Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you select your friends?

碇 シンジン

Friends?  

37 users have voted

1. 1. Do you select your frends?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you accept if someone wants to be your friend even if you didn't like him before?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Does internet friendship differ from IRL friendship?

• Yes
    • No

Depends on what you mean by select. I'm friends with people who don't annoy me, simple as.

As for IRL and Internet friends, I think especially with  friends you can't hear the voice of, but still with friends you can't see the face of, they're still friends, but it is still a little different if you don't know what's behind the avatar, you know?

As for accepting people I don't like, people fight. Get over it, I say. Love and Tolerate, and sometimes it's better to tolerate than to push them away.

(edited)

Anyone that wishes to strike up a conversation with me, or befriend me, is more than welcome. I usually embrace anyone with open arms. Just treat me with respect, and you'll get it right back.  :D So no, I don't really "select" my friends. I'll be friends with anyone, really.

The main difference between IRL and internet friends, is that even though a person might be cool internet-wise, you still have no freakin' idea how that person behaves socially, when you're actually face to face. They might act completely different and might treat you differently.

And finally - a big part of life is working with people you wouldn't normally choose to be together with, but that's just the way it is. Suck it up, act like an adult and move on. Better to treat someone like you'd want them to treat you, than don't.

Edited by Guest

Do you select your frends?- I tend to just let them select me nowadays, especially since I have low standards for who I want as a friend aside from them being kind and nice to people in general (in other words, I'd end up trying to closely befriend almost everypony here if I didn't restrain myself for my own sake x3).

Do you accept if someone wants to be your friend even if you didn't like him before?- it depends. Normally if I don't like someone, it's for a good reason, like them being rude to other people... I'd want to make sure they've changed their ways, or at least are trying to, before accepting them.

Does internet friendship differ from IRL friendship?- I'm not too familiar with IRL friendships, so perhaps it's not my place to say... but, IRL or on here, my friends would still matter to me. Both kinds of friendships have their own limits, though, so not everything can be the same in either friendship (a friendship based on affection and doing the same hobby together wouldn't be easily managed online, just as one oriented on online gaming and Skype wouldn't always be as close IRL), but genuine friends can still be found, either way.
  • Brohoof 2

I will accept people as friends as long as I know they aren't going to be jerks. I sort of select my friends? It depends on what you mean. I won't go hanging out with random people I don't know, or will treat everyone like they are my friends. If you're a nice and give me respect and trust, I'll be more then happy to have you as a friend! You can literally be a stranger, come up to me and say hi, and I'll say hi back and be as friendly as I can. If you do the same then we'll be friends.  ;)

Now for the second question, it depends again. I do believe in forgiveness and I will forgive you if at first you were a jerk to me or insulted me in anyway. I will still be nice to you though. If I don't like you, it just because you're a jerk towards me. Even when I do forgive them I will probably never become friends with them. I will say hi and help them here and there if they really need it, but I won't hang out or anything like that. 

Lastly, their is a very small difference of friends IRL and friends on the internet. IRL you can find out more and know how they truly are socially. While on the internet, they can act differently or easily fake who they really are. 

• 7 years later...

Yes, Friendship may begin involuntarily, but it is upon your own personal priority and of your own free will that you select the importance of said priorities.. you may start becoming friends with someone organically, and it may seem like you didnt choose, but you are what keeps that person in your life or even in your thoughts for that matter, its upon your own free will that you make this selfless decision... Friendship is often times more intimate than even love, its premise/reward is entirely formed on the basis of obligation and loyalty, you choose these things, and it shows "where your true loyalties lay"...

• 6 months later...

Uuummm ...

I'm very open to talk to and friendly with everyone. It's easy to befriend me on a superficial level. As much closer you want to befriend me, the more selective I get. It takes some time to get to know me better and I'm sure someone is a good person. So it's more complex for me and I make sure to understand what I get myself into before I start walking

Do you select your friends?
Friends comes by unexpectedly for me since I only choose who I feel will be best fit as my acquaintance if they could benefits me. Yes I admit, I use people at first- but when we got this friendship going on, I would feel bad. But then again friendship doesn’t usually last for my case and often left me disappointed. Thus the cycle continues. I choose my ‘friends’ if they benefits me aside from my loyalty. It goes both ways- I benefited from you and you benefited from me for my loyalty. But I suppose that’s why I’m always left feeling disappointed. Probably well deserved.

2. Do you accept if someone wants to be your friend even if you didn't like him before?

hm I rather not. Like I said,

“We don't have to talk
We don't have to dance
We don't have to smile
We don't have to make friends
It's so nice to meet you
Let's never meet again.”

Does internet friendship differ from IRL friendship?

It hard to stay since not all stick around longer anyway.. but I can be more of myself and open when being around my online friends.