Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Transhumanism and My Little Pony fandom fit together?

Microghost

Well, on the topic of pony-shaped transhumanism, if someone figured out a way to give people the organic equivalent of a gravity gun (but with finer control), a unicorn would certainly be a viable form to take for vanity reasons, with the horn/gravity gun taking on the role of hands.

Going back to my suggestion that early significant transhumanist efforts would include getting the human body to being able to build all of its own essential nutrients, another thing would be granting humans the ability to break down tougher foods like cellulose for nutrition.

• Brohoof 2

Well, on the topic of pony-shaped transhumanism, if someone figured out a way to give people the organic equivalent of a gravity gun (but with finer control), a unicorn would certainly be a viable form to take for vanity reasons, with the horn/gravity gun taking on the role of hands.

I see it being more practically realized as having the unicorn morph have optimized mental capacities and perhaps remote interface and operation with different devices. To effect more "magical" abilities. Altering one of the basic elements of nature seems just a tad beyond what we are capable of even in the most optimistic of projections.

Going back to my suggestion that early significant transhumanist efforts would include getting the human body to being able to build all of its own essential nutrients, another thing would be granting humans the ability to break down tougher foods like cellulose for nutrition.

Agreed. I know I would appreciate such augmentations. Trying to diet has been much harder than I thought. If I could digest sugar, I'd shell out my life savings for that! 

I see it being more practically realized as having the unicorn morph have optimized mental capacities and perhaps remote interface and operation with different devices. To effect more "magical" abilities. Altering one of the basic elements of nature seems just a tad beyond what we are capable of even in the most optimistic of projections.

Agreed. I know I would appreciate such augmentations. Trying to diet has been much harder than I thought. If I could digest sugar, I'd shell out my life savings for that! 

In the field of transhumanism, I'm more for going with biological, genetic improvements over cybernetics. It's something that can then (hopefully) trickle through the human genome, and is less likely to become a liability once established if something happens to our technologies.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In the field of transhumanism, I'm more for going with biological, genetic improvements over cybernetics. It's something that can then (hopefully) trickle through the human genome, and is less likely to become a liability once established if something happens to our technologies.

Agreed but not for the same reason, although those are good ones. While I think cybernetics are more likely to come first, I'd prefer the bio-mod version. As part of the reason my faith in spirituality actually ties into transhumanism, many of the religions attached to my martial arts such as Buddhism and Taoism stress a union of body and mind to make a healthy whole and thus (by my interpretation) a healthy soul.

Thus, wings, a tail, superior sense or what have you that were grown tailored to your body are more holistic to your being than a silicon based device that's grafted on to you.

I'd still say we should have morphological freedom and the choice of either or none, but if personally given the choice and means, I would also go for the splice over cyber option.

Edited by Steel Accord

Well I would defend my stance as a transhumanist Christian if you would allow me to. 

You could at least defend your stance, but I really don't want it to turn into a debate. It just won't do any good. I won't be changing my mind, and I doubt you will either.  

• Brohoof 1

You could at least defend your stance, but I really don't want it to turn into a debate. It just won't do any good. I won't be changing my mind, and I doubt you will either.  

True, but that would not be my intent TO change your mind. Simply that if you find my criteria of being a Christian because I'm also a transhumanist to be wanting, I would elaborate as to my justification from a religious and spiritual point of view.

True, but that would not be my intent TO change your mind. Simply that if you find my criteria of being a Christian because I'm also a transhumanist to be wanting, I would elaborate as to my justification from a religious and spiritual point of view.

I'm actually curious myself to see how this would pan out. How the same set of spiritual beliefs in relation to the same subject are actually producing two different viewpoints. Not really to prove who's right or wrong, but just to know why. The end results don't matter to me (agnostic), but I'm still curious. 

• Brohoof 1

Well ... they're not mutually exclusive, but I don't particularly see a connection. Transhumanism concerns the alleviation of the human condition, while FiM is about friendship.

