gaming What is the OLDEST video game console you've played/owned?

Mrain901

The Sega Master System (model II). It was my first console ever. I still have it  :bedeyes:  

Really? Cool!

I don't really hear a lot about the Master System or see many games for it floating around here in the States. (I've found rare games like Voyeur for CD-i before and have yet to find a single thing for the Master System.) It wasn't anywhere near as popular here as it was in Europe and Brazil; the indomitable NES can be blamed for that.

Edited by RCTM

The oldest console I played was the Atari 2600. I don't think I have played anything older than that. And that was way back when I was just a wee lad. I can vaguely remember playing Pitfall.

The oldest console I can remember owning was an NES.

the oldest console I use to play was an atari 2600 after that was a snes and a Sega Genesis.

I'd still have them if my mom didn't throw them away when I was younger. She thought they were broken because you have to blow out the game cartridge so often....

The oldest console I played was the Atari 2600. I don't think I have played anything older than that.

Most people here probably haven't. You can't get much older than the 2600, except for a Magnavox Odyssey, one of the many, many Pong consoles, or an obscure console like the Coleco Telstar.

On-topic: Could've sworn I posted this before, but the oldest console I've ever played is my 2600, followed closely in second by my Atari 400 which is two years younger.

I actually found a Magnavox odyssey at goodwill complete in box with the tv attachments. It was only $10 but I had a real problem hooking it to an old tv with the prongs. It worked but man were the games not fun. The best one was a version of pong that you could move the paddle anywhere but there was no ai so it had to be played with another person.

The oldest for me is Atari 2600, played and owned. My dad has a decent collection of Atari 2600 games, they are pretty neato. It's just weird thinking about the advancements in such a short amount of time, relatively speaking. First it was squares and simple pixels, now, well, it is pretty crazy. :P

I actually found a Magnavox odyssey at goodwill complete in box with the tv attachments. It was only $10 but I had a real problem hooking it to an old tv with the prongs. It worked but man were the games not fun. The best one was a version of pong that you could move the paddle anywhere but there was no ai so it had to be played with another person.

Ah, the good days.

I used to own one, but I gave it to a... 

DO WE LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN?  :blink:

I've played on an original Coleco Vision, which my dad had owned before me. The joysticks are impossible, and the little button overlay things are pretty funky. Donkey Kong is way easier on the actual arcade machine, and even easier on the computer when using an arcade emulator.

The oldest I had was an NES. Sadly, I don't have it anymore because it broke many years ago and we never got around to replacing it.

We gave away all of the NES games we had to my aunt's family.

So it has those ridiculous-looking overlays you had to put on your TV, and everything? Brilliant.  :lol:

I don't know why you were expecting anything more than that, though. It was made in 1972, for crying out loud.  :P

I find that a good portion of Goodwill stores don't know very much about the video games they have, so the really rare stuff tends to slip by them for crazy-low prices. (I found a NIB SNES game for $6, once) Still, that's an amazing find! Odysseys without their box and with just a few of the games are worth at least $250 on their own; CIB Odysseys like the one you found go for around $400 on eBay. Definitely an impressive find, my friend.   ;)

This value, though, is due pretty much solely to its age and landmark history in video games since the games themselves are...well, I don't even need to comment, seeing as all of them are literally a tiny white square on a blue screen and the only visual difference is when you stick the overlays on.

It's certainly impressive as a demonstration of how far technology has come in an astonishingly small period (even the 2600, released just five years after, shows magnitudes of improvement) but as for actually playing it? Maybe once or twice, after that it would start to get stale pretty fast. As in, immediately.  >_>

Edited by RCTM

Ah, the good days.

I used to own one, but I gave it to a... 

DO WE LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN?  :blink:

I doubt it since I live in Tennessee.   

So it has those ridiculous-looking overlays you had to put on your TV, and everything? Brilliant.  :lol:

I don't know why you were expecting anything more than that, though. It was made in 1972, for crying out loud.  :P

I find that a good portion of Goodwill stores don't know very much about the video games they have, so the really rare stuff tends to slip by them for crazy-low prices. (I found a NIB SNES game for $6, once) Still, that's an amazing find! Odysseys without their box and with just a few of the games are worth at least $250 on their own; CIB Odysseys like the one you found go for around $400 on eBay. Definitely an impressive find, my friend.   ;)

This value, though, is due pretty much solely to its age and landmark history in video games since the games themselves are...well, I don't even need to comment, seeing as all of them are literally a tiny white square on a blue screen and the only visual difference is when you stick the overlays on.

It's certainly impressive as a demonstration of how far technology has come in an astonishingly small period (even the 2600, released just five years after, shows magnitudes of improvement) but as for actually playing it? Maybe once or twice, after that it would start to get stale pretty fast. As in, immediately.  >_>

Wow I guess I better hold on to it then.

The oldest console i've played was the NES, the oldest i've owned is the PS1. I still have it but it doesn't work, something's broken with the cover thing so it doesn't close and the power button is stuck. I've got a PS2 currently but i haven't played any games on it for ages.