• Hated it
    • Disliked it
    • It was okay
    • Liked it
    • Loved it

Title: 2,4,6, Greaaat

Air Date: August 10, 2019

Written by: Kaita Mpambara

Synopsis: “Rainbow Dash is shocked to learn she isn’t coaching for the School of Friendship’s new buckball team.”

34b.gif

Watch live and chat with us at the CMC Clubhouse!

• Brohoof 4

• The topic was featured
5 hours ago, Flutterstep said:

I don’t know anything about this episode.

I’m just here to question that horrible title. :yuck:

I thought the title was an awesome play on words of the cheer "2, 4, 6, 8 Who do we appreciate?"

• Brohoof 5

Episode 15 with Rainbow Dash is definitely weakest of S9 (so far). Still to me, what keeps it from being completely awful and forgettable is when Rainbow swallows her lack of interest and actually gives it a try in coaching cheerleaders. And even though Ponyville lost, the fact that Rainbow was proud of the cheerleading squad does show she's capable of trying a new thing to make 20% cooler

• Brohoof 5

15 hours ago, Will Guide said:

I thought the title was an awesome play on words of the cheer "2, 4, 6, 8 Who do we appreciate?"

Ohhhh, that's what it references. I thought it was more or less a sequel title to "Testing 1,2,3" ^_^ 

Anyway, I liked this episode. I liked the two lead dancers, as well as Yona's role in the cheerleading. Was looking forward to the final product, and wasn't disappointed.

• Brohoof 1

Good job, Princess of Friendship! You just made your friend do something she didn't wanna do at the School of Friendship! Yes, that's a great idea! I should make my friends do stuff they don't wanna do, and give them a lesson about it! I definitely won't be punched in the face! :D

Yeah this was definitely Flare's least favorite episode of the season. It had its moments: Snips and Snails, Celestia's voice, the cheerleaders... but that's about it. Even if Rainbow did feel in-character, the execution felt really dull.

Do we really wanna see an episode about a character being bored the whole time? We can see that in real life!

Can't believe though that we had a second buckball episode in the season instead of a Wonderbolt episode. Buckball is really not interesting at all to me. This episode probably woulda been better in season 8, and this episode spot coulda been The Washouts!

• Brohoof 7

8 minutes ago, ChB said:

I thought it was more a less a sequel title to "Testing 1,2,3" ^_^

I wish this episode was a sequel to "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3".

I probably would have enjoyed it if it was. :sunny:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Booker said:

Yeah, that was disappointing. I wish Rainbow's last episode as the main character was actually a good one. 

Spoiler

There’s supposed to be a Daring Do Episode with her and Fluttershy. Honestly, she’s really lucky that’s the case because giving her an episode absolutely no one wants here sounds like such an unbelievably bad joke that I honestly considered ditching the show here and not even bothering with the finale 

• Brohoof 2

MLP 2, 4, 6 Great!

SPOILER ALERT! So NOT one of my favorite episodes. I liked the characters that made up the cheer squad and loved the adorable cheer routine like the music and performance. I loved seeing how the non pony students fully participated and how they used their abilities like Smolder’s fire. Smolder’s speech to Rainbow Dash was fantastic as was the general moral. It was so nice to see the media depict cheerleading in a positive light for once instead of a group of vengeful mean girls, as is usually depicted. Cheerleading is actually quite hazardous in real life(I’v seen stories of women with TBI from cheerleading stunt accidents) so they should be given proper credit for their physical ability and hard work in media. I liked how cheerleading made a positive message for friendship here. I also liked how Celestia made it so her unicorn students could play with a magic stopping ring and the magic butterfly wings like Rarity used in “Sonic Rainboom”. They should have had a gag where Rarity experiences PTSD from seeing that. What annoys me in this episode is Rainbow Dash’s and Twilight’s behavior. I’m annoyed with Rainbow Dash for being a lazy uninterested, insensitive jerk, and I’m annoyed at Twilight for not listening when Rainbow told her a bunch of times that she didn’t even know what the heck cheerleading was. Twilight disrespected Rainbow’s asserting she had no experience in couching cheerleading and seemly completely manipulated Rainbow Dash for no reason. If Rainbow Dash needed to learn a lesson the writers should have had her know what cheerleading was but have her say something mean that Twilight tries to correct her on, or something, or let Rainbow Dash learn to care about her friends interests in a way that makes her seem less lazy and puts her in a way better light(like when I learned to respect my friend’s hindu faith because hinduism matter to them regardless of whether I relate to it or not) . If Twilight was smart she would have put Pinkie Pie who did cheers in previous episodes like “Rainbow Falls” in charge of the squad and Rainbow Dash in charge of couching the ball team because then the students would have had enthusiasm on steroids in Pinkie and Rainbow Dash would have given the buck ball team a better shot at winning. This episode should have easily been part of season 8 instead of the final season. For a final season of a show it feels like padding and a waste and is maybe a sign some of the staff are running out of steam on ideas.

