Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Well, it's been a very long time. I think I have some explaining to do

5a347y547y547y

Ok so first off. I'm back, but it may not be for long. Not after what I saw at brony con 2015. Now most of you know what may/may not have happened at the stand up section of it. (Which if you asked me, was some of the WORST stand up I've ever seen.) There were 2 "comics" I saw there. A white one and a black one. I forgot their names, and it's probably best that I did. Honestly they were both just awful, and garbage. The black one waaas waaaaaaay worse. I mean when you have both comics end with "Yeah I suck at this." and the other one end with a stupid meme (The just do it one) then you are a bad comic.

But it wasn't their acts that made me question the fandom. It was the Q&A. I'm sure most of you have heard of AnimatedJames. He asked the comics this "If you suck at stand up why did you agree to do it?" Which I thought was a good question. He was HONEST. Which we seem to be lacking here lately. We shove Honesty out the window here for our own self gain and other emotions. He was banned from open mic because of a question that he got APPROVED and asked. The fandom thought he was heckling the "comics" and was straight up banned for what they assumed was heckling but an honest and simple question. The fandom is killing honesty, and it really needs to change.

He was right. Say what you will but AnimatedJames was right. I have no intentions of going to BronyCon again after this.

But needless to say, I am back after being medically discharged from the National Guard due to my poor vision. But I'm definitely am disappointed on how the fandom itself has acted recently. 

(Note: And we still can't take a joke either. Hence why two garbage comics were on stage)

EDIT: Left out some info that I thought was useless but now is only more usefull because of proof-reading.

You cannot use the actions of some to paint many others. That I think might be your mistake in this case. Two bad comics is not enough to paint the entire fandom in a bad light. The fandom is not perfect by any means and it has problems, but I don't see those problems in this scenario specifically. 

• Brohoof 1

You cannot use the actions of some to paint many others. That I think might be your mistake in this case. Two bad comics is not enough to paint the entire fandom in a bad light. The fandom is not perfect by any means and it has problems, but I don't see those problems in this scenario specifically. 

I've think you've missed my point. Or didn't read it all the way through. The point I'm making is that this fandom isn't appreciating honestly like it use to before. We're almost to the point where we've handed over our right to free speech in order to keep others happy. I've been in this fandom since 2012 and it has lost most of it's truer meaning.

I think the problem that @HexDex is going for is that the fandom tends to give everyone a medal when they get creative. I can agree with the point he is making: there's a lot of people who are just really, really not-good at what they do, be it writing or art or what-have-you. But the fandom as a whole still pats them on the back and pushes them to "keep trying!" when the talent simply isn't there.

Looking back, I even toned down my honesty in this post by saying "not-good" instead of "bad." Bleh.

I agree, HexDex. Honest opinions, even if that opinion is "You might want to look into other employment opportunities," are at an all-time low in this fandom.

EDIT: ninja'd. Rats.

Edited by Kolth
  • Brohoof 1

I think the problem that @HexDex is going for is that the fandom tends to give everyone a medal when they get creative. I can agree with the point he is making: there's a lot of people who are just really, really not-good at what they do, be it writing or art or what-have-you. But the fandom as a whole still pats them on the back and pushes them to "keep trying!" when the talent simply isn't there.

Looking back, I even toned down my honesty in this post by saying "not-good" instead of "bad." Bleh.

I agree, HexDex. Honest opinions, even if that opinion is "You might want to look into other employment opportunities," are at an all-time low in this fandom.

EXACTLY THE POINT I WAS MAKING! Way to really hit the nail on the head there.

• Brohoof 1

I think the problem that @HexDex is going for is that the fandom tends to give everyone a medal when they get creative. I can agree with that point: there's a lot of people who are just really, really not-good at what they do, be it writing or art or what-have-you. But the fandom as a whole still pats them on the back and pushes them to "keep trying!" when the talent simply isn't there.

I can agree with this to some extent, but why have disappointment in an entire fandom for such a thing? Two bad comics at one con, nobody bats an eye but that does equal a terrible fandom? I definitely do think that HexDex is right about how some in the fandom treat work that is not so great, I have been through this myself, thinking that my work is great at first but then realizing it is garbage only for others to tell me how awesome I am. I don't think I am awesome, I don't think I have any talents at all, but some apparently do. I don't see that as a huge issue though even if I disagree with them and I think it is unfair to paint the whole fandom in a negative way because of what some might do. 

I don't see that as a huge issue though even if I disagree with them and I think it is unfair to paint the whole fandom in a negative way because of what some might do. 

I dunno. There's a lot of talent in this fandom, definitely. But from my experience as an editor through FiMFiction and what-not, there are may more people who should be content with reading fanfiction rather than writing it. Not saying the whole fandom is awful, mind you, but we could improve in this area. A bit less huggy-feely reviews and more "Come back in six months after practicing" would be nice, at least from my point of view. 

I've straight-up told writers who have requested reviews/editing from me before that I can't read their story and they need to try again. They thanked me for my time and went back to improve their work. I think a bit of tough love now and then isn't altogether a bad thing.

• Brohoof 1

I can agree with this to some extent, but why have disappointment in an entire fandom for such a thing? Two bad comics at one con, nobody bats an eye but that does equal a terrible fandom? I definitely do think that HexDex is right about how some in the fandom treat work that is not so great, I have been through this myself, thinking that my work is great at first but then realizing it is garbage only for others to tell me how awesome I am. I don't think I am awesome, I don't think I have any talents at all, but some apparently do. I don't see that as a huge issue though even if I disagree with them and I think it is unfair to paint the whole fandom in a negative way because of what some might do. 

Again, you missed the point. It's not the actions that a "few" people have done. This fandom as a whole. Has lost the ability to appreciate honesty at it's core. And would rather trade it in for a "you tried" ribbon or a "Everyone is a winner" mind set. There's a reason why AJ is background pony in most peoples eyes, because they'd much rather leave honesty to rot and have a good time than to allow someone express themselves.

This thread has been locked for two reasons. One is this topic already came up and quickly wore out its welcome. The other is that the topic itself is disjointed, and seems to have two avenues of discussion, one about the comics and video by AnimatedJames, the second being of a more personal nature, and makes the entire thing confusing.

That said, everyone wants to be a unique and beautiful snowflake within the fandom, and it's understandable. It's also understandable that that mindset starts to get old. At the same time, calling something honest when you're really just being a jerk doesn't do much good either. There's a balance to all of life's aspects, and that needs to be applied universally.

• Brohoof 8