Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Fallout 4

King

Im sure you can do it, just keep your mind focused on other things. Besides, if there are any bugs they'll likely have been patched by Christmas. If you're not sure you can do it...well...grounds for divorce? xP

Oh god that's terrible. Hilarious, but terrible. Nah I love my wife, but she gets Christmas crazy, even though I do not believe in Christmas.

Budget is one of the factors that prevents me from getting most new releases, but I couldnt say no to Fallout.

i had to upgrade my pc if i wanted to play fallout 4

and even the game cost almost 100$

• Brohoof 1

Oh god that's terrible. Hilarious, but terrible. Nah I love my wife, but she gets Christmas crazy, even though I do not believe in Christmas.

I know, Im a horrible person.

Snip

Thats pretty awesome, though Bethesda (or ZeniMax more appropriately) have always been pretty lenient on fan work, whether it be mods or video content. Still, its always good to see their view on that hasnt changed, I might even put out a few videos on my first playthrough.

18 days left till Fallout 4 ruins my life. The last of the SPECIAL videos released recently too, be sure to give it a watch on the Bethesda Studios youtube channel.

I'm certainly looking forward to its release. My expectations are also at an all-time high considering its hefty price tag and the hype surrounding it.

Edited by Trigonia

Some news around Fallout 4 from the developer. They put content out of the game and require you to use Steam to get it. Just another pointless way to combat piracy.

http://www.maximumpc.com/fallout-4-discs-for-pc-intentionally-missing-content-to-thwart-piracy/

This user has a point:

"I'm sorry, but this is BS. If anything, this encourages piracy. You guys should learn a thing or two from CDPR,"

And Pete Hines reacted with:

"seems to be doing OK," adding that "lots of people bought Skyrim, Wolf, etc."

I bought Skyrim for the Xbox 360. And I should've known that PC gamers are getting screwed again.

Some news around Fallout 4 from the developer. They put content out of the game and require you to use Steam to get it. Just another pointless way to combat piracy.   http://www.maximumpc...-thwart-piracy/

To be fair, Bethesda in the past has done VERY LITTLE to stop piracy, and without Steam you can't even get the achievements in the game ANYWAYS. So the fact that they are doing even this one thing isn't really that big a deal since most players were going to redeem it on steam ANYWAYS.

Like I am totally against shitty DRM, but this is hardly "shitty". Most PC users pre-ordered the game through steam and physical sales on PC have been relatively low for years now. This will affect VERY few people.

I bought Skyrim for the Xbox 360. And I should've known that PC gamers are getting screwed again.

Ummm PC users got the best version of the game, and PS3 users were the ones who got screwed. Buggy release, late DLC delivery, DLC REQUIRED to fix major bugs, and game breaking bugs that never got fixed in Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim. If anything this is a minor inconvenience. 

To be fair, Bethesda in the past has done VERY LITTLE to stop piracy, and without Steam you can't even get the achievements in the game ANYWAYS. So the fact that they are doing even this one thing isn't really that big a deal since most players were going to redeem it on steam ANYWAYS.

Most PC users pre-ordered the game through steam and physical sales on PC have been relatively low for years now. This will affect VERY few people.

I'm actually not so concerned about the achievements.

So almost everything has been digitalized eh? And why would that effect very few people? Retail stores are not happy if the digitalization keep going. I still get my stuff from the local game store and they have tons of consoles and games. They only have a little section of PC games since most of them are DRM'ed and the store refuse to buy and sell used PC games.

Ummm PC users got the best version of the game, and PS3 users were the ones who got screwed. Buggy release, late DLC delivery, DLC REQUIRED to fix major bugs, and game breaking bugs that never got fixed in Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim. If anything this is a minor inconvenience. 

I'm not so worried about that. I have the Xbox 360 edition and I still enjoy it.

Didn't know that the PS3 version was a mess. Maybe Bethesda doesn't like Sony :confused:.

I'm actually not so concerned about the achievements. So almost everything has been digitalized eh? And why would that effect very few people? Retail stores are not happy if the digitalization keep going. I still get my stuff from the local game store and they have tons of consoles and games. They only have a little section of PC games since most of them are DRM'ed and the store refuse to buy and sell used PC games.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume you haven't been a PC gamer for very long. PC games could NEVER be sold used. Even back in like the early 2000s they required CD keys to prevent theft. You can't even return a PC game once it's opened. You've pretty much never been able to sell them used because PC has NEEDED DRM because piracy is so rampant on the PC. It's harder to pirate console games because you have to mod the hardware and such just to read them. Steam is by far the least intrusive DRM that they could have added. A majority of PC game sales these days are digital. I wouldn't worry too much about the retailers, because consoles is where they have always made most of their money anyways.

Besides if you want to complain about DRM, you should recognize how badly used game sales affect the gaming industry. Used games are losing sales to the original developers up the ass. It's basically just taking the same 100,000 copies and selling them to different people at no value to the developer. Developers do not get money from used game sales, and many store practice shitty practices to rip them off. Gamestop has been caught removing the cling wrap from games and trying to sell them as "used" so they can just write it off to the devs so the devs don't have to get paid. Used games are partially why pre-order incentives, season passes, etc. have become so rampant. People are buying used more than new and hurting the sales. I ONLY buy new when a game is still being produced. I can understand buying used when the game has reached the end of its life cycle and it's not possible to get a new copy anymore, but people are buying used only a week after release to save that $5, at the cost of screwing the devs out of a $60 sale.

