Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Commits Suicide due to Cyberbullying over a Fanfic

MLPFanatic34

From what I read, the story in question was plagiarized from someone else on the site.

If that is true than yes he was indeed clearly wrong and people being angry about it is understandable but from what I understand they went out of their way to harass him which is also wrong. The fact is that two wrongs don't make a right, the occasional "you're an asshole" remark would be understandable but going out of their way to torment him like that is extremely cowardly.

And then there's the fact that he was dependent on the internet for friends and communication. Yeah... I really question how much the bullies were at fault here.

In the article it mentioned that he had some kind of disability and while it dosen't specify exactly what there are some that come to mind that can make social interaction more difficult for many people afflicted with them. This could have been the case for him as well, I am not saying relying on the internet for nearly all socialization is a good thing but as someone who has had difficultly with socializing in the past due to living on the Autism spectrum I understand why some people with social difficulties might opt for that. You are right though that the likelihood of him being depressed before this incident is fairly high though I still don't think the bullying was right.

• Brohoof 3

Ohh the day will come when bullying of any kind becomes a punishable offense (I'm sure it is already in some cases, right?). If it leads to suicide, isn't it almost like murder?

• Brohoof 1

This is just...... why would anyone do this? Ok, sorry in advance for this, but I'm pretty mad and I need to rant. If your being a bully. KNOCK. IT. THE. BUCK. OFF! Why would anyone do this?! THIS PERSON TOOK THIER LIFE! They didn't have a chance to live, because other people told them they didn't deserve to live. They DO deserve to live. No matter who you are, your life has so much value. You might not see that now, but it does. Even if you feel like it doesn't now, one day you might realize that you are important. You can have friends, get a job, get married, have a happy, fun, good life! If your hurting yourself, please stop. This person had so much to live for, and so do you. They threw their life away. Their own life. Just the other day kids were killed in a shooting. Killed before they could grow up. Before they could fall in love. Before they meet good friends. Before they got a great job. They lost so much unfairly, and if you keep hurting your self, you will too. You have so so much to live for! No matter what anypony tells you, your amazing. Don't let them tell you your not. Please, stop. Stop bullying. Stop hurting yourself. Everyone should be able to live happily. Why I even telling you all this? Because this person didn't have anyone to tell him. No one stood up for him. No one noticed until it was to late. He lost so much, and never even realized it. Don't fallow his path. If you ever need help with anything, no matter what, I swear on all that I hold dear I will try to help you. Don't feel like your alone, because their are so many people that care. This person never know this. His loss is tragic, but if we are to learn anything from this, then let it be that suicide is not the answer. May he, and any other's that have done as he did, rest in peace. They will forever be missed, and will always be remembered.

Edited by Melody Word

I've been bullied pretty much my whole life, by total strangers even, because I show no expression and I'm seemingly an easy target since I'm always doing things alone. I have also thought of suicide many times and it's not that I want attention or anything, it's just I don't find a purpose to live. Now, people can hate me for saying that, join the bully crew - that's okay. I'm just saying I can relate to being bullied over ignorant minds that have no clue what impact, big or small, can affect someone with. Unfortunately, these things happen a lot and I rarely see anything done to help anyone with problems. Even friendship is hard to acquire these days, just to fill the void and get through the hopelessness. People who commit suicide could have been saved, if something were done, something small even. If only people were serious about being bullied, instead of just putting it off and saying it's not true, maybe we could have saved lives by this. Do I think me being bullied will ever stop? No I don't, that's why I'm so isolated and I try my best to not provoke anyone. I just expect it to happen, that's always on my mind when I meet someone new or join a chat room filled with dozens of people and of course, I get bullied for simply saying "Hi.". Isn't it sad?

• Brohoof 2

They didn't have a chance to live, because other people told them they didn't deserve to live.
I do agree people need to stop, but I think it's clear this guy had other problems ( aside from his learning disability ) if he kills himself because people on the internet told him to.

This is super sad...

They really need to do something about cyber bullying.. I feel like not enough people take it seriously because it keeps happening...

RIP Adam and ill be praying for his family and friends

@, Ever read Mark Twain's "The Lowest Animal?"  There's a line in there that has always stuck with me since I read it in high school.

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."

I'm not so sure about cats with torture and monkeys/apes with bullying.

God, please watch over this poor boy's family, and bless them with peace, love, and hope in this terrible time of sorrow.  Please bless others like Adam and watch out for them, the bullied, the outcast, the ostracized, the belittled; bless them with friends and family who'll always be there for them to support them through the darkest days.  In your name I pray Lord, Amen.

