Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is Nintendo irrelevant?

Lankman

I'm guessing you haven't played Hyrule Warriors.   (Also, Skyward Sword is pretty drastically different from the others, what with how linear it is by comparison. Plus, stamina.)

Yahtzee did a Zero Punctuation on Hyrule Warriors, and from his review a got the impression that it is just a re-skinned version of Dynasty Warriors.  So technically it is not like every other Zelda game, but rather like every other Dynasty Warriors game.  I guess that is good if you happen to like Dynasty Warriors, although I really never cared for that series. 

Also, making Zelda more linear is not helping.  What ever happened to making Zelda more like Link to the Past, where once you got to the Dark World you could freely go about your business however you pleased.  If your going to rip your own IP off, at least rip off your good IP.

Okay, fine, that's your opinion.

But Every Zelda is different, you can call me a fanboy all you want, they are very different each instalment , the reason why they are kind of the same Is because it has Link in it.

and also, you are wrong about their upcoming games, very wrong.

Every Zelda also has a series of dungeons with puzzles based around the one secondary item you find in the big key chest including the boomerang, hookshot, bow, etc. and the puzzles invariable have the block pushing puzzle, the target shooting puzzle, the pressure plate puzzle, the hookshot puzzle, etc. and culminate in a boss battle where you exploit their weakness using the item you found in that dungeon.  You'll have to fight Gannon at the end, save Zelda, go through the mandatory stealth section, buy bigger wallets, bomb bags and quivers.  Upgrade your sword and shield.  There was a time when this stuff was actually new but now you are just going through the motions.

Also, how am I wrong about there games?  Did they stop recycling their IP endlessly when I wasn't looking?

Yahtzee did a Zero Punctuation on Hyrule Warriors, and from his review a got the impression that it is just a re-skinned version of Dynasty Warriors.  So technically it is not like every other Zelda game, but rather like every other Dynasty Warriors game.  I guess that is good if you happen to like Dynasty Warriors, although I really never cared for that series. 

Also, making Zelda more linear is not helping.  What ever happened to making Zelda more like Link to the Past, where once you got to the Dark World you could freely go about your business however you pleased.  If your going to rip your own IP off, at least rip off your good IP.

I haven't played Dynasty Warriors, so I couldn't say. All I'm saying is that it renders the claim that every Zelda game is the same inaccurate.

My point was not about whether or not the choices they made were good. My point was that they do make different choices. That being said, while people do complain about the linearity of Skyward Sword, I don't see many people who outright dislike this game or count it as a deal breaker.

The claim that making every Zelda game like A Link to the Past would help the franchise goes against the diversity argument that you were trying to make earlier. In fact, it's the copying of the formula that's made a lot of franchises that Nintendo has, such as Mario, devolve from where they were going before. If you haven't noticed lately, a lot of games have been playing at this "nostalgia" view and we get a lot of more of the same games that way. The Mario series isn't the only one plagued with these decisions, either. The Sonic series has started to go down this route (except in their case they forgot what made their old games good and fun to play). It's no longer about putting in different ideas these days; it's about appealing to people who want the old formulas back.

Every Zelda also has a series of dungeons with puzzles based around the one secondary item you find in the big key chest including the boomerang, hookshot, bow, etc. and the puzzles invariable have the block pushing puzzle, the target shooting puzzle, the pressure plate puzzle, the hookshot puzzle, etc. and culminate in a boss battle where you exploit their weakness using the item you found in that dungeon.  You'll have to fight Gannon at the end, save Zelda, go through the mandatory stealth section, buy bigger wallets, bomb bags and quivers.  Upgrade your sword and shield.  There was a time when this stuff was actually new but now you are just going through the motions.

Also, how am I wrong about there games?  Did they stop recycling their IP endlessly when I wasn't looking?

So basically... everything that constitutes it as a Zelda game. At this point it sounds like you want a Zelda Dating Sim to really shake things up.

Fact of the matter is, even if they technically do do the same things over on a basic level, it's always done well and on a macro level very different to each other. I remember in ALTTP you had a block puzzle that utilized an ENTIRE dungeon. In Oracle of Ages, you had one that had to deal with the passage of time, exploring an island with moving blocks piece by piece by moving things around in different pockets of time.

