Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Has the music you listen too changed much over the years?

Cirrus.

I used to listen to SOOOOO much folk music from the Netherlands, now I can't get enough rap and hiphop music and I LOVE Folk Metal like Equilibrium, Arkona and Korpiklaani.

My all time favorite artists remain A Tribe Called Quest and Mos Def though.

Yes... yes it has. I used to be into a lot of pop punk/alternative rock stuff. Now, I'm into power metal/progressive metal/heavy metal/alt metal. I just discovered it about a month ago. Kind of a sad story really, but I'll copy and past what I said on Facebook.

Status (posted from twitter to Facebook): When I was sixteen, I thought metal was pure screaming. XD Now, I know there's more to it than that and I love it. X3

More to the story: So, I also used to despise it because I thought it was all just vocalists screaming illegible things. So, I had a deep hatred for that. What's even more funny is that after I discovered PelleK, I realized a lot of what I like, especially in j-rock was actually some form of power metal/alternative metal/progressive metal/heavy metal. So, it surprised me because I had no idea all that time I was more into the heavier beat sort of stuff than anything. I think that's why I have moved on from all of the pop-punk stuff and gone for the metal stuff.

So yeah. There you have it ladies and gentleman. 8D

Of course it has!

It started off with Linkin Park back when I was like, <7 or so. It was my mother's favourite band, and I liked their songs, so it became mine as well.

After that, it went to all that mainstream pop stuff and whatnot.

EDIT: Between these two, about age 14-15, I believe there was some Lindsey Stirling, Minecraft music, and some other songs as well, that I can't quite recall.

Around the time I became a brony (age 15), I branched out and began listening to brony-made music. A ton of it, and pretty much nothing else.

Currently (age 17), I almost solely listen to xKito, Monstercat, and some video game music. :)

Edited by Sir Snowyberry

My tastes in music have changed a lot. When I was younger, I just listened to anything on the radio really. When I was about 10 I was introduced to Rammstein. That band changed my life. After that, I started getting into metal. I also always liked any hard electronic songs when I was younger. I still do (just not brostep). So, more or less, my music tastes evolved from Rammstein and pop to (spoilered for a good reason):

- Heavy Metal

- Groove Metal

- Symphonic Metal

- Black Metal

- Death Metal

- Progressive Metal

- DJENT

- Metalcore

- Deathcore

- Emo

- Hardstyle

- UK Garage

- Complextro

- Rap

- Electro House

- Electro

- Dubstep

- Drum and Bass

- Savant

- Jazz

- Lounge

- Classical

- Orchestral

- Fusion Jazz

- Pop Punk

- Melodic Death Metal

- Viking Metal

- Trance

- Industrial Metal

- Doom Metal

And that's not even a list of bands.

Yes and no.

I grew up with country and gospel music, and my parents still largely listen to that. I ended up growing out of that and preferring power/symphonic/progressive metal and ska punk.

The only exception is orchestral music which has stayed with me for a LONG time.

I used to listen to just metal exclusively, mostly thrash and heavy metal but as time went by I started to expand on what subgenres I listened to. I started to listen to heavier metal like some nu-metal, death metal, grindcore.

After listening to pretty much every subgenre of metal I started to listen to dubstep and neurofunk, it gave me that same kick metal gave me. Though in the past years I started to get tired of most normal metal songs, I listen to technical metal and progressive metal mostly now. But I've also developed a liking in all kinds of genres. Rock, neurofunk, breakcore, trap, horrorcore, rap, pop, dance. Whatever the genre, if it sounds good to me I will like it.

I guess over the years I've become a much calmer person, I mainly listened to music to get a kick out of it, a boost of energy. Even if that's still there I also listen to music for other reasons. Some songs convey messages in a very strong way, other songs make me feel good and calm, while another song makes me want to jump and mosh. Songs transfer different feelings and I'm mainly interested in how they do it and in what way they convey these emotions and messages.

