Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Fluttershy's "Dark Side" be explored more?

TheMisterManGuy

Most of the time, you could use Fluttershy as a bathmat & she would apologize to you for shedding on you when you wiped your feet on her.  But, push her too far... Hey, she stared down a cockatrice & made a dragon cry.

All the Mane 6 have their flaws (if you want to call it "A Dark Side, OK).  AJs stubbornness & temper, Dash's boasting, etc.  But, they are growing & by the end of season 4 they are more mature than they were at the start of season 1.

Still, F is the one we know the least off & I wouldn't mind learning more.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't call it a "dark side", but I do think we've seen some anger in her. As for seeing more of it, I don't know if I need to see more, and as for seeing her past, I have mixed feelings about that. They pretty much can't not wreck my abuse headcanon if they give her a backstory because it's a kids show, but it just makes so much sense for her. 

*whimpers* and it would ruin my fanfictioooooonnnnnn!

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't call it a "dark side", but I do think we've seen some anger in her. As for seeing more of it, I don't know if I need to see more, and as for seeing her past, I have mixed feelings about that. They pretty much can't not wreck my abuse headcanon if they give her a backstory because it's a kids show, but it just makes so much sense for her. 

*whimpers* and it would ruin my fanfictioooooonnnnnn!

I kinda like that idea, but it might depend on the kind of abuse.  Maybe it could be neglect, since she's always caring for the animals, to the point of being a sort of helicopter pony parent.  She might be kind of overcompensating for what she felt she didn't have enough of as a filly.  Maybe there's a reason Fluttershy has never mentioned her parents.

Most people tend to get a dark side when they are picked on a lot (trust me, I know from experience), so yes, I think they should do more on it, but try not to go to far with it. With the way things are with her, I can only assume she doesn't have parents any more; who wouldn't go looking for their child after being missing for so long? She also never seemed to show any signs of leaving anypony behind either. The no parents might have also been why RD stood up for her when she was being picked on; it's a 'leave her alone, she already has enough problems' kind of things.

Most people tend to get a dark side when they are picked on a lot (trust me, I know from experience), so yes, I think they should do more on it, but try not to go to far with it. With the way things are with her, I can only assume she doesn't have parents any more; who wouldn't go looking for their child after being missing for so long? She also never seemed to show any signs of leaving anypony behind either. The no parents might have also been why RD stood up for her when she was being picked on; it's a 'leave her alone, she already has enough problems' kind of things.

I always imagined Fluttershy having a loud, dysfunctional family where she was the punching bag.

A dark side of Fluttershy would be interesting to delve into next season, especially because it's not been explained very much. It makes her very mysterious b/c she must have her moments of rage and I'd like to know where they come from and what caused them.

Edited by rpc8169

I'd honestly rather see less of her angry sides. While they do round her out, overdoing it (and we have had three episodes with her having either a meltdown or changing form) makes her look... Unstable. I'd rather see her get some backstory in the future (isn't that an oxymoron?) since she has so little of it explored. I think that would create more interesting dynamic as, while I love her episodes more than most of the others', I do think they are getting in to a bit of a loop. Flutters is being kind, the kindness backfires or holds her back in someway, she tries to fix it, it backfires on her, she goes back to being kind. Now, of course, we do have episodes like Filli Vanilli which helps round her out quite a bit more, but that's only one of her episodes. So some backstory and more personality filled out would be quite nice  :fluttershy: Also...

You may ask why I make a lot of Fluttershy topics? Well, I feel she's not only the most interesting character of the mane 6, but she's also the one with the most story potential. She has the least amount of backstory of the mane 6, she says almost nothing about her personal life, and we have zero appearance from her family. The random outbursts of rage and snark, along with holding out info for long leads me to believe that the writers are planning some huge story with her. So, should Fluttershy's dark side be explored more in Season 5?

Don't feel bad at all, please continue making these, I do adore talking about my favorite ponies ever so much  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Dark side? Meeehh....

I don't see a point when her persona as a whole doesn't have anything to do with darkness. Applejack's lying, Pinkies Depression, Rarity's greed, those all have multiple ways of being looked at and even used for plot elements. 

Mean Fluttershy is just... well. Mean. There isn't much there to dissect. 

On the other hand, FlutterBat needs to happen. 

Dark side? Meeehh....

I don't see a point when her persona as a whole doesn't have anything to do with darkness. Applejack's lying, Pinkies Depression, Rarity's greed, those all have multiple ways of being looked at and even used for plot elements. 

Mean Fluttershy is just... well. Mean. There isn't much there to dissect. 

On the other hand, FlutterBat needs to happen. 

But we've seen in at least 5 episodes that there seems to be something more to Fluttershy than the writers are willing to explore, which leads me to think they're planting seeds for some huge character arc.

The rage outburst is related with her sensitivity, which doesn't allow Fluttershy to fully express herself, thus keeping her emotional reactions for herself, due to fear or shame. This adds up till it blows up.

This often happens with highly sensitive people. Their emotional sensitivity is deeper than you can ever imagine. Beautiful things feel way more intense, but so does the bad ones.

In similar cases, related with a violent event, most people often say "But he/she was so quiet and nice" No sir, that person had issues to express him/herself, probably because of its childhood environment, family misdeeds, bad parenting, etc

Back on topic, I feel like there might be still some pretty amazing story about Fluttershy's past, or even her true identity. I hope so.

You may ask why I make a lot of Fluttershy topics? Well, I feel she's not only the most interesting character of the mane 6, but she's also the one with the most story potential. She has the least amount of backstory of the mane 6, she says almost nothing about her personal life, and we have zero appearance from her family. The random outbursts of rage and snark, along with holding out info for long leads me to believe that the writers are planning some huge story with her. So, should Fluttershy's dark side be explored more in Season 5?

I would love them to explore her character more in general, she has a lot of potential for hidden depth. I've made plenty of topics about her myself, mostly to counteract those people who see her as some kind of one note character which makes no sense. 

For Flutters Dark side...

UGTJAGGED-Darth-Vader-%D0%97%D0%B2%D0%B5

....I had to XD

I would like moor of a back store but I don't think she have a dark side. I think it moor of a snap wen someone being a big bully to her friends or woodwind critters.

• 5 years later...
On 1/16/2015 at 2:14 AM, TheMisterManGuy said:

The random outbursts of rage and snark, along with holding out info for long leads me to believe that the writers are planning some huge story with her. So, should Fluttershy's dark side be explored more in Season 5?

She can barely speak in front of Spike. How can she have a dark side?

Also, even if they did an alternate reality where she would be evil, I still wouldn't believe it. She looks too kind, even when being angry.

Yes, dark Fluttershy is interesting! I feel like in order for people to like it she would have to be less brutal than in Putting Your Hoof down but it would definitely be interesting to see the other side of Fluttershy.