The claim that making every Zelda game like A Link to the Past would help the franchise goes against the diversity argument that you were trying to make earlier. In fact, it's the copying of the formula that's made a lot of franchises that Nintendo has, such as Mario, devolve from where they were going before.

It is more about making the game nonlinear than making it a clone of Link to the Past.  Game diversity is good and Nintendo definitely needs game diversity, but it is not something you achieve by crippling the game.  This is why a hate Spirit Tracks.  Using the touchpad to control link may make the game different, but it doesn't change the fact that the controls are complete shit.  Same with Skyward Sword, where you were using more restrictive gameplay to justify it being different.  You know what would be interesting, making Link a wizard or ranged character rather than a swordsman, or controlling somebody other than Link, or not making the game revolve around dungeons, perhaps something more focused on the overworld.  Not crippled controls and restrictive gameplay.

So basically... everything that constitutes it as a Zelda game. At this point it sounds like you want a Zelda Dating Sim to really shake things up.

Fact of the matter is, even if they technically do do the same things over on a basic level, it's always done well and on a macro level very different to each other. I remember in ALTTP you had a block puzzle that utilized an ENTIRE dungeon. In Oracle of Ages, you had one that had to deal with the passage of time, exploring an island with moving blocks piece by piece by moving things around in different pockets of time.

True, but both are more than a decade old, back when the Zelda series and Nintendo's games were actually interesting.  It is the new stuff I have lost complete interest in.  If Nintendo could pull of more stuff along these lines I wouldn't criticize them so harshly.

Edited by Twilight Dirac

Irrelevant? Nah! Not like I see it. I've seen a quite a few people saying they'd rather have a Wii U than a PS4 or an XBone. I myself and most of my friends love Nintendo. I know for sure that I don't regret buying a Wii U and I'm happy with my 3DS. I'm not buying a PS4 until they get their shit straight.

The only things I think Nintendo is lacking at is promoting their stuff and third party support, but I'm more interested in Nintendo games. Besides, does it really hurt that much to lower the graphics of the game a little bit?

Now, I do hear a lot of people saying Nintendo's hardware is inferior to other consoles. For the first, that really doesn't matter to me. Second, PS4 and XBone doesn't seem to take full advantage of their "superior" hardware. Third, those people give me the impression that they love the hardware more than they love the actual games.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hey, who knows, maybe they will change things up a little.

Aonuma said he would like to make a motorbike for Link in his future games, you know that motorbike that link is going to have in Mario kart 8, and also,this game (Zelda U) is going to be Open world! (Non-liner), so you will be able to explore the overworld, that sounds interesting, this may be the industrialized world of Zelda for this game, more futuristic, and you will be able to explore everything.

Maybe that will make you like it.

You know a lot about Zelda for a Nintendo hater.

But, I bet you will still hate the new Zelda anyway.

This new Zelda has made me interested in the series again, Aonuma promises that he won't overdue it with the tutorials this time, and he also want's to bring in Multiplayer.

I still find Nintendo games interesting, but that's just me.

and I am sorry that I even wrote this thread and started all this arguing, I do want Nintendo to carry on making consoles and I do want them to stay first party, I believe they can make a comeback, also, they are making a few new IPs, the team that created Splatoon (the team garage, lead by miyamoto) are making a few new projects as well, looks like Nintendo is making some new IPs then.

Edited by Lankman

• 2 months later...

Now, I am a huge Nintendo fan (as you can see by my profile picture), but Nintendo seems to irrelevant today in a lot of people's eyes.

I feel like every gamer on the planet these days hate Nintendo with a burning passion, especially the ones that started gaming last gen.

Everyone on youtube hates Nintendo, the comments on Nintendo related video's are always so hateful.

Most of Nintendo's Fans have left them, the sales of the Wii U show that they have very little fans left, everyone wants playstation and Xbox these days.

Also, Nintendo keep doing stupid things, The "New" 3ds, the just alienated 40 million "Old" 3ds owners, their online is terrible, the Wii U is very underpowered and lacks RAM and GPU power.

