Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mane 6 with economy?

darkwingmare

Hello everypony, I'm not sure if this topic has already been up before but I couldn't find it, so I made my own. So, yesterday I was thinking about economy and how the ponies hold up with money. Specifically, the mane 6.

Applejack has a family that she has to take care of, so she obviously needs to earn money and we've seen in the show that money is what she often aims for when it comes to it. She wanted to sell at the Gala, she sells cider, she sells apples and pies in a stand in the middle of Ponyville.. She really tries to earn money now and again. This fixation is probably because she needs to take care of her farm and family to keep it all running.

Pinkie Pie works at Sugarcube Corner, probably to earn money and buy her party accessories? And I cannot imagine that it's free to live in a house like they all do. They probably pay rent somehow, all of them.

Rarity has her boutique, makes dresses for others and probably earns money that way. She has a sister as well, that she sometimes need to take care of. As well as keeping her budget up to buy fabric and other necessary things for her dress-making.

Twilight is a Princess now but I'm not sure how she makes money...  She was a student of Celestia before, so I'm still a bit confused about that. Has anyone else gotten any idea?

Rainbow Dash literally doesn't do much at all. Perhaps she works for Clouds-dale somehow, but that sounds a bit weak of a theory to me.

Fluttershy takes care of ponies pets, but I cannot imagine she would charge many ponies for anything like that. Otherwise she doesn't do much for a living either...

applejack_at_the_gala_by_shelltoontv-d3g

Lend me your ideas and thoughts, I'd love to know what you think!

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 1

Good points! Here are my thoughts on how each of the mane six make their living.

Twilight Sparkle - Teaches Fillies and gets looked after and everything paid for her since she's now a Princess.

Fluttershy - Looks after Ponyvile local wild life and in turn gets paid for it.

Rainbow Dash - Gets paid for busting Clouds like every other Pegasi who busts them Clouds. 

Apple Jack - Has her Family Apple Farm and probably makes a lot of Bits of it.

Pinkie Pie - Sells cakes in Suger Cube Corner.

Rarity - Sells Clothes at her Tailor/Clothes Store.

Keep in mind they're all 'Protectors' of Pony Kind, this must get them state funding too.

• Brohoof 2

they don't need to make much money because they don't live in a consumer culture like we do, money is secondary to living,

they make money to buy food and live on, they don't really work themselves to death and go into debt to buy tons and tons of junk they don't need, that is made to break fast so you have to buy more.

• Brohoof 2

Twilight: Oppresses the lower classes and clings to outdated dogm... I mean, gets taxes.

Applejack: owns a farm, duh.
Rarity: Boutique, business owner

Pinkie pie: works at the cake's.

Rainbow dash: Sky janitor.

Fluttershy: Equestrian wealthfare. Alternatively, gets paid a stipend by the mayor to act in a position similar to park ranger on the outskirts of town.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/22/2018 at 6:21 AM, Flootyershy said:

In the movie twilight said " I order a perfect weather" so that mean she paid rainbow to do it (I think)

It probably means that, being one of Equestria's rulers and one of the heads of the government, she can simply order things to be done and they will get done by the appropriate institutions and sorted out by the royal treasury.

Twilight, due to her position, is honestly aside any real monetary concerns. She probably doesn't have the most amount of bits on-hand at any given moment (that would be Rarity me thinks), but it's kinda moot when one can go "I want a new train station built over there!" and have it happen :P

It's not entirely clear what does and doesn't cost money in Equestria's economy, but I'm pretty sure the ponies do work to make a living, given that they have a currency which they often exchange for goods and services. Almost all of them have fairly clear jobs.

Applejack sells apples and apple products from her farm. 

Rarity sells dresses not just in Ponyville, but also in two of Equestria's biggest cities. She's suggested to be relatively well-known, so she must be loaded. 

Rainbow Dash used to work on making weather, which I presume was government-funded. Now she works with the Wonderbolts, which I think means she gets a very similar government paycheck, perhaps with a bit extra from ticket sales. It doesn't appear that the Wonderbolts allow sponsorship. 

Pinkie Pie sells sweets at Sugarcube Corner. 

It wasn't really clear how Twilight Sparkle made money in earlier seasons. Now I presume she receives a stipend from Equestria's tax revenues. 

Fluttershy, who knows. Maybe others pay her to take care of animals? I doubt she profits off of pets. Maybe she subsists off foraging and small-scale farming, even. It's never made particularly clear.