Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is it so so so so hard to " love and tolerate"?

TheLonlelyOne

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony: Fluttershy

How did you find MLP Forums?:

How you became a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:

I have been a part of the fandom for about 2 years now

and everyday it gets harder and harder not to cry because so many people don't understand or are quick to judge

I feel angry torwards them

I get called pedo.

I get called freak.

yes I know this is geared torwards children ( girls).

but. it ticks me off to see a grown woman liking transformers. power rangers. gi joe and hot wheels. AND NOBODY PANICS

but. a man liking and collecting it's not ok?

how do you all deal with the hurt. and the anger.

people are to quick to judge.

I font want to hate them

but I can't help it

one of them is my own mother. she says it's "" inappropriate". then says " it's wrong ".

then says " nothing's wrong" n starting to irk me

it's for this very reason I remained a "" closet brony"". fir a year befire revealing myself. and now. I'm regretting ever doing that

Edited by TheLonlelyOne
  • Brohoof 3

I'm going to be really honest with you here & say it would of been better if you didn't "come out the closet" just by reading your post here, it doesn't sound like you take criticism well. For me I told my brother's & mother about me watching the show & got static for telling them about it, difference here is, I put my lovey little twist of "would you like me to go smoke some crack in a drug house instead?" Which then quickly shut them the hell up. So yah there's that.

Welcome to the forums though, you will enjoy yourself here with all the lovely people that come on everyday to talk about the show, as for real life matter, keep your head high & your gates higher & you will be fine

• Brohoof 4

I feel ya. I'm still closet brony even tho i'd love to tell ppl. This show has made me happier than anything in years. I'll be ur friend and we can talk mlp forever lol. Hug!

Edited by Shadow Burst
  • Brohoof 3

Okay, this may be (read- IS) a long one... :P

Hey there, friend. :) It's a sad fact of life, but there will always be people who will judge something or someone when they won't even attempt to understand, and though this happens quite a lot in the case of us bronies, it also happens to every other fandom and individual too.

If people don't understand, then it's their own loss. Seriously though, it IS their loss. If they think that they know every brony just through the behaviour of a small minority of them, then I don't think they'd get far with a career in Science :/ They're got comfort zones smaller than a Parasprite, they're too afraid to even make the move to investigate the show, unlike you. And it's obvious that they're scared, because from the words you've mentioned them saying, it's clear that they want this world to be a simple case of 'that's good, that's bad'. 'Pedo', 'freak', 'wrong'? Those words are just exaggerations and myths, attempts to convince themselves and others that they fit into some rigid type of society, and it's all because they're too afraid of what life would be like outside it.

I don't know if you read the Bible, but do you know that bit about Peter denying Jesus? The people attacking you are kinda like Peter right now. They know that if they let themselves give up on their norms and actually give MLP a chance, then there will be other people attacking them, so they do anything to avoid that possibility. Kinda like how Peter had to deny Jesus more and more as other people intimidated him more, the people attacking you and the show may just be moving from 'eh, I'm not that interested ' to 'OMG, everyone who watches this is gay and should be disgusted with themselves! :angry: Let's show them the filth they are!', just because anything less than complete disapproval is suspicious to people. In other words, hating a show you haven't even watched is a pretty strong reaction... it's probably more likely that they're making themselves think they hate it, because being open-minded would let them see a world they've never seen before.

So, how do you manage to 'love and tolerate' these people? Personally, I think that there's one very good feeling you can gain for them that'd change your entire perspective on them, and that is- pity. Pity that these people have to be so reliant on what other people say about this show, that they can't even experience for themselves something which they could actually enjoy. Pity that they have delusions about knowing everything there is to know about a brony, when they've closed their minds from the start out of fear. I also like to see avid non-bronies as potential bronies, able to be as capable of loving and tolerating as us, but just too frightened to even try. 

If it helps, try imagining these people as Fluttershy in a bush (why? Because Fluttershy :P)

22477__safe_fluttershy_animated_plot_but

Maybe they feel comfy in their bushes, but if you only hide in the bushes then you don't get to see the variety the world has to offer you. If they got out of there then maybe they'd realise that they much prefer being free and themselves for once. They could get to be Fluttershy for once- cute and innocent, lovable and bringer of death non-judgemental, and I'm guessing you know by now that there's a lot to gain from that sorta outlook. When they're being closed-minded, all they're doing is missing out, and I feel sorry for those people that don't know how warm and compassionate others can be (like here :)) Nobody benefits from the bush hiders. Well, except maybe for bush hider predators, since it'd be easy pickings for them, but I digress!  :derp:

I've no clue where I'm even going with this anymore (so sleepy... *yawn* I shouldn't try to be inspirational at 3 in the morning... :okiedokielokie: ) but please remember that we're here for you, friend. You shouldn't be suffering alone, because we all have these worries and can face people that just don't understand, and that's one of the things that unites us. If you ever want to get these feelings off your chest, then you can always do it here, and hopefully what we say can help you. :)

TL;DR- you are a great person, but greatness is something that very few people are brave enough to face.