A lot of Kids these days don't play Nintendo, they want to play PlayStation and Xbox to feel more mature.

Third Parties hate Nintendo, Teens hate Nintendo, Kids hate Nintendo, everyone these days seem to hate Nintendo.

I'm sorry, but Nintendo hade their golden age, but that time is over, they can't compete any more, they might as well give up.

Mario, Zelda etc...., Can't save them any more, Nobody cares about those franchises anymore.

looks like society thinks Nintendo is irrelevant these days, oh well, all good things come to an end :(

I really do have to disagree. Nintendo is still the powerhouse in gaming. At least console and handheld gaming. They honestly have zero competition in handheld gaming. And the Wii U while not their best work is selling well and will only continue to do so. It didn't have a powerful launch but it's still going fantastic for them as a company. I understand the frustration of not having much third party support but guess what this strategy eliminated as competition? PCs. Nintendo has no competition with PC that Playstation and Xbox both have to fight. Let's be honest here when push comes to shove a solid gaming PC can always outperform the Playstqaion or Xbox. But the Wii U isn't fighting against that. Also Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Mario and Metriod can probably sustain this company alone. Also take into account the fact that Nintendo has no competition to speak of in all of Asia. There are dozens of origionally franchises that they have released over there that are just making the states now like fire emblem did a few years ago. Even with the failure of the Wii U launch if you looked at things from simply a money perspective nintendo left both companies in the dust, combined. Nintendo may not have the chokehold on the industry that it used to thanks to the new positions of Microsoft and Sony, the new ways to enjoy PC gaming such as steam and the increasing popularity of mobile gaming. I think that nintendo will still be in the lead on this race up till the day that consoles basically stop. (With the rapidly lowering costs of producing higher and higher quality PCs that day is coming soon and these gaming companies will basically switch to making software for said PCs. Basically you will be purchasing an emulator.)
  • Brohoof 1

When the Wii U first released Nintendo were in a dangerous position; however I'd say they have found their footing. Of course they may not be on level with the Xbox One or the PS4, but considering the quality games that have been released for the system I'd say Nintendo is still relevant.

• Brohoof 3

BRACE YOURSELVES! UNSTRUCTURED AND UNREHEARSED RANT INCOMING

TL;DR: Nintendo is, and will always be, one of the greatest developers of all time. 

Nintendo is in no possible way "irrelevant". They might not be at the peak of popularity anymore like they were in the past but that doesn't mean they're not going out of style. Nintendo is all about being different, really. They're always the ones taking a lot of risks with their consoles. Hell, the WiiU is their first console with hardware advanced enough to handle graphics that the PS3 and Xbox360 could handle. DESPITE this, however, they've still make some of the greatest games of all time. 

The Zelda Series has one of the biggest fan-bases and for good reason. The worlds are always so interesting and immersing. The Mario platformers are also some of the greatest examples of game design that is nearly 100% perfect. They may strike out with a few choices but when they make a good one, it's never just good, it's out of the park, into the parking lot, and into the head of Activision's car.

The WiiU also has Bayonetta 2, which is debateably one of the greatest action games ever made. (I personally think it's 2014's best game of the year.). Also it has Super Smash Bros WiiU.

In all honesty I'm hoping that more developers give the WiiU a chance and try to put some games on it. It has some HUGE potential and if given the shot it'll have some insanely amazing games.

I love Nintendo and I'm pretty sure they're not going anywhere anytime soon.  

• Brohoof 4

I don't hate Nintendo (in fact I'm a fan of them) but they are behind the times and can't pull their head out of their butt. (To put it nicely)

Here's Why:

-Not putting out the best product that they can.

-They screw over 3rd party developers and make their consoles super weak.

-If they do get a 3rd party game then it will have sections missing or only have half of the game or be a gimped version.

-They love to copyright youtube content that mentions their games. That is bad for business.

-When you are in last place and don't adapt then you are like Nintendo.

-I love Mario and Zelda games to death but they can't pump those out to support a console without limiting the experience that you could have or having only a few games.

