Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which Pony Would Make the Best Military Commander?

LZRD WZRD

(edited)

Now before you all start saying ridiculous things like "why would Equestria need military commanders?" let me remind you that in a little over a year (if the season 4 opener marks one year), Equestria has dealt with a major threat (changelings, Sombra, etc) SIX TIMES! :o

And there are plenty of other minor threats that appear every other episode it seems. Not to mention I'm not too sure I trust those dragons not to attack at some point.

So which of the mane six would make the best commander and who out of all the characters would make the best commander?

For the mane six, I think it's Twilight Sparkle. Second is Dash, who has proven to be very aggressive (probably to a fault) before in combat. I think she'd dominate lesser opponents, but would probably struggle against stronger/smarter ones. However she does have military experience and training. Twilight on the other hand, would probably have the best knowledge and is a quick learner. She has also proven to be very brave and cool under pressure. However, for better or worse she lacks the initiative that Dash has and at times is indecisive.

I disqualify Rarity since she doesn't really seen the type (to say the least). Not Fluttershy, since she would probably leave her troops and flee from the battlefield. Pinkie Pie seems to lack discipline and seriousness (although maybe she'd be one of those eccentric generals. She's proven she can be a spy after all). Applejack seems to somewhat be a mix of Dash and Twilight. I'm not sure how I'd rate her, but she's probably be number 3.

Picking any of the characters, I'd probably say Shining Armor, since he is already a military leader. Celestia also seems to be a good leader. I'm not sure about Luna, though. Her whole Nightmare Moon fiasco has me questioning just how tactically sound she is.

Edited by LZRD WZRD

(edited)

I would like to think that under the right circumstances it would be Luna she is from a time were conflict on larger scale was probably much more likely to occur and such has experience that would be much fresher in her mind, plus I could totally see Luna going "Warrior princess".

(This is assuming that Luna has had time to adjust to current world politics and has become familiar to any changes to the equestrian government that has been made)

Edited by spyke
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would like to think that under the right circumstances it would be Luna she is from a time were conflict on larger scale was probably much more likely to occur and such has experience that would be much fresher in her mind, plus I could totally see Luna going "Warrior princess".

Yeah I would think so too, however I'm not quite sure what she was doing in the first episode, while the mane six were strolling through the forest. Seems like a perfect place for an ambush. But maybe the darkness in her was clouding her judgement or something.

Also she was absent for that critical battle for Canterlot when the changelings invaded. Perhaps she pulled a Stonewall Jackson and decided to catch up on her sleep while her capital was being threatened :lol:

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 1

Spitfire. She already commands the closest Equestria has to a SF team, and runs the only thing they seem to have that is close to a military academy.

So while she may not have the plot armor of other characters, due to her experience I'd say she would be the best.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I would think so too, however I'm not quite sure what she was doing in the first episode, while the mane six were strolling through the forest. Seems like a perfect place for an ambush. But maybe the darkness in her was clouding her judgement or something.

Also she was absent for that critical battle for Canterlot when the changelings invaded. Perhaps she pulled a Stonewall Jackson and decided to catch up on her sleep while her capital was being threatened :lol:

True but for the first one I personally think that she wasn't trying to outright kill them just scare them away so they would suffer deathly cold and everlasting night with the rest of the populace because to be frank it is much more evil to make your prey suffer before you kill them, any normal group of ponies would of turned back just from going through any one of those challenges.

as for her not being their for the changeling invasion well I'm drawing a blank maybe she was on vacation?

post-26678-0-04870000-1406778737.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Luna is Stonewall Jackson? Uh oh ... Luna should call in sick for season 5.

And Twilight then AJ then Pinkie cause Generals are usually batshit crazy and her randomness fits a little.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Pinkie cause Generals are usually batshit crazy and her randomness fits a little.

What is that quote from the Killer Angels? Let's see...."A little eccentricity is a help to a general. It helps with the newspapers. The women love it too." Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 1

I feel like Applejack would just get everyone slaughtered straight away. Shed be too brute-forced. Unless she had a huge numerical advantage i can only see her holding a line.

