music How do you organize your music

SpiderDiscord

(edited)

(previous content under spoiler)

I hope this is in the right section, media just didn't seem right

I have been playing around with how I organize my music, but have been having trouble finding a way that I am comfortable with. So am wondering how you guys have your music organized.

So far I am thinking of utilizing the Category, Genre, and/or Grouping features in itunes to label each song.

Planning to label them by their Subject (what song is about) and Tone (how song is played/sung)

Then creating smart playlists based on activity which specify which labels to include/exclude...

How I have these layed out so far:

Subject

(none, Rights, Dark, Love, Silly, Leaving, Empower, Done, Optimism, Death, Down, Sorrow)

Tone

(Fast, Rock, Slow, Acoustic, Trance, Electronic, Pop, Soft, Harsh, Folk, Dance, Glam)

I fear I may be making it too complicated again (has been my downfall in the past)

But in what ways do you have your music organized?

I think I got an idea for it thank you!
But do have another question about genres... is there a site or something that can help me hear the key differences in each? like how they get labeled to begin with...
I could just look up each song, but would personally like to customize them in a way

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have much music. It's orginized like this:

Folder for anime songs

Folder for Gorrilaz songs (it has it's own folder as there are a lot of these songs)

Folder for MLP songs

Folder for gaming music (I mean soundtracks, mainly consist of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts)

Folder for miscellaneous songs (songs that don't fit into a category since I don't have many of that type)

I have a folder for each band and then a subfolder for the album. I need to go through and sort by genre eventually, but as of now I just sort of artist, album artist, album, and the tracklisting of each song. I also have a folder for something specific like one for Sonic the hedgehog OSTs, one for Mario OSTs, one for Pokemon OSTs and then a subfolder for each album. iTunes does most of the work for me.

As for you, I feel like what you're doing is fine, I've had playlists sorted for each mood (happy, sad, study, angry, energetic, etc..) and it's never failed me before as long as you don't let the music become a mess. However I sort the mood/subject by playlist and not with each track since that seems like too much work.

I have a folder for MLP songs with two subfolders for show songs and fanmade music, a folder for Japanese music (mostly Kamen Rider) and separate folders for the very few bands I have more than two or three songs of. Everything else goes into a Misc. folder and is organized by title. 

I put all the music I download to a folder and in ITunes I organize them by the date I added them to my library so I know the songs who have a cd cover and the ones who have not.

I orginise mine based on what they are for:

post-7214-0-72678500-1431906944_thumb.png

So i separate them based on what im listening to it for, working, driving etc.  B)

• Brohoof 1

I don't... I really should though :P Can't find anything :P

same, why I want to

Also when playing music while cleaning I tend to have it on play once then stop since idk what will come on next.

(and a social anxiety wort, especially when it comes to playing my music out loud)

The way I organize my music is by folders, I have one for MLP, one for Normal music (which is every other song that doesn't fit), and one for Epic music. Now how I organize them inside the folders, well I don't! I just remember where each song is in the list. xD

Since the majority of music I listen to is listened to from youtube, I just have a large collection of bookmarks that I search. I just remember what songs are what genres, etc....although it's fun to scroll through the bookmarks, I get a feeling of nostalgia...:)

(edited)

PC - By Album

Phone - Just playlists for each "type". One for rap, another for MLP, another for MLP+other songs, and other (pop, rock, rap) music.

Edited by Rainbow S.D.

All my music I have is from CDs even in these years. I used to go shop at a place that used to sell used CDs and since I used to buy from there all the time I have a ton of em now. I've just organized them in a box and uploaded them on my computer and put them on my phone.

However it's auto-organized by my MP3 Player. That's about it. I think it's organized in alphabetical order and then in whatever sorting method I use to search so it could be album, band or even just all songs in alphabetical. They're all useful for different reasons.

I organize music by artists.

You may be suprised, but my music folder is called "Music!"

And in this folder it follows the pattern <artist name in alphabetical order> <albums sorted according to the date they were released on> (optional) <CD1, CD2, bonus tracks and stuff> 

Although it got a bit messy, so I will have to clean it up today a bit.