-They need to drop the Wii and WiiU label because it just sounds stupid and go for the Super Nintendo II or Ultra Nintendo or something like that.

They need to start adapting. They don't have to be in last place. If they really try then they could become top dog as far as consoles are concerned. Their console has a shorter time to live than others since it is so far behind.

Edit: What I would say to Nintendo:

Adapt, Conquer, Survive, Wash Hands, Repeat! :lol:

Edited by RainbowDarth
  • Brohoof 1

You know, I was talking to my cousin recently; he had just gotten Super Smash Bros. 3ds. So I told him that I was interested in getting that game and that I probably wouldn't get it for the Wii U even though it looks nice on that system and he agreed with that. He responded that he was thinking about getting an Xbox and mentioned some game that I knew was on both systems. I asked why he didn't want to get a Wii U so he could get the Wii U version of Smash and the other game he was thinking about, but he said nope, explaining that the Wii U was "doing the same thing over and over again". I told him that, if anything, the Wii was being the most unique of the 3 systems, and then he just couldn't explain his distaste for the system. It was very funny.

I suspect that he thinks the Wii is too kiddy or something like that, which I suppose happens often enough. I mean, kids get to that age where they don't want to be seen as kids, you know? So they'll just get something that's not Nintendo. I don't think Nintendo will ever shake off that "kids only" label. 

I think they'll pretty fine overall though. The Wii U did start to sell at least okay recently, right? Not that I'm interested in most of the stuff they put out these days... but hey. 

I feel like I've gone on a mixed rant about Nintendo on this forum before...are they irrelevant? No. Do they deserve the hate they get these days? To an extent, yes. I grew up on Nintendo and still enjoy picking up my 3DS as much as the next but the more you learn how the game industry works the more you start to say, "Nintendo...what the ****?" I posted a full wall of text on it once, if I can find it I will copy pasta here.

Edited by Chaco

Nintendo is by no means irrelevant. They still have a strong, huge fanbase that really believe they can get it together.

I shouldn't forget to mention that Nintendo will not go bankrupt anytime soon (they have BILLIONS of US Dollars in their reserves. It's no secret.).

Edited by Jonny Music

I lost interest in Nintendo after the Wii was released, but by that time I was a Playstation 2 player, which is still my go to console, my brother primarily play Xbox 360, and my sister is a PC gamer. The marketing strategy that Nintendo employed for the Wii put all three of us off, it looked fun, but the controls seemed out of our depth, we were use to the handheld controls, not the wireless pointer, yet that being said, I grew up on the original NES, and Super Nintendo is still my favourite console along side PS2, I have fond memories with my friends playing Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong, the last Nintendo console I ever owned was Nintendo 64, it was amazing for the time, when I played Mario 64 for the first time, my mind was blown and I played all the way to midnight. Nintendo maybe loosing out to old players like myself, my brother and sister grew up playing Playstation 1, so they do not have any Nintendo experience nor memories, and I think that is going to be a factor, the current generation of consoles is down to three: Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. The classic consoles like Atari and Sega have faded into history, while Sega is now a CD-ROM game company, making many of the Total War games, it no longer makes consoles, the only Sega console I ever played was Sega Saturn, and my friend moved away, so that is my only experience with Sega, so for now Nintendo may be around for awhile longer, but it is no longer the main contender it was in the mid eighties and nineties, it is a contender, and in Japan, the Playstation has superseded Nintendo, despite its marketing to older gamers, or trying to attract new gamers, I may go back to the old 8 and 16 bit consoles, on a platform like Retron 5, because the pangs of playing the old games are still present, and I would love to relive the memories old Nintendo inspired me.     

@RainbowDarth I said in Generation 8... (Xbox One is utter crap, PS4 is average...)

Nintendo will never get even close to being irrelevant, at least any time soon. Might take 2 or 3 generations if they release a Wii as much of a piece of junk as the original one.

