Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Who here is a HUGE Sonic fan?

ashes

I've been a fan of Sonic for many, many years. I've enjoyed every Sonic experience I've been given on some level.

I started with the comics. The games existed but I never had a Sega system so never got to play them until years later. Memories of the SatAM cartoon airing on TV way back kept me wanting to find that cartoon.

Lo and behold I did finally find it in DVD form.

I've played a majority of the main games, many of the side games, and I'm sad that the game based on the comics never got around to being made.

I have a bunch of posters in my room from one of the special issues of the comic a few years back and a Knuckles plushie. I had a few shirts but they seem to have gone missing. I also have a set of Sonic toys from Toys'R'Us.

I haven't been able to keep up with Sonic much since the last few games have been on Wii-U. I don't have that console yet. I'll get back on the scene soon enough.

I've also read some Sonic fan comics. More often than not I forget these comics aren't legit Sonic material because they're so darn good.

<.< >.> I could go into great detail on all the ways I love the Sonic franchise but I'd best reign it in for now. Don't wanna show my hand just yet.

• Brohoof 2

Oh absolutely. Most people take a dump on the story and gameplay of the 3D games, but you know what? Sonic Adventure 2 was the first game I played with a story that had actual stakes. Before that it was Banjo Kazooie. High on charm and creativity for sure, but SA2 had a revenge seeking bio-weapon, a case of mistaken identity, dual story paths, AND BLOWING HALF THE MOON OFF AS A WARNING SHOT!

Ever since then I've been a devoted follower of Sonic and pals. The man himself becoming an early role model. No pretentions, no grudges, no high minded moralizing (admittedly I kind of skipped that part), but when evil is a foot, he always comes swooping right in not even expecting a thank you.

• Brohoof 2

Oh absolutely. Most people take a dump on the story and gameplay of the 3D games, but you know what? Sonic Adventure 2 was the first game I played with a story that had actual stakes. Before that it was Banjo Kazooie. High on charm and creativity for sure, but SA2 had a revenge seeking bio-weapon, a case of mistaken identity, dual story paths, AND BLOWING HALF THE MOON OFF AS A WARNING SHOT!

Ever since then I've been a devoted follower of Sonic and pals. The man himself becoming an early role model. No pretentions, no grudges, no high minded moralizing (admittedly I kind of skipped that part), but when evil is a foot, he always comes swooping right in not even expecting a thank you.

:D It would seem we've found a new way to bond.

Adventure 2 was my first real Sonic game. Any others I had mostly seen in passing. It was a great entry into the game series. Because of it I've always been a fan of the more brooding Sonic games than the colorful, whimsical ones.

• Brohoof 2

:D It would seem we've found a new way to bond.

Adventure 2 was my first real Sonic game. Any others I had mostly seen in passing. It was a great entry into the game series. Because of it I've always been a fan of the more brooding Sonic games than the colorful, whimsical ones.

Ehhh actually I would disagree there. I mean I wouldn't call SA2 "brooding" and that colorful whimsical aesthetic is what MADE the Sonic franchise to begin with. I'm one of the people that liked Shadow the Hedgehog, but here's the thing, I liked it because it was different than a traditional Sonic game, not because it was the direction I wanted the franchise to take.

Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, those are the games that I feel approximate a better idea of what the franchise actually is. I mean, I like the dark stuff too, but you have to balance it, especially when you have a premise like the Sonic games. Introduce all the dark gods, legitimately insane scientists, and apocalyptic futures all you want, but you have to at one point or another acknowledge that your game is about a talking, super fast marsupial.

Edited by Steel Accord

Ehhh actually I would disagree there. I mean I wouldn't call SA2 "brooding" and that colorful whimsical aesthetic is what MADE the Sonic franchise to begin with. I'm one of the people that liked Shadow the Hedgehog, but here's the thing, I liked it because it was different than a traditional Sonic game, not because it was the direction I wanted the franchise to take.

Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, those are the games that I feel approximate a better idea of what the franchise actually is. I mean, I like the dark stuff too, but you have to balance it, especially when you have a premise like the Sonic games. Introduce all the dark gods, legitimately insane scientists, and apocalyptic futures all you want, but you have to at one point or another acknowledge that your game is about a talking, super fast marsupial.

I certainly enjoy the more lighthearted games in the series but they never seem to have as much impact as games like Adventure 2 and 06. I've never been able to understand why people can't take something serious that's trying to be serious because it's not a totally realistic setting.

I certainly enjoy the more lighthearted games in the series but they never seem to have as much impact as games like Adventure 2 and 06. I've never been able to understand why people can't take something serious that's trying to be serious because it's not a totally realistic setting.