There can be some overlap. Certainly if we develop the technology to digitize memory, record it, store it, and indeed share it with out friends as easily as a facebook message or email it would make people more empathetic to one another. The proverbial, "walk a mile in someone else's shoes."

• Brohoof 2

There can be some overlap. Certainly if we develop the technology to digitize memory, record it, store it, and indeed share it with out friends as easily as a facebook message or email it would make people more empathetic to one another. The proverbial, "walk a mile in someone else's shoes."

I agree that both fields are influenced by technology. Transhumanism could bring out technological innovation which would in turn alter the nature of friendship, but transhumanism itself does not directly relate to friendship.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that both fields are influenced by technology. Transhumanism could bring out technological innovation which would in turn alter the nature of friendship, but transhumanism itself does not directly relate to friendship.

Emphasis on some overlap.

• Brohoof 2

We are not that naive.

The idea is not "becoming a computer"; but rather making a computer a "closer enough" facsimil of us, so everything that defines my ego survives; even if "me" (as myself) does actually not.

Is not that different of having a child that you raise, educate and indoctrinate so it becomes "as closer as you" as posible; while also applying punishment and/or brainwashing to prevent lazyness (or free thinking) setting a career choice or other character defining aspect of their personality in a way you do not like.

Is the ultimate bastardization of the "right" to force inanimate matter to transport your "memes".

Or.. you know... you can just die and be forgotten. Forever.

- - - - -

EDIT:

Since Poe's law is in effect; I must declare:

"THIS POST IS A PARODY"

People shouldn't be forced into these technologies. The other people who wants the technologies shouldn't be criminalized for seeking it. Cognitive Liberty can help so that those who wants to get upgraded can do it without irrational government restrictions while those who want to stay the way they are can go on with their lives without institutions budding in to force the technologies. There's also rlthe grey area where some regular people would want aome technologies but not others and some transhumanists who wants ome technologies but not others. I would personally like the better living through chemistry and better health with healthy food and excercise and the cure for unpreventable diseases like cancer or dementia. I would be ok with a way to become near indestructable as well. Maybe become a cyborg. What I wouldn't want is to have food that had genotoxic(toxic to genes and cause harmful or fatal mutations) in it or to get a brain chip implant when the brain can be unlocked with the right food and supplements and the growing number of nootropics to allow the brain's ability for exponential learning. Also, since 2C-D at low doses is claimed to have memory enhancing effects, maybe modified molecules can increase the nootropics range or something. There's sunifiram, but it's also pretty new. Brain chips would both likely to be used for tracking people's thoughts against their will and there's the possibility of the chip short circuiting and causing moderate to significant degrees of brain damage. Plus, brain chips may cost thousands and even millions of dollars while nootropics(vitamins, supplements, natural plants, synthetic ones, odd nootropics) have already existed for a while and are cheaper, and they can't scan your thoughts with nootropics. Though the technology would still exist and have fierce competition from chemists and scientists if chemistry had much less restrictions by governments saying "oh no. That stuff can permanently enhance creativity or problem solving skils in regular people. The other stuff can reduce people's excessive anxiety safety. That cuts into the money pile from our companies so you can't do that". By the time they even have brain chips, NZT would likely have already existed, though maybe just an Einstein IQ and not the stereotypical 4 digit IQ. Also, since society often discourages extreme critical thinking and sweep the history of transhumanism under the rug and to the back of the internet, then fiction often prevail as the best evidence for such an ideology. There's still some of the developing technology, but it's still too new for some parts of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2766678/Rise-Terminator-Scientists-create-shape-shifting-liquid-metal-used-heal-human-body.html

(edited)

I have no idea why you quoted my "joke" post (were I was making fun of the idea of having to die first in order to "live forever").

Now, (because it is a pain to read it raw); I will take some time to properly format your post in a more legible way for others:

People shouldn't be forced into these technologies.

The "other people" who wants the technologies shouldn't be criminalized for seeking it.

