Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Fallout 4

King

Anyone tried the companion app yet? You can get it on the App Store and Google Play. It's actually pretty cool for only being in demo mode for the time being.

As far as the game goes, I'm gonna wait for a few days before purchase to see what sort of bugs there are (modern gaming is so great isn't it?) and if Bethesda can get it sorted out quickly.

• Brohoof 1

If anyone in the UK or northern Europe is getting slow speeds (I was getting 150KB/s), try setting your steam's DL location as New York or somewhere on the east coast.

Im going to the launch party tomorrow night here in Brisbane. As of right now, there's 1 day and 19 hours until that event...the hype is unbearable.

So far the reviews I've seen are mixed at best.

It has been getting 9's and 10's mostly with only a couple of mixed reviews. I'm waiting until it's fixed because i have seen online the PS4 version really stutters and has frame rate problems especially in the buildings. Xbox One version is even worse apparently.

PS4 versions framerate. Sheesh Bethesda...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jle5979Iqb4

Edited by Light Diamond

So instead of playing for 30 mins, I pretty much spent the day in this game.

Microphone problems, recording issues and a hangover have resulted in a slightly delayed video.

NSFW obviously, and spoilers are many-fold.

Mature filter has been set.

22.32 for fun times.

Edited by DJW

I am loving Fallout 4 so far. I think Fallout 4 is to Fallout 3, what Skyrim was to Oblivion. Graphics aren't mind blowing, but they are still pretty good. I don't understand why people are upset about that, when the game play is as awesome as it is.

• Brohoof 1

The problems I've seen discussed so far are a lack of meaningful choices, no real reason or path to being evil, a great deal of tedium involved in crafting, somewhat lackluster story, and superfluous traits and home benefits.

To be fair, Bethesda games can arguably all be called tedious in a sense, but when we've got games like Witcher 3 now, you kind of want a little more out of them.

Then again, it's worth remembering that a large majority of people buy Bethesda games buy them just so they can be modded later.

Edited by Lagrangian

Then again, it's worth remembering that a large majority of people buy Bethesda games buy them just so they can be modded later.

I anticipate the eventual mod community for this game. I don't think it will be modded to death like Skyrim was though. I'm gonna hold out for dumb mods that make the game more GLORIOUS.

• Brohoof 2

The problems I've seen discussed so far are a lack of meaningful choices, no real reason or path to being evil, a great deal of tedium involved in crafting, somewhat lackluster story, and superfluous traits and home benefits.

To be fair, Bethesda games can arguably all be called tedious in a sense, but when we've got games like Witcher 3 now, you kind of want a little more out of them.

Well I never played Witcher 3 or seen game play of it so I dont know about that. Again to those people who said those things, I ignore because Fallout 4 is great

I do hope that some kind of Darn UI will be available for Fallout 4 soon. The HUD is terrible.

Edited by Guest

It has been getting 9's and 10's mostly with only a couple of mixed reviews. I'm waiting until it's fixed because i have seen online the PS4 version really stutters and has frame rate problems especially in the buildings. Xbox One version is even worse apparently.

PS4 versions framerate. Sheesh Bethesda...

From what I see in this article, it appears as though the PS4 version runs better.

Apparently the complaints seem to be more or less that the PC version was toned down and not optimized very well (not really surprising these days). After a few patches people's minds may change, but a lot of people are giving mixed reviewed, but it's predominately positive. I sort of expected a few people to give it like 7-8 out of 10 due to hype not being met. The game was hyped so much that it's to be expected some things are "disappointing".

I am also seeing people complaining about some of the elements being oversimplified. I do not have the game until Christmas, so I will have to wait to give my review.

Edited by Guest

From what I see in this article, it appears as though the PS4 version runs better.

Apparently the complaints seem to be more or less that the PC version was toned down and not optimized very well (not really surprising these days). After a few patches people's minds may change, but a lot of people are giving mixed reviewed, but it's predominately positive. I sort of expected a few people to give it like 7-8 out of 10 due to hype not being met. The game was hyped so much that it's to be expected some things are "disappointing".

I am also seeing people complaining about some of the elements being oversimplified. I do not have the game until Christmas, so I will have to wait to give my review.

Which article? I can't see a link, i watched Digital Foundry's test and they said the PS4 version runs ok outside but starts having problems when you get into combat which the Xbox One version doesn't. A big problem where the One suffers is it drops to 0 FPS at times outside. They also did a test between the PC and console versions and the PC version seems to be the best experience for this game.  Both console versions need a lot of fixing right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipDWbd6HNg

i didn't know the PC version was toned down as i thought that the PC version is the best version of the game. I've had a look and you're right it says about bad optimization here.  http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

There have been a lot of mixed to negative opinions of this game but also a fair amount of good opinions which yeah i agree because of the amount of hype it got. 

I also think Bethesda should have delayed this game to release this game with less bugs and glitches.

I will get this once it has been fixed which will take months i imagine.

Edited by Light Diamond

sig-4207469.2015-11-10_00002_zpsy9juaqc7

sig-4207469.2015-11-10_00003_zpsizuib3or

So I found this earlier today while I was clearing a building of Super Mutants. The building apparently was once the HQ of a company that designed and sold robotic toy ponies.

Proof that Ponies (and by extension their fans) are everywhere. B)

• Brohoof 2

so I wanted to come on here and say what my experiences with the games are cause there are good things and bad.

