S05:E15 - Rarity Investigates  

206 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!

And the culprit "whatever his name was" just didn't wanted or was too shy to speak his feelings... So sad, so cute....

I really would not be surprised if this was legitimately the reason.

• Brohoof 1

I'd definitely make me feel more sorry for him ^_^

Not for me. Ruining an entire show and potentially the career of another pony just for a bit of time, that's not right.

• 2 weeks later...

As a noir fan, this episode pleased me in so many ways. I loved the fact that they started at the Boutique again for a touch of continuity and the fact that they parodied several Noir staples made me laugh. This episode was even better than last week's!

I did however have one problem with it. Well...two actually, since I find it hard to believe that everyone could suspect Rainbow Dash so quickly. But that was crucial to the episode so I'll give it a pass. What I didn't like is the fact that Windrider was about as obvious as a neon hammer to the skull as the culprit from the get-go,  which kinda made all this build-up rather pointless in the long-run. I would have preferred it if it had been anyone except for Windrider (for a moment I even suspect Spitfire's mom after tha bakery claimed that a mare picked up the cake and then she tried to not only frame Dash, but Windrider as well!. Wouldn't that have been awesome?! 

Don't know how you would mistake a stallion for a mare, but whatever. 

I think he was cross-dressing. He wore a mare's hat & coat and his face was covered up by the scarf. His voice is pretty raspy and he probably taked in a higher octave when ordering the cake.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Considering I loved the game LA Noire, this episode made my day!

What Rainbow Dash was facing, was really stressful for me, I mean; HER? Getting kicked out of the Wonderbolts? No way!

Also most of the black-and-white moments made me go... MYCARUBA

That Wind Rider was a dirty cheater, he may look cool, but in the end, he turns out to be the back stabber.

Rarity was a pretty good sleuth, she should moonlight as a detective alongside her boutique job!

10/10

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rarity's pretty damn good but I felt this characterization was supposed to be in more line with Twilight. 

...ehem minus the way Rarity interrogated, that's more in Rarity's line of work....

1280x720-tWY.jpg

That Discovery Family logo is a nice touch.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wait..... This is 1 extra episode (as it's a repeat of the Pinkie Pie one), so 15 + 1 = 16, 16 * 5 = 80, 80 * 16 = 1280, 180 - 80 = 1200 , 1 + 2 + 0 + 0 = 3, there are 3 sides on a triangle.

RARITY IS IN THE ILLUMINATI!!

Edited by DerpyFIM4

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the episode again tonight. It's rapidly becoming one of my all time favorites due to my love of film noir and detective novels. I would love to see Rarity solve more cases! Oh, and I just love how Cinnamon Chai says "Hello, how can I help you?" when she first appears on screen. I loved her voice and dialect!

Check out Holmes and Watson taking a short tea break in the background!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZbF6-TRM6g

Rarity looks smashing in this scene! To quote Sweetie Belle..."I really like her mane!"
post-375-0-28798500-1456719782_thumb.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Check out Holmes and Watson taking a short tea break in the background!

I have never seen that version of Sherlock Holmes.  Is there any significance to the Cutie Marks that they have?

Rarity looks smashing in this scene! To quote Sweetie Belle..."I really like her mane!" 

I agree.

• Brohoof 1

I have never seen that version of Sherlock Holmes.  Is there any significance to the Cutie Marks that they have?

I agree.

In the original stories, Holmes eventually retired and tended/studied bees. Watson, and it was only mentioned once, kept a bull-pup as he called it. He was giving Holmes a truthful list of what might make him a disagreeable room-mate when they first decided to throw in together and move into the fabled 221B Baker-street apartment. I assume he meant he had a bull dog, but aside from that one mention, it was never brought up again.

As for Rarity's mane. I think that picture gives her such a nice 1940's-50's look! I really was serious. People talk of G5. I want it aimed at an older audience, with Rarity as a fashionista by day, and hard boiled detective at night. That would be truly awesome! In my inner ranking of Ponies, Rarity shot right up when I found out she was a gifted sluth!  

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

An absolute delight. I was so amused by the lively dialogue and wrapped up in Rarity's detective role, it didn't even occur to me that there was only one reasonable culprit. I was thrown off by all the evidence that seemingly pointed to Dash; I knew it wouldn't be her, but I just went along for the ride and waited for Rares to piece it all together. I was actually surprised by the ending--not because Wind Rider was the perpetrator, but because he did it all so deliberately and showed so little remorse. I guess he didn't have somepony like Spitfire as an instructor back in his day...or he just couldn't let go of the past.

