Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can princess be a male term? Can you be honorary?

jaime_lion

So celestia is a wise ruler. Yet she calls herself princess. Do you think that princess can be applied to males?

also can a pony become an honorary princess by being a wise leader and such or do you need wings and a horn?

The reason I was thinking males would take the title princess is cause it is a matriarchal society and they would strive to be as close to a female as possible. To better serve there subjects. To show in a way that just cause I am male I am not better or worse than anypony else.

prin·cess

ˈprinsəs,ˈprinˌses,prinˈses/

noun

1. the daughter of a monarch.

• a close female relative of monarch, especially a son's daughter.

• the wife or widow of a prince.

• Brohoof 5

The reason I was thinking males would take the title princess is cause it is a matriarchal society and they would strive to be as close to a female as possible. To better serve there subjects. To show in a way that just cause I am male I am not better or worse than anypony else.

Well, while it's true that Celestia is a Princess and is the ruler in Equestria, I don't know if that entirely means that only female Princesses, or those with the title Princess could rule, it just means that's who happens to rule.

Maybe Prince Blueblood doesn't really do much ruling it seems, because he hasn't been appointed as the ruler, but still has a title, without the responsibility or power.(If that makes sense.)

But I don't think Princess can be used on males really. "Prince" literally refers to the same meaning as far as human English terms, except with males. It's like comparing "He" to "She", Both the same meaning, just feminine reference, versus masculine. 

So long story short, it would be entirely unnecessary, and not really make any sense to use the term "Princess" for a male ruler. Or really in any case the word is used, atleast in my opinion.

If this explains anything Celestia was going to be a queen when the show was made, but hasbro changed it to princess because they thought it would sell toys better. Likewise, Blueblood was supposed to be a duke.

Well, while it's true that Celestia is a Princess and is the ruler in Equestria, I don't know if that entirely means that only female Princesses, or those with the title Princess could rule, it just means that's who happens to rule.

Maybe Prince Blueblood doesn't really do much ruling it seems, because he hasn't been appointed as the ruler, but still has a title, without the responsibility or power.(If that makes sense.)

But I don't think Princess can be used on males really. "Prince" literally refers to the same meaning as far as human English terms, except with males. It's like comparing "He" to "She", Both the same meaning, just feminine reference, versus masculine. 

So long story short, it would be entirely unnecessary, and not really make any sense to use the term "Princess" for a male ruler. Or really in any case the word is used, atleast in my opinion.

But what if in the equestrian language there is no male term for princess? what if it is gender neutral? or such

If this explains anything Celestia was going to be a queen when the show was made, but hasbro changed it to princess because they thought it would sell toys better. Likewise, Blueblood was supposed to be a duke.

I knew that about celestia but not about blueblood huh interesting. I was tinking more in universe than out of it.

• Brohoof 1

But what if in the equestrian language there is no male term for princess? what if it is gender neutral? or such

Well, As I mentioned we already have Prince blueblood, so the word exists.

Whether or not the meaning is different we can't really know.

Still, if Equestria is a matriarchal society, then simply having a male changed to the title of "Princess" wouldn't lead to him becoming ruler, the ruler would have to be a female. Considering Matriarchal societies are ruled by women.

But there is no Equestrian dictionary or anything, so I can really go off human based terms, and based on those I'd have to say Princess couldn't be used for a male.

Well, As I mentioned we already have Prince blueblood, so the word exists.

Whether or not the meaning is different we can't really know.

Still, if Equestria is a matriarchal society, then simply having a male changed to the title of "Princess" wouldn't lead to him becoming ruler, the ruler would have to be a female. Considering Matriarchal societies are ruled by women.

But there is no Equestrian dictionary or anything, so I can really go off human based terms, and based on those I'd have to say Princess couldn't be used for a male.

Ok I can see that males couldn't rule but what about an honorary title of princess or prince exemplifying an element of harmony in a time of need or battle like maybe being kind to someone that needed it or such?

(In my head cannon males are called princess's and can lead or it can be given in an honorary fashion)

Edited by jaime_lion
  • Brohoof 1

Ok I can see that males couldn't rule but what about an honorary title of princess or prince exemplifying an element of harmony in a time of need or battle like maybe being kind to someone that needed it or such?

(In my head cannon males are called princess's and can lead or it can be given in an honorary fashion)

Well, it's entirely possible males can rule, but they wouldn't become "Princesses" if they did. We don't really know if Equestria is matriarchal for sure entirely, or if it just so happens it's ruled by females.

