Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If they had to replace a voice actor, would it ruin the show for you?

KillerKingBakudan

What if, under extremely unfavorable circumstances, Tara Strong, Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman, or Tabitha St. Germain dropped out? Would you be willing to accept another VA if they could try their damnedest to mimic their characters? Or would you be turned off the instant you notice any subtle differences?

If they replaced Tabby, it would impact my overall enjoyment, but not ruin it wholesale. The acting is one piece (albeit a big one) of why I love the show, but there are many elements that make me smile.

I mean, I love season 5 and I haven't even gotten a Rarity episode yet. BTW, when that happens ... brace yourselves.

• Brohoof 3

It all goes downhill for me when they replace a voice actor in anything with established characters. On rare occasion, they manage to find someone who is even BETTER and more fitting to the characters. But when a show has been going on as long as MLP, you get really used to those voices. A character's voice and acting is one huge piece of what brings them to life to the audience. If not for that, they'd just be a bunch of silent flash puppets with pretty designs. So no, I would not accept a new voice actor unless they somehow made the character sound better or I could not tell the difference. (My ears are very sensitive to subtle changes in sound though, so I'd likely notice) That doesn't mean I'd stop watching. My brain would just pretty much consider it to be a different version of a character with a new voice actor.

...That's pretty much the reason why I have trouble watching fanworks unless they manage to emulate the voice actor really accurately.

I'm hontestly not sure.  The VA's are a big part of why I love the show and fandom, so if they were replaced, IDK if I could go on watching it.  I'd like to think I would, but if there's a major change to part of a show, I end up not being able to continue.

Like Dexter's Lab.  When it came back for another season or two, Dexter's VA had been changed, along with the animation style and I just couldn't watch it.  It's also why I doubt I'll be watching the new Powerpuff Girls series, since the original VAs aren't coming back.

Nope. It's the animation that counts. Besides got to give other voice actors a chance, the VA position is a very competitive position and only the most popular ones get to keep them.

Probably not, but it would probably irk me for a little while till I got used to the new voice actor for a certain character or characters. I doubt it would ruin the show for me as long as the replacement voice actor is at least decent. I would hope that Hasbro would put at least minimum effort to find a voice actor who sounds at least reasonably similar this time around. When they replaced Venus Terzo as the G3 Rainbow Dash they couldn't even be bothered to find someone who sounded remotely like her. Of course, it was G3 and that wasn't anywhere near the worst part about that series. Any effort at all in terms of writing, characters or any other element probably would have been appreciated.

The voice acting is a big reason why people love the show. The voices for each character are so fitting. I couldn't imagine someone else playing them. If they replaces a voice actor, the fandom would flip. It wouldn't ruin the show for me, but it'll certainly make things so much different.

We've been used to these voices for so many years (plus I love the voice actors as people, have you seen the panels?), but as long as the stories and writing is still good, I'd probably still watch the show.

(edited)

Depends.

There are some good replacements I could see happening if such occasions occur(I.e. I could see the person who voiced Spinelli in Recess do a pretty good Rainbow Dash)

Edited by Megas75

hahaha that would be great

if a pony got a different actor they should make an episode where the other ponies notice she sounds different and ask her about it and the pony with the new voice actor is just: "I dON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT" and the ponies are afraid they have offended her so they just say "ok" and everything goes as normal afterwards

If it has to be done then I suppose I wouldn't whine about it, but pretty much every character in the show's voices are extremely distinct at this point... it would definitely be hard to find another great-sounding Rarity or Applejack, for example. :pout:

If they replaced even one of the Voice Actresses. I will be so mad at DHX that I would like to force them to eat my dog's poop. But I realise that the person has a YouTube channel and subscribe to that channel.

If they replaced even one of the Voice Actresses. I will be so mad at DHX that I would like to force them to eat my dog's poop. But I realise that the person has a YouTube channel and subscribe to that channel.

I'd only get pissed at DHX if they replaced a VA for no reason. They can't be blamed for everything. The VAs could lose their voice. They could pull a Tommy Oliver and say "Fuck this show. Fuck these bronies. I'm done." Or worst comes to worst, they could die in a car accident (god forbid). Things just get out of control sometimes, making drastic changes necessary.

The same thing happened with Pokemon (boy, if any of you remember that). hwoo... That was a thing.

They (the creators) changed literally every single voice actor that had any importance. Really, the first, mabye 10, episodes are weird, but it becomes natural after awhile.There have been times where it was weird to hear the old voice actors again.

So i think there will be rage and hate at first, but people will adapt as us humans are so good at doing.

Depending on the character, it would definitely throw me for a loop and sadden me for sure, that would be a pretty big change and some change I am really not too good at adapting to. It would never ruin the whole show for me though, I would get used to it. Sometimes things happen and voice actors might have to be replaced due to circumstances, hopefully it doesn't happen in the near future but it would not be the end of the show for me.

Unless they made Rarity sound like a male for whatever reason. That would be pushing it. :P

I doubt I'd be able to ignore the changes. Any recast of a voice I've grown accustomed to hearing tends to throw me for a loop, and the big Pokemon swap Applejack Wack mentioned above is an example of that. I hadn't been watching the show for many many years at that point, but it bummed me out none the less when I heard the new voices for the first time. A change in something I am currently watching would likely provoke an even stronger reaction.

Though, as a hypothetical sort of thing, I am curious how Kazumi Evans and Shannon-Kent would do at voicing Rarity and Pinkie. The singing voice actresses almost feel like understudies at times.

Though, as a hypothetical sort of thing, I am curious how Kazumi Evans and Shannon-Kent would do at voicing Rarity and Pinkie. The singing voice actresses almost feel like understudies at times.

That makes sense. I could see them being first in line if Tabitha or Andrea left.

And Rebecca Shoichet is good at doing her own Twilight impersonations, not just singing as her.

• Brohoof 1