Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

That Earth pony must've had a race change

ManaMinori

Horn implant, magical hormone pills, the works. Though cases may be rare, I want to assume that anypony in Equestria can choose to have their original race altered and become something else- like an Earth pony becoming a unicorn pony. I guess it'd work like sex changes and implant surgeries in our world ? if you guys have no idea what I'm talking about, take a look at "Rarity takes Manehattan". During Rarity's song, I happened to notice that when Rarity bumped into Grumpy cat cutie mark pony, she took a flower from the cart of a Unicorn pony....a unicorn pony with a cutie mark of 3 flowers.

Many earth ponies that were seen from this show have had a cutie mark that reflected earth pony passive magic and their abilities to more easily manipulate the earth and nature, in some way. Flowers, apples, oranges, ect. Many Unicorns and Pegasi, without the kind of passive magic earth ponies excel at, tend to not have nature-like cutie marks. Which is why I assume that this unicorn pony with a flower cutie mark....who- had she be en a natural born unicorn, couldn't manipulate the earth like an Earth pony could....had to have been actually born an earth pony and had extreme surgery and their original passive magic altered to that of unicorn magic.

I don't think earth ponies are more interested by earth and nature than the other 2 races, maybe you think that because of the Apple family (Pinkie Pie and Coco Pommel for example, 2 earth ponies, don't have a job linked to earth or nature).

But in general, every pony, no matter their race, can be attracted to nature (Fluttershy for example, she's a pegasus...).

That unicorn has a flower cutie mark because she wanted to be a florist.

Also, I don't think such surgery exists in Equestria.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's more likely that ponies can be interested in whatever they're drawn to rather than they can swap races/magic/biology.

There's something to be said for doing what you like, and making the best of what you have. Besides, Unicorns can be great at gardening/plant-related stuff too most likely. Think of how in the cider episode Twilight could pluck apples a lot faster than Applejack--who's to say somewhere out there there isn't a unicorn with an orchard or fruit for a cutie mark?

Regardless, cutie marks tend to reflect a talent or interest. I don't think their magic has to be pivotal to it. Cheerily's talent is teaching kids, and from what I understand, it's not magic but mental. Growing flowers can also be about knowing what they need, and how to care for them properly; her talent could even be how to present them, which in all honesty would be easier for a unicorn than an earth pony, because they could make extremely small adjustments or manipulate many at once without having to use their relatively rough hooves or mouth.  :)

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

... this topic kind of touches upon stuff... and kind of strikes a nerve with me...

As someone who personally feels supportive of transgender people in real life (and who, as recently as 2012, believed that transgender people were deluded freaks), I believe that the concept of trans-racial-ness is bullshit and racist.

Transsexuality is not sexist because there are actually profound differences between males and females ona psycholoigcal, neurological level. Male and female brains fundamentally work differently and react to male and female hormones differently.

So while transgenderism is not immoral, the concept of “race change operations” is apples to oranges.

I sincerely hope that race-changes aren't a thing in Equestrian ponies.

I sincerely hope that race-changes aren't a thing in Equestrian ponies.

Twilight_Sparkle_Earth_pony_ID_S2E01.png

Twilight_Sparkle_ID_S4E15.png

Race changes kinda are cannon in a way.

Ok, sometimes I think people get too hung up on the big three (Race, Cutie Marks, and Elements) and I do personally find that limiting at times. Outside of the fact that no one appears to get a talent/cutie mark they don't want, the show has broken the big three rules a few times. Rarity has a talent for finding gems, which are associated more with earth and nature than with magic (in the show anyway). Magic is more of a tool for her. Fluttershy also bucks (ha!) the trend a little. Cadance was a love centric Pegasi adopted by Earth Ponies? Love usually is seen as a magical element in a show like this (Canterlot Wedding Part 2). Don't get me started on Derpy and bubbles, and the hourglass being seen on the main three races.

The Cutie Mark question is very elusive ... and finding a clear answer will just lead you to have Apple Bloom syndrome.

mlfw2107-nyybb.gif

• Brohoof 1

I don't think a pony's cutie mark necessarily has anything at all to do with what race they are, and if a race change were possible without going through what Twilight went through I think it would be cosmetic only, without the ability to use magic with a new horn or fly with new wings.

• Brohoof 1

I think this is an interesting proposition. I think a few fanfics have looked at race change in the context of a traumatic, scientific alteration rather than magical. I have no doubt that if Equestria was real, something like this would inevitably come up. The show would never go there if course, but it's something for fans to investigate. However, I agree with other posters that just because a unicorn has a cutie mark relating to earth elements/aspects doesn't mean they were altered in some way. In fact, a unicorn would be a very good florist because she could arrange flowers expertly in arrangements. So she may not have grown the flowers herself (although I'm sure some unicorns must like to garden just like anyone!).