Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is Nintendo irrelevant?

Lankman

I can personally say that Nintendo is not dying or is irrelevant. Sure, they had a couple rough years. Did it mean they were doomed? No. This winter season I think will be their best one in years, with Bayonetta 2 and SSB4, both for the Wii U; Pokémon OR/AS for the 3DS and a couple others will be a huge help to get their sales back up.

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Nintendo so far is winning in terms of games that people actually want to play. I have a Wii U and PS4, and right now the only thing I play on my PS4 is Minecraft and DC Universe Online.

• Brohoof 2

I've heard of people talking about Nintendo like they're the modern Sega. I don't think Nintendo is going anywhere anytime soon. Will they garner a lot of 3rd party support? Probably not. But their first party IP like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon are still hugely popular. It would have been a good move on their part to use the x86 architecture, but they'll probably end up doing that in their next console. For them to rip out the Wii U and put out the next gen console would be stupid. Sega already tried that with the 32x, then the Sega CD, and then saying "Actually what you really need is a Sega Saturn" and then only a few years after that saying "No. What you really need is a Sega Dreamcast." Granted that the Dreamcast was awesome, nobody trusted Sega anymore. People still love and trust Nintendo. I just wish Nintendo would stop trying too hard to stand out and be different. I don't think the tablet controller was a terrible idea, but they need to do more to focus on the more hardcore gamer. They have the casual gamers. 

I go back to my "probably end up doing that in their next console." I'm tired of Nintendo doing this. Playing catch-up. They missed the HD bandwagon and now they've missed the x86 architecture bandwagon. If they could have learned anything from Sony it's this: DON'T USE FUNKY ARCHITECTURE! Not that I'm saying that the Wii U architecture is funky. But it's not what is widely used. 

I love the idea of x86 being used on consoles though. It means we might get more ports to PC since consoles are finally using the same architecture we've been using for...like...forever. 

Nintendo used to be the powerhouse. The NES was awesome. The SNES was the leader in its generation. Sure there was no "blast processing" (take that with a grain of salt) but it outperformed the Genesis in every other aspect. Not that the Genesis wasn't good because it had as many good titles as the SNES did. The N64 wasn't the most powerful of its generation - that title belonged to the Dreamcast - but it was a damn good system with some damn good titles. And it's still relevant to this day. The GameCube, I think, is where Nintendo started to slip off. It wasn't pretty to look at, they couldn't have chosen much of a worse color for the launch system, and the game discs were much smaller than the DVDs used in the PS2 and Xbox so they were limited to only 1.7 GB compared to the 4.7 GB of the others. That was a lot of sacrifice. That and DVDs were HUGE at the time. Nintendo missed out on a big opportunity by not allowing it to play DVD movies. They should have learned from the original PlayStation that being able to play other media in your console was a big deal. I mean, even the Wii used a standard size disc but it still can't play a CD or DVD. What the hell? 

Anyway, Nintendo is still a force to be reckoned with. I see them hanging around for, at least, another 10 years or so. But I feel like if the console market just doesn't deliver like PCs can, 3rd party devs will leave consoles (because I really feel like 1440p and 4k are really going to take off this generation and the current consoles just won't be able to do that on GPUs that are comparable to probably a Radeon 7800 series) and consumers won't be far behind. Gamers will go where the games are. 

Not a PC gamer mustard race post. But if you think about it, 1080p was the ultimate standard in 2009. Even the PS3's OS can handle 1080p and it even plays a few games at that. And the previous gen (7th gen) felt like a huge leap forward. They were still relevant all the way up to the end of their life cycles. 8th gen just feels like catch up and they're going to be struggling in 2 or 3 years. I'll be amazed if they're still a big deal by 2018. I really feel like the 9th generation will be severely rushed. 

And I love Nintendo. I have my old N64, GameCube, and Wii. I'd like to get a SNES or a clone that's equally as good. But being a purist, I really want the legit SNES. I just hope they're not all yellow by now :lol:

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 1

Yes the Wii U is not selling very well but the 3DS on the other hand is dominating the handheld market. Nintendo is making a lot of really stupid mistakes with its home consoles by not having any third party support and not releasing nearly enough games and not giving us enough original properties in addition to the ones they already have. I love Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda but they aren't going to be able to compete with those guys alone. The Wii sold very well, the best of its generation but the reason was because though most of the Wii's early games sucked people liked the motion controls (I didn't but uh well go figure) and its cheap price point. It also didn't take as long for the Wii to deliver as it is taking for the Wii U to deliver but in all fairness the Playstation 4 and Xboxone (could they pick a more idiotic and pretentious name?) also don't have that many games yet. But they have all of these bells and whistles that while I couldn't care less about them a lot of other people actually do.