Sometimes the Rarity episodes not centered on fashion are her most entertaining. This was definitely the case with A Dog and Pony Show and I can put this one in that category as well. I loved every second of it, especially the film noir bits and Rarity accidentally narrating out loud (possibly a callback to a classic Saturday Night Live bit, "Death Be Not Deadly"--find it on Netflix NOW). Twenty-some minutes wasn't enough for the show to dive into a really deep and satisfying mystery; we needed at least a two-parter for that. I'm a huge fan of mystery shows, especially Murder She Wrote, and while this wasn't the equal of that show it was pretty darn good for a kids' program. Great stuff and I really hope we see Detective Rarity again.  :D

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

People think the Wonderbolts automatically blaming Dash is a sign that they're a bunch of jerks. However, think about this: Wind Rider. a legendary retired Wonderbolt, was the first to accuse her. It was HIS word against hers. To put it in terms of real life, it would be like a private accusing a Sergeant or Corporal of abusing rank without proof. Who would you listen to in that case, the kid or the senior officers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really enjoyed this episode! I loved the theme, and whilst I sort of saw the ending coming, I liked the plot. :squee: And it was cool to see an episode centered around Rainbow Dash and Rarity.

• 2 months later...

I don't think enough people consider enough just how much this episode emphasizes what Rainbow Dash and Rarity have in common. These are two ponies with lofty dreams, and Rarity very recently had her own dreams put at risk, just like Rainbow's are at risk here. Setting this before Rarity leaves Canterlot really puts that in focus: Rarity can relate to Dash's dreams, and this makes her even more dedicated to protecting Dash's career. They're opposite ponies, but at least with regards to ambition, they're the only ponies in their friend circle who can relate to that aspect of each other. More of these two together, please!

Also they totally went on a dinner date.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rarity + Rainbow Dash = best duo. More of this please; they have a surprising amount in common for such different ponies. They're the only members of their friend group with such lofty career aspirations, giving them something unique to bond over, and I think that's part of why Rarity was so immediately sympathetic to Rainbow Dash. I'm not sure anyone else would be quite so passionate about this. I also love how this ties directly into the previous episode, and how it reflects two character arcs at once because of that. Also, this episode made me ship RariDash, so more material for that, please? 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

One of my top comfort food episodes. Not a single joke which leaves me cold in the entire episode, and the Rarity/Rainbow Dash dynamic delights me to no end. Here we see Rainbow at her most humble, comfortable with her place on the sidelines but excited when she's in the main lineup. I like how, when informed that Spitfire is occupied and can't fly, her first thought is not to be excited at taking her place, but concern over her mom's health. The conclusion, where she criticizes herself for not trusting Rarity, is the kind of self-reflection which the show has gotten a lot better at having her do, even in episodes like "28 Pranks Later" where she feels like she's taken a step down in thoughtfulness.

Rarity, meanwhile, is wonderfully dorky here, effectively cosplaying as a character from a book she likes and attempting to emulate her in order to help her friend. I especially enjoy how much respect she clearly has for Rainbow Dash here, and it makes sense: as far as having lofty ambitions goes, there's nobody who Rarity can relate to more than Rainbow. Any of Rainbow's friends would set out to defend her standing in the Wonderbolts, but Rarity's recent experiences with the Canterlot Carousel give her a very personal point of reference with regards to dreams being put in danger. I'm not even sure that the episode intended that much depth in there, but these are two of the most deceptively deep characters in the entire show, so putting them together would inevitably generate some nuance. Having Rarity in the boutique is probably just an excuse to have her in that place at that time, but it also serves as a reminder of the last time we saw her there, which then begs comparison to the pickle that Rainbow finds herself in. Also, I never thought I'd see Sassy Saddles again, and I'm glad to have the best new character of season 5 have another go, and furthermore it's just so sweet that these two characters with such different personalities get along so well. 

Anyway, the outline of the plot hardly matters. Of course Wind Rider did it; it's as obvious to Rarity as it is to us. The point is in the process, and again, every joke lands. This consistent humour is why I find this episode so easy to rewatch over and over and over again, and between the consistently inventive scenarios and the lovely Rarity/Rainbow dynamic, I never get sick of it. More episodes which pair these two up, please. Such an underrated dynamic. This realization that the plot doesn't matter makes me more comfortable with appreciating all of the clever scenes on display, and how cleanly it all ties together. The evidence makes sense, and Wind Rider finally giving up when revealed is great too. But it's the sheer inventiveness on display here which I find most exciting, and the final dialogue between Rarity and Rainbow is just so sweet. If not one of the show's most obviously great morals, then it's still worthwhile and well-delivered. And also, when Rainbow comes back with Spitfire, just at the right time? Wonderful. She doesn't hesitate, and she exerts herself. Such a great character. 

Shoutout to Rainbow calling Rarity "Rare," too. Combine that with Rarity calling RD "Dashie" in season 6, and boom, they even have pet names for each other. Phenomenal. 

Score:

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 10/10

Themes: 9/10

Story: 8/10

Overall: 93/100

I actually like this better than some episodes I'd rate higher, just because it's such a delight to watch. One of my favourites. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 2