Forgive me if I'm rambling; it's 3am where I am :P

• Brohoof 3

Trust me, it will become a lot easier when you get older. By the time you're an adult, you learn that the only things that matter to you are your family, your paycheck, and your rest at the end of the day. The opinions of angry neanderthals doesn't tend to concern you much. It isn't like they can stop you, and if they try, you ignore them or beat them with a stick if they persist.  B)  

• Brohoof 2

Welcome to the forum! YAY!

img-3329361-1-fluffle_puff__special_some

I hope you make a bunch of friends while you're here! And that you stick around for a long time! :muffins:

It sucks, but that's the sort of double standard garbage we have to put up with. The worst thing we can do is lose our minds about it, and show them that we're crazy, or evil, or whatever. Acting out towards those who are out to get us only validates them I'm afraid. :(

The best thing you can do is kill them with kindness. Just smile, and move on. -_-

Also, if you have any questions, concerns, or experience any issues, please feel free to let us know by creating a thread in the Site Questions & Tech Support forum, so we can get you answers, assurances, and/or solutions! :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

It isn't easy, I know but you can't fight the world. If they are quick to judge/don't understand then who cares, no one can tell you what you can or cannot like. Just ignore them, there are haters everywhere don't let it get to you. Anyway welcome to the forums, this is a great community where we can discuss the one thing we all love. Thats right PONIES  :D I hope you have a very pleasant stay here my friend and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

• Brohoof 2

Well, it's not exactly a fairytale, but I don't see why anyone should take it seriously.

...because we believe in it.

e.g. I do not believe in the Book of Mormon to any extent at all, but I'm not going to say it's a pile of crap in front of any mormon's face on intention (if you're mormon and reading this sry), I'd just say that i dont believe in that thing.

The religious insensitivity- you aren't the worst, now way, but, it needs to stop now.

• Brohoof 1

...because we believe in it.

e.g. I do not believe in the Book of Mormon to any extent at all, but I'm not going to say it's a pile of crap in front of any mormon's face on intention (if you're mormon and reading this sry), I'd just say that i dont believe in that thing.

The religious insensitivity- you aren't the worst, now way, but, it needs to stop now.

You think it's true because you believe in it...mkay.

Or do you? Do you really believe everything the Bible says?

Exodus 31:15 " ...whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

Do you kill people who work at sundays, or expect to be killed by doing so yourself?

Leviticus 20:9 "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death..." 

Do you kill people who curse at their parents?

No, of course you don't. But aren't you risking to burn in hell for eternity, for not following the Bible completely? I think if you truly believed it, you'd take it more seriously. I sure wouldn't mess around with that and risk burning in hell for all time...if I believed it, of course.

Edited by RaveRatchet

You think it's true because you believe in it...mkay.

Or do you? Do you really believe everything the Bible says?

Exodus 31:15 " ...whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

Do you kill people who work at sundays, or expect to be killed by doing so yourself?

Leviticus 20:9 "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death..." 

Do you kill people who curse at their parents?

No, of course you don't. But aren't you risking to burn in hell for eternity, for not following the Bible completely? I think if you truly believed it, you'd take it more seriously. I sure wouldn't mess around with that and risk burning in hell for all time...if I believed it, of course.

this was not the laws of god, but the laws of his kingdom.

Religion and state used to be tied much.

We should probably move this to PM.

• Brohoof 1

thanks for the feed back

but things to clear up. I AM an adult.

and the whole religion thing isn't my style. it's great if you're religious more power to ya

but I'd rather talk ponies not religion please

• Brohoof 2

Talking ponies is good.  Talking religion is a waste of time - not because religion is a waste of time, but because you're either on the bus or off the bus.  If you're on the bus, party on.  If you're off the bus, try not to get run over by it.  Talking about it between camps nearly always devolves into "I know you are, but what am I?" 

I am a fairly recent import into Equestria, but I get that there are people who judge adults for being "pony-heads."  I'm a 62 year old woman who gets raised eyebrows and rolling eyes all the time when I'm wearing pony t-shirts, etc..  Meh.  Who cares? 

That said, I get it that there is a whole 'nother level of hostility aimed at adult male Bronies.  And no, it's not fair that women can be football fans, into Transformers, or join the Army without being thought perverts. 