• Brohoof 2

This is Rainbow Dash’s Honest Apple. A pony who has a narrow, stereotypical perspective of cheerleading belittling those who were looking forward to making it good. The students wanted Dash, a TEACHER, to teach them how to cheerlead. Instead, like AJ with fashion, she almost singlehandedly ruined the event by viewing cheerleading and those who do it as inferior to her. Like NCC last season, she justifies Neighsay’s blasting of the teachers as unqualified. Until she wisened up, made up, and worked tirelessly with the students, she was getting close to that of 28PL, Mare Do Well, Rainbow Fails, and NCC as among the worst characterization of RD of the show.

• Brohoof 9

The episode felt kind of weak. First, we learned that Celestia's school for magical unicorns got their own team of buckball. How does that's work? No pegasi, no earth ponies on the team. Please show us. Instead, we start off with P. Celestia being a guest at school of friendship.

Buckball is Quidditch now I guess because it's the only sport that we know of is played by the ponies at the school level.

Then RD is asked to coach the cheerleading squad, and surprise surprise, she hates it. Almost half of the episode is wasted on the conflict that I didn't care about, and it could have been avoided if Rainbow did her best from the start.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

Didn’t go into this one believing I’d take much home from it, then right out of the gate, they described Princess Celestia as a jock with wavy hair. And then later, we find that she yells like Bulk Biceps. My life is now complete. This was better than I anticipated. I know not everyone likes it when Rainbow Dash is a jerk, but I do. It’s amusing to me, especially when I can get behind her frustration. Seriously, who does care about cheerleading? Snails, just like in the sub-prequel to this episode, is at his most likable here, and this episode’s only letdown to me is how short-lived his screen time is. That, and the lack of resolution to Snips’ plot. Loved the reveal at the ending though, how we find out that Twilight has been taught all too well by her faithful teacher. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

While this wasn't one of the season's best, I did like it a bit more than I thought I was going to.  But that's mostly due to the episode picking up steam near the end when Rainbow Dash finally got her act together and was a proper coach.  If there was more of that, then I feel like I would have liked the episode more.  I did get a kick out of the ending with Rainbow asking Twilight if this was all to teach her a lesson, that was pretty funny.  I also really liked seeing Celestia being a passionate sports fan, and I found the actual cheer to be pretty entertaining. Outside of that, I don't really have a lot more to say about the episode.

• Brohoof 1

It's totes fine to force your friends to do stuff they don't like as long as you believe it's the right thing to do. Twilight didn't act like RD's friend but as her ignorant mother. Who's writing these shitty RD episodes? Hive mind aliens?

This episode is hot trash, easily the worst of season 9 

Apparently someone didn't inform this new writer that it's not season 2 and Rainbow Dash has actually matured. The way she acted in this episode reminded me of The Mysterious Mare Do Well. 

I have an infinitely better idea for a way this episode could have played out and kept Rainbow Dash IN CHARACTER. 

Rainbow is told by Twilight that she needs to coach the cheer squad, Rainbow Dash is disappointed but still gives it a try. She tries coaching them in one way, but it doesn't work. Then maybe act 2 she tries a few other teaching methods but those fail. Then she admits that she's not too interested in cheerleading and says she doesn't really know how to coach them, maybe she ends up asking the students for some pointers or something. After she sees what they have she kind of builds off of that and starts teaching them from there. That could lead to a real neat moral of sometimes the students can teach the teachers or something.

IDK even if you don't like my idea I don't think it would be egotistical of me to say it would have been better than the shit we got. 

RD was just acting like a dismissive B**** for no reason in this episode, completely out of character. I think even diehards would have trouble defending the beginning of act 3 where, Imma be real, Rainbow Dash would never say that kind of shit! The beginning of act 3 is borderline character assassination for RD!

after that, the episode tries to bring RD back with "Oh I did a bad thing, sorry" 

NO, what RD did at the beginning of act 3 was inexcusable, you can't fix that

I hate it 3.3/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 2

Now I see why a lot of people didn't like this episode. After watching it for myself, I'd say it was pretty unmemorable to the point where I'm likely to forget what even happened. It's not terrible but it just can't compete with the more iconic and even middle of the group episodes.

• Brohoof 1