Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Programming thread.

I_wesley125

So do you program at all? What do you use? etc.

I am a fan of .NET(C#, C++) and QT but I also use C++(native) for a lot of things

as well as JavaScript and PHP.

I also know assembly but I don't really use that.

I make WoW addons (LUA) and I am working on an interactive MLP screensaver(XNA) but I probably won't

finish it(as with a lot of the stuff I start).

So how about you?

Also forgive me if you notice any grammatical errors as I am tired at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

Java, I'll learn Python next year in AI, C the year after that in Parallel, and I'll probably teach myself HTML if I have time.

I took a Java class in my junior year of high school and the whole way through I felt exactly like Pinkie Pie here.

(The link's messing up, it's supposed to go to 13:51 >.<)

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

My main programming language is C/C++. I also use QT for most GUI applications. In addition, I'm also somewhat familiar with Visual Basic, TI-BASIC, and the Texas Instruments MSP430 ISA. And if forced, I can spit out some FORTRAN...>.>

TI-BASIC (TI-82 - Z80) was my first programming language. I picked up the 68k version of the language when I got my first TI-89. I then learned C/C++ while in college, allowing it to become my main language.

I hope to learn Python sometime in the future, but as of right now my school load is too heavy for any extra-curricular learning.

• Brohoof 1

I am doing web development for a living right now, so I am writing python and javascript. Lots and lots of python and javascript. Far more python and javascript than any sane person should ever be responsible for writing and maintaining.

In a perfect world, I would prefer to do all of my coding in Ruby. It is, by far, the most beautiful programming language that I have ever encountered.

I will be teaching myself Haskell at some point in the future. I'm not sure when. I have been told that learning Haskell is the key to unlocking some kind of programmer nirvana. However, it wouldn't pay the bills, so it will stay on the todo list for now.

In the past, I have written substantial projects in both Java and C. I have also fiddled with way too many languages to list here.

I feel a little guilty for some of the horrible Java programs that I have left behind in some of the places that I once worked. It's not that Java is a bad programming language. it's just that Java really is a bad programming language. Tedious, verbose, and backwards compatible to a fault. It was fun to write buggy in-browser applets when Java first came out, but now, it is an Enterprise language and the thrill is gone.</confessions>

I am doing web development for a living right now, so I am writing python and javascript. Lots and lots of python and javascript. Far more python and javascript than any sane person should ever be responsible for writing and maintaining.

In a perfect world, I would prefer to do all of my coding in Ruby. It is, by far, the most beautiful programming language that I have ever encountered.

I will be teaching myself Haskell at some point in the future. I'm not sure when. I have been told that learning Haskell is the key to unlocking some kind of programmer nirvana. However, it wouldn't pay the bills, so it will stay on the todo list for now.

In the past, I have written substantial projects in both Java and C. I have also fiddled with way too many languages to list here.

I feel a little guilty for some of the horrible Java programs that I have left behind in some of the places that I once worked. It's not that Java is a bad programming language. it's just that Java really is a bad programming language. Tedious, verbose, and backwards compatible to a fault. It was fun to write buggy in-browser applets when Java first came out, but now, it is an Enterprise language and the thrill is gone.</confessions>

*cough*PHP*cough*ASP.net*cough*

*cough*PHP*cough*ASP.net*cough*

Both are good languages. :)

I will always hold a special place in my heart for PHP as it is so wonderfully close to the first programming language that I ever used to make a website with - Perl. I spent some time developing heavily in PHP when I was building sites with Drupal.

I don't use PHP much nowadays though, because I much prefer the there's-only-one-way-to-do-it cleanliness of Python. I also prefer the raw power and flexibility of server-side javascript with node.js (though boomerang code can get very, very hairy at times).

I have only touched asp.net once, when I helped someone else with their site. It seemed like a nice enough language with a very nice set of developer tools, but I am a diehard Unix guy and I try to avoid things that are so tightly coupled with the Windows universe

I know a lot of Java.

Currently in school we are seeing .NET stuff with C# using MVC3. We are supposed to know HTML and JavaScript for it.

We were also thaught COBOL, but that is horribly outdated. I'd love to learn C++ and Python

I basically only program in JavaScript, since it was what I was taught in school ~

I would personally not consider javascript or python or ruby to be programing, but more so scripting, like making scripts, however I know next to none of all of them, so I might be wrong.

I would personally not consider javascript or python or ruby to be programing, but more so scripting, like making scripts, however I know next to none of all of them, so I might be wrong.

My programming team and I won the computer programming contest for our city and came seventh in the province and we programmed with Java. ~

My programming team and I won the computer programming contest for our city and came seventh in the province and we programmed with Java. ~

Java =/= Javascript.
  • Brohoof 1

Java =/= Javascript.

Both are programming languages,

I can program in both too, but I prefer Javascript since it has simpler commands and is faster to program in imo.

If I was going to program anything big I'd use Java, but alas I am a economics major and have no need to over complicate things.