I mainly listened to mainstream music when I was younger because that was all my parents liked. At around I'd say 8th grade I started listening to rock/metal. I liked bands such as Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Papa Roach, Disturbed, etc almost exclusively. My tastes kinda diversified when I got into stuff like Metallica, Slipknot, and what have you. I used to think the bands people call emo were lame like Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, and what have you. but I like them now. I also like electronic music like dubstep and house. I got into dubstep a long time ago when I looked it up out of curiosity.

I could listen to virtually any genre of music. My tastes just change according to my mood and as life goes.

I'm really into old school french house right now, and I've been into it for 2 years now. But here are genres I enjoy: classic rock, country, hip hop, rap, trip hop, disco, italo disco, trance, EDM, classical, and soundtrack music.

I've always been into hard rock and metal, but as I've gone on and as I look at pieces with more of a musical attitude, my listening style has changed drastically.

I listen to the same kind of music, but my views on music have changed and I like to judge a piece (even if I don't like it) by its musicality and I am often drawn to pieces which have complicated rhythms and time signatures (For example "CAFO" and "Mind-Spun" by Animals as Leaders). But I am also drawn to slower, more relaxed and ambient pieces such as "Abandon Window" by Jon Hopkins) and I'm even into stuff like Beethoven, Mozart and one of my favourite pianists, Debussy. 

For example about 6-7 years ago I was into Slipknot, Green Day, and (possibly a little later on) Avenged Sevenfold. Now, I still like Slipknot, but I feel they lack a certain 'Pzazz', I feel like Green Day have kinda lost it, and looking back at Avenged Sevenfold I can honestly say I have no idea why I liked it back then xD.

Nowadays, I'm into more Progressive Metal and even stretching into Jazz (or Djent as they like to call it), for examlple Periphery and Animals as Leaders and also some Math Rock from bands like "toe" or even Mathcore like Rolo Tomassi.

Meh. Also since listening to the music from MLP I have been more accepting of different genres. I guess it's me. :)

(Sorry if I repeated myself a couple of times, I kinda just like to ramble...)

I suppose my musical tastes have expanded quite a bit. I never really listened to much music as a kid...at least, not until the day came when I discovered the magic of VGM plugins and sites like Zophar's Domain, at which point I would listen to a crap-ton of video game music; 8-bit, 16-bit and onward. Still a major part of what I listen to now.

In high school I was introduced to Rammstein, my first taste of metal. My best friend and I became obsessed with them to the point of constantly singing verses wherever we went, despite having an infantile grasp on the German language.

After graduating high school, I was introduced to "old school" metal like Motörhead and Iron Maiden, but really got me going was thrash. Started off with Metallica and Megadeth, then gradually branched out towards bands like Testament and Overkill before accepting more heavy thrash like that of Slayer, Sepultura, Kreator, Onslaught, etc. Eventually my tastes in metal would extend towards symphonic and power metal as well.

My current musical taste is pretty much a mish-mash of all of the above; you'll find my playlist containing a large dose of thrash and various other styles of metal, video game music, orchestral pieces, and some blues n' jazz standards here and there. There's also the occasional handful of songs I like from bands like Led Zepp, Queen, Cake, American Shoguns and other random-ass musicians, but a grand majority of what I listen to needs to be rhythmically or harmonically technical in order to keep my interest. Never really been one for the "four chords and the truth" formula of modern pop music; technical music makes me feel like my brain actually has to do a bit of work, so I find it much more rewarding to listen to.

• Brohoof 1

Nope.

Started listening to rap/hip-hop in 2001 - still listening to it today.  ;)

Edited by Guest

The music I've listened to over the years has generally grown in intensity, but at the same time I started appreciating soft and beautiful music much more once I reached a certain age, maybe 16 or so. I'm 18 now. 