I don't know how the titles are granted in Equestria for sure, but I kinda doubt that would be the way, something more akin to Twilights ascension to Princesshood is more likely. Which is still unclear overall on what exactly was required for that.

But I don't think being kind or something like that would grant a title of royalty, I think it's either restricted to royal blood, or something much more complex in terms of requirements.

But again, it's pretty unclear.

And it's fine if that is your head cannon, head cannon is part of the fun of the show in my eyes, especially discussing it here, although I do not personally think I agree with that particular headcannon.

I couldn't think of it. Prince and princess are closely equivalent titles in our language, altered into masculine and feminine forms. Equestria has no de facto language separate from the ones the show exists in (written language is inconsequential as depictions of written language are intentionally limited to ease international adaptation of the show, although there appeared to be a written Equestrian language discovered and described by some other bronies). However, prince seems to be a bit looser in application because Blueblood is a prince by blood and Shining Armor by marriage, so it doesn't seem to be an equivalent title in Equestria, and no non-alicorn princesses seem to have appeared.

Male alicorns seem to be a logical longshot any way you slice it, either for Equestria being an administrative matriarchy or the sheer rarity :D of alicorns in general, so it looks like the point will be merely speculative (or I would say moot because I'm sure it won't happen) for the time being.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I sure hope male alicorns can exist and its just a coincidence all currently know Allicorns just happen to be female.

Here is a question, does alicorn always = royalty? What If Twilight became an alicorn and was like 'i Will keep these wings, but I don't want to be a princess, sorry Celestia!'

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to vote yes simply on the basis that yeah, technically a guy can be a princess because of transgender issues. I myself am transgendered so to be honest I'd enjoy the princess title more then I care to admit. You could look at male all you want, doesn't mean there's a girl staring back at you behind these eyes.

• Brohoof 1

I sure hope male alicorns can exist and its just a coincidence all currently know Allicorns just happen to be female.

Here is a question, does alicorn always = royalty? What If Twilight became an alicorn and was like 'i Will keep these wings, but I don't want to be a princess, sorry Celestia!'

I would say no. In the journal of the two sisters celestia and luna are crowned and such and they don't really want to be rulers per say more like security for the land. But there is a quote from the movie I love by principal celestia " a true princess in any world leads not by forcing others to bow before her but by inspiring others to stand with her"

Also does one need wings and a horn to rule? can one be a "regular pony" and still rule? is ruling a land more of an attitude than a look. not quite sure how to phrase this. 

I'm going to vote yes simply on the basis that yeah, technically a guy can be a princess because of transgender issues. I myself am transgendered so to be honest I'd enjoy the princess title more then I care to admit. You could look at male all you want, doesn't mean there's a girl staring back at you behind these eyes.

in googeling this princess thing there is a book called warrior princess about a transgender male navy seal.

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Princess-Journey-Coming-Transgender-ebook/dp/B00D5CXCLY

That being said what about the term warrior princess?

I would say no. In the journal of the two sisters celestia and luna are crowned and such and they don't really want to be rulers per say more like security for the land. But there is a quote from the movie I love by principal celestia " a true princess in any world leads not by forcing others to bow before her but by inspiring others to stand with her"

Also does one need wings and a horn to rule? can one be a "regular pony" and still rule? is ruling a land more of an attitude than a look. not quite sure how to phrase this. 

in googeling this princess thing there is a book called warrior princess about a transgender male navy seal.

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Princess-Journey-Coming-Transgender-ebook/dp/B00D5CXCLY

That being said what about the term warrior princess?

Due to my physical age I'm familiar with many transgender stories... Warrior Princess is something i could work with... I already wear the perfect weapons.... I could be called The Rainbow Warrior in real life I suppose.

I would say no. In the journal of the two sisters celestia and luna are crowned and such and they don't really want to be rulers per say more like security for the land.

I don't know about what happens in the 'journal of the two sisters', do they chose to be princesses or are they just born into the role? Are they just thrust into the role via trickery like Twilight was, or what?

It would have been a great example of self-determination if somepony became an alicorn and just said 'I don't want to be a ruler, screw that'.

The Unicorns, Earth Ponies, and Pegasi ruled themselves before Equestria was founded, so yes.

The continuity in this show is laughable so I wouldn't think anything of Blueblood. It's also possible they didn't really think it through when coming up with names and titles. Either way, no it's Prince for males

If he was a transexual, maybe. If there was a male alicorn, he'd be a prince. This should be obvious to anyone who's older than 5.

Edited by A goat