Twilight would be too focused. Generals have to at least have some level of stupidity or they would retreat from 90% of battles. Shed be the one who is good on paper then fails over and over again.

Pinkie is Pinkie.

Rarity is Rarity, though i could see her leading some sort of spy ring i guess, i dunno

Rainbow Dash would make for a good leader, but not for an army. Shes a slightly more tactical Applejack. So shes basically every general ever; its ok to get everybody fucking cut down as long as i survive.

I can see Fluttershy helping plan but i cant imagine shed be a general on the lines.

Celestia is too busy.

I do think Luna would be the best, for the reasons stated before.

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle, without a doubt.

Seriously, Twi is like a genius. I'm sure she's only read about 2,000 books on wars and military strategies.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like Rares would actually make a decent general in terms of understanding tactics and whatnot whereas Rainbow Dash would be terrible because her battle plan would look something like "ATTACK!". 

Alternative, Rarity would end up like this

• Brohoof 1

I'd say dashie. Because twilight already has a position of power, she doesn't need another one. Second is shining armor, because he's the captain of the royal guard and he should probably get a promotion to become a military leader. But one character that blows all main characters, secondary characters, and backround characters completely out of water when it comes to military leaders: My oc that I haven't started working on yet.

• Brohoof 1

I'm revisiting my choices. I had Applejack as #2, but truth be told AJ fits the Sgt. mold better than a military leader.

So instead, I'll nominate Angel Bunny, but as an evil dictator bent on world domination.

Twilight Sparkle - Alexander or Frederick

Angel - Napoleon

Pinkie Pie - Patton(?)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm revisiting my choices. I had Applejack as #2, but truth be told AJ fits the Sgt. mold better than a military leader.

So instead, I'll nominate Angel Bunny, but as an evil dictator bent on world domination.

Twilight Sparkle - Alexander or Frederick

Angel - Napoleon

Pinkie Pie - Patton(?)

Fluttershy = McClellan :lol: Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 3

Fluttershy = McClellan :lol:

Note from President Celestia, "General Fluttershy, if you aren't going to use your army, might I borrow it for a while?"

That was hilarious man.

• Brohoof 3

Fluttershy = McClellan  :lol:

Note from President Celestia, "General Fluttershy, if you aren't going to use your army, might I borrow it for a while?"

That was hilarious man.

"But, um, Celestia, do you really think that our army is ready to move? I don't want anypony getting hurt. Maybe you should send in more ponies, just in case..."

180822__UNOPT__safe_fluttershy_animated_

she so is 

• Brohoof 4

Fluttershy = McClellan :lol:

Oh my gosh :lol:

On a high level planning sense, I figure Twilight would probably have at least some idea of what she was doing. Not sure if she'd have the right temperament or the necessary experience, but she could probably do a decent enough job. Spitfire on the other hand has those things, if not Twilight's brainpower. I assume Celestia could do well and has some experience in the matter too, provided she hasn't always delegated those responsibilities.

Rainbow Dash can be pretty creative, but her Leeroy Jenkinsy tendencies would make her an awful choice for any kind of high-ranking position. I do think that Rainbow Dash could be pretty good though, assuming it's a lowish level position and someone else is giving her the orders. Reason? This. Might not always be what the situation calls for, but the charisma and leadership necessary to make a ragtag group of exhausted and defeated people get up and gladly try and go after your goal is something I imagine plenty of military commanders would love to have.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Rainbow Dash can be pretty creative, but her Leeroy Jenkinsy tendencies would make her an awful choice for any kind of high-ranking position. I do think that Rainbow Dash could be pretty good though, assuming it's a lowish level position and someone else is giving her the orders. Reason?

. Might not always be what the situation calls for, but the charisma and leadership necessary to make a ragtag group of exhausted and defeated people get up and gladly try and go after your goal is something I imagine plenty of military commanders would love to have.
Yeah i agree Dash is the person you want carrying out orders, but not necessarily the one making them.

Hmm....

Dash = John Bell Hood?

That was hilarious man.

Response from Fluttershy "The enemy outnumbers me 2-1. I shall need 200,000 more troops if I am to stand a chance" :squee: Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 3