Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would this be a good idea for a G5 show?

Plonkett

Ok first I'm going to say that G4 can go on as long as it likes and FiM can go on for a bunch of more seasons in the future. When that ends, we could get a sequel series about the children of the mane 6 and other FiM characters. We could even get prequel series after it that takes place 1000 years or so before FiM, being about another student of Celestia and her friends, and would take place long before Luna's banishment.

But let's be real, G5 will one day come into fruition, and the question remains on what it'll be like. I think what would be a great idea for a G5 series is that it could be more adventure based opposed to G4 being slice of life oriented, though it could still have its humor and a bit of drama here and there. The plot itself would have a more anime-inspired feel.

While the world of G4 feels rather simplified, the world of G5 could turn it up a notch and add a whole new level of detail that the G4 world seems to lack. The pony nation would be one of the many nations in the show's world. Other races like griffons, dragons, zebras (and other African based animals), minotaurs, cervids, kirins, etc would have their own nations as well. The pony nation could offer even more variety then Equestria could ever have when it comes to worldbuilding.

The animation style would still be inspired by G4, but still slightly different (well obviously you've seen a lot of MLP fan artists who use their own style). For the animation itself, instead of using flash like G4 does, it could be done by a program like Toon Boom.

Do you think this would work well for a G5 show?

I don't fully get who you're targeting this at (audience-wise), and why though. To me, a lot of the charm of G4 was the innocence and life that works given it's cutesy nature and slice of life approach. What you're describing sounds like you're trying to expand on it and kick it into a more hardcore form... yet still having a world centered around the magic of friendship, colorful ponies, and simplistic animation?

Heck, what comes to mind is something akin to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

To me, it being set in the MLP universe would really just make all the elements you described feel out of place. I think you'd be able to better explore the adventure-driven, more detailed world if you were to simply take it out of MLP entirely and have it be its own entity. --Don't get me wrong, I think if it was handled right it could be cool, and I think the MLP universe does have some potential for some awesome stuff like that (especially if reimaginings are on the table), but the legacy of the legitimate show leaves seemes to limit that severely, since it's firmly been aimed at the youth despite it's older audience and built a multi-generational name as a franchise that's friendly towards little girls--who probably wouldn't like the new direction I might add?

But, I have fanfiction and such to help validate the potential for taking the universe differently. Hm.

Just my thoughts.  :please: Overall, I just don't think MLP could drift that way without backlash.

• Brohoof 3

Heck, what comes to mind is something akin to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

That's pretty much the idea lol.

If your idea of a 'sequel' has anything to do with G4, then it wouldn't be a new generation (G5), it would be a spin-off (G4.5).

Apparently you didn't read past the first paragraph then assumed that's what the point of my topic was.

(edited)

@@vgmaster9, still, I don't think entirely revamping the show, plot, characters, world portrayal, level of detail, and all that works solidly for something that's existed for so long, and has gained a reputation for being aimed at little girls? One could argue that happened for G4, but the basic aim and center remained the same from what I gather... I think just creating a new series that borrows some of the good ideas of MLP would probably work better.  :huh:

I think a retake on MLP could work I guess (I'll admit I can think of an awesome look/setup I'd be happy with seeing), or at least a series set in a similar world would work, but I would peg it less as a G5 thing if it was to occur--at best something of a spin-off series that distances itself from their glamorous and girly toys, merchandise, and established focus on princesses and friendship. But even then, I think it's more of a wish of fans to hardcore things up to try to make MLP less of what it is, and more of what fits the audience they represent?

Basically, take MLP away from little girls, and give it to older dudes? 

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 2

Sounds like too much for a kid's show. You have to remember that if we wanted a show like the one you're talking about we'd watch shows made for gown-ups for something. Most of us like the innocence of this show and it's characters.

As far as the next generation is concerned, I would like it if it wasn't a complete reboot and took place some time after G4 so we might even see the return of some characters from G4 except they're a lot older and maturer.

As far as I know of I don't really want another generation to come out but I do like the ideas you implemented of the series becoming more adventurous. Focusing on more than just the mane six itself but after seeing what G4 has offered so far. I think I'll just settle for what we have in this generation and I don't think I could see myself getting into another extension or something completely new from what G4 has offered. Yet again though you never know something until you give it a chance. I watched the equestria girls movie and I did not like that one bit so there is something they tried new and I did not like at all. I suppose it just depends on the person to person and what they want.

