Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need help with a BIG music project!

colt_following

(edited)

Hi, everypony!
The Equestria Big Band is forming!
We are a small group of musicians who are looking to translate our favorite tunes from Equestria into a style that we love. We aim to produce high-quality recordings from well-written arrangements, and eventually build the project up to promote and be promoted by many other great MLP projects around the globe.

For myself, I love creating something that I can gift to the community to enjoy, and I'm a big fan of the fanbase taking command and ownership of something like this.

(For those who need to see some of my work, click the linked words!)

Below is a list of positions in the band that are open to apply for. We will most likely find more role in the future that we'll need filled.

Open Positions

- 1 drummer

- 1 jazz guitar player

- 1+ trumpet player

- 1 alto saxophonist

- 1 tenor saxophonist

- 1 baritone saxophonist

- Additional roles (visual/graphics artists, etc...)

- Other musicians who would like to be featured or feature our project

- YouTubers, Artists, People who want to help promote

- [We'll probably find more positions as we move forward]

Completed/Working Arrangements

This is a reference so that no one wastes any time working on arrangements of song that are already done!

(Complete)

"Winter Wrap Up" - colt_following

"The Art of the Dress" - colt_following

(Incomplete)

"Apples to the Core" - colt_following

"Morning in Ponyville" - colt_following

"Smile" - blue_note

"The Failure Song" - TopQuark

Equestria Big Band - Current Members

This just takes up a lot of space!

Brass (Trumpet, Trombone)

blue_note - (trumpet)

- colt_following - (trombone)

Saxes/Aux. Winds

Clover Heart (alto saxophone)

TheRainbowDashNinja (tenor saxophone)

Event_Horizon - (clarinet)

- TopQuark - (possible clarinet)

Rhythm Section

blue_note - (drums)

Event_Horizon - (piano)

wolfsclaw - (various percussion)

Arrangers

blue_note - (arranger)

colt_following - (arranger)

Event_Horizon - (arranger)

TopQuark - (arranger)

- Steel Matt (possible arranger)

Audio Engineering

Sudo Krenton (Audio Engineering)

Artists

Clover Heart (artist)

Sudo Krenton (artist)

ALL joining performers MUST have decent recording equipment. I hold my personal production to a pretty high standard and while I want to be as inclusive as possible, I definitely want to keep a high level of quality. Admission IS on a try-out basis, so we can't guarantee that you'll be in if you apply/try out. 
For those who join: You'll likely be playing multiple parts and might take some improv solos. 

Note: If you wish or choose to join, you have to be willing to practice to get good, put up with having to perform multiple takes/retakes, take criticism, play possibly difficult charts and parts by perhaps good arrangers, and maybe not receive a lick of payback beyond lots of compliments and your own feelings of self-accomplishment!

The way I see it, Twilight is definitely a tenor sax. Rainbow probably is first trumpet, and Rarity is on bari sax. Applejack is a trombone. Fluttershy would probably be keys/piano. Pinkie is on drums. Luna is most likely on bass.

Join the band!

Edited by colt_following
  • Brohoof 2

That's funny that this comes up because this is EXACTLY what my brother wants to do. He'd be delighted to hear another brony wants to arrange a big band.

I will try to contact you because I can help too

Ok, I'm a trumpet player/trombonist/bassist/drummer.I love jazz and I'm think I'm a pretty good player. I had the same exact idea and started writing out a big band arrangement for Smile. If there's anything you want/need from me send me an email. I've been wanting to form a big band for the longest bloody time.

• Brohoof 1

AWESOME! This is great, guys- send me a PM here and I'll get a sort of email list started or something. I'm assuming we'll pick up a few more players and people willing to pitch in along the way; whether they be musicians, artists, technically or creatively minded. I think this project could use a fair bit of help!

The best part I see about a project like this is that even if we DON'T get a whole album done, and only get a few recordings, we'd still have something to show for the effort and it will have been a good experience.

btw, blue_note... is your name a reference to the record company? just curious :)

Alright, so after a several hours of work, I've NEARLY completed my arrangement of "Winter Wrap Up". It's not quite the way you'll know it- as I've put a bit of a personal spin on it overall, but it keeps a sort of core of the original song.

If anyone wants to get in, I've got open spots for GOOD jazz saxophones players of all flavors, and trumpet! Otherwise I'll synthesize the saxes and play all the brass myself, and everyone can hear this awesome arrangement!

(edited)

I'm an alto saxophonist! :D I'll have to find some good recording equipment, but if you can wait a week or two...?

This sounds like so much fun. Can't wait to see what you've got planned.

note: I haven't done much improv before, if that's a deal breaker :/

Edited by Ursa

I'm an alto saxophonist! :D I'll have to find some good recording equipment, but if you can wait a week or two...?