I can understand your frustration with some of Nintendo's dumb decisions but not having enough third party support for example but I think it still a bit soon to say that Nintendo is dying. If Nintendo started tanking in the portable market than I think you would have a much stronger argument. Of course Nintendo can't rely solely on that, with increased competition with cell phone and internet games Nintendo can't afford to get too cocky. Also while it is great that they are trying to expand their audience into casual gamers and keep families on board I feel a lot of times they tend to forget about everyone else in the picture. While Nintendo is blowing it on the home console market they seem to be doing mostly the right thing in the portable market.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, even if Nintendo screws up, they are still doing well enough that they can bounce back. But even then, that isn't the case, your over exaggerating the hate towards Nintendo. 

The reason it may seem like Nintendo is hated so much, is because the ones who hate them will feel more inclined to say something, and the ones who are indifferent, or like them, may not go out of their way to say anything as often.I mean honestly, most of the time if people have nothing more to say than, "This is good" or "I Like this" or whatever, something along those lines, they don't usually bother saying it. 

Meanwhile, people who dislike things seem to feel the need to say that much more so than those who like things.

It's just how things work, and why the hate towards nintendo may seem bigger than it actually is.

And besides, Microsoft and Sony get their share of hate, as anything does really. But they get their share of love too.

I still love Nintendo personally, infact, the only next gen console I currently have is my 3DS, which I love, I have several games I have enjoyed playing on it(Especially the new smash bros, not to mention Pokemon, Luigi's mansion, Animal crossing, and others I have yet to play.)

Meanwhile, consoles have a lot of 3rd party games right now, and especially since I've recently got a more powerful PC, and started to get more into PC gaming, i don't feel as inclined to go after next gen games on consoles, when I can just buy them on PC. 

And even when I buy consoles, I usually buy them either for the console exclusives, or because the majority of my friends have one or the other or something. 

So sure, the Wii U didn't go amazingly as far as console sales, but it isn't going to destroy Nintendo. I'm not saying Nintendo is perfect either, they have their flaws and mistakes they've made, but they are far from being irrelevant.

• Brohoof 2

if everyone hated Nintendo, their business wouldn't still be as successful as it is. That much should be obvious. So Maybe not as many people hate Nintendo as you're making the numbers out to be.

I don't have any real feelings concerning the company. The only game I really play is Pokemon, anyway.

Nintendo is still the dominant force in the handheld market, and based on the number of people I see my age (as in people in their 20s) who have a 3DS, I'd say they're doing pretty well in that respect. I also know that they're releasing many new titles for the Wii U that people are really excited about, most notably the next Super Smash Bros (which if you've forgotten, is pretty much the most popular series ever). 

And it isn't as if Sony and Microsoft haven't bombed too. The Xbox One was pretty thoroughly despised as far as I could tell, and the Vita couldn't hold a candle to Nintendo's handhelds. In fact, Vita's failure has been attributed in part to its superior graphics, an interesting note considering how many people here have complained about Nintendo's inferior graphics. A major downfall of the Vita was that, due to the system's graphics, it was so expensive to make games for it that third parties weren't willing to take the risk.

Point being, even if Nintendo isn't doing as well as they were, they're still hugely popular. In fact, the only people I see complaining are the bratty teens who aren't interested in playing games that don't involve shooting people while shouting slurs and obscenities at them. Not a crowd who's opinions I'm too concerned with, honestly...

• Brohoof 4

Okay, okay, I did go a little over-board, I apologize for not acting my age, I'm just very disappointed in Nintendo these days, but they are fixing a few things, they are actually marketing their games now, like commercials and what not, like Bayonetta 2 is getting commercials, that's really cool, so yeah, they are fixing problems, slowly but surely, and again, I apologize :)

• Brohoof 1

Zelda ain't as popular as it used to, the newest Zelda, skyward sword, sold 3 million copies, Zelda usually sells over 4 million copies.

Oh no, the new Zelda sold 1 million less copies than the average, the sky is falling!

...you can't be serious, right? While Nintendo ain't doing so well in the home console market, on the handheld front they're absolutely dominating; the PS Vita doesn't come anywhere close to the 3DS' sales, anywhere. I myself am a pretty outspoken PC gamer, but I love my 3DS, as do millions of other people. Besides, Nintendo's survived a failed console now, the Gamecube - and they have plenty of money to survive bleeding money for the next 50 years. As for the hate Nintendo gets on, say, YouTube, people hate Nintendo because they're perceived as "kiddy" and the Wii U is the weakest out of the Wii U, PS4, Xbox One and PC, but then people hate the other three platforms too. Why? Because it makes them feel edgy. People will hate something if it makes them feel edgy.

Yes, I know I've spoken out about the PS4 and Xbox One before, but at least I provide more valid reasons for it - most people I've seen hate them because "LOL Xbox One doesn't have GDDR5!", "LOL Xbox One can't 1080p/60FPS!" or "LOL PS4 has only rehashed games and indies!"