Let me start with the 'root of all evil' the graphics. I'm going to say this right now... I'm sick of people bitching about it because these graphics are very charming. It looks like Bethesda valued depth in all individual objects and small details rather than making the game look OMG SUPER ULTRA REALISTIC HD 4K RESOLUTION MOST BESTEST LOOKING GAME EVER! I applaud them for this cause it's very charming and pleasing to look at while playing, and honestly... kind of a refreshing change of pace. This also allowed them to expand on the color pallet so everything isn't so brown and drab like it was in Fallout 3 and to a slightly lesser extent, Fallout: New Vegas. The graphics are great.

Alot of the game is very smooth but there is one thing I really dislike and that is the implementation of the settlement building mechanic. The mechanic is real good in concept but the way it was utilized in the PC version of the game is very very rocky (from my experience). I for the life of me couldn't get used to as the game batted me back and forth between 2 completely different control schemes also you can't move while in the building menu which is annoying as hell (or maybe it's the way I rebound the controls). As someone who Loves building things of this nature, this left me very disappointed.

From what I have experienced so far, the game is great but not perfect. I like it a lot.  

also I may get blasted for this opinion but I just want to know

why so critical about the graphics? 

why so critical about the way the game runs?

I will admit that fallout 4 is not perfect in fact I have twice now. I don't care if you dislike this game but most of the reasons I see people hating on it are invalid. It's as if people are looking for reasons to hate it that are no longer relevant, or reasons to hate it that don't exist.

It's real sad, we look so hard for flaws that don't exist it's almost as if we take for granted all the work that goes into a game this massive. All the effort it took to make everything we see. All the care Bethesda clearly shows for their fans unlike other video game companies. I'm just saying stop looking for negatives and look for the positives in this game, people.

I'm not saying you can't have problems with the game, I have my own but despite these small issues, I still enjoy the game for what it is and I feel others should too. 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1

I am also seeing people complaining about some of the elements being oversimplified.

From my own experience, this is where a lot of people are going to grumble.

The skills are gone (replaced entirely by perks and special increases), there's no repairing, no Hardcore mode like in NV and other reductions.

The cynic/PC-elitist might point to the saturation of the gaming industry. There are so many games out there (especially on steam) that the patience of the console crowd and regular PC gamer has, on average, dropped significantly in recent years. If they are bogged down in what they perceive is not 'playing the game' then they are going to go elsewhere. The detail-obsessive, stat-tweaking RPG fan is no longer their target audience as the proportion of casual players increases.

The optimist says that redundant elements have been removed so that you can focus on the atmosphere and story, rather than be forced to pause for micro managing (which the skill system frequently was) and other 'necessary' tasks that broke the flow of the game.

The hype probably didn't help. Many people were expecting a Fallout 3 with more stuff and better GFX, but they got something a bit different.

I think that in some ways, those that don't want to like it, don't like it; and those that want to like it, do.

And, guys....

Seriously....

It's been two days.

In maybe two months we can actually talk about if it's any good or not.

Oh and I mumble, umm and err through another half hour of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I3VOXArQWc

Edited by DJW
  • Brohoof 1

After watching the developments up this release and then seeing the actual game, I have to say I'm a little... Underwhelmed? Disappointed?

Sorry, but the game looks like something from 2010, and considering it runs on the same engine as Skyrim, that would make sense. I actually wouldn't be as judgmental about that if it didn't run like it's a game with boundary-pushing graphics. Having outdated graphics is one thing, but having a game with outdated graphics that struggles to run on the latest hardware screams laziness and lack of optimization. When companies like CD Projekt Red can make a game with better graphics, far less bugs, and better optimization that FO4 with a smaller budget, you know Bethesda is being lazy and incompetent. 

I can't speak for the rest of the game, but this is a pretty big turn-off. You can't just release a messed-up game and expect modders to fix it without some backlash. This will likely be a purchase I avoid until significantly into the future, if at all.

Oh yeah, and how about them saying it has a fully unlimited framerate? Yet unlocking the framerate affects the game's speed, because the framerate is tied directly to the engine. Lying is just going to piss people off.

Edited by Mouse

Which article? I can't see a link, i watched Digital Foundry's test and they said the PS4 version runs ok outside but starts having problems when you get into combat which the Xbox One version doesn't. A big problem where the One suffers is it drops to 0 FPS at times outside. They also did a test between the PC and console versions and the PC version seems to be the best experience for this game.  Both console versions need a lot of fixing right now.

I'm seeing articles about the Xbox One version running poorly all over now. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-runs-slightly-better-on-ps4-with-xbox-on/1100-6432181/

why so critical about the way the game runs?

Graphics I can understand, but performance is a MAJOR issue. If a game runs too slow it can make combat more annoying, load times more aggravating and a choppy and unfun experience.

It's real sad, we look so hard for flaws that don't exist it's almost as if we take for granted all the work that goes into a game this massive.

While I agree a lot of the time, consider this: a lot of the "negative" opinions are coming from review sites and review videos. Negative opinions generate more attention and therefore more ad revenue than positive ones. We sadly live in a society where saying something positive about something is often just overlooked and shrugged off. That and when we put $60 down for a game, we are expecting it to work properly and all that good stuff. While being too hard to please can be bad, let's not forget being too EASY to please is how developers have gotten away with releasing broken crap and convinced people to accept it being broken.