Banner by ~ Zero

Do you think My Little Pony will evolve into a franchise fandom?

The Coffee Pony

mlfw8706_small.jpg

Never thought I'd have to make this thread.

Alright so after seeing so many topics on the same subject "The Fandom is going to die after the show ends! The end is Neigh!" and all that I thought I'd make a thread about one thing I point out in every thread I see about this subject but almost nobody else seems to discuss, the possibility that after the show ends and the next generation comes out that the fandom will evolve from a show-based fandom into a franchise fandom.

Now let me point out what a franchise fandom is: Basically take anything like a show, comic book, movie and anything else along those lines. It becomes a huge hit and gains a large fandom. Now there is usually two outcomes to this:

Scenario 1 which usually involves comics: It is a huge success and becomes so popular the company that owns it decides to turn it into a franchise and hires people to make stuff based off it like say a television show or a movie series that gathers more fans (not all have viewed the original source material) and you get fans of all, most or some incarnations of the franchise. Examples of this include Spider-Man and it's various incarnations (Original comic, Spider-Man 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man and other alt universe comics, 8 Cartoons, 2 Live Action TV-shows, The Sam Raimi Movie Trilogy and TASM Movie series), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Original comic, alt. universe comics, 3 cartoons, a movie trilogy, a live action TV series, an anime OVA, whatever that terrible Coming Out of Our Shells Tour classifies as, a CGI Movie and the Michael Bay Movie) Sonic the Hedgehog (Video Games, Cartoons, OVA, Comics, anything I'm forgetting) and Batman (Oh no, I'm not going through that shit again!)

Scenario 2: The series whether it be a Movie series, Comic or TV show is a huge success and gains a huge fandom but eventually ends and is so well loved that there's the possibility for more so the company decides the make a revival, sequel series, next generation or a new show entirely of this franchise (Not necessarily using the same medium, it can be an adaptation) and brings in a new audience and brings back a lot of the old fans. So like the above example you get fans of all, most or some incarnations of the franchise. Examples include Transformers, Star Trek, Star Wars, Avatar The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, The Crow.

Now with all that said and done: Do you think My Little Pony will evolve into a franchise fandom when Friendship is Magic ends and Generation 5 comes about?

My Opinion: Yes, I'm quite confident that My Little Pony will evolve into one! After the success of Friendship is Magic, Hasbro is obviously going to want a show that will be as big as a success! I'll even argue that it's already one since there is a large number of people that are also fans of My Little Pony G1, myself included. And while tales and G3 were duds even they have there fans.

Now go on! Give me your thoughts! I want to hear them!

Edited by The Coffee Pony

I LOVE Scifi.  That is why I don't usually watch SF tv shows or movies -it distresses me to see how poorly Hollywood does them.  I was a Trekie from the time I watched the pilot until the time I watched Star Trek III, In Search Of Profits.  It was that movie that cured me of going to SF movies (with rare exceptions).  On Big Bang Theory, Sheldon called Star Trek V "the worst Star Trek movie ever"  I don't know how it could be worse & if it truly was, I don't want to know how.

But, the point is this.  I've read that it is easier to syndicate tv shows in 65 show packages & that is where the money is.  For financial reasons, unless Season 5 is a total disaster (& that looks unlikely) I expect a short Season 6 before Hasbro pulls the plug.  If there is a Generation 5 (again, for financial reasons, I expect at least some toys & DVDs), I think most fans will give it at least a look.  Most Trekies gave Star Trek TNG a try & this will likely be the same.

For Lauren, I give the PG version of a Harlan Ellison remark to the effect that Hollywood needs another screen credit.  After written by, produced by, etc. they need "Concept Screwed Over By".  The network brass screwing with the writers killed The Twilight Zone, Lost In Space & the original Star Trek among a horde of others.  If they don't have the good sense to keep their claws off, (& history is against it) they can kill MLP too,

There probably will be a generation 5 after FIM ends or possibly a 4.5 but whether or not it will be good enough to create scenario 1 is a bit too soon to tell but is a strong possibility. Hasbro has done some bone headed moves but for the most part has been fairly prudent with the MLP series and with the amount of profit G4 has brought them with the main show and the comic series they will want to keep this gravy train running as long as possible.

As it is now, it's mainly this show and this show alone that stands out. Very few of the fans of FiM display an equivalent appreciation for the previous generations because they were so different from this and didn't really do the same things right that this one did. If G5 can uphold or improve upon the qualities of the current iteration of MLP, then we can talk about that, at least in a partial sense due to the fact that nothing can change what went on in the previous generations. For now, G5 is merely a thing of speculation, so we can't make any educated guesses.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

MLP won't die with G4, obviously. If Pony Tales, G3 and G3.5 couldn't kill it, it's like a cockroach that can't be killed. As for whether the FiM series will continue, I think there's a high possibility of that. Keep in mind there's a comic book that could theoretically continue on after the show ends, if Hasbro allows it to, a mobile game by Gameloft, and other miscellaneous products. Even if all of the above fall through though, the fan community won't up and evaporate overnight. I do genuinely think the possibility exists for Hasbro to continue FiM into G5, but there really isn't a precedent to base that prediction on. All previous series ended, and did not continue on afterwards, aside from maybe G3.5's very brief continuation of the Core 7 series, and the Core 7 series as a short continuation of G3, but it's doubtful any past series came close to matching the success of FiM which has become a huge phenomenon that surpassed all expectations.

Regardless of what Hasbro does with its next series, I'm sure they can count on a lot of Bronies to tune in for the first episode, which is something past series didn't have, or if it did, not in such large numbers. Whether they can keep this side of the fanbase is another thing entirely, but I think the success of FiM will inspire them to pursue series with a similar balance of plot, action, adventure, comedy, drama and music. Even if FiM does end with this series, Hasbro would be fools not to look into the formula of FiM and determine what it is that made it so successful. Whether they can successfully replicate the magic of this series is another thing entirely, but I'm sure they'll try nonetheless.

Edited by Tross

Badges

As this thread is concerned more with the fandom and the franchise as opposed to "Friendship is Magic" specifically it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

Thank you, and please return to your regularly scheduled discussion. :)