• Brohoof 2

You guys are seriously worried about Nintendo going out of business? Not gonna happen. Game consoles and videogames are Nintendo's bread and butter. The people you are listening to are clearly haters cuz Nintendo has made more money than both Sony and Microsoft for a long time now. If anything it's THEM who are in danger of going out of business.

Well Sony might go out of business, but Microsoft won't, but I heard they are trying to sell off the Xbox devision because it isn't profitable, and since the Xbone is selling badly, it is hurting their devision even more, Nintendo has seen companies come and go, maybe Sony and Microsoft are next, unless they make a comeback somehow.

I just over reacted.

Well I hope Nintendo make a comeback with their next console, but I don't really see that happening, PlayStation is what everyone cares about these days.

also, I think commenters on youtube are in the minority.

Yeah, I guess Nintendo has a few fans left, but not as much as they used to.

Well Sony might go out of business, but Microsoft won't, but I heard they are trying to sell off the Xbox devision because it isn't profitable, and since the Xbone is selling badly, it is hurting their devision even more, Nintendo has seen companies come and go, maybe Sony and Microsoft are next, unless they make a comeback somehow.

I just over reacted.

Well I hope Nintendo make a comeback with their next console, but I don't really see that happening, PlayStation is what everyone cares about these days.

also, I think commenters on youtube are in the minority.

Yeah, I guess Nintendo has a few fans left, but not as much as they used to.

No, Nintendo is richer than Sony.

Microsoft is fine.

The rumors of Microsoft selling off the Xbox division were just that, rumors. The media spun Gates' statement of supporting the new CEO in whichever direction he was going to take the company. They are far more than just a console company and are in no danger of folding, not even remotely close.

Sony on the other hand is literally banking on its successful PlayStation division to offset the beating it's taking from Samsung in its traditionally highly profitable television market share among other losses, such as its recently sold consumer computing brand, VAIO.

Nintendo, meanwhile, is sitting on about $10 billion in the bank, so no worries there.

The rumors of Microsoft selling off the Xbox division were just that, rumors. The media spun Gates' statement of supporting the new CEO in whichever direction he was going to take the company. They are far more than just a console company and are in no danger of folding, not even remotely close.

Sony on the other hand is literally banking on its successful PlayStation division to offset the beating it's taking from Samsung in its traditionally highly profitable television market share among other losses, such as it's recently sold consumer computing brand, VAIO.

Nintendo, meanwhile, is sitting on about $10 billion in the bank, so no worries there.

Egggggsssssssacctttllllyyy.

Another important thing to remember is that Nintendo is a company that exclusively makes gaming merchandise, while Microsoft and Sony both do a lot of other things. If Playstation wasn't profitable anymore Sony could just drop it and focus more on TVs and speakers and such, and even if Microsoft never turned a profit on a single Xbox it probably wouldn't change the fact that Bill Gates is rich enough to buy an entire goddamn horse ranch on a whim (which he did, that wasn't just an example I pulled out of my hat).

Another important thing to remember is that Nintendo is a company that exclusively makes gaming merchandise, while Microsoft and Sony both do a lot of other things. If Playstation wasn't profitable anymore Sony could just drop it and focus more on TVs and speakers and such, and even if Microsoft never turned a profit on a single Xbox it probably wouldn't change the fact that Bill Gates is rich enough to buy an entire goddamn horse ranch on a whim (which he did, that wasn't just an example I pulled out of my hat).

Actually, Playstation is Sony's only leg to stand on.

Samsung happened.

Actually, Playstation is Sony's only leg to stand on.

Samsung happened.

They do have some competition, true, but it remains true that they don't have all their eggs in one basket, so to speak. They at least have other things to sell if not game consoles

They do have some competition, true, but it remains true that they don't have all their eggs in one basket, so to speak. They at least have other things to sell if not game consoles

...which they would go out of business in.

(IF playstation didn't exist)

...which they would go out of business in.

(IF playstation didn't exist)

Which still doesn't render the point I made untrue  :confused:

Regardless, I don't see anyone going out of business anytime soon, and if I did it would all be vaguely-informed speculation at best. It's not as if we know what's going on in those huge corporations. Personally, I'm glad no one appears to be sinking, the game market would be awfully boring if it got to the point where it was dominated by a single console, would it not?

• Brohoof 1

Which still doesn't render the point I made untrue  :confused:

Regardless, I don't see anyone going out of business anytime soon, and if I did it would all be vaguely-informed speculation at best. It's not as if we know what's going on in those huge corporations. Personally, I'm glad no one appears to be sinking, the game market would be awfully boring if it got to the point where it was dominated by a single console, would it not?

we need to have VIDEO GAME companies trying to win the CONSOLE WARS by making the BEST GAMES.

NOT by having netflix and shit