My idea for G5 is as follows:

We would see the Cutie Mark Crusaders all grown up and together with Dinky, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon become the new Mane 6 and the new holders of the elements of harmony. This will also show their adventures and we may also see the G4 Mane 6 make cameos. I think that the same Voice Actresses will be used.

I don't get why everyone thinks G5 will be in the same universe as G4. G1, G3, and G4 took place in different universes. Most likely, the art style, animation style, and the characters will be different. It will still be owned by Hasbro, but the creator will be a different person. If they make a G4.5 (which they most likely will) Then it's more possible for it to be in the same universe. When they get to G5, though, it won't even take place in Equestria. Most of the characters you love won't even be there. There may be ponies based on them, but it won't be them. 

Look at G1, G3, and G4. Notice the huge difference between the generations. 

G2 never had a show. 

We don't know what to expect for G5. Will it be adventurous like G1, Slice of Life like G1.5, or a mixture of both like G4? Let's hope they don't go the G3 route. We don't even know what the ponies will look like. It most likely won't look the same as g4. 

They won't even have the friendship theme. They may have episodes about friendship, but it will be going down a different path. 

The generations are not the same.

• Brohoof 2

I don't get why everyone thinks G5 will be in the same universe as G4. G1, G3, and G4 took place in different universes. Most likely, the art style, animation style, and the characters will be different. It will still be owned by Hasbro, but the creator will be a different person. If they make a G4.5 (which they most likely will) Then it's more possible for it to be in the same universe. When they get to G5, though, it won't even take place in Equestria. Most of the characters you love won't even be there. There may be ponies based on them, but it won't be them. 

Look at G1, G3, and G4. Notice the huge difference between the generations. 

G2 never had a show. 

We don't know what to expect for G5. Will it be adventurous like G1, Slice of Life like G1.5, or a mixture of both like G4? Let's hope they don't go the G3 route. We don't even know what the ponies will look like. It most likely won't look the same as g4. 

They won't even have the friendship theme. They may have episodes about friendship, but it will be going down a different path. 

The generations are not the same.

You're not referring to me as well, right? If not, then I completely agree. People should know that FiM is basically G4 alone. Any other show that's set in Equestria would be G4.5, and G4.75 even.

You're not referring to me as well, right? If not, then I completely agree. People should know that FiM is basically G4 alone. Any other show that's set in Equestria would be G4.5, and G4.75 even.

I'm talking to everyone who wants g5 to be cmc or anything that takes place in Equestria.

(edited)
turn it up a notch and add a whole new level of detail

Well you see, this is the problem. You know what happens when you turn it up a notch? Symphony of Steel happens. It's my fanfic, but it gives you an idea of how Equestria would be with realistic racism, large scale greed, realistic economy, territorial envy, world wars &c. &c. &c., and it's not the sweetest thing ever to read.

I'm ok with a more realistic MLP and would love the idea, but you have to remember that the show is just a big advertisement for Hasbro's toys. It seems like a lot of people forgot it. If you want more realism, fanfics are the way to go.

Edited by MCAsomm

What's the point to change generations if they'll use the same universe as G4?  :huh: , they might as well stick to G4  :dash: . I do expect one or two spin off apart of EG though  :grin2:

• Brohoof 2

What's the point to change generations if they'll use the same universe as G4?  :huh: , they might as well stick to G4  :dash: . I do expect one or two spin off apart of EG though  :grin2:

Maybe if you read past the first paragraph you'd actually get the point of my topic.

Maybe if you read past the first paragraph you'd actually get the point of my topic.

Still it's basically the same animation, the same style, only in a different setting. I should't be called G5, rather G4 origins or something like that. For it to be G5, it would probably need to take place in a whole new world with nothing in common with Celestia's Equestria and maybe even have a new art style.

Still it's basically the same animation, the same style, only in a different setting. I should't be called G5, rather G4 origins or something like that. For it to be G5, it would probably need to take place in a whole new world with nothing in common with Celestia's Equestria and maybe even have a new art style.

Umm, I never said G5 should take place in Equestria. I was basically saying that the world in G5 could have more to offer than the one in G4.

Umm, I never said G5 should take place in Equestria. I was basically saying that the world in G5 could have more to offer than the one in G4.

Oh, misread the post.

But really, if you go way more in depth, you forget it's basically one giant ad for Hasbro's MLP toys. If Faust didn't join the team, we would still see the stereotyped crap that is G1, G2 and G3. If you want more realism, you should go to the fanfics' side, but the show will sadly stay an unrealistic children's one, especially after Faust left.  We've already seen what they done with EQG, so we're just lucky the canon MLP isn't that way.