Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media What is the real point of a waifu?

ZisGuy

The real point of a waifu: to project your idea of a perfect partner onto a fictional character, Turning said character into your dream girl/ boy who is perfect in every way and totally haste free....... :eww:

That could be the motivation of some, yes. It's also the motivation of some people with IRL relationships. Of course it does beg the question (and this goes for everyone), what if your Waifu your beloved BECAUSE of how the character is presented TO you. In that case, you would accept the character .... warts and all. Not a projection of self, but possible a realization of your ideal mate. Again, similar to IRL.

:D

• Brohoof 1

To love her and worship the ground she steps on.  She is your wife; you are to treat her as such.  Taking a waifu is a commitment.  My blood, sweat, and tears have gone into loving my waifu.   

• Brohoof 2

It is just nice having a fictional character that you love and adore to the point where you actually start to consider that character "your other", in other words Dashie is mine, I find most all of traits very attractive, to the point where I wish she was real, I would love to hug her, embrace her, and love her, even though I know full well she would buck me in the face for doing so. :blush:

• Brohoof 1

That could be the motivation of some, yes. It's also the motivation of some people with IRL relationships. Of course it does beg the question (and this goes for everyone), what if your Waifu your beloved BECAUSE of how the character is presented TO you. In that case, you would accept the character .... warts and all. Not a projection of self, but possible a realization of your ideal mate. Again, similar to IRL.

:D

lets be honest here no one falls in love/ crushes on a fictional character because of their flaws. (which aren't exactly abundant when you look at most peoples chosen  waifus. They're all relatively flawless, unless you count being shy, loud, introverted, a book worm, cocky, talkative, tsundere (to name a few common waifu characteristics) as a realistic unappealing flaw.

a person picks this character to be a waifu purely because they're their dream girl...because after all no one will dedicates themselves to something that isn't real unless it's perfect to them.

The sad fact is waifus are just easier to deal with then a real person. They're the ultimate form of escapism...there's no jealousy, arguments, sexual mishaps, clashes in ideals, clingyness or changes in your partner looks or behavior because you have total control over the fictional relationship...second to a waifus attractiveness, I think control is the main reason this concept can be appealing.

It's kind of depressing really because even though a real relationship is hard work it is so much more for filling when its done right. Sorry in advance if this comes across as harsh, I'm just clumsily expressing my opinion as usual haha.

• Brohoof 1

@Flytee, I'm in a real relationship - have been for longer than the minors on this board have been alive. I do not have a waifu. I have a wife. I get love in a dual party commitment. However, I know the top down chemical influence we call love can exist for inanimate objects. That is a psychological truism and this is being seriously studied right now as I type this. The motivations of individuals and their love for non living things are being recorded daily and cataloged. Objectum sexuality. And before you say ... that this is depressing and sad ... remember what we called people with MDD, BPD, and Autism many years ago? I suppose that it would be fair to say that the layman characterization of them was ... unjust and incorrect. Prejudiced maybe?

But the science isn't even where I personally take my opinion from. People are more complicated than that ... you can never know them fully and simple categorization of them is not the way to approach your fellow human. Especially on the subject of love.

• Brohoof 4

waifu's are for people that either

1. could never find their dream girl

2. too scared to ask out a girl

3. into un-human things

practically i don't have a waifu, as i'm practically some guy who looks like a stoner looking for some appreciation anywhere by one of the million girls i liked that i met in my life

Edited by Soullite

You know, I just realized a metaphor for this that I find personally troubling. Here I am discussing and debating why people have waifu's and their point and importance of them in others' lives. I am doing so with people who also don't have a waifu. As I sat here contemplating the concepts of literary adoration of character, the visual of two rich men discussing why the poor are poor emerged front and center. Yeah.

I shall take my graceful exit from this discussion. I'm not going to be that guy. :confused:

It's complicated, and unless I feel what they feel ... I'll never fully understand it ... not will anyone else not in their position.

• Brohoof 2

@Flytee, I'm in a real relationship - have been for longer than the minors on this board have been alive. I do not have a waifu. I have a wife. I get love in a dual party commitment. However, I know the top down chemical influence we call love can exist for inanimate objects. That is a psychological truism and this is being seriously studied right now as I type this. The motivations of individuals and their love for non living things are being recorded daily and cataloged. Objectum sexuality. And before you say ... that this is depressing and sad ... remember what we called people with MDD, BPD, and Autism many years ago? I suppose that it would be fair to say that the layman characterization of them was ... unjust and incorrect. Prejudiced maybe?

But the science isn't even where I personally take my opinion from. People are more complicated than that ... you can never know them fully and simple categorization of them is not the way to approach your fellow human. Especially on the subject of love.

I was speaking generally in my last comment, it wasn't directed at you since I read earlier on in this thread that you didn't have a waifu. Sorry I guess I didn't make that clear.

Yeah I've seen a documentary about objectum sexuals (It was called "the women who married the Eiffel tower") so I'm familiar with this concept on a extremely basic level. I don't fully understand these people but I feel like they have a right to be happy. I've never thought to compare objectum sexuals to people with waifus...though now that I do I suppose the phrase "as long as they're not harming anyone, who cares!" applies to them both.