No you misunderstand me. Of course not everything has to be ultra-realistic, I get invested in Power Rangers and My Little Pony for Christ's sake! There is HUGE difference though between "serious" and "dark."

"Serious" is when the stakes have been raised, the time has come to knuckle down and address the conflict. That's the climax of stories as diverse as family comedies to space operas. "Dark" is when elements are made more negative, usually to their detriment as they are trying to slap on the darker aspects of reality to characters and situations they weren't meant for.

I can take a Sonic game seriously, but I don't require the world blowing up, guns, or space colonies to do so because I can tell when things have gotten serious even in Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Riders, or Sonic Lost World. Need we forget, SA2 also had Pumpkin Hill, the driving sequences, and Chao world. The game wasn't exactly Watership Down in terms of dark tone.

Yessss. I absolutely love Sonic. I grew up watching the anime, and that was what actually got me into the games/comics. Then I watched the three 90's Sonic cartoons (Sonic SatAM was the only one I really liked. Sonic Underground was okay, it was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog I couldn't stand).

I've read the comics online, but I probably missed a few. I feel a little bothered to admit that I never played the original Sonic the Hedgehog until last year (on 3DS). My first game was Sonic Heroes.

I'm not active in the StH fandom anymore, but I can at least still go back and listen to the music, play the games, read the comics, and watch the shows (Sonic Boom for right now. That show is a lot better than I thought it would be). Now, I'm not a master or anything (there are still a lot of games I haven't played), but I am a complete Sonic fan.

• Brohoof 1

Wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I do like their series. I love most of their handheld efforts, with the exception of Sonic Chronicles(never played) and Sonic Boom 3DS(bleh). I liked most of their main games up to Adventure 2, Heroes was alright but most games after ranged from bad to outright unplayable. Then Colors, Generations and Lost World came and everything was dandy again. Then Boom Rise of Lyric happened and we're back to square 1

Favorite character is Knuckles, though I have a soft spot for Blaze

Edited by Gattai

@

As this is dealing with a video game subject it has been moved to Media Discussion with the appropriate tag.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 1

I used to be a big Sonic fan.

I started drifting from it around the time Shadow's game came out.

But I credit the characters for helping me actively learn to draw well. So I'll always love them for that.

Also Shadow gets credit for the screen name I use all over the Internet.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't call me "huge", but back in the 90'I have played all the 3 classic games on Sega Genesis a lot. Since didn't own a console after the original Playstation, I didn't play any of the modern games when they came out. Last year I have played on PC both Adventure titles and Generations, though I still have to beat the last one :P

Back in the 90's I have also watched both classic cartoons, and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was my favorite, which is curious since most people usually prefer the Saturday Morning one :D. Back then, I have also read a couple of issues of the comics by Archie, which I enjoyed.

I have started reading again the Archie comics a little over two years ago, and currently it is the only Sonic media I consistently follow. It has my favorite portrayal of the characters, head writer Ian Flynn is a big Sonic fan since the earliest days of the franchise and he is great with capturing the essence of the characters and merging the game "lore" (or lack thereof) into a consistent and compelling narrative :)

I adore Sonic!!!

And I know not everyone agrees with, but I prefer the 3D games over the 2D games. The originals are great, but I prefer the gameplay of the newer Sonic games. It's generally faster and more exciting and I actually like how they spice up the gameplay between installments by adding things like a werehog stage. Sure, they weren't the best stages, but they were actually kinda fun. Besides, everything gets boring if you don't mix it up every once in a while. Sure, they don't always succeed in trying something new (*cough*sonic boom*cough*) but at least they try :P

• Brohoof 1

Used to be a big sonic fan back when I was in school. One of the first fandoms I remember being a part of. :dash: Sadly all that started to go away once the PS2 era came to an end and Sonic kept sliding down into a never-ending pit of mediocrity at best. Sonic '06 pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the series, especially since I had hyped myself up so much for the game. Haven't really gotten excited for a new Sonic game since, though I still occasionally pick them up. Generations gave me a brief reminder of what made the series so awesome for me, and I still think it a great game overall. :)

Sonic SAT-AM was amazing, and one of the core cartoons of my childhood. That's something I will always have fond memories of! :D (Except for the completely anti-climax ending, darn cancellations... >_>) I also loved Jaleel White as Sonic. :P

I think Sonic will always hold a place in my heart though, regardless of what his image may be now, some good times spent with that spiky blue critter. ^_^

• Brohoof 2