Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is being artistic useless nowadays?

TheMarkz0ne

Ever play a game called Ori and The Blind Forest?

The whole visual art direction in that game speaks for itself and just about every inviorment/level in that game are literally painted.

It would have to take some very creative and artistic people to make such a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjc-u8oCYmY

Yes, you could say "oh well, that's good for that game but who would care out side of that"?

Well the world needs artistic people because without them it would become very stale.

A place with no innovation or diversity. 

Ever think about how much influence something created by somebody artistic has on your everyday life?

Music, television, movies, video games, books, stories, clothing, vehicles, building structures, even any advertisements you might see all have a artistic and creative processes in them at some point. 

Artistic and creative people are very valued, and thank Celestia that they are other wise this would be a world I wouldn't want to live in. 

• Brohoof 1

Art is far from useless. It may be difficult to land a job in the arts that pays enough money due to how competitive such positions are: the crazy high expectations for people seeking such jobs combined with way more people wanting to do this than jobs available. 

Despite that fact, art has a tremendous impact on people's lives. It plays a fundamental role in shaping culture, but more important it touches people emotionally: makes them sad, happy, or anywhere in between. It can reflect the human experience, inspire hope and joy in people and communicate powerful messages. 

Regardless of whether or not your job allows you to use your artistic ability, there are many opportunities outside of a paying job to create and share art with others.

• Brohoof 3

You can become an animator, graphic artist, etc. There's a lot of money in that.

• Brohoof 3

Art isn't useless imo it's just theres so much of it and so many artists out there, plenty are bound to get drowned out even if they have super duper creativity. On the bright side however, that means you can have higher odds of finding originality just by browsing around. Though i'm not really sure if anything hasn't been done nowadays as nothing is really "new" just different renditions which is fine.

Don't know if music counts as art lol but I post my music around cause I like to share it, not for fame and stuff. Afterall, I think the first thing about making art is having fun while expressing yourself should be a close second. I can't do anything artistic or creative if I'm not having fun doing it.

• Brohoof 1

Wrong, in the lottery, fate is the only agent. In a competitive market, you make your own success. Will my eventual book be as big and ground breaking as Lord of the Rings, Starship Troopers, or John Carter of Mars? Maybe, maybe not, but I can try. I'd rather try and fail then never having tried in the first place, and if I do fail, I can still pick myself back up and try again.

I have faith in my ideas that I think people will like them, they'll pay to see more of them. Will my work be adapted to a big hollywood blockbuster? Actually, I think that's more likely NOW than it was in the past!

Yeah, it's a competitive market . . . and? That only means may the best man win.

Nope, not the best man. The best marketer. It has very little to do with your skill as a writer or painter or whatever. It has to do with your skill at selling your stories or art. The most absolute crap in the galleries? The stuff that you say 'My six-year-old child with fingerpaints does better than that!' It's in that gallery because someone with skill at selling art talked it up. The book on the shelf at the bookstore? That's there not because it's a stupendous work of literature. It's there because the author managed to sell it to the publisher by jumping through their hoops and getting out of the slushpile. That movie you want of your book? If you want it in a real theatre rather than a YouTube video, that means selling the distribution rights to someone who's job is to get it into those real theatres.

Yeah, it's a competitive market and that means you have to be able to market to compete. There's new avenues for marketing now with the Internet, but it's still marketing. You can be your own 'producer/publisher', but you still have to deal with distributors to get your stuff out and get paid for it. You want to make a living at art, you have to be more than just an artist, you have to be a business.

If you're not willing to do the business of selling art, because it's 'beneath you as an artist' or you simply don't know how to do it, that's when it becomes a lottery.

Nope, not the best man. The best marketer. It has very little to do with your skill as a writer or painter or whatever. It has to do with your skill at selling your stories or art. The most absolute crap in the galleries? The stuff that you say 'My six-year-old child with fingerpaints does better than that!' It's in that gallery because someone with skill at selling art talked it up. The book on the shelf at the bookstore? That's there not because it's a stupendous work of literature. It's there because the author managed to sell it to the publisher by jumping through their hoops and getting out of the slushpile. That movie you want of your book? If you want it in a real theatre rather than a YouTube video, that means selling the distribution rights to someone who's job is to get it into those real theatres.

Yeah, it's a competitive market and that means you have to be able to market to compete. There's new avenues for marketing now with the Internet, but it's still marketing. You can be your own 'producer/publisher', but you still have to deal with distributors to get your stuff out and get paid for it. You want to make a living at art, you have to be more than just an artist, you have to be a business.