I really started getting into music when I was somewhere between 10-12 years old. I started out listening to stuff like DragonForce (extreme power metal) and Disturbed (hard rock) that I thought was pretty heavy back then. I still really love DragonForce, but that's one of the bands I listen to now when I'm in the mood for something light. Once I hit age 15 or 16 I started listening to a bunch of death metal, primarily various symphonic and/or melodic subgenres, as well as brutal and/or technical death metal. Once I hit age 17 I also started listening to a bunch of gangster rap, which I try to avoid due to how negative and violent it is but sometimes I listen to it a ton. 

At this point in my life, I really love symphonic/melodic death metal, technical death metal, brutal/technical death metal, and rap (trying to find some that's not so lyrically negative though). Most of all, I love Christmas music, classical music, symphonic/orchestral music (without metal elements), and soundtracks for TV shows, games, etc. My favorite soundtracks of all time are the ones for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as well as EQG 1 & 2. After that I really love the soundtrack for the video game Child of Light.

Since the topic changed a bit i'm going to post my evolution of my musical tastes throughout the years.

When I was young I was not really sure of what my favorite type music was, but I surely hated Pop music when I first heard the style, but some kind of rap music interested me tiny tiny, but not too much and as years passed I really despised the genre, but what i really liked as a kid to hear was rock music on the radio. One of the first experiences of me enjoying rock was when my dad put some of his C.D.s in the car disc player, and when the player was finally able to read the disc some of the greatest rock/psychedelic bands of all time popped up, it was The Doors, I was so young and had no idea of who they were but man when my dad put the C.D. of The Doors I was transported into a great musical dimension and it was how the first root of my musical tastes merged from the ground.

Years past, still a child no idea of what besides rock music was awesome, then one day my sister was at our old computer in my house and she got a message from one of her old friends that told her to listen to a certain song. The song that helped me discover great paths of new music, Master Of Puppets by Metallica. When I heard it, I was paralyzed, because of how cool the song was! The first time I heard Thrash Metal music was at this very moment, but me naive at the time didn't knew what was this genre and just sat there enjoying the song.

Years past, where I was unable to listen to a style of music that would fit my interests, but then things happened. It was in 2008 or 2009 not sure, I was downloading random music from random bands, then I discovered new bands that I liked and that I've been hearing about before, one good example was AC/DC and Chevelle, but AC/DC was the one that got hooked me the most, by 2010 I was a big AC/DC fan, I downloaded all of their studio albums and I even bought their Iron Man compilation which I still got in my possession right now ATM. But suddenly, AC/DC kind of fall of my existence, I started to skip a lot of their songs when they came up on my little MP3 player that I owned in the past and then times past, which signified new discoveries!

In 2010-2011 when I was in my second year of High School, my tastes abruptly changed, changing from AC/DC, Chevelle and Others from bands like Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Voivod, Razor and other bands that created a new path in musical tastes evolution. This is where my Thrash Metal tastes took it's form and by the end of 2011, I began to listen to more genres like Progressive Metal and I started to try to like Death Metal a bit, but at the time I was a little bit skeptical about the genre. Years past, 2012 discovered even more Thrash metal bands and the time where I began to like some Death Metal bands (Morbid Angel, and maybe others), 2013 when I expanded even more in the Death Metal category (Technical Death Metal and even a bit of Brutal Death Metal, bands like Deicide, Beyond Creation,etc...) and started to like Black Metal bands (Mayhem, Burzum, etc...). Then 2014 and now where it pretty much sealed my musical tastes with even experimental music as of now.

So in short, throughout the years, my tastes started with Rock then Rock and Metal then Thrash Metal then right now with Thrash Metal, Speed Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Prog and Power Metal, so yeah it was my evolution which was long but I'm that I listen to this good type of music.

Edited by ObliveonBr0ny

It's expanded, but I still like what I used to like as well. It began with happy hardcore when I was young, then went over to uplifting and euphoric trance, then rock, punk rock, metal etc.

These days I listen to anything with a good rhythm and melody. If there's nothing melodic, I don't like the music.