Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Teach me how to pony.

MachineGunLola

I recomend drawing from a reference. This signifigantly helped me when I started drawing years back. One you get familiar with the features and anatomy of a pony from a reference, try using a skeleton to get the shapes and figure of the body right if free flow drawing is proving to be difficult. Pencils has put out plenty of great guides dedicated to new pony artists. Asking him may be quite beneficial

Just remember that drawing is a patience artform, and it takes times to master the many different techniques it holds.

Basically, most ponies have the same build. Practice drawing the form and head of a pony, then draw eyes. Practice this multiple times, THEN move ono the mane and tail, etc.

This was how I learned to draw my ponies, but there are various ways.

Use references and guidelines. Start with circles and shapes that vaguely represent a pony(for example, a circle for the head, two ovals for the body, and cylindrical shapes for the legs), then you can start drawing it out.

And also, practice a lot.

I didn't see that last post before I finished...

Edited by Luca

For the fun of it...

Posted Image

I DRAWED A GOOD PIC OF RANBOW DASH 4 U!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

Nice drawing.

</sarcasm>

Really, though. Guidelines and references can help you avoid making something like this. But since that was a joke, please refer to the sentence above.

:P

Posted Image

I DRAWED A GOOD PIC OF RANBOW DASH 4 U!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

MINES BETTER

in all seriousness, just start copying from other drawings till you think they look good. then start to draw the ponys posed the the way you want. in a nutshell that is, it gets much more complicated

post-2173-0-38047300-1334897368.jpg

I started up drawing ponies from scratch a few months ago, and now I'm fairly decent at it. Like others have said, drawing from reference is the best way to get to know pony anatomy and even tracing is very helpful when learning to draw them. If you use a tablet, I have a
if your interested.

Use ball and cylinder methods. Basically ball for head, oval for body. Rectangles for legs with circle for joints. Rectangle with the lines moving farther away for neck and again for hooves. With that approach, it's possible to set any position. Once you got the sapes in place, just round them off. so it looks smooth.

• Brohoof 1

There's a few step-by-step tutorials on DeviantArt and Youtube. I quite like odduckoasis's one personally.

They'll only really help with general side-on pics though, but they are a good place to start, until you are ready to start experimenting for yourself.