• Brohoof 1

Nintendo certainly isn't as popular as ps4 and xbone. Not sure why, to me the Wii U despite its great games doesn't feel like a next gen console to me, and I'm sure many of you can relate

However, with the release of ORAS and smash 4, not to mention the huge amount of 3ds sales and the high demand for amiibo's, Nintendo is doing well financially, but I personally feel like the Wii U, though out of it's element should receive some ports of major titles released on xbox one and ps4 (except exclusives) and perhaps that would settle Nintendo's decling Wii U sale issue, but Smash 4 is mopping that up a bit.

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate Nintendo (in fact I'm a fan of them) but they are behind the times and can't pull their head out of their butt. (To put it nicely)

Here's Why:

-Not putting out the best product that they can.

-They screw over 3rd party developers and make their consoles super weak.

-If they do get a 3rd party game then it will have sections missing or only have half of the game or be a gimped version.

-They love to copyright youtube content that mentions their games. That is bad for business.

-When you are in last place and don't adapt then you are like Nintendo.

-I love Mario and Zelda games to death but they can't pump those out to support a console without limiting the experience that you could have or having only a few games.

-They need to drop the Wii and WiiU label because it just sounds stupid and go for the Super Nintendo II or Ultra Nintendo or something like that.

They need to start adapting. They don't have to be in last place. If they really try then they could become top dog as far as consoles are concerned. Their console has a shorter time to live than others since it is so far behind.

Edit: What I would say to Nintendo:

Adapt, Conquer, Survive, Wash Hands, Repeat! :lol:

I'm just going to address these one at a time... 

"Not putting out the best product that they can" -

Nintendo produces excellent products. In the last decade in a main title game like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or anything that is relatively under appreciated such as Pikmin, Tomadachi life or even the new Captian Toad these games are from a design and quality perspective flawless. Each delivers hours upon hours of engaging gameplay. Only on rare occasions have I heard of any gamebreaking glitches that exist in the games and those recently have been patched in a matter of days. (See the Lumiose City save glitch from Pokemon X and Y and how it was patched in less than 72 hours) If you are referring to graphics they actually played it smart. if you look at the new TVs that are coming out now and some of the games that are played on them they are incredible. We have actually technologically surpassed that resolution that the human eye is capable of seeing. What this means is that making bigger and better graphics is reaching a wall of impossibility. After another generation or two we will have reached the peak graphical capabilities that we as humans are able to process.  However even with the lower graphical capabilities of every Nintendo console when compared to the other consoles of its generation, Nintendo games often look better. They rely on the aesthetic, the way the game looks. This is why we can play the old Windwaker for gamecube (2003) without complaint because it still looks good in its style, where on the other hand Max Payne 2 (also 2003) looks horrible with its clunky old graphics. If you are talking about the hardware quality then bear in mind how difficult it is to break their things. The 3DS wasn't allowed to be released until it was proven that it could consistently be dropped from a height of 5 feet onto a concrete floor. 

"They screw over 3rd party developers and make their consoles super weak" -

​As stated above Nintendo doesn't make weak consoles. They don't push the limits of their consoles and prefer to make cheaper consoles. (Wii U currently sells for 300 at the most and as little as 200 whereas the Xbox One and PS4 don't come under 350 and up to 600) Yes their third party support is not good and even worse for the Wii U but that is the purpose. Nintendo doesn't support itself on 3rd party games like the others. If all 3rd party games were yanked from the three systems the Wii U is the only one that wouldn't crash and burn. Nintendo in its desire to experiment and reach out for new styles of gaming (see the success of the Wii if you need proof that's a good strategy) Lets be honest Nintendo's systems don't lend themselves to 3rd party developers very well just due to system setup. Nintendo loses a lot of money on failed 3rd party games and weeding them out makes good economical sense. 

"If they do get a 3rd party game then it will have sections missing or only have half of the game or be a gimped version" - 

Like I said. Often 3rd party developers can't change certain aspects of their game to work with Nintendo consoles or controllers. The Wiimote is pretty unorthodox and hard to design around especially if you are trying to release on multiple consoles. However you just need to look at the sucess of the Wii to know that isn't an issue for Nintendo and isn't making them any less relevant. 

