Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E12 - The Last Crusade

Lucky Bolt
Message added by Jeric

IMPORTANT: Will the recent confirmation from show staff regarding receiving Hasbro approval for characters who will be appearing in this show, I would like to remind people to keep it civil, and be mindful of the other individuals on the other end of the screen. 

Oh, and there will be spoilers in this thread. Be warned. 

The Last Crusade  

91 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think!

• Scootaloo gag face - Hated it!
    • "Squawk! Look—I'm a chicken!" - Not a fan
    • "I am not a chicken, and episode was okay I guess." - Okay
    • 'Get Your Pony On'! - Liked it
    • "Crikey! Bloody good time mate!" - Loved it
  2. 2. Favorite Elements

• Characters
    • Continuity
    • Acting
    • Story
    • Humor
    • Animation
    • Moral

Every story in this show always had a happy ending, so it'll be interesting to have a really sad twist.

Spoiler

Leaving friends is something kids have to do, so the CMC breaking apart rather than remaining together could be very relatable to many children, and having an episode focused on that can make them feel better.

There are many kids cartoon shows that literally end on a sad and regretful note, and that is what makes it memorable. I'm not saying MLP should end that way, but having a single episode and subplot end that way could be very interesting.

Edited by Egg-3

• 3 weeks later...

I had a good feeling about this episode... Until I heard suddenly, TOTALLY out of the blue, Scootaloo DOES have parents. Well, I'll say right now, I'm not glad.

This episode for me is kind of mixed, but I do lean a little towards the negative.

Good:

I really enjoyed Scootaloo's aunts, and I honestly wish they were put in the show sooner. :) I approve of this representation.

It's a serviceable wrap-up to the CMC's story arc... Though I don't really like most CMC episodes anyways, so it's not like I care all that much.

The moral was... alright I guess. It's not nearly on the level of Dragonshy's from the first season, but it's much closer to that than it is to Going to Seed's terrible one.

Bad:

Scootaloo's parents just coming out of the blue was not only an unpleasant surprise, it just happens to be my biggest problem with this episode. I would much better have liked it if they weren't around. You know, they were killed off instead. They've been gone for YEARS, and not ONCE did they ever give Scoots any mind. Ugh. "oh we read  all of your letters, but we didn't DARE to actually come back for you for SEVERAL years..." Seriously, they should have just given Scoots to her aunts... :dry:

I didn't like Scootaloo either. I found her kind of annoying here... But I don't like her in general anyways and I'm glad she won't be a main character of an episode from here on.

This episode managed to have little in it, but also feel quite rushed at the same time...?

I'll give this one a 5/10. To be honest, the only thing saving this episode are the lesbian aunts. It's a shame they weren't introduced sooner than the final season of the show... Aside from that, this was just a bad episode... I probably would have given this a 3/10 if Scootaloo's aunts weren't in it.

No doubt the best moment was seeing Scootaloo reunite with her parents. Totally unexpected for me. It was so difficult dodging spoilers though, as there were leaks everywhere on youtube. 

And like others said, I can't believe it took 9 seasons to establish Scootaloo had parents. There has been a lot of art made about Scootaloo being an orphan and now, don't know what's gonna happen with it. 

And way to pull the Steve Irving ref there! Nice little touch. 

Edited by C. Thunder Dash
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I liked the accent of aunt Holiday and the personality of both of Scootalo's aunts but i didn't like her parents nor the body of the episode.

I also noticed that her father has the same body as Big Mac.

Edited by Bastian
  • Brohoof 3

• 6 months later...
(edited)

It was quite sad. I liked the episode though I found her parents annoying I mean they abandoned her and now suddenly they are taking her somewhere like wha (though the animal stuff was really cool). It was kinda emotional and all. Their usual tricks felt a little out of place in the context but wow when they convinced her parents that was a great moment. Her Aunts are cool but I wish they were introduced earlier.

Edited by flurry

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 12:10 PM, Funtime Splashee said:

But it was really the parents that I couldn't digest. I have seen bad parents of all types, but these types that value their own interests/hobbies/ideas over their own kid, to the point where it requires the entire Equestria population (impossible town gathering that took less than a day to pull off) to prove to them that the kid actually has some rights, and they still just find the most convenient choice to make themselves happy in the end. :glimmer: it isn't fair to poor Scootaloo. But as long as she thinks her parents are loving and being fair, the story is somewhat supposed to be okay?

To be fair, it was said that the parents' research had an important impact on science and medicine - that they weren't doing it just for their own enjoyment, but to help all ponykind. And it was kind of interesting that what changed their mind was the fact that Scootaloo herself was also doing work with important benefits to the community, as opposed to just the friendship thing.

