Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What name are used for female fans of MLP: FiM?

StormRider245

48 users have voted

1. 1. What name is used to girl/woman MLP-FiM fans?

• Brony
    • Pegasister
    • Both
    • Something else...

"Pegasister" is supposed to be the one, but I've noticed a mixed reaction amongst the females. "Brony" is used by some fans who don't like other term. And judging by this thread, some just call themselves "fans". Also, I remember a thread on this site months ago where some people tried to find a truly gender-neutral term and came up with "fimmy" (referring to the Friendship is Magic initials), but it doesn't seem to have caught on.

The most common term used to refer to female fans of MLP is "Pegasister",which originats from the combination of the words "Pegasus" and "Sister",hence PegaSister.

But,in my opinnion,that term is completly sexist because it divides fans of a common interest on separared groups where no one of the other gender can be part of.

The best term to use for both genders is Brony,because,on his origins,it had a gender-neutral meaning, which englobes all the fans,no matter if they are old or young, or if they are boys or girls.

• Brohoof 1

You could always just refer to female fans of FIM as female fans of FIM.  Since it's seemingly such an issue. x3  Bronettes came to mind.  Momentarily.  Fleetingly.  But I immediately realized how stupid it was.

Oh. I may actually start using Bronette... Possibly stupid, but I kinda like the way it rolls of the tounge. Also, I have brown hair, so....

• Brohoof 1

I use the term 'bony' to refer to male fans of the show and 'pegasister' to refer to female fans of the show.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I use MLP fan, brony, pony, occasionally pegasister. I don't really care what I'm called, I just want the right to choose to use any term at any time without being challenged for dumb reasons.

:)

I understand the MLP fan, brony, pony and pegasister. But how dare you label yourself as an "occasionally"!? I will challenge your label of "occasionally" for stupid reasons!

;)

Tounge in cheek, of course.

:)

Edited by GreatAndPowerfulKaty

I understand the MLP fan, brony, pony and pegasister. But how dare you label yourself as an "occasionally"!? I will challenge your label of "occasionally" for stupid reasons!

How dare you challenge my label! What, just because I'm a woman that means I can't be an Occasionally?!? I'll have you know that there are many proud female Occasionallies out there doing amazing things, and I will not have our good names tarnished!

:P

• Brohoof 1

Stage One ... movement

I thought to myself this ... " Here is a good thread taking about the female label of Pony fans ... belongs in Sugarcube Corner." I figured this would be logical and all of a sudden it happened. Talk about weird. ;)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The term "pegasister" is blatantly sexist because it divides the fandom into specific gender categories like toy aisles in toy stores.

I completely disagree.  I can't believe for a second that the term was ever intended this way.  I can understand why females wouldn't want a separate term, because it's much more widely known what a brony is, and you always hear it called the "brony fandom", so it's understandable that they wouldn't want to feel excluded in any way.  But I think it's ridiculous to call the term sexist.  There's nothing sexist about having separate words for males and females for anything.  There are two sexes, and they are different.  There are masculine and femine words to describe them.  Is it sexist to say actor and actress?  I don't think any separate terms are sexist.  I had no problem with waiter and waitress.  Then it became server.  Side note: how is server neutral, but waiter is masculine?  A person who waits, a person who serves.  Makes no sense.  Anyway, I want sexual equality more than anyone, but having separate terms does not mean that anyone is being anty-female.  Bro is short for brother, is it not?  Brother and sister.  We're brothers and sisters.  Why is that sexist?  Should we eliminate all sex-specific words from our language?  Should we not even have boys, girls, men, and women?  Should we just change it to "person with penis", and "person with vagina"?  That's dividing us too, now isn't it?  "Person with Y chromosome", "person without Y chromosome"?  Not really any better.  Sorry to get a little worked up, and I apologize for the reductio ad absurdum, but you make it sound like the term was created with malicious intent, and I think that's ridiculous.

Separate words does not mean anyone is being anti-one sex or the other.  But I respect whatever a person wants to be called.  I just disagree with saying it's blatantly sexist.  But, you know, they're just women, after all.  What do they know?  See, now THAT was blatantly sexist.  See the difference?  But calling a woman a woman is not sexist, and I just fail to see how this is any different, really.  But I do agree with the toy aisle thing.  Dividing toys or tv or anything else is telling boys/girls, and men/women that they should only like one, not the other.  That is sexist and unfair, but it's not sexist, in my opinion, to have words to describe whether a person is male or female, just as it's not racist to call a black person black, or an Asian person Asian.  The intent is not to unfairly divide people, but merely to describe them, so we know who we're talking about.  It's only the sexist and racist people that make it sexist and racist.

I see how it's always masculine terms that are thrown around as gender-neutral (yeah, such a great coincidence we have going there...), and I really don't accept that trend.