Not to sound disrespectful, but i would be glad already, if god doesn't really throw those into hell who committed suicide. >_>

I really want to say something...but I'm already plain speechless.

All I can say is that I have grown to find hate directed toward other people to not just be very cruel, but cruel to the point where you can expect things like this to happen. I sincerely wish there was anything I can do, but the damage is already done.

Rest in peace, Adam Smith.

Ohh the day will come when bullying of any kind becomes a punishable offense (I'm sure it is already in some cases, right?). If it leads to suicide, isn't it almost like murder?

I personally think that only cyber bullying should be illegal because not only is it the most dangerous form of bullying and harassment but also one that most people can't get away from. While bullying in real life is still cruel, it is easier to avoid as such bullies can actually get into trouble for their actions. Plus unfortunately bringing others down is part of humanity. It always has been. Sadly that's just the way some people are naturally. That will never change. However, this paradigm completely changes for the worst when there is distance and anonymity. Users on the Internet are so often far less self-restrained by inhibitions than in real life settings and their actions hardly ever earn them any consequences or repercussions. The introduction of the Internet has allowed bullying to reach unnatural and virtually inhumane extents. These bullies feel that just because they're safe behind their screens, they have every right to reduce their humanity for the sake of their own entertainment. It's sickening and it's a real shame that these twisted people don't ever get caught. They deserve punishment for verbally harassing and psychologically tormenting another person to the point of suicide.

Considering how just about every user online can be tracked by their IP address and whatnot, I'm surprised that these actions are not ever implemented. Unless the user is tech savvy and uses some kind of special proxy server, I don't see why it should be so difficult to track them down.

Dear Celestia ... the last time I was this outraged with cyber bullies was when that story about Amanda Todd came out. *sighs* So much of my faith in humanity was lost that day ...

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 1

Not to sound disrespectful, but i would be glad already, if god doesn't really throw those into hell who committed suicide. >_>

No disrespect taken, I'd be glad of it too if it turned out that those who commit suicide are not condemned.  Obviously none of us can say for sure, but most Christian theologies and denominations, my own included, do teach that that's what happens based on how we interpret our Scripture.  It's not because we're trying to ostracize or despise the memory of those who commit suicide; we weep as much as anyone when we hear of such an unspeakable tragedy, and that belief only makes it more tragic for us.  Ultimately, it's not for me or anyone else to say for certain.  I believe that in the end it's up to God, that His wisdom in all things is pure and holy, and that I'll only know for sure what happens when I pass away from this world.

Please don't try to start a debate here (not that I thought you were or anything).  I only replied since I just wanted to explain that, just because Christians and other religions hold some views concerning suicide that others find very distasteful, doesn't mean we don't mourn for them all the same.  It's something that just shouldn't happen at all, and the fact that so many people are led down paths that result in their committing suicide is a reflection of how us humans can be so wicked, sinful, and hurtful to others.  This thread should just be about discussing how to prevent such things from ever happening, coming together as a better community of loving human beings, and marking and respecting Adam Smith's memory and the memory of all others who've tragically taken their lives for whatever reasons.  :(

If you'd like to PM me, Gary S, to talk more, I'd be happy to.  But like I said, this isn't the place to talk about this further.  :(

• Brohoof 2

No disrespect taken, I'd be glad of it too if it turned out that those who commit suicide are not condemned.  Obviously none of us can say for sure, but most Christian theologies and denominations, my own included, do teach that that's what happens based on how we interpret our Scripture.  It's not because we're trying to ostracize or despise the memory of those who commit suicide; we weep as much as anyone when we hear of such an unspeakable tragedy, and that belief only makes it more tragic for us.  Ultimately, it's not for me or anyone else to say for certain.  I believe that in the end it's up to God, that His wisdom in all things is pure and holy, and that I'll only know for sure what happens when I pass away from this world.

Please don't try to start a debate here (not that I thought you were or anything).  I only replied since I just wanted to explain that, just because Christians and other religions hold some views concerning suicide that others find very distasteful, doesn't mean we don't mourn for them all the same.  It's something that just shouldn't happen at all, and the fact that so many people are led down paths that result in their committing suicide is a reflection of how us humans can be so wicked, sinful, and hurtful to others.  This thread should just be about discussing how to prevent such things from ever happening, coming together as a better community of loving human beings, and marking and respecting Adam Smith's memory and the memory of all others who've tragically taken their lives for whatever reasons.  :(

If you'd like to PM me, Gary S, to talk more, I'd be happy to.  But like I said, this isn't the place to talk about this further.  :(

Be careful how you respond to a suicidee's family and/or friends regarding his/her afterlife.

