Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Doom Thread [Cute Cacos Inside]

Light Rain

Zandronum.

Welcome to the thread!

Please feel free to post whatever Doom related stuff you find or know about; I didn't intend the OP to be exhaustive just something to give a taste and draw in new players

By the way what I'd really like to see is people posting their own maps. This community has many creative minds, I'd like to see what they can come up with -- as long as I don't have to shoot ponies. :)

• Brohoof 1

Probably one of the best qualities of Doom is how easy it is to try out and get into for the first time. The game is available on the Xbox Live Arcade, and virtually free on PCs and Mac. It requires almost nothing to run, and will work even on my little Netbook.

Probably one of the best qualities of Doom is how easy it is to try out and get into for the first time. The game is available on the Xbox Live Arcade, and virtually free on PCs and Mac. It requires almost nothing to run, and will work even on my little Netbook.

Doom has been made to run on everything by now, but playing it on a 486 or Pentium with a CRT is definitely A Feel. I wish I still had mine. :'(

• Brohoof 1

Doom has been made to run on everything by now, but playing it on a 486 or Pentium with a CRT is definitely A Feel. I wish I still had mine. :'(

Hell I am sure that my toaster could even run it.

Or even your calculator. :)

This is a very beautiful thing right here.

How do you disable the frameblur in ZDoom?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean sprites being blurry in GZDoom then try Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Texture Options and set Texture Filter Mode to None.

I made a comparison:

S6fACV5.png

If this doesn't help please post what source port you are using and the exact version number. I downloaded the latest ZDoom and I didn't see any blur.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean sprites being blurry in GZDoom then try Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Texture Options and set Texture Filter Mode to None.

I made a comparison:

sig-3976334.S6fACV5.png

If this doesn't help please post what source port you are using and the exact version number. I downloaded the latest ZDoom and I didn't see any blur.

I'm using DOOM1.WAD and the latest Windows version. I know this because I downloaded it this morning.

Also, how is the hud enabled?

Got it. I installed GZDoom and it had no issues. How do you remap controller buttons?

I'm using DOOM1.WAD and the latest Windows version. I know this because I downloaded it this morning.

Also, how is the hud enabled?

Got it. I installed GZDoom and it had no issues. How do you remap controller buttons?

The latest Windows version of what? ZDoom?

In ZDoom and GZDoom the hud is enabled by changing the screen size at Options > Display Options > Screen Size; you can see the classic hud on screen sizes 10 and below.

You can get a more minimalist hud by changing the screen size to 11, and turning on Options > Hud Options > Alternative hud > Enable alternative hud.

I haven't used a gamepad with GZDoom before but you probably have to do something in Options >Joystick options. I'd start with enabling controller support.

The latest Windows version of what? ZDoom?

In ZDoom and GZDoom the hud is enabled by changing the screen size at Options > Display Options > Screen Size; you can see the classic hud on screen sizes 10 and below.

You can get a more minimalist hud by changing the screen size to 11, and turning on Options > Hud Options > Alternative hud > Enable alternative hud.

I haven't used a gamepad with GZDoom before but you probably have to do something in Options >Joystick options. I'd start with enabling controller support.

I think he means Windows 10 or so as on July 29th is when people get their free copy of Windows 10. 

Since we're here, let us talk about some of the more hilariously horrid ports of Doom. We all know about the SNES port which looked terrible, but the 32X port is by far one of the worst: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8MugNM0RY

Despite being on a more powerful console, the 32X port of Doom actually feels WORSE than the SNES version. Virtually almost all of the sound is butchered beyond words, the game still runs slow and they needed to put it inside that box to reduce the res so the 32X could even run it. If I recall a good chunk of the levels are missing as well.

But then there are also interesting ports of Doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAo65z2jgfo

The PSX version of Doom, while some consider it a blasphemous port because it completely changed the iconic soundtrack was still an interesting port. It was Doom with more dynamic lighting and the soundtrack while not the one I love, DEFINITELY makes the game feel completely different. It's got kind of a horror feel to it. It combined some of the elements of Doom 2, and of course graphically the game looks pretty close to its PC original.

Since we're here, let us talk about some of the more hilariously horrid ports of Doom. We all know about the SNES port which looked terrible, but the 32X port is by far one of the worst: 

Despite being on a more powerful console, the 32X port of Doom actually feels WORSE than the SNES version. Virtually almost all of the sound is butchered beyond words, the game still runs slow and they needed to put it inside that box to reduce the res so the 32X could even run it. If I recall a good chunk of the levels are missing as well.

But then there are also interesting ports of Doom: 

The PSX version of Doom, while some consider it a blasphemous port because it completely changed the iconic soundtrack was still an interesting port. It was Doom with more dynamic lighting and the soundtrack while not the one I love, DEFINITELY makes the game feel completely different. It's got kind of a horror feel to it. It combined some of the elements of Doom 2, and of course graphically the game looks pretty close to its PC original.

That sega port slays me :lol: . Also PSX version sounds more like they reused Quake sound assets instead of Doom's despite Quake being a newer game.

Edited by Nuke87654

Well I Have been playing a lot of The Master Levels For Doom 2 recently (THE ORIGINAL DOS VERSION, NO SOURCE PORT, and yes i have the master levels on steam) and apparently i am trying to beat all 21 levels that are included in The Master Levels for doom 2 expansion i only completed one so far, which is ttrap.wad.

so my side goal is to complete all the master levels for doom 2.

(for those who dont know, Master Levels for doom is a expansion pack for doom 2 which adds 20 levels(21 levels since teeth.wad has a secret level) made by independent map makers, its available on steam if you own doom 2 and the best part is that its free if you own doom 2)

• Brohoof 2

I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to maps so I'm just replaying ultimate doom. It's my favourite , doom 2 doesn't have as good a maps imo. Makes trying to mod rather intimidating really. Looking forward to Doom 4 SnapMap though.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to maps so I'm just replaying ultimate doom. It's my favourite , doom 2 doesn't have as good a maps imo. Makes trying to mod rather intimidating really. Looking forward to Doom 4 SnapMap though.

I'd imagine Snap Map and hopefully more modding features would make Doom 4 a modders dream as the Doom games have generally been. Ultimate Doom's maps are more varied, I'll give you that.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

I've been making some more Progress in modding Doom II. So far I have a rough idea of the type of map I want to make, I also tested out how to make an outdoor area. The textures are all simple at this point, but for the final map I'd have more detailing inside rooms, secrets, switches etc.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31439a_doom-ii-modding-test-2-outdoors_videogames

• Brohoof 2

I noticed this thread a few days ago, but I'm only now deciding to post something here.

I love Doom. I remember playing it all the time as a kid, especially with co-op mods. I also played a lot of Doom 3 when it came out, and I can remember being scared when I played it for the first time. 

Recently I've been playing Brutal Doom. I'm not playing it constantly, but I have been playing it a decent amount. I'm really enjoying it though. It's nice to see that the Doom community is still going. 

• Brohoof 2