At least the DRM on PC gaming means that EVERY PC game you buy, you're supporting the devs.

I'm not so worried about that. I have the Xbox 360 edition and I still enjoy it. Didn't know that the PS3 version was a mess. Maybe Bethesda doesn't like Sony .

Bethesda has never liked Sony, and this time it MAY screw them if they deliver a crappy version to the PS4. The PS4 right now is the most popular console, so if they give the PS4 a shitty version, they can say hello to tons of enraged fans.

But yeah, the PC versions of Bethesda games have always been regarded as the best versions. 

I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the E3 trailer. I absolutely loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Those two games were two of the best I've ever played. (And Fallout Equestria is what got me into the Brony fandom, so brownie points there.)

Everything about it looked impossibly amazing. I really wanted to get the Pip-Boy Edition, and I'm sour that I couldn't nab one. Nevertheless, I am definitely getting it on the Xbox One, and I can't wait to play it.

• Brohoof 1

I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the E3 trailer. I absolutely loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Those two games were two of the best I've ever played. (And Fallout Equestria is what got me into the Brony fandom, so brownie points there.)

Everything about it looked impossibly amazing. I really wanted to get the Pip-Boy Edition, and I'm sour that I couldn't nab one. Nevertheless, I am definitely getting it on the Xbox One, and I can't wait to play it.

At LEAST we can still get the app for our phones. So we are still getting the experience, so the only thing we don't get to experience is that piece of plastic on our wrists.

Bethesda has never liked Sony, and this time it MAY screw them if they deliver a crappy version to the PS4. The PS4 right now is the most popular console, so if they give the PS4 a shitty version, they can say hello to tons of enraged fans.

But yeah, the PC versions of Bethesda games have always been regarded as the best versions. 

Why doesn't Bethesda like Sony?

Why doesn't Bethesda like Sony?

Bethesda has always given Sony the shittiest ports of games. Skyrim on the PS3 was not only a mess, but PS3 users had to wait an additional 6 months to get the other DLCs. Fallout 3 was the same way, Sony users had to wait almost a year to get all the DLC that Xbox users already had. On top of that, some of the biggest bugs in the game could ONLY be fixed by buying the DLC, so that was kind of a kick in the nuts.

To top that off, the PS3 version of the game is the buggiest, crashes the most and suffers from severe frame rate drops. The same issues exist in New Vegas as well. Bethesda has always given favoritism towards Microsoft on the consoles.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume you haven't been a PC gamer for very long. PC games could NEVER be sold used. Even back in like the early 2000s they required CD keys to prevent theft. You can't even return a PC game once it's opened. You've pretty much never been able to sell them used because PC has NEEDED DRM because piracy is so rampant on the PC. It's harder to pirate console games because you have to mod the hardware and such just to read them. Steam is by far the least intrusive DRM that they could have added. A majority of PC game sales these days are digital. I wouldn't worry too much about the retailers, because consoles is where they have always made most of their money anyways.

I was a PC gamer when I began with gaming. There was a store that bought used PC games without problems.

I'm gonna disagree with you on DRM as a result of piracy. It made the piracy problems only worser.

There's no denial that Console versions are harder to pirate.

As I said earlier, I'd like to see more a "compatible with Steam account" than "Requires Steam account".

Remember the whole DRM presentation at Xbox One? And PS4 too. Retailers where angry.

Gamestop has been caught removing the cling wrap from games and trying to sell them as "used" so they can just write it off to the devs so the devs don't have to get paid. Used games are partially why pre-order incentives, season passes, etc. have become so rampant. People are buying used more than new and hurting the sales. I ONLY buy new when a game is still being produced. I can understand buying used when the game has reached the end of its life cycle and it's not possible to get a new copy anymore, but people are buying used only a week after release to save that $5, at the cost of screwing the devs out of a $60 sale.

I didn't know that Gamestop did such practices. Never happened in The Netherlands.

And I thought all those DLC, microtransactions and other stuff where because of high development costs. Look at Destiny.

They should really change their attitude to the PS. Let's see how the PS4 version of Fallout 4 ends.

I got the physical version of Oblivion (No DRM! Hell Yeah!), and also Redguard, Arena and Daggerfall from GOG :lol:.

I'm just used to physical games without DRM. The digitalization goes really quick for me.

Edited by Limeblossom

I was a PC gamer when I began with gaming. There was a store that bought used PC games without problems.

How did you bypass the fact that the CD was already used?  :o

I'm gonna disagree with you on DRM as a result of piracy. It made the piracy problems only worser.

While it has made piracy worse, it becomes an issue of "what can we do?" No DRM resulted in lots of piracy. DRM resulted in piracy. A company has the right to protect its content.

As I said earlier, I'd like to see more a "compatible with Steam account" than "Requires Steam account". Remember the whole DRM presentation at Xbox One? And PS4 too. Retailers where angry.

But the thing is, used games are drastically hurting sales for the console software. They make $0 off of a used game sale, and think of it like this: Let's say 100,000 people bought a used copy of a game. That's 100,000 sales lost by the devs, and a 100,000 sales that Gamestop has stolen from the developers. Gamestop doesn't reimburse the developers at all for used game sales.

Honestly if we want to see the end of DRM, while the devs