S05:E15 - Rarity Investigates  

206 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!

I don't think we appreciate enough what Rainbow Dash has done here. As of this episode, she has dishonored/bettered somebody on every single level of the Wonderbolts organization. First, Lightning Dust, the young trainee looking to join the team. Then Spitfire, the esteemed captain of the Bolts. And now Wind Rider, the retired and famous living legend. All in all a veritable hat-trick of disgrace. She has defeated them for all time. They will never rise from the ashes of their shame and humiliation.

• Brohoof 7

I don't think we appreciate enough what Rainbow Dash has done here. As of this episode, she has dishonored/bettered somebody on every single level of the Wonderbolts organization. First, Lightning Dust, the young trainee looking to join the team. Then Spitfire, the esteemed captain of the Bolts. And now Wind Rider, the retired and famous living legend. All in all a veritable hat-trick of disgrace. She has defeated them for all time. They will never rise from the ashes of their shame and humiliation.

174.jpg

We need a Rainbow Dash version of this

• Brohoof 3

I'd say this is one of the better episodes.

I wish the staff could have had more forethought and mentioned Wind Rider in earlier episodes.

​Rainbow Dash fangirls over him and she ​never mentioned him to her friends even once? That's not very believable.

His is a ruggedly handsome stallion. Maybe Rainbow really FANGIRLS over him, and is a bit embarrassed to admit her crush on a much older pony. Let's not forget. Twilight never mentioned her BBBFF until she found out he was getting married.

Pretty serviceable episode. There's a nice message about how your idols may have a dark side, and really a good message is the best I can expect out of this show, rather than a "Pinkie Pride" or "Hurricane Fluttershy" every week.

I'm not going to go into how the mystery was predictable, but rather I would have seen the film noir references coming from 3000 miles away. On the other hand, most of the show's younger audience has probably never seen film noir references before. For me personally, Between the Lions was the first show I remember seeing as a kid that had film noir references. With MLP's cultural awareness now well-documented, the mere presence of a cultural reference in a show belonging to the My Little Pony franchise no longer holds a luster in itself. It was fun for a while, but it really began to get old as time went on, especially considering this show has already done a detective-themed episode ("MMMystery on the Friendship Express").

On top of that, we finally got a Rarity/Rainbow Dash episode, and the way these characters work together without absolutely hating each other speaks to their potential, as to why the fandom wanted such an episode for so long.

How many times does this count for Rainbow Dash exposing dishonor within the ranks of the Wonderbolts?

10 hours of shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZh605QxOvM

• Brohoof 2

I don't think we appreciate enough what Rainbow Dash has done here. As of this episode, she has dishonored/bettered somebody on every single level of the Wonderbolts organization.

No only did she shame him, she flew in his place in the airshow - an actual everypony-is-watching Wonderbolts airshow - something she has dreamed about since she was a filly. She even got to be the center of the starburst! It's almost like she's a captain-by-proxy of the Wonderbolts at this point!

• Brohoof 3

I tire of these Rainbow Dash morally correcting the Wonderbolts episodes.

It should have been Lightning Dust doing it as revenge.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

I really liked this episode.  I am a fan of Raridash and it was nice to see them interacting this way.  I also like the mystery/noir vibe and the general atmosphere of the episode.

All in all, it was really fun and entertaining, albeit predictable. 

--snip--

Twilight never mentioned her BBBFF until she found out he was getting married.

​I'd chalk that up to poor planning too.

​Oh well. I still think that A Canterlot Wedding and this episode are both pretty good episodes in spite of this fault.

• Brohoof 1

For a time, this episode seemed like it was going to be a clone of Mystery on the MMMM Express.  But Rarity as the lead investigator does enough to keep the investigative sequence fresh and original.  I love how both Pinkie and Rarity are both prone to distraction, of different kinds.  But they always right themselves and get back on track.  :) 

Exactly.  The Wonderbolts is rife with a culture of corruption.  The thing that got my goat about this episode wasn't that they wouldn't let her fly if she couldn't prove her innocence in time.  Unless I misheard, they were going to expel her if she didn't prove her innocence in time.  Guilty until proven innocent, eh? 

• Brohoof 5

Exactly.  The Wonderbolts is rife with a culture of corruption.  The thing that got my goat about this episode wasn't that they wouldn't let her fly if she couldn't prove her innocence in time.  Unless I misheard, they were going to expel her if she didn't prove her innocence in time.  Guilty until proven innocent, eh? 

It makes sense because there really hasn't been any sign of a judiciary system in the show. At the top the Princesses can pass judgement and punish the offender without trial. Wonderbolt Academy, we see Spitfire takes Rainbow Dash at her word and punishes Lightning Dust without any form of investigation into the matter.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

LOVED IT! I loved the entire Noir thing throughout the episode. 

I would love to join rarity the next time she goes through one of those because the whole noir thing is really cool. 

• Brohoof 1

I also have to entertain the possibility that, instead of a new (assuming to be one-off) character betraying Wonderbolt values, they could have used an established character like Commander Easyglider (with whom I initially confused Wind Rider with due to his clothing style). It really would have stung a lot harder to use a "living legend" whose name was actually established. In truth, it's a minor indulgence to think of this on the overall merits of the episode, but it is an interesting thought that was left on the table.

Overall a very entertaining episode. First of all, it highlights a skill of Raritys that I really like and is often not utilized, and that's her eye for detail. Really I don't think it's been used much since she helped Granny Smith with quality control against the Flim Flam bros. but it is something crucial to her character as it highlights her intelligence. Really cool to see it shown off here.

There were a lot of moments that really made me smile here like rainbows little dances in the air, rarity saying to Soarin to just "let her have this", all the film noir references, a lot of it was really fun.

But I think structurally something was off. It felt like it took too long to set up the mystery, and the mystery itself suffered as a result. The delivery pony scene was extraneous, as I don't think that Raritys skill at charming guys is something that needed to be reinforced here. I would have taken that screen time to introduce a possible red herring. Or maybe make Wind Rider the red herring and add a new villain. Either way the mystery suffered as a result. Though I do like that they played fair by the audience- every single clue that Rarity picked up on is something that could be noticed by an attentive viewer.

Over all a very entertaining episode that's great for rarity lovers like myself, but looking at the episode more analytically i do see problems.

Best episode ever! Well, actually that's still the Cutie Map episode, but this one was amazing too. It had Rarity, mystery, humor, cool dresses, great moral, more Rarity, Rarity interacting with Rainbow, Rarity, Rarity......

Ignoring the premieres and finales, this is now my favorite episode of the whole show. Please Hasbro, when MLP is over you have to make a Detective Rarity spin-off. That would be awesome!

If it's a number out of 10 am I only allowed to give it a 10 or less? :confused: Screw that! I give it a 15/10  :please:

Did you noticed the Sherlock cameo in this episode? I like the series, glad they did that. I guess it make kinda a crossover between sherlock and doctor who since they areboth present in the same universe. There is Sherlock, John and moriarty(I think) too!

Did you noticed the Sherlock cameo in this episode? I like the series, glad they did that. I guess it make kinda a crossover between sherlock and doctor who since they areboth present in the same universe. There is Sherlock, John and moriarty(I think) too!

post-25840-0-45909200-1444150190_thumb.png

post-25840-0-73192500-1444150193_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Dashie :( I had a feeling that it was him right from the start because he also would have had a motive to protect his record so that Rainbow dash couldn't break it and that was indeed the case.

at first it looked like Rarity was doing her usual antics of admiring stuff for inspiration but she knew what she was doing :lol:

This was a good episode imo but kinda predictable on who the culprit was that framed Rainbow

• 2 weeks later...