If you're not willing to do the business of selling art, because it's 'beneath you as an artist' or you simply don't know how to do it, that's when it becomes a lottery.

So, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Iain M. Banks, and Lauren Faust, all of them have no artistic value, it's just their agents who are really worth their price? Yeah you have to sell your work, I would think that's kind of an accepted reality. I can't just make something and project it into the minds of others, I need to get the word out about it.

I reject your no and reassert my original statement, yes, it's a market, it's a competition, that doesn't make it completely mercenary. Yeah, selling your product is a factor, that's what it is though, a factor. A successful ad campaign doesn't make a movie or game good, just ask the Lorax or Watch_Dogs the piece itself still has to be worth it. Otherwise you might make back the money it took to make it, emphasis on "might" depending on how bad it is, but your actual creative intentions will fail. Whatever idea you were trying to get across will not be heard and people will forget about your art.

Perfect example? Firefly! That show was almost buried by it's marketing, but people liked it and served as better spokespeople than any agent ever could be and they were able to make a movie out of a canceled tv show!

I don't care if my eventual book does or does not become a best seller, as long as people read it and like it, I'll consider it a job well done.

Not everyone is an overnight success, but plenty find their success. Take Sean Russell for instance. Not many have heard of him, but he's put out sixteen books. Not very famous, been doing this for a while, if he's not "Stephen King" famous yet, why doesn't he quit?

i like originality but so many others dont, i dont know why

Perhaps an example of people who don't like originality?

Edited by Steel Accord

It never has been and never will be the unfortunate thing is that getting a decent paying job as an artist, musician or a writer for example is extremely difficult due to how fiercely competitive it is and how monopolized the entertainment industry has become but that has been a problem to a certain degree for quite a long time. Mozart was one of the greatest musicians of all time whose achievements influence the likes of Beethoven, Chopin and even modern musicians yet he was not truly appreciated until long after his death. Does that make his work a waste? Of course it dosen't because it has touched the lives of millions of people.

I myself would like to be a writer and will try my hand and that but also am trying to get something other than my current job which is not working for me in the slightest to fall back on. There is no guarantee of my success but I think I have a good message that a lot of people want to hear and intend to also use that a springboard for other projects as well. Most of my ideas for books are actually non fiction as honestly it is easier to get a non fiction book published than a fiction book but like I said that could act as springboard for other projects. 

• Brohoof 1

It's not that it's useless it is just over saturating the market. When you have 800 artist people will pass you by if you aren't the best of the best. The complete opposite is happening for engineering, there aren't enough people in the feild so it doesn't matter if you are some noob you get slammed with job offers. I got hired the day after I graduated highschool it's so bad.

• Brohoof 1

It's not useless, it's a goddamn wonderful quality to have and I'd probably have nothing to live for in a world without artists. Sadly, it's not a viable career option so a lot of talented people out there might not have a whole lot of opportunity to get noticed. :<

Keep one thing in mind, regarding the arts. Most artists  don't do it to get rich, they do it because of their passion for the art. Like Thrashy said, art is important.. It is how we, as human beings, share our thoughts and feelings and ideas.. To repress /destroy art.. (shudder!) is to destroy our Humanity.

• Brohoof 1

Useless? Not the slightest! Humans are born to be creative, and some have the gift of art. If you want to use that talent of yours for a career, by all means do it! But let me warn you: the art/entertainment industry is highly competitive, so continue to improve your talent when you have the opportunity. Don't let anyone stop you from pursuing your dream!(:

• Brohoof 3

Monetary success in the world of Art is a bit a gamble. You have to hope that your work will be seen by the right people, at the right time. Making art your full-time occupation and trying to sustain yourself on such an unstable foundation is risky as well as dangerous. Im not saying that originality and art are not important or undesired, but rather that it is usually only successful monetarily for either the exceptionally skilled, or the exceptionally lucky. I know it sounds like Im trying to steer you away from what you desire, and in a sense I am. It is just that I had a family member live off food stamps and donations to stay in the Art business without starving. 

• Brohoof 1

I would say it's never been better!

As others have said above, you can reach a bigger audiance than ever before!If you do things right and expose yourself to others it is possible.

But nothing comes to you without working for it.If you are certain that this is what path you want to take in life then go for it!

It is difficult yes, with today's competitive nature, i won't lie it is, but it is not impossible, nothing is.