"They love to copyright youtube content that mentions their games. That is bad for business" - 

Actually YouTube loves to take down content. They have a system of "Content ID matches" which automatically flags a video as being copyrighted and their software removes it. Nintendo has worked with many larger channels of their own accord and smaller channels that reach out to them through mediums such as email and twitter to get their channels whitelisted on YouTube and prevent their videos from being removed. 

"When you are in last place and don't adapt then you are like Nintendo" - 

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here... If you are saying that Nintendo doesn't adapt to their issues i would argue that you are mistaken. Honestly they often innovate in a direction opposing the issues and shortcomings of their previous consoles. 

"I love Mario and Zelda games to death but they can't pump those out to support a console without limiting the experience that you could have or having only a few games." - 

Actually Nintendo can and will continue to support itself on its main series. Of the top 50 best selling games for Wii 34 were made by Nintendo and all of the top 15 were Nintendo made as well. For the Nindendo DS only 2 of the top 40 best selling games were non-Nintendo made both consoles outsold their competition Wii selling 100 million units VS the 80 million sold by Xbox 360 and PS3. The DS has sold 150 million units since its release and the 3DS is over the 100 million mark. If every PSP and PS Vita unit is counted together it hasn't surpassed either one alone sitting on only 70 million units. 

"They need to drop the Wii and Wii U label because it just sounds stupid and go for the Super Nintendo II or Ultra Nintendo or something like that." -

This one is nothing but pure opinion. The name of the console really has nothing at all to do with sales of the unit (see above)

Nintendo is doing just fine for itself. It isn't in last place. Economically they are actually in first. And in my opinion it will continue to do so. The Wii U was a flop at launch but it is slowly picking up the slack. It won't ruin the company, They will continue to support it. And come the next console Nintendo will continue to advance and to innovate its way into yet another generation ahead of the pack. 

Edited by timemagetim
  • Brohoof 3

​As stated above Nintendo doesn't make weak consoles. They don't push the limits of their consoles and prefer to make cheaper consoles. (Wii U currently sells for 300 at the most and as little as 200 whereas the Xbox One and PS4 don't come under 350 and up to 600) Yes their third party support is not good and even worse for the Wii U but that is the purpose. Nintendo doesn't support itself on 3rd party games like the others. If all 3rd party games were yanked from the three systems the Wii U is the only one that wouldn't crash and burn. Nintendo in its desire to experiment and reach out for new styles of gaming (see the success of the Wii if you need proof that's a good strategy) Lets be honest Nintendo's systems don't lend themselves to 3rd party developers very well just due to system setup. Nintendo loses a lot of money on failed 3rd party games and weeding them out makes good economical sense. 

Sorry, but this part just isn't making sense to me. How could more 3rd party support hurt Nintendo in any way? 3rd party developers would have to pay Nintendo licencing fees and Nintendo doesn't have to pay them a cent unless Nintendo wants to handle the publishing for some reason. 3rd party support attracts more consumers to buy the console, which attracts more 3rd party developers which brings in even more money from licencing. 

Oh and to be brutally honest, when the Wii U first arrived it was already engulfed in a blazing ball of flames. Not sure how many 3rd party developers they have now, but they definitely didn't start with very much support. They spent the early years trying to put out the fire. Not really supporting your view.

Am I missing something?

Edited by Mutemutt

Sorry, but this part just isn't making sense to me. How could more 3rd party support hurt Nintendo in any way? 3rd party developers would have to pay Nintendo licencing fees and Nintendo doesn't have to pay them a cent unless Nintendo wants to handle the publishing for some reason. 3rd party support attracts more consumers to buy the console, which attracts more 3rd party developers which brings in even more money from licencing. 

Oh and to be brutally honest, when the Wii U first arrived it was already engulfed in a blazing ball of flames. Not sure how many 3rd party developers they have now, but they definitely didn't start with very much support. They spent the early years trying to put out the fire. Not really supporting your view.

Am I missing something?

I looked back over it and you are right. The third party stuff doesn't cost as much on the Nintendo side as I thought it did. However i maintain my argument that Nintendo doesn't need or rely on 3rd party developers and therefore doesn't really make much effort to accommodate them the way Sony or Microsoft do. 

• Brohoof 1