Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What you think of Pegasui and Earth Ponies with Magic?/Problem with others about

Echo Narcissa

Earth and Pegasui Ponies with "extra powers"?  

15 users have voted

1. 1. Do you care whether or not some fans decide to give Earth and Pegasui Ponies "extra powers"

• Yes (Explain why... I guess)
    • No (Explain)
    • Neutral

You really think so? :kindness:

I also did my best with his overall backstory. :blush:

Yep I do. ^_^ The ice powers didn't come from nowhere if they had it would of bothered me. But as he is? I think he is a pretty cool OC pun intended. =p

• Brohoof 1

Yep I do. ^_^ The ice powers didn't come from nowhere if they had it would of bothered me. But as he is? I think he is a pretty cool OC pun intended. =p

*sniff* Thank you so much. :( *hugs*  :D

• Brohoof 1

*sniff* Thank you so much. :( *hugs*   :D

I like your OC, too I mean, I haven't read about him yet, but if his info is somewhere here, I can try and read it to see what he is all about cause i might think he is a pretty good character, too.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, my friend I might have to read some of this and come back later.. this would be a little too much for me to for to read in just a few minutes, but I will definitely read the rest later

Take your time. :) No big rush.

Okay, since you want to try to be a smart-A by using the term "If it not broke don't fix" (and don't say you weren't trying to, I know what you thinking and meant) I'm just going to be technical, so technically they are not balanced because in technical terms of balance, it means even, so the ponies are not even/balanced cause two of the races can't technically use even/balanced magic, so when you go deep into like some do, they're not really balanced at all and they have limitations as she mentioned before, so there will also be a good story.  -_-

I stand by my words. I'm surprised by the hostility...people are free to disagree with you. When you put this on an open forum, you should expect different opinions.

MLP has given us a clearly defined world with a clear balance of power. The rules were set for us, and changing the rules changes the world. I could see an earth pony with a powerful magic item using magic as defined by that item, say a cloak that can turn him into a bat...but using a whole array of magic powers? No. Build a unicorn instead if that is what you want.

one episode had the Mane six wielding super powers in a comic book, but even those powers were limited. Pinky could go super fast, but that was pretty much it.

limitations and balance are there for a reason. If anypony can use magic, then what is so special about being a unicorn? nothing. Why have the race at all?

I would rather see an earth pony with horse shoes of water walking, a saddlebag of holding and an amulet of fireballs (that can shoot three a day) than see no difference between him and a unicorn.

Thats my two cents.

• Brohoof 3

One of my pet peeves on creating an OC is using the wrong species. That is why I support bispecies ponies. 

I used to have a friend who had an OC that could control electricity and was into technology. Pegasus: Perhaps. Unicorn: Possible. Earth pony: NO! There was nothing Earth Pony about him. Since his OC can fly, he should just be a pegasus!. He only made his OC an Earth Pony so he could be the superior race. 

If your OC works in the fields and are really strong, they have to be Earth Pony in my opinion. 

Now to answer your question: I have a big problem with earth pony or pegasus OCs with unicorn style magic. Just like I have a problem with Earth Ponies or Unicorns who can fly, and I have a problem with unicorn or pegasi who can grow plants. 

The reason I am fine with bispecies: If you want an OC who... let's say.... grows gardens on clouds. They should be Pegasus and Earth Pony. (Looks pegasus, though, so should be specified in the species.) 

That's my opinion. 

• Brohoof 1

Um, no, I was talking about you, close minded it not an insult, it just means you don't open up your mind enough to things because everyone wants to deem it the same thing as impossible or can't happen or whatever.

You clearly meant it as an insult.  Also, I wasn't close minded, I had an different opinion then you did.  

(edited)

You clearly meant it as an insult.  Also, I wasn't close minded, I had an different opinion then you did.  

All well, I tried don't really care what think I tried, so believe what you want. Your just one person, and I'm not going to spend too much time convincing one person of something.  ^_^

Edited by Echo Narcissa

Pegasi have magic.   They couldn't fly (too big) or cloud walk & control clouds without it.  I grew up in the country & I (the voice of experience) will tell you that "bucking" a tree (kicking a tree & having all the ripe fruit fall out) is magic.  IRL, it is very hard to shake a tree branch hard enough to knock the fruit loose, never mind the whole tree.  Even storms will knock a few loose but usually not all.

As to fics with extra powered ponies, I've seen some that were pretty good.  Estee's unfinished work Triptych is excellent (Earth pony magic & why they keep it secret) & he has a short story about a Pegasus facing prejudice because her Cutie Mark was for fixing magical devices.  I saw a short story about Scootaloo not being able to fly because she had Unicorn magic (sorry, ICR the title -I'm bad w names).  I've also seen some that flat out sucked.

David Eddings wrote an essay about writing fantasy (IIRC it is in The Rivan Codex) & he said the biggest problem he faced in the Belgariad novels was not over powering the wizards.  As he put it, "who can climb into the ring & go 15 rounds with God?" 

I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons since the mid 1970s & I will tell you nothing will kill a game faster than too powerful a character.  But, I blame the GM for allowing it.  It's normal to want all you can get for your character & bad GMing to allow it in your game.

• Brohoof 1