Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E12 - The Last Crusade

Lucky Bolt
Message added by Jeric

IMPORTANT: Will the recent confirmation from show staff regarding receiving Hasbro approval for characters who will be appearing in this show, I would like to remind people to keep it civil, and be mindful of the other individuals on the other end of the screen. 

Oh, and there will be spoilers in this thread. Be warned. 

The Last Crusade  

91 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think!

• Scootaloo gag face - Hated it!
    • "Squawk! Look—I'm a chicken!" - Not a fan
    • "I am not a chicken, and episode was okay I guess." - Okay
    • 'Get Your Pony On'! - Liked it
    • "Crikey! Bloody good time mate!" - Loved it
  2. 2. Favorite Elements

• Characters
    • Continuity
    • Acting
    • Story
    • Humor
    • Animation
    • Moral

Title: The Last Crusade

Air Date: June 15, 2019
Written By: Nicole Dubuc
Synopsis: "Unexpected visitors to Ponyville threaten to break up the Cutie Mark Crusaders forever."

Watch live and chat with us on EquestriaTV in the CMC Clubhouse!

• Brohoof 6

• This topic was featured and pinned

I've been hearing all sorts of things regarding this episode and for the most part, I've avoided spoilers like the plague. Of what spoilers I did stumble upon, my mind doesn't recall much as I was occupied with other stuff at the time. As such, I'm going to wait until the English release before providing my thoughts on it.

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Bas said:

The release I watched was in actual English but no idea where it is coming from. :mlp_confused:

Some guy showed it on their google drive for anyone who uses the url address. That's how I saw it.

Spoiler

And I love the ending scene with appearances of a lot of characters the CMC had encountered throughout the show.

Even if the animators forgot that Babs Seed got her Cutie Mark offscreen, even sent a letter to the CMC with a picture of her new mark, the episode was excellent!

The CMC couldn't get a better final episode!

• Brohoof 4

I liked the episode! I have been harsh on this season so far but this was a great addition! I enjoyed this one. 

I am THRILLED that we finally got to meet Scootaloo’s parents. I, along with the rest of the fandom, have been waiting so long to meet them. This is great.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

The biggest problem with this episode is that the entire conflict is based on something that doesn't end up happening. This means all of the tension and stakes of the story are removed and all that's left are the CMC's plots to keep Scootaloo from leaving and the fact that we see more of Scootaloo's family. Talking about Scootaloo's family, it is cool that we see Scootaloo's parents and aunts, but it doesn't go beyond an initial surprise. Scootaloo's aunts don't have any personality beyond being comforting towards the CMC and Scootaloo's parents don't have any personality beyond being Australian and adventurers. This would be perfectly fine if the episode had other things backing it up, but it doesn't.

The CMC's plots to keep Scootaloo in Ponyville are mostly pretty meh. I like the potion tying their hooves together, but that's barely in the episode. Maybe if that plan was expanded and more of the CMC's plans were like that, this could've been good. Instead, the only other highlight is the scene of the CMC all crying in the treehouse for how melodramatic it is. Though even then, the melodramatic tone is not consistent through the entire episode so I'm not sure if it was intentionally melodramatic or it was just really bad drama.

Also it contradicts Parental Glideance. Scootaloo acted like she didn't have supportive parents in that episode, yet here she's excited about seeing her parents again and not bringing up any problems she has with them. I guess Scootaloo having parents doesn't directly contradict anything, but her being so positive about them definitely does. All this does is make Parental Glideance look even worse and shows sloppiness on the writer of this episode's part. She didn't  have to rewatch every episode of the show, but at least rewatch every episode or look at every script with Scootaloo in a big role to see if you're directly contradicting anything.

Score: 5/10

Edited by bigbertha
  • Brohoof 4

23 hours ago, n1029 said:

The lespony story is making the rounds in national media and it's so funny seeing all the fundies get triggered by it.

Yeah, and it's moments like these that make me hopeful that these kinds of articles won't be a big deal someday, and I mean that positively.

I'm referring to how we seldom get articles about every black or asian character that appears, just because it is that normalized in media now it just took 50+ years, and hopefully LGBTQ+ representation will be too.

I personally don't care about any kind of representation in the fact that it doesn't affect my outlook on the show or character. Just give me the characters however they are and I will judge them on their own merits not society's. So I'm looking foward to how Scootaloo's aunts treat her, and not just how some lesbian characters treat her.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Just imagine the amounts of rage that happens if Twilight is a Lesbian Princess! That would tick off Louis Steffen, who ships Flash Sentry with Twilight as if it's destiny!

Edited by YoshiAngemon
  • Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

Okay! I’m hyped. Also a bit nervous at my own hopes for this episode.

I mean they did bring back the "Indiana Jones" naming conventions so going by the last one, I do expect at least a more serious and lasting impression episode.

Although I think they missed "Temple of Bloom" :catface:

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

Although I think they missed "Temple of Bloom" :catface:

That is Apple Bloom's yoga retreat that I'm "sure" we'll be hearing about in the future. :P

• Brohoof 2

The one thing I didn't understand is why did it take them 9 seasons to show that Scootaloo isn't an orphan?

• Brohoof 6

We have a lot of returning characters I though that were just one offs. Both aunts have pretty unusual designs, holiday has miss cakes design but none of them have the usual mare design. They seem pretty nice and supportive, why did scootaloo say in s7e7 she had no one to encourage her to dash? And finally after 9 seasons we get to meet her parents...

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I really like scootaloos parents designs, her mother has the same design as rolling thunder and filly fluttershy just much taller. So they study rare animals and mystical creatures, its cool, they both are based on real humans, I think Steve Irwin and Crocodile Dundee. Wait, is sri lanka or whatever they called here is further then mount eris and the dragon lands? Is it still part of equestria?

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 3

I thought the everfree forest was supposed to be mysterious with lots of rare creatures, guess not.:confused: Why not study discord, it might take whole lifetime. Maybe its too offensive for him or they only study non speaking creatures?

• Brohoof 4

Okay this was another episode in particular that I was looking forward to.  Due to it its early airing in other countries, I ended up getting a bit spoiled on what happens here.  Or who in particular debuts in this episode.  As a result of this, I was definitely interested in seeing The Last Crusade.

With all of that in mind, I thought that this episode was great.

We finally got to see Scootaloo's parents which is something that we have being dying to know for years now, and they are fun new characters.  We also got to meet her lesbian aunts Holiday and Lofty who are cute, and I am happy to see that FiM has LGBT rep in it.  And I really liked how this episode celebrated the CMC and what they have accomplished over the course of the series. 

• Brohoof 3