I for one am certain that i want to remain in the field of art, maybe i will have to take part time jobs next to it, but that doesn't really bother me.It helps me go forward.In 2-3 years i was able to raise my artistic scales to what i have today, i take several commissions for a descent payment whenever i can, so i can't be sad with what i have achieved so far.

We need art for everything, from commercials, illustrations, conceptual artwork, to many other things!

I think the statement still lives, that if someone truly chases his/her dreams it can come true.

So, i would say just grab a pen/pencil, a good ol'sketchbook and start practicing! ^^

Edited by Erad Strum
  • Brohoof 1

Monetary success in the world of Art is a bit a gamble. You have to hope that your work will be seen by the right people, at the right time. Making art your full-time occupation and trying to sustain yourself on such an unstable foundation is risky as well as dangerous. Im not saying that originality and art are not important or undesired, but rather that it is usually only successful monetarily for either the exceptionally skilled, or the exceptionally lucky. I know it sounds like Im trying to steer you away from what you desire, and in a sense I am. It is just that I had a family member live off food stamps and donations to stay in the Art business without starving. 

I'd rather try, fail, and try again than not try at all. As long as you do what you love, your monetary fortune is inconsequential compared to your contentment.

Are you kidding me!?  :okiedokielokie:

Being artistic nowadays is by no means useless! Why do you think Animators, Graphics Designers, Photographers, Videographers, etc. are still needed today? Of course we still need visually artistic (even every other form of art) people around us! Everyone's visual perspective can be different from anyone else's. It's like that traditional quote (I don't know who first quoted it), "Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."

So don't fret about it. :)

• Brohoof 2

So, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Iain M. Banks, and Lauren Faust, all of them have no artistic value, it's just their agents who are really worth their price? Yeah you have to sell your work, I would think that's kind of an accepted reality. I can't just make something and project it into the minds of others, I need to get the word out about it.

I reject your no and reassert my original statement, yes, it's a market, it's a competition, that doesn't make it completely mercenary. Yeah, selling your product is a factor, that's what it is though, a factor. A successful ad campaign doesn't make a movie or game good, just ask the Lorax or Watch_Dogs the piece itself still has to be worth it. Otherwise you might make back the money it took to make it, emphasis on "might" depending on how bad it is, but your actual creative intentions will fail. Whatever idea you were trying to get across will not be heard and people will forget about your art.

Perfect example? Firefly! That show was almost buried by it's marketing, but people liked it and served as better spokespeople than any agent ever could be and they were able to make a movie out of a canceled tv show!

I don't care if my eventual book does or does not become a best seller, as long as people read it and like it, I'll consider it a job well done.

Not everyone is an overnight success, but plenty find their success. Take Sean Russell for instance. Not many have heard of him, but he's put out sixteen books. Not very famous, been doing this for a while, if he's not "Stephen King" famous yet, why doesn't he quit?

Steven King et al, are very successful. That's because they are also very good at business. They have learned how to sell themselves, and their product to the people who want to buy it. Here's some other names for you: Dylan Birtolo and Aleatha Romig. Excellent authors only a very small number of people have heard of. And completely unable to make a living at what they do best, writing. Because they are not very good at marketing themselves. So they have day jobs to pay the bills. Their writing, as much as they would like make a living at it, isn't going to do that. Daemon Willich is a good artist who made a good amount of money off doing Magic cards. And after he did that he refused to play the game and market himself, assuming that what he'd done with Magic was enough and he didn't need to market anymore. Now he takes whatever job he can, painting houses, doing roofing, etc. Because simply being good at making art isn't enough to make a living at art.

And that's what the OP of this thread wanted to know, can they make a living at art? It's not about stupendous success, it's about making a living at it. And if you're not able, or willing, to sell your art then no, you're not going to make a living at it. There's nothing stopping you still doing it, but don't get the unrealistic idea that people are going to pay you for something if you won't sell it to them. If you enjoy producing work just for the joy of creation (which I do), that's fine as a hobby. But if you want to make a living off of it, you'll have to sell it somehow. Which means learning *how* to sell it.

Yes, Firefly was crushed by it's marketing. And it was *wonderful* and created a massive fanbase. But that fanbase came about because Joss Whedon and company realized pretty quickly that they were being crushed, and took matters into their own hands and figured out how to market themselves. Not in time to save the show, but still they learned how to do their own marketing. Now they are very strongly into marketing themselves, see 'Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' and the current 'Con Man' indigogo campaign. (No, seriously, go see this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/con-man, they're at 4x their funding goal at this point.)

