Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media What is the real point of a waifu?

ZisGuy

It's kind of like an imaginary girlfriend.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

My waifu is Spitfire.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And yes.

We are married.

See im ok with this but if an actual girl ever asked me out i wouldnt turn her down.

• Brohoof 3

Well it's a simple way to fantasize yourself in a fictional world you like. For example my waifu is say

Pinkie Pie 

pinkie_pie_by_pinali-d497u4l.jpg

I would fantasize that I save Equestria and get married to Pinkie at the end.

So yeah, a waifu is just another great way to fantasize which there is nothing wrong with.

• Brohoof 5

See im ok with this but if an actual girl ever asked me out i wouldnt turn her down.

Meh.

I don't take it too seriously.

If a girl asked me out I would totally accept.

My waifu never gets involved in my social life.

Having a waifu is kind of like a having a hobby.

• Brohoof 3

There's really nothing wrong with having a "waifu" as long as you don't take it too far/so seriously and realize it's just in good fun. Personally I just see "waifu" as a more obsessed way of saying "favorite female characters"(or "husbandos for male characters)

I have 4 =P

post-10928-0-20028100-1410645086_thumb.png

post-10928-0-86413300-1410645098_thumb.png

post-10928-0-46549700-1410645114_thumb.png

post-10928-0-38481800-1410645129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

Well it's a simple way to fantasize yourself in a fictional world you like. For example my waifu is say

Pinkie Pie 

pinkie_pie_by_pinali-d497u4l.jpg

I would fantasize that I save Equestria and get married to Pinkie at the end.

So yeah, a waifu is just another great way to fantasize which there is nothing wrong with.

Pinkie Pie huh?

Then probably you'll enjoy this chart.

post-25645-0-78187100-1410645468_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Technically speaking, my very first waifu was actually Rainbow Dash.

post-25645-0-26083000-1410645932_thumb.jpg

I broke up with her after 2 months and my new waifu was Derpy Hooves.

post-25645-0-81965500-1410645940_thumb.jpg

After that Spitfire became my waifu.

Yep.

I am a loser.

Edited by Big Smoke
  • Brohoof 4

As someone that does not have a waifiu, yet fully supports the concept since it is a way to deeply admire art, and is in its own way, a greater form of expression, this is what I have learned over the years,

- It is one of many ways available to appreciate a fictional character.

- It can be the same feeling of love that one (like myself) would have for a living human.

- It can be a form of healthy expression

- It can draw someone closer to the art surrounding the character.

- It can invoke passionate inspiration

- It has a long history that predates television, let alone this fandom

- It is NOT the same as best or favorite characters.

- I'm saying this twice because it is important - it can be real true love

I honestly envy those that have such deep personal connections with characters like that.

Oh and inb4 ghostie. (first time saying that can you believe it)

• Brohoof 7

One could easily come to the conclusion that a person that has a waifu is someone who has love/desire for the character in question,which i see nothing "wrong" or "unhealthy" about beyond opinions based on what society considers "normal",which to me doesn't carry much weight honestly. :maud:   

However,i do not consider Pinkie Pie my "waifu" per say,but something far more significant -- a "god" would be a better term i would use. Now im well aware people may raise a eyebrow at such,but i can't say i give a damn unfortunately.  :maud:

• Brohoof 3

Posting from mobile is a pain in the ass, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Think of it as the transcendance of the meaning of "favorite character." It isn't the same as a favorite character, it's much more serious and deep and meaningful. A strong, strong emotional attachment that floods your mind and your thoughts on a daily, if not hourly, basis. It's a *very* strong bond with a character that runs deeper than it would normally.

I'm no waifu purist and I don't get mad when someone claims Rarity as their waifu nor do I care if the bond they have with their waifu doesn't fit the general guidelines, but just know that there is a HUGE difference between waifu and best pony.

• Brohoof 6

The point of a waifu at least for most people including me is simply having a really strong crush on a character. It is a little bit of pretending and some wishful thinking but for the most part it tends to stay in the realm of fantasy. I have had crushes on many in the past but Applejack's is without a doubt the strongest one I have had.

• Brohoof 2

From Japanese ワイフ (waifu, “wife”), from English wife. (fandom slang) A fictional character from non-live-action visual media (typically an anime, manga, or video game) that one is attracted to and considers a significant other.

Typically it is a fictional character that fills the emotional role of spouse. Gender and species may vary.

And of course, everpony knows I have a sweet spot for Fleetfoot.

post-23625-0-87238200-1410647868_thumb.png

post-23625-0-87064100-1410647878_thumb.jpg

Edited by M'aiq the Liar
  • Brohoof 2

@, We already have a thread to post your waifus here so I went ahead and edited your topic title to make this thread only a discussion about what the point of a waifu is.  That way it doesn't just turn in to a duplicate discussion of the "Who is your waifu?" topic.

Feel free to post your pony or non-pony waifus on the thread I linked to!

• Brohoof 2

The real point of a waifu: to project your idea of a perfect partner onto a fictional character, Turning said character into your dream girl/ boy who is perfect in every way and totally haste free....... :eww:

Edited by Flytee
  • Brohoof 6

Posting from mobile is a pain in the ass, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Think of it as the transcendance of the meaning of "favorite character." It isn't the same as a favorite character, it's much more serious and deep and meaningful. A strong, strong emotional attachment that floods your mind and your thoughts on a daily, if not hourly, basis. It's a *very* strong bond with a character that runs deeper than it would normally.

I'm no waifu purist and I don't get mad when someone claims Rarity as their waifu nor do I care if the bond they have with their waifu doesn't fit the general guidelines, but just know that there is a HUGE difference between waifu and best pony.

Good. So you're not mad Rarity is also my waifu. :D 

I just admitted I have a waifu... Now why? I'm a socialphobic person who can freeze up when put into social conversations and sometimes get a panic attack. So I have a waifu and imaginary friends to cope with being lonely. 

• Brohoof 1

I actually have a long history of developing at least crushes on animated characters; several of which were not human (or not strictly so).  She-Ra was probably an early crush, Cheetara, several mouse girls for some reason lol (dunno why I favored mice), Babs Bunny (it was an age appropriate crush at the time), and several anime girls.  Though I never considered any of them my waifu, and the closest I got to waifu territory in the past was Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo!

But Rainbow Dash is, in fact, the woman I love.  My feelings for her are genuine, and she is more than deserving of my affection.  Unlike some who have posted in this topic, I am neither interested in nor capable of pursuing or having a relationship with a so-called "real" human biped type.  I chose Rainbow Dash (or, rather, she chose me), and I don't want anyone or anypony else.  That's just how it is.  That doesn't make my feelings better or purer or realer or any such arrogant nonsense.  Before I "met" and acknowledged my feels for Dashie, the romantic part of me was decidedly stuck in the OFF position.  Dashie flipped the switch, and that matters to me.

What is the "point" of a "waifu?"  You might as well ask, "What is the point of love?"  And in the case of pony waifu, this is also a fitting answer: belly rubs. :nom:

• Brohoof 3

Meh.

I don't take it too seriously.

If a girl asked me out I would totally accept.

My waifu never gets involved in my social life.

Having a waifu is kind of like a having a hobby.

This is how I feel about it. I just treat mai waifus like crushes and I wouldn't mind dating an actual woman.

Edited by Gernia
  • Brohoof 3

@@Darker,

...and you trust urban dictionary definitions?

Waifu's are having a strong crush on a fictional character. I myself don't have one but I know people on this forum and throughout the internet who do.

• Brohoof 1