoped she would get better there. She's so shy because her parents get so much attention, but she sees how hard they work to keep an image and doesn't want to have to deal with all the stress of public image.

It makes sense with character stereotype, I think. "The only child from a rich family becomes a homely nature lover because she's not skilled at what her parents do" is a pretty popular character idea. 

My other headcanon is that both she and RD are from single parent homes, RD having her dad and Flutters having a mom. I think it would make the show personal to kids with single parent homes, but there's no canonicity. 

• Brohoof 1