Didn't read the OP's comment and didnt read anyone elses, but I gotta say no. The ability to create beauty is not useless, never. Beauty in a world filled with hate is a fresh spring in a vicious desert. You just need to make sure to share your artisticness with people who appreciate it, such as in an art thread, submitting to Equestria daily, posting it to reddit.com/r/mylittlepony, and hosting it on deviantart.

Musicians like me would be at a loss if not for artists to make our cover art, or the art we use in PMV slideshows etc.

in fact, the only part of EQD I read in depth is the art portion and comics.

Also, submit art to My Little Brony on cheezburger.com. It's one of the most viral MLP sites for art out there (My video got posted there, got 5k views in a week, and more people like art than do music)

• Brohoof 2

Steven King et al, are very successful. That's because they are also very good at business. They have learned how to sell themselves, and their product to the people who want to buy it. Here's some other names for you: Dylan Birtolo and Aleatha Romig. Excellent authors only a very small number of people have heard of. And completely unable to make a living at what they do best, writing. Because they are not very good at marketing themselves. So they have day jobs to pay the bills. Their writing, as much as they would like make a living at it, isn't going to do that. Daemon Willich is a good artist who made a good amount of money off doing Magic cards. And after he did that he refused to play the game and market himself, assuming that what he'd done with Magic was enough and he didn't need to market anymore. Now he takes whatever job he can, painting houses, doing roofing, etc. Because simply being good at making art isn't enough to make a living at art.

And that's what the OP of this thread wanted to know, can they make a living at art? It's not about stupendous success, it's about making a living at it. And if you're not able, or willing, to sell your art then no, you're not going to make a living at it. There's nothing stopping you still doing it, but don't get the unrealistic idea that people are going to pay you for something if you won't sell it to them. If you enjoy producing work just for the joy of creation (which I do), that's fine as a hobby. But if you want to make a living off of it, you'll have to sell it somehow. Which means learning *how* to sell it.

Yes, Firefly was crushed by it's marketing. And it was *wonderful* and created a massive fanbase. But that fanbase came about because Joss Whedon and company realized pretty quickly that they were being crushed, and took matters into their own hands and figured out how to market themselves. Not in time to save the show, but still they learned how to do their own marketing. Now they are very strongly into marketing themselves, see 'Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' and the current 'Con Man' indigogo campaign. (No, seriously, go see this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/con-man, they're at 4x their funding goal at this point.)

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm going to make it my goal in life to prove both you and Mark wrong. (Though I mean no animosity when I say this.) My school teaches how to create art but it also teaches how to sell it. I'm going to make a living off of my writing. God willing that these Forums are still up a few years from now, I'll give a status update on how I was able to quit my day job because I got a writing staff position somewhere.

Knowing how to be a good marketer of your work does not degrade it's artistic value. That only happens if you compromise the work for the sale rather than let the sale work for the ideas within. If it works for my father and my mother, it can work for anyone. I will be that exemplar in life and in the stories I craft.

Edited by Steel Accord

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

You know, I don't think we do, because I think we're talking *past* each other and aren't actually arguing. I'll explain in a second. :)

I'm going to make it my goal in life to prove both you and Mark wrong. (Though I mean no animosity when I say this.) My school teaches how to create art but it also teaches how to sell it.

And there it is. You're learning how to sell your art. And that's all that is necessary. But it's also a step that a lot of artists I know refuse to do. They refuse to learn how to sell it, in many cases because they believe if they do sell something it fundamentally compromises the art itself.

Here's a conversation I had a couple of years ago with a painter friend of mine. We're sitting in her parent's attic which she uses as a studio. The entire place is full of finished canvases of fantasy scenes, and she's scraping the paint off of one canvas in order to re-use it. All while lamenting about not having the money to buy more canvases. So I say, there's several conventions in the area with art shows and auctions that she could enter and I'm sure she'd sell a good chunk of this stuff, which would easily pay for more canvases. And I'd pay the entry fee for her because we're friends, so all she'd have to do is collect the money afterwards from the show. She gets this terrified look on her face, "NO! I'm not going to be a sell-out!"

A lot of artists get this idea in their heads that selling their art is the same thing as selling out. Just because the word 'selling' is in both. Advertising your skill is not a bad thing. Marketing is not evil. Making a living off your art is not impossible. But you have to learn how to do it, just like any other skill, and if you refuse to learn it's not going to work.

• Brohoof 1