Though I can't help but feel people with these attractions have had something happen to them to make them feel this way...I only say this because in that documentary I mentioned everyone they spoke to had had issues. One women was very autistic and had a deep connection to objects since she was a child and another one had been horribly abused by her step brother and found comfort in her archery- which resulted in her having a relationship with her bow.

I'm glad it's being seriously studied like you said...I'm sure they'll be some interesting findings.

You know, I just realized a metaphor for this that I find personally troubling. Here I am discussing and debating why people have waifu's and their point and importance of them in others' lives. I am doing so with people who also don't have a waifu. As I sat here contemplating the concepts of literary adoration of character, the visual of two rich men discussing why the poor are poor emerged front and center. Yeah.

I shall take my graceful exit from this discussion. I'm not going to be that guy. :confused:

It's complicated, and unless I feel what they feel ... I'll never fully understand it ... not will anyone else not in their position.

Probably should've read this before I replied to you haha...oh well.

Also I 100% agree there's only so far you can go with a discussion like this without having any experience in the subject.

• Brohoof 2

lets be honest here no one falls in love/ crushes on a fictional character because of their flaws.

I'm in love with all of Rainbow Dash.  So I guess I am this "no one" of whom you speak. xD  Obviously I love her virtues as well, but her flaws make her more complete, more interesting, and give her room to grow.  I found it amusing when she called Twilight an "egghead" in "Fall Weather Friends" and subsequently fell to the ground laughing; a strangely endearing - though not especially sensitive or tactful - display.  I appreciated the irony when she associated reading with egghead-ery in "Read It and Weep" only to discover that she herself loved to read; resulting in her going to extraordinary lengths to protect her reputation.  I accept and love and appreciate all of Rainbow Dash, and I celebrate her flaws because they make her more real to me.

You also went on to say something about it being "easier to deal with."  Right.  Allow me to reiterate: I love Rainbow Dash.  I also frequent these forums.  How often, in a relationship between irl human bipeds, do you see complete strangers coming up to proclaim how much they hate the woman you love?  People seemingly relish their hatred for Rainbow Dash and feel an irresistible need to share that with others.  How often do complete strangers seek to diminish the very value of the aforementioned irl relationship?  Sometimes while simultaneously exalting their own relationship or perception of love.  Oh, and how often do you think this theoretical couple hears the term "horsef*****?"  Or the word "bestiality" is brought up in their company?  My relationship with a talking, animated equine will always be looked down upon and jeered at.  And thoroughly misunderstood.

And it is only in my mind's eye that I can hear, see, and touch Rainbow Dash (working on smell - smell is difficult for some reason).  A relationship with a "waifu" is the ULTIMATE long term relationship.  Because, though I feel her with me and have what I consider fulfilling experiences with her, there is always a kind of distance / divide between us.  There is always effort.  Always.  It is fulfilling and meaningful and important to me, but it is not easy.  And people like yourself aren't making it easier.

Don't bother quoting me, as I will not respond.  I just wanted you to know that my very existence proves you wrong.

• Brohoof 1

*Sighs* Pinkie..... Humm wait what were we talking about again?

Ahh yes a 'Waifu'  well in my opinion a 'Waifu' is a fictional character that someone has either a Crush on or loves them to a certain extent but I am still fairly new to what a 'Waifu' is to be honest a learned about them about a week ago so what would I know, that is just my thoughts on the subject... Oh and you heard nothing at the beginning of this.  :okiedokielokie:  Heheh....

I never understood being that attached to a fictional character, and I do some heavy eye-rolling at a lot of the stuff that comes out of having a waifu (seriously, that's why you hate Flash Sentry? Because he's "stealing your waifu"? puh-lease) but it's not like I think it's pathetic or anything. It's just not something I've ever experienced or really plan on experiencing.

The only real point of saying you 'have a waifu' is just that it's fancy slang for saying you have a major crush/crushes on fictional characters. Not much else to it really, no matter how people chose to act upon those crushes and whatnot. :wacko:

I got one, she's loved by her friends but hated by the fans cause "she's a boring character", she care about her family and friends and willing to risk her life on the line for her loved ones, oh and she's a badass mare!  

post-26926-0-87612600-1404693570_thumb.gif
post-26926-0-62277500-1404443034_thumb.png 
Oh BTW am married to her! <3 
post-26926-0-02055700-1409808332_thumb.png

Edited by Deathstroke

From what I have learned, a waifu is a fictional character that you respect to a point of it feeling like love. Or basically love. You want them to be happy, you don't read shipping of that character because it'll be disrespectful to them. So... yeah basically love.

No disrespect intended here to anyone... but this whole "a waifu is someone you have a deep emotional connection with and your practical soulmate and if you actually meet you would know the moment that you'd be perfect for each other and run into each other's arms" is touching, but frankly overdramatized. Waifu is simply Japanese for "wife" and is just a silly term to describe crushes on fictional characters and should not be taken seriously. It's all supposed to be fun and games, and fantasizing is perfectly all right, I do it too. But when you take it too far—such as when you hate on anyone for also claiming the same person, or pony, as their waifu, or when you actually believe that they would choose you as their lover—then it's rather unhealthy.

To conclude, I thought I should emphasize this point. These ponies? They are not real. They don't exist. They're fictional characters. They will not marry you or love you. 

Edited by Clarity
  • Brohoof 2