Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wasps in My House?

True Rarity

I hope this is the right place for this thread... ^^'

Okay, so every fall around September-ish, we start having a lethargic wasp problem. It's really strange. They don't do much but hang around our sliding glass door and dining room windows, and they kind of just slug around the edges like they're either trying to get out or just dying in general.

The first year we were in this house, which was 2012, the problem was horrible. I mean, nobody's ever gotten stung by one of these yet, but there were quite a few in clusters on our sliding glass door and some in the family room/dining room. When winter came, they stopped coming.

The next year, there were no wasps at all, as far as I could tell, so I thought it was a one-time deal. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that my father figured they were getting in through the swamp cooler, which he promptly took out and patched up the hole in our wall securely - and I mean SECURELY.

But last year they were back again. There weren't as many as there were in the first year, but they were there. The first one I noticed was on our dining room window, and I thought maybe one had just strayed inside - no big deal.

Then there were a couple more on our sliding glass doors, (which, by the way, are not very good doors, but they seem secure enough to me) and my brother was pushing on the frame of one to fix it (it was falling off of the glass ^^') when about three to five more wasps were found there. That year was sort of uneventful save for just a few more on the glass doors and dining room window.

THIS year, it's happening again. I'd just decided to do my schoolwork downstairs in the dining room this morning instead of sitting up in my room, and I happened to look up, and, lo and behold, there was another one on our dining room window, the very same window where I noticed the first one last year. So now I'm up here again. I know they probably won't hurt me, but by now I'm just sick of it and I want SOMEONE TO MAKE IT STOP!!!!

So I need advice... How are they getting in?

I have a theory but I'm not sure it works. This summer, my siblings and I were washing windows, and we were doing our bedroom windows by climbing up onto the garage roof, which can be accessed by climbing out my bedroom window. Our house is sort of shaped like a barn on the sides, and at the top where it comes to a point, I saw a sort of umbrella-shaped honeycomb thing. It seemed much, MUCH too small to house any wasps and it certainly seemed dead, so I decided to shrug it off as an old nest nobody was using any more.

Should I have told my father about the nest? Sometimes around this time of year I can see wasps flying past my room window and up towards the roof... But going through the attic makes no sense. Our attic door is shut and sealed tight in the hallway right outside my room, and the wasps have ONLY appeared downstairs - I have seen none in any of the upstairs rooms or hallways. Would there be another way they're getting in?

I'm going to tell my dad about it as SOON as he comes in for lunch, but I'd like some feedback from you guys anyway.

Thanks!

Maybe they're inside the walls? Those evil bastards trend to do that.

But yes, wasps have the tendency to recycle old nests, so you might have f*cked it by leaving that old one alone AND not telling your dad.

Ugh, that sounds awful. There was a wasp nest outside my room during the summer of last year and I refused to open my window. Unfortunately I can't really offer any advice, but I hope the problem gets solved soon.

I have a problem with black wasps in our house. I actually keep a can of that wasp spray in nearly every room....thankfully have yet to get stung, and am not afraid of using that stuff in the house. Wasps often get in through windows and doors. Actually the window they could get in has been plastic-ed over (to preserve warmth/coolness) and haven't had a problem in that part of the house since I did that.

However, there is one room with a sliding glass door and old windows and they get in from time to time. I am always careful opening the door to that room, spray at the ready.

Other than redoing ALL the windows and walls (they can and do nest in the walls, under vinyl and wood). The best thing to do is make sure all your windows and doors are properly sealed around them (this also helps with energy bills) and attempt to find and eradicate nests. I have wasp traps around the yard and just overall stay prepared to face them. In an old house like ours, they won't go away....

Wasps?  In your House?   My suggestion...............check your attic, b/c they can sometimes hide up there.  Had a infestation one time of them Yellow Jacks and my rage went up to Kingdom Come.  Eventually we were able to get rid of them. 

oh no not waspspspspsps here is a few solutions I can think of

they are attracted to something growing by your house

they might of made a hive inside the walls of your house or maybe even in your attic be very very careful if you investigate your attic wasps don't fuck around when they see a threat near there hive

or its just dumb luck that wasps appear at that window

also be happy they aren't killer bees I have to put up with those fuckers they are one of the reason I want to move out of Arizona

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

What you can do is leave your house for a couple of hours and bug bomb it. You can purchase "foggers" from most local hardware stores. You will have to vacate the house of a couple of hours but it can get the job done. Also, check your walls around the outside of your house as they can move in through cracks in your outer walls and build nests inbetween the outer and inner walls (in the area instilation normally goes in)

• 6 years later...

I had 20-50 wasps coming inside every day during fall of 2018. That was the scariest thing! I have learned from the mistake, and have covered all the holes that they would get into to build a nest. It has worked the past two years. Wasps are the worst!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember one time, I think it was like two or three years ago, I found a wasp in my dining room. I guess when somebody went in or out the back door, they accidently let a wasp fly in. Thankfully, my grandma used a broom to direct it out the back door and it flew away. Every year, I also sometimes see wasps living or flying between the screen door and my house.

• The topic was locked