My advice?  Get with other Bronies.  Here, in real life meet-ups, and at cons.  The good feelings and reinforcement generated by these interactions will cause the negative crapola of haters and paranoid types to just roll off. 

And yeah, growing a thicker skin helps.  But think about it...  Balance the positive that you get from MLP, against the negative from those poor souls living a bleak, pony-less existence and be grateful that you had what it took to get into MLP. 

• Brohoof 2

The Ponies helped me through a tough time,   they still do,     i have slight depression   i get sad and feel lonley at times for no apparent reason    there are some things that trigger it more than others     but still    i watch ponies and it makes me laugh and feel care free again. 

i have only told a select few people    MOST of my friends know.   EVERYBODY AT CON knows     but  other ppl in my family   like cousins uncle aunt grandma   dont know ,  they wouldnt understand    mom knows....  doesnt aproove     and it doesnt help at all 

i connect the most with fluttershy ,   very sensative  ( shy sometimes) love animals   and she just makes me laugh  ( shes my fav) 

although i have an ego like rainbow dash hahahahaha  ( long story) 

but the friends that have stopped talking to me, or turned their backs on me  because of ponies    it hurts 

and the whole " staying a closet brony"    doesnt help either 

what are some things you guys did  to get over the judging and the riddicule and hate 

the online trolling doesnt bother me 

its the in person judging that hurts 

• Brohoof 2

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You shouldn't judge people based on what they believe in. I don't care if you are Muslim, Atheist, or Jewish; I respect everyone's beliefs/religious views and everyone else should do the same.

Okay now to answer your question:

It's hard to 'love and tolerate' because some people don't show it in return. They are too quick to judge and ridicule. Some find the satisfaction in hurting others, which is completely wrong. People consider guys and girls of the young adult age group who like MLP 'creeps' or 'social outcasts' because to them, they don't fall under the target demographic. But MLP is a show for everyone to enjoy and is not just for little girls. Liking something is what makes everyone unique and you should be proud that you are part of a loving community of like minded people. Like Edwardo_Brony, I will be referencing the Bible, not because I want to shove my religion down people's throats, but to give an example. In the Gospels, Jesus was ridiculed by the Pharisees and Jewish leaders for who he was. He was no ordinary man: He performed miricules and preached about the Kingdom of God for He was God Himself. Despite what He did for the people, He was still treated harshly. So no matter where you go, there will be people who are nasty. Instead of being nasty right back, show kindness like Fluttershy. And if you need anyone to talk, talk to anyone on here including me; I'll be happy to help you.

• Brohoof 2

thanks much aperciated  

see i dont mind  bible quotes  i respect the idea of a religion   

and the accepting and loving comunity is  why i started watching    to be honest  i used to be a hater   and judged as well    but my co owrker was watching it at work   and i always asked " why do you watch that?"    until one night it was suuuupppper slow   i sat and watched as well     and i got hooked   hahahaha   

• Brohoof 3

and the accepting and loving comunity is  why i started watching    to be honest  i used to be a hater   and judged as well    but my co owrker was watching it at work   and i always asked " why do you watch that?"    until one night it was suuuupppper slow   i sat and watched as well     and i got hooked   hahahaha   

There's a whole raft of people who don't get that animation is not just "cartoons" any more.  To them it's "baby stuff."  If they don't know you, they may think you're a dope.  If they know you well enough to know you're not a dope, they jump to "pervert."  Most high-end animation nowadays is layered to resonate with several different age demographics.  But those stuck-in-the-"cartoon"-paradigm people think animation has no intellectual substance, artistic merit or spiritual value. 

It doesn't help that the earlier generations of MLP had no pith or moment.  Air.  Pink, insipid, meaningless air, made to sell cutesy toys to little girls.  Up until a few months ago, if someone said to me, "My Little Pony" I would have pictured the saccharine tone and characters of the old ponies.  Lauren Faust changed all that for My Little Pony.  It's no small feat to create a show that week after week, month after month, can entertain and instruct both the very young and adults as well. 

The wake-up call for me was the documentary film, "Bronies: The Unexpected Adult Fans of "My Little Pony."  Seeing the universally warm, human response by the fans to the show, its creators and each other was a revelation.  I was hooked.  I went out and bought all four seasons of the show, and I'm halfway through them for the 2nd time. 

If you can get some of your family/friends to watch the film, they might come around.  If you could jot down things about why you like MLP, and read it to them after the film, you just might get through to them.  Of course, some will never get it.  That's life. 

Hang in there - and, have yourself a Pony little Xmas!

• Brohoof 2