[...*snip*...]

masculinity is NOT gender-neutral, and I am not a 'bro'.

That is a thing, isn't it?  People have always used masculine terms for both.  This is just another example of the deep rooted mindset in humanity that males are superior.  This is why it's more acceptable for women to do masculine things than for men to do feminine things.  You'd never hear a group of men refered to as "girls" or "ladies", unless it's meant as an insult, but people refer to both sexes as "guys".  How many times have the mane 6 called each other "guys"?  Lots.  I don't personally find it offensive or anything, but it just seems silly that it evoved this way.  My mom told me how her female friends and her would call each other "guys" all the time.  "Hey, guys, what's up?"  It's just so common for that term to be neutral, but it is, in fact, masculine.  I try to be correct.  When I'm referring to a group of females, I will say "girls", or "ladies".  As I said, it's not anti-female to refer to females using a feminine pronoun.  If it's mixed company, though, I will usually say "guys".  It's kind of hard (and frankly unnecessary) to perfectly correct all the time.  But I think it's sad that referring to a group of females as "guys" is fine, but referring to a group of men as "girls" is an insult.  It's just that whole doing things "like a girl" campaign again.  It shouldn't be an insult.  Another example is "mankind".  Since the dawn of "man".  Those terms are just used to refer to all of humanity.  It's sad to me that it evolved this way, with masculine meaning male, or both, and feminine just meaning female.  That's not true equality.  I try not to say "mankind", but instead, "humankind".

Not quite always, the D&D sourcebooks use the female pronoun to refer to characters of bother genders... but of course I get your point.

We need pronouns that are truly gender-neutral, and that don't feel as impersonal as "It".

I personally like masculine and feminine terms, because I like embracing and celebrating differences, but I wouldn't object to having some truly neutral terms as you suggest.  And that's a nice thing about the D&D, as well.  Magic: the Gathering rulebooks are the same way.  (At least the older ones.  I assume they're still the same)  They only use feminine pronouns to describe players.  This is a bit ironic as well, because I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the majority of Magic players are male.  But I love the fact that they only use feminine pronouns.  Mix things up.  Break the stereotypes.  If we can say "mankind" and "guys" to mean both, why can't we do it the other way around?  Stick it to the man!  (How's that for some irony? :S)  You know, even when people say both, "he or she", it's always "he" first.  I'll regularly mix it up by giving the feminine pronoun top billing.  "She or he".  I actually think about things like this when I speak, believe it or not.

The most common term used to refer to female fans of MLP is "Pegasister",which originats from the combination of the words "Pegasus" and "Sister",hence PegaSister.

But,in my opinnion,that term is completly sexist because it divides fans of a common interest on separared groups where no one of the other gender can be part of.

The best term to use for both genders is Brony,because,on his origins,it had a gender-neutral meaning, which englobes all the fans,no matter if they are old or young, or if they are boys or girls.

So...pegasus+sister is feminine, but bro+pony is neutral?  Again, bro is short for brother, is it not?  Anyway, not going to repeat everything I already said.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 2

Meanie-ator Jeric locked my thread promoting Bronette as a term because it was "covered" here... Grrr! Hoof smash! I started the other thread as this one does not promote the term Bronette and I wanted to start a movement due to a previous poster presenting it.

Yeah, I know you thought this thread covered it, but I was really trying to push a dedicated thread to promote Bronette.

I don't think this is true. It's like how guys are called guys and girls are called girls. Guys and girls can be buddies. Pegasister and brony just refer to the person's gender. It doesn't split the community. If you like everyone being called a brony, that's cool, but whenever I think brony, I think of a guy, and when I think pegasister, I think of a girl.

• Brohoof 1

You can call yourself whatever the hell you want, but I've heard them refer to themselves as bronies, pegasisters, or just fans. Or you could do what I do and use the most inclusive (and accurate) term for the lot of us: weirdos.

• Brohoof 2

So some women wanting to call themselves 'Pegasister' when the other term is clearly masculine is sexist? I think you have things all mixed up. Not that the term 'Brony' is at its root sexist, in reality it was probably just started as a term among a few male fans of the show, and that is fine.

"Brony" can never be gender-neutral. The reasoning I've seen it made to be so has never made any sense. You honestly think I believe that the term coincidentally came from that to 'Brony' when so many guys are obsessed with 'bro' and stamping it everywhere (the internet culture from which this fandom came from VERY guilty of this)?

Fact of the matter is that if a fandom spawned up with a feminine-slanted fandom title like Pegasister, men would never call themselves by it, and they would never be looked down upon for not calling themselves by the title, regardless of whether there was supposedly some magical explanation as to why the term was actually "gender-neutral". No one would buy it. No one should buy it here, either... But it's no shock to me that they do.