Though you are absolutely right in that it was downright unforgivable that they would be almost perfect strangers to her for years, only to suddenly try and drag her away from everything and everyone she's ever known to the ass-end of nowhere. Their claim that they were fearing for her safety doesn't hold that much water when you consider that:

a. She's also in close proximity to the ponies responsible for countering the threats they're afraid of. If said ponies were to lose to whoever/whatever it is, all of Equestria would be boned one way or another, so it wouldn't much matter where Scootaloo is at the time.

b. Their work also brings them up close and personal with dangerous animals on a regular basis.

Let's just hope issue 93 of the comic can fix things.

1 minute ago, HedonismBot said:

To be fair, it was said that the parents' research had an important impact on science and medicine

Yea, maybe.

But is it a good message for a show like MLP to show kids that their parents own priorities are more important than yourself? I cannot get over the fact that it took everypony in Equestria to prove they were doing a wrong thing, and they still left her and did the wrong thing. We are talking the entire Equestria here, agreeing with me on this subject.

I stand by my belief that if you want a kid, you have to be prepared to take care of that kid or kids (you don't get to decide sex, number of children, disorders, etc) for at least 18-20 years, before your own desires and dreams 

14 minutes ago, Funtime Splashee said:

Yea, maybe.

But is it a good message for a show like MLP to show kids that their parents own priorities are more important than yourself?

I suppose you may have a point there.

And even if we're to assume that the parents' jobs are so important as to justify leaving her for so long, the absolute least they could have done was to arrange for her to be looked after by someone who would actually live with her, as opposed to essentially alternating babysitting duties with whatever local adults aren't busy (to their credit, her aunts moved to Ponyville at the end, but still...) .

For what it's worth, it also doesn't help that there was never any evidence of them having taken her to a doctor to see if anything could be done about the whole "can't fly" thing (though I guess that could have happened off camera).

• 4 months later...

What I didn't understand is why did her parents basically abandon Scootaloo for their job? Isn't their child/filly more important than that? I also don't see why Scootaloo's (lesbian?) aunts was controversial, I didn't see and problem with it and it fit well within the story, I quite like her aunts they seem like good ponies. But the CMC showing their unbreakable bond, against her parents unbreakable job was interesting. I had hoped her parents would move in Ponyville so they could spend more time with Scootaloo but they do seem to mean well, but just seem a bit naive as to how their actions may affect Scootaloo.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This was the episode that we get to see Scootaloo's parents for the first time, and.....it was disappointing. In fact, I find this episode overall a disappointment.

Many fans are speculating whatever or not Scootaloo is a orphan or she does have parents. Now, we get to see her parents, and this is what we get? Having her parents tell Scootaloo that they're moving away from Ponyville despite the fact they'd never shown any concern nor care for Scootaloo for the past 9 seasons and only NOW you think what's best for Scootaloo is to come along with your adventure? Why?! That's just so neglectful.

While I'm glad that Scootaloo's aunts was able to take care of Scoots, but personally, I'd much rather had Rainbow Dash's parents step in and adopt Scootaloo and take care of her because it would've been such a powerful moment for Scootaloo in the entire series and have Rainbow Dash be the official sister that Scootaloo wanted. But nope....

Also, seeing the CMCs having a crying pity party is such a pain...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I am a bit confused at the final decision she made, i mean i get her point but if i had to decide, i may choose differently? I dont know, i dont have any friends so what do i now? :laugh:

Anyway, i enjoyed the Episode, it was very emotional.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The episode has broken my Scootaloo headcanon: I thought she had no parents (or aunts) and Rainbow Dash adopted her as a sister. From my point of view, was TOO LATE to introduce Scoot's family.

Edited by Orchid_Fiore

• 5 months later...

this episode was one of my favorites!! I love the fact that they decided to include representation of the LGBTQ using Scoots aunts!! other than that, the parents came in sudden, I was hoping they mentioned them sooner and included them in earlier episodes since it felt a bit rushed. i wish we could’ve seen more of Scoot’s aunts!!!259A896F-C27A-4DA1-A77D-729CB3E878D6.thumb.jpeg.356980bce6699b2ddc3aa39cae8975cf.jpeg

• 1 year later...
Spoiler

F-g14QxXsAA6ssx?format=jpg&name=large

...Were they willing to turn their daughter to stone if she kept being difficult about coming with them?

Why else would you keep an uncovered cockatrice cage right outside your front door, especially right after an episode detailing how dangerous they are?

Hate these parents so much - Holiday, Lofty, and the CMC are Scootaloo's real family

...And Dash, whenever the show remembers she adopted Scootaloo 7 seasons ago