Besides me gusta website design and such. ~

Edited by Shankveld

I actually got around to making a game using C++ in my senior year in high school. The only thing I got to say about that game is that ended up being total crap.

I can program in both too, but I prefer Javascript since it has simpler commands and is faster to program in imo.

If I was going to program anything big I'd use Java, but alas I am a economics major and have no need to over complicate things.

Comparing JavaScript and Java is like comparing JavaScript to C++.

They are for COMPLETELY different things, but it is a common mistake because of their names.

Comparing JavaScript and Java is like comparing JavaScript to C++.

They are for COMPLETELY different things, but it is a common mistake because of their names.

*sigh* there are similarities and differences.

there are a heck lot more similarities between javascript and java than js and c++

~

Javascript is a scripting language.

I am aware of that. ~

I'm simply stating that I prefer to use it for programming,

I know it can't stand alone like java can etc,

I mentioned I use it primarily to play around with web design. ^

~

I probably shouldn't post this, because these programming language discussions get somewhat hairy sometimes, but I'm diving in anyway. So, here goes.

Javascript, Python, and Ruby can be used to write scripts, but they are not scripting languages. (You can also write scripts in Java, but Java is also not a scripting language.)

Javascript is a serious server-side programming language.

Python is a serious server-side programming language with heavy usage in scientific computing. It still powers one of the largest sites on the web. It has also seen some serious usage in other industries as well.

Ruby is a serious server-side programming language. It has seen a variety of interesting uses.

I'm barely even scratching the surface of these languages with this. Really, if Javascript, Ruby, and Python are scripting languages, then so is every other programming language. Just because a language provides you with the ability to run shell commands does not mean that the language is a scripting language.

Remember, a scripting language is a programming language that relies nearly exclusively on external programs to manipulate data. A scripting language would be something more into the line of Bash shell scripting, where you manipulate other programs using your own program.

This is not necessarily true. Java and Javascript are indeed commonly confused, but they are not 100% completely different things. They are both turing-complete programming languages with C-style syntax that run in a vm. Programs written in both languages are able to take advantage of a vm to achieve a high degree of os independence (V8 for javascript and the JVM for Java).

Another thing both languages have in common is that they both have strong built-in networking libraries (assuming that you are using node.js with javascript). This means that you could use either Java or Javascript to write a performant game server, for example.

Of course, there are also many differences. Java is statically compiled while Javascript is dynamically compiled. Javascript has first-class functions and closures, while Java does not. Javascript uses a prototype-based object-orientation model, while Java uses a class-based system. And so on, so forth.

At the end of the day though, all programming languages that inherit the C-style syntax actually do feel somewhat similar to program in after you have used them for a while. The language constructs - loops, conditionals, and function declarations - are all quite similar between them. The only truly strange programming languages are the functional languages - Haskell, Erlang, Lisp, etc. These tend to be a different matter entirely.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 2

I probably shouldn't post this, because these programming language discussions get somewhat hairy sometimes, but I'm diving in anyway. So, here goes.

Javascript, Python, and Ruby can be used to write scripts, but they are not scripting languages. (You can also write scripts in Java, but Java is also not a scripting language.)

Javascript is a serious server-side programming language.

Python is a serious server-side programming language with heavy usage in scientific computing. It still powers one of the largest sites on the web. It has also seen some serious usage in other industries as well.

Ruby is a serious server-side programming language. It has seen a variety of interesting uses.

I'm barely even scratching the surface of these languages with this. Really, if Javascript, Ruby, and Python are scripting languages, then so is every other programming language. Just because a language provides you with the ability to run shell commands does not mean that the language is a scripting language.

Remember, a scripting language is a programming language that relies nearly exclusively on external programs to manipulate data. A scripting language would be something more into the line of Bash shell scripting, where you manipulate other programs using your own program.

This is not necessarily true. Java and Javascript are indeed commonly confused, but they are not 100% completely different things. They are both turing-complete programming languages with C-style syntax that run in a vm. Programs written in both languages are able to take advantage of a vm to achieve a high degree of os independence (V8 for javascript and the JVM for Java).

Another thing both languages have in common is that they both have strong built-in networking libraries (assuming that you are using node.js with javascript). This means that you could use either Java or Javascript to write a performant game server, for example.

Of course, there are also many differences. Java is statically compiled while Javascript is dynamically compiled. Javascript has first-class functions and closures, while Java does not. Javascript uses a prototype-based object-orientation model, while Java uses a class-based system. And so on, so forth.

At the end of the day though, all programming languages that inherit the C-style syntax actually do feel somewhat similar to program in after you have used them for a while. The language constructs - loops, conditionals, and function declarations - are all quite similar between them. The only truly strange programming languages are the functional languages - Haskell, Erlang, Lisp, etc. These tend to be a different matter entirely.

Scripting language =/= can only write scripts

A scripting language is a programming language that supports writing of scripts