Worst-case scenario: They react not unlike Gary Oldman's Dracula.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

And then there's the fact that he was dependent on the internet for friends and communication. Yeah... I really question how much the bullies were at fault here.

Gotta  say  I relate  to this.   I try  not to rely on the internet  but  I realized that sadly  I have done that and yes,  this is in part  due to having Autism, making my  life a bit harder but I am trying to turn  to things  around.   I'm going back to college next semester  (on campus)  and  I have submitted an application to volunteer  at my local  library.  I really  hope I get it as  I've  been feeling in a funk this year  of being lonely  and it doesn't  help that my best friend, who  Asperger's  and still lives with his parents  barely  gets to see me because  his mother controls  every aspect of his life and whenever I try to  invite him over to my house,   she finds a reason that he can't come. Next year will be better.

Edited by flutterfan12
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not so sure about cats with torture and monkeys/apes with bullying.

And that's why I didn't quote those lines. Also keep in mind that it was a satire written in the late 19th century. While there are some things that I'm not so sure of, there is still a lot of truth in this writing. 

These people should be ashamed of themselves. But they aren't, so these things happen. It irks me that the internet, perhaps our greatest source of knowledge since the library of Alexandria, has become a festering cesspool for those bullying, useless excuses for human beings. 

• Brohoof 3

This goes to show that bullies don't care about who they step on, even if their actions result in the death of innocent people.

Rest in Peace, Adam Smith. Our hearts are broken by this tragedy.

To Adam's family (I don't know if they'll ever see this post, but I don't care.)

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest, most heartfelt condolences.

rainbow_dash___crying_by_thelawn-d4gom9i

• Brohoof 1

I think this news is horrible...

The worst part... For me! I find about this is that this kid relates to me in so many ways... He's an average gamer, Goes on the computer a lot, Has the same First name as me, Is British... It makes me... upset

If there was an way in stopping bullying then i would always be up for it but sadly... There isn't :(

Rest In Peace my friend...

Edited by Codelyoko373

@

As we have a thread in regards to the tragic loss of a young life, I went ahead and merged your thread with this main one.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

It's really horrible that this happened. We need to get back to teaching our children the "Sticks and Stones" mantra; words only have whatever power that you personally assign to them. Plus, back in my day bullies and victims would meet up on the playground at lunch, beat the shit outta each other, and there it would end. But now with the internet and the victim-shaming "Zero Tolerance" policy the torment never ends; the victim has no power to fight back, and both really seem to just enable those with a penchant for inflicting misery on others.

The internet has fallen to idiots who don't care about others, all they will do is make us have a bed rep.

if I was cyberbullied I'll just pretend that they never said that and move on cause you (the bullies) don't have a life to respect people rightly, it's wrong to say anything like "You should kill yourself." or "You don't belong here!" that's just wrong.

It's sad to see a fellow person be bullied like that would cause suicide, I'll always be strong and never listen to those bully us. It's time we stand and end all types of bulling once and for all!

It's like there's a dark world on the web full of hateful people who just love to bully us and make us feel depressed and suidical, this makes me wanna stand up for once and help those who were bullied.

I do have aspergers which is a form of austism which I do have and someone will bully me so bad I'll kill myself, but I know better to ignore them and be strong.

^You have aspergers too? So do I, Neutron. For my personal experience, no one has ever bullied me for my austism, but it's still wrong! Let's hope the world gets a little more aware and alert of these bullying methods that need to stop from this tragedy.

Everytime I here these kinds of things like suicide, bullying and the like, I feel like I have a huge gaping hole in my heart.  Human beings can be so great, and then you hear stories like this and it's so hard to say anything positive afterward.  How can such an amazing species be so very flawed.  This Adam guy seemed like a great human being.  A star shining bright.

Why would you ever want to dim his shine?  

Im always reminded of a poem by John Donne "No Man Is An Island"

"Each Man's Death Diminishes Me

For I am Involved In Mankind

Therefore, Send Not To Know

For Whom The Bell Tolls

It Tolls For Thee"

The point being life is hard, but were all in this together so why don't we try an make the best of it.

I wonder why this lesson is so hard for people to grasp.

It's one of the reasons I like the show.  It's like a "What if" situation where Humanity finally gets it right.

I've never meet you Adam...I wish I could have helped you.   But I wish you peace.  And will strive toward a better world.

We were both bronies so I can't help but feel like you believed in a better world too.

So that's what i'll do.

The world truly will always misunderstand the source of cruelty, but all I can say is, harmony is far from us, possibly unreachable. But, "What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil through hard work and struggle?" My condolences to the deceased, not just one, but all who have befallen this. I hope that others will attempt to take the path to a kinder world, so that this is not neccessary any more.