Cognitive Liberty can help, so that those who wants to get upgraded can do it (without irrational government restrictions);  while those who want to stay the way they are can go on with their lives (without institutions budding in to force the technologies).

There's also the "grey area", where some regular people would want some technologies but not others, and some transhumanists who wants some technologies but not others. 

I would personally like the better living through chemistry, better health with healthy food and excercise, and the cure for unpreventable diseases like cancer or dementia.

I would be ok with a way to become near indestructable as well. Maybe become a cyborg. 

What I wouldn't want is to have food that had "genotoxic" chemicals (toxic to the genes, causing harmful or fatal mutations). Neither to get a brain chip implant when the brain can be unlocked.

With the right food and supplements and the growing number of nootropics to allow the brain's ability for exponential learning.

Since 2C-D at low doses is claimed to have memory enhancing effects, maybe modified molecules can increase the nootropics range or something. Also there's sunifiram, but it's pretty new. 

Brain chips would both likely to be used for "tracking" people's thoughts against their will; and there's the possibility of the chip short circuiting and causing moderate to significant degrees of brain damage.

Brain chips may cost thousands and even millions of dollars, while nootropics (vitamins, supplements, natural plants, synthetic ones, odd nootropics), have already existed for a while and are cheaper and they can't  "scan your thoughts" with nootropics.

Though the technology would still exist and have fierce competition (from chemists and scientists); if chemistry had much less restrictions by governments, that stuff can permanently enhance creativity or problem solving skils in regular people.

The other stuff can reduce people's excessive anxiety safety. 

That cuts into the money pile from our companies [so "you can't do that"].

By the time they even have brain chips, NZT would likely have already existed, though maybe just an Einstein IQ and not the stereotypical 4 digit IQ.

Society often discourages extreme critical thinking; "sweeping" the history of transhumanism under the rug and to the back of the internet, (then fiction often prevail as the best evidence for such an ideology).

There's still some of the developing technology, but it's still too new for some parts of it.

[barely rrelated link] to a sensationalist british online magazine:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2766678/Rise-Terminator-Scientists-create-shape-shifting-liquid-metal-used-heal-human-body.html

Your understanding of the relationship between raw chemicals, their metabolites, the neutrotransmisors in the brain reacting to them and the construction of toughts is either incomplete or wrong.

The idea of "decoding a personal tought" by mere observation is absurd. There is no universal, clear "output" for a brainwave related to an "specific concept" in the mess that is the mind of a single person (at most, you can know when some specialized part of the brain is active, but not "what is happening" inside it without also interfering with the tought itself). 

Uncertainty_principle

Also, the same brain can hold multiple conciousness at the same time; flowing trough the same neurons and synapsis.

It has being recorded for decades; but it was only recently scientifically proven with human adult twin siameses (sharing parts of their brains but still having different personalities).

Is the neurological explanation behind the mere "psycological aspects" of multiple personality disorders; and the theorized background for the creation of Tulpae in neurotypicals.

- - - 

Any kind of "chip" implanted on the brain (with the porpouse of interacting with the neurons at a logical level) would use the same resources available in the medium (ATP/glucose & oxigen) and would had to operate at the same voltages and currents already in the brain.

There will be no porpouse for a "battery" or capacitor able to "buildup" a discharge great enough to generate any damage, [since the bloodflow should never stop in the first place, the device will never have a lack of "power supply"].

If some kind of conectivity with the outside world was desired (not necessary, since a "chip" can help to store and/or process data without the need of mainframe outiside the brain); it would be done with low frequency radio waves not in the range were water or fats could absorb their energy [to prevent screening]; with also makes imposible to "heat up" the brain the way old generation cellphones do with microwaves [designed to pass trough buildings].

A very short range (low power) router placed on the outside of the head will pick up the signals from inside, and transmit it then to other systems with a separate comunication protocol/carrier (most likely some common Wi-Fi).

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Yes. I am one. In fact, we have some of the same ideas. Don't know how they relate, though, or why you couldn't be both.

As a fellow transhumanist brony, I say one can be both.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1