This sounds like so much fun. Can't wait to see what you've got planned.

note: I haven't done much improv before, if that's a deal breaker :/

Hey there, Ursa! If you think you could find suitable recording equipment within the next couple of weeks, I'd definitely like you to give a shot. It's a pretty sweet arrangement, although it is HARD, in my opinion.

On a 1-10 scale, what playing level would you consider yourself? (10 being being professional, 1 being can't play)

Hm, I've never been good with scales like that... perhaps a 6 or 7?

Okay, forgetting the numbers, can I just explain? I'm better at explaining XD

I'm in a high school jazz arrangement, and have been doing this sort of thing for 3 years. I can't improv or play without music worth shiz, but I can read most jazz, though lots of sixteenth rests thrown in randomly throw me off. My max playing level is about, ehh... probably the solo on Them Changes, if you've heard of it. I can play something like that semi-okay, but only with lots of practice. I actually am playing that in a weeks time at a jazz festival and I'm so screwed

Hm, say, what's the key signature for the piece, and how many sixteenth or thirty second beats are thrown in? That's the real question, lol

I haven't actually decided ona final key, so right now it's in C. I'm thinking something like Bb... since I need to be able to hit these high notes on trumpet. Do you have a key you work best in?

And hey- good luck at that festival. I went to a competition with my jazz band and for some reason we played EVERY piece far too quickly and we sounded terrible. We didn't even tune beforehand!!

I work best with lots of things... as long as there aren't more than 3 sharps or 2 flats, lol. Bb would work just fine ^^

Thanks :) And really? You didn't even tune beforehand?? How tired was your director that day? XD

Haha- He took the first trumpet's suggestion that we jump into 20 minutes of prep time without tuning and we ended up just never tuning! It sucked.

For everyone:

I am open to suggestions for songs that should be arranged! I'm actually having a little trouble finding songs that fit. I'm sure no one wants to hear a swing version of "Hop Skip and Jump"! (or does anyone...?)

Yeah I am also not the best soloist, but I'm literally applying for some lessons today so I should improve rather quickly. I can also read sheet music G/F clef, so I know my theory.

(edited)

Out of curiosity, what fomat would you like the submissions to be (MIDI, PDF, etc.)?

Hi, TopQuark! Are you looking to arrange/compose? For myself, both are going to be needed- parts will be in PDF, but I like to do orchestrations/mockups with MIDI. Send me a message and we'll discuss it a little more there.

Edited by colt_following

First post updated with a 'completed arrangements' list. I've done a couple now, so hopefully those who are members are ready to start practicing and recording some things.

Everyone else- GET IN on this project! We need your help!

(edited)

@@colt_following,  I can play alto saxophone, but it's been a number of years since I played consistently. I'm also not so sure about time devotion. I have a hard enough time as it is working on all my own projects. Also, I live in an apartment and work days, which sorta cuts down on the amount of time I can actually play. Well, I know I'm probably not ideal, but if you're desperate for an alto sax player, I'd be willing to participate. Maybe we should try it out anyway and see if things would work out between us.

I can also sing decently. I know that wasn't a listed part, but if you ever need a singer, I might be able to, if I'm up to snuff.

I can also do art, if you need any art. Here are my Deviantart pages:

http://bluerazzdesigns.deviantart.com/

http://zexonyte.deviantart.com/

I'm also on YouTube. Albeit not a very big channel. I'd be willing to do some cross-promotion:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Zexonyte

Let me know if you have anywhere you can/want to put me :)

Edited by Clover Heart

@@colt_following,  I can play alto saxophone, but it's been a number of years since I played consistently. I'm also not so sure about time devotion. I have a hard enough time as it is working on all my own projects. Also, I live in an apartment and work days, which sorta cuts down on the amount of time I can actually play. Well, I know I'm probably not ideal, but if you're desperate for an alto sax player, I'd be willing to participate. Maybe we should try it out anyway and see if things would work out between us.

I can also sing decently. I know that wasn't a listed part, but if you ever need a singer, I might be able to, if I'm up to snuff.

I can also do art, if you need any art. Here are my Deviantart pages:

http://bluerazzdesigns.deviantart.com/

http://zexonyte.deviantart.com/

I'm also on YouTube. Albeit not a very big channel. I'd be willing to do some cross-promotion:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Zexonyte

Let me know if you have anywhere you can/want to put me :)

Clover Heart, the band would love to have you!

At the moment we are sort of really scraping for saxophone players- we're not really on any time crunch or anything, but it seems that in general it's really tough to find good brony saxophone players who are interested. Send me a PM and we can discuss it more there!

Put Me on as Tenor Pls THANKS!!

Hey TheRainbowDashNinja!!

I've been gouging for tenor players so you're more than welcome. Can you send me a private message whenever you get the chance, and I'll give you the details there.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP: I updated the main post to list positions more clearly, and to add some new recruits. Additionally we're currently looking for a few more folks willing to fill some positions.

We've already started passing out music and practicing, so get on board!

• 3 weeks later...