Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Rocks

Lightwing

I finally watched this on Netflix yesterday and was, overall, pleasantly surprised as I came into fully expecting it to be just as bad - if not even worse - than the first one, which was pretty much just a poorly-put together Mean Girls wannabe (and Mean Girls is one of my favorite movies, btw. That's how a SMART high school movie is done. As a future high school English teacher, I just love it) that was pretty much an insult to Mean Girls AND to FiM.  From all the promotional material, the second EqG looked even lamer - a singing competition? Yeah, that sounds epically exciting...

However, it was surprisingly not-terrible! I'd even watch it again if only for the songs.  It started out a bit cringe-worthy (especially that "Better than Ever" song - wasn't there one pretty much just like it in High School Musical?) but it really picked up around the "Battle of the Bands" scene. I thought this one felt more Mean Girls-ish than the original with a better Regina George stand-in (what was her name again? Adagio...something?) and she even had Karen and Gretchen this time! Meanwhile, redeemed Regina George (a.k.a Sunset Shimmer) was pretty cool this time around.  The whole bringing-up-her-past-discretions was definitely an overused joke, though.  "This is getting so old!" I even said out loud the third time it happened.

Also, I guess I have a bit of inner Mean Girl myself because I found the scenes with the Mane Five bickering hilarious! While they weren't shown in their best light ever, I definitely found the tensions in-character, especially everyone's annoyance with Rainbow Dash.  Rarity and Applejack's conflict was also nice and reminded me of "Look Before you Sleep."

That said, it definitely wasn't perfect.  Twilight didn't do much, Spike did even less and I was SO disappointed that we didn't get a Crusaders song! They had the same costumes their pony counterparts in "Show Stoppers" and everything. Flash Sentry was bland in the first movie, but mildly likable.  Not so much, this time around.  Does he get that Twilight isn't human or not? Because if he does, then that's borderline ick.

Random quote I liked: "Go to bed, Sonata." This was most likely unintentional, but Sonata is the name of a sleeping pill that my roommate takes. Lol.

Edited by Carolina

I enjoyed Rainbow Rocks better then the first one, the songs, the great animation, everything. I enjoyed it, but there were a few of scenes where it seemed to me like cash grabs. Like, Vinyl's car. I knew right at the look of the car that it was going to become a TRANSFORMER ULTRA DJ HUB.

So here's something that bothers me. Why is Sunset able to see the dark magic the sirens use so easily, able to tell when they're using it and who is influenced? Even Twilight didn't notice it under the stage and she's a magical pony, but Sunset still sees it.

Anyone else noticed THIS when human Luna and Celestia were listening to The Dazzlings in Rainbow Rocks?

Just HOW MUCH were they making everyone like them?

img-3418255-1-02XEfx8.png

I forgot....I think it's because of The Dazzlings. 

• Brohoof 1

I do not know if anyone noticed, but I thought about the end of Rainbow Rocks. It displays a paradox. Which in return is right due to it being a parallel universe. And I pondered on this idea. I realized one thing. If Sunset Shimmer originally came from Equestria, she is to have a paradox as well. It all made sense when I though about it. I do not know if someone already thought of this but what about the others who did in fact came from Equestria. Like The Dazzlings?

Edited by packapunch3

I found this movie a lot better than the first and the writers did good on their part by learning from past mistakes, Daniel Ingram was outstanding with the songs one of the big reasons I keep re-watching the movie.I actually found Sunset to be enjoyable in the movie, seeing her learning life lessons and trying to be apart of the group while other just belittle her wait for her to screw up and turn into old Sunset Shimmer was expected but well written for her part. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love Rainbow Rocks, this movie was far better than the first, although don't get me wrong I love the first one, but this one was super awesome. The music was so cool I had to have the soundtrack, which I listen to often, hell I just watched the movie again yesterday for what feels like the 200th time. All in all the movie rocks, and I can't wait for the next one.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Rocks was exciting to me, I loved the original film, So I bought the DVD, I was quite happy with the product, The Dazzlings are my favorite villans so far.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't like the movie. That's because In my opinion, Equestria Girls is awful.

The plot didn't make much sense. The sirens were nothing like sirens in greek mythology, and it didn't make sense how the gas which was suppose to make people 'adore' them made the battle of the bands rage harder. Surely if the gas made the students adore them, they would stop what they were doing and let them win. It also wasn't fully explained how they couldn't use magic and why only now they are striking. Also how they seem to have wasted all of season 4 when they could have made their attack on CHS, (It starts at the end of EQG, and then skips to after Twilight's Kingdom).

I also hate the premise, because I feel that it goes against what Lauren set out to do. Arctofire's blog spoke about what I mean, and I agree with a lot of what he said.

There is some stuff to like about it, I thought Sunset Shimmer was done quite well despite the sudden character change, and Shine Like Rainbows was a nice song. But ultimately, Equestria Girls is not my thing and I almost hate it. 

Edited by The Fiery Brony
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed a few things in RR that I thought were quite profound.

1) While sitting at the statue and waiting for Twilight to show up, Sunset is reading the journal, and has quite a sad look on her face. She's reminiscing over her past with Celestia, all the cruel things she said, and all the lost opportunities.

2) Fluttershy wrote the Rainbooms section of "Welcome to the Show". Now think of those words in context with Fluttershy's character.

"

Oh-oh, oh-whoa-oh

I've got the music in me

Oh-oh, oh-whoa-oh  

Don't need to hear a crowd Cheering out my name

I didn't come here seeking Infamy or fame  

The one and only thing That I am here to bring

Is music, is the music

Is the music in my soul

Gonna break out (Out!)

Set myself free, yeah

Let it all go (Go!)

Just let it be, yeah  

Find the music in your heart

Let the music make you start

To set yourself apart

You're never gonna bring me down

You're never gonna break this part of me

My friends are here to bring me 'round

Not singing just for popularity

We're here to let you know

That we won't let it go

Our music is a bomb and it's about to blow  

And you can try to fight

But we have got the light of Friendship on our side!

Got the music in our hearts

We're here to blow this thing apart

And together, we will never 

Be afraid of the dark  

Here to sing our song out loud

Get you dancing with the crowd

As the music of our friendship Survives, survives "  

I love that it was Fluttershy who wrote this. Well played, Mustard Hush, well played.

• Brohoof 3

I really enjoyed it the first couple of times that I watched it, but I tried to watch it again last night and I just couldn't do it. I like the concept of it but unlike the actual mlp episodes, it is a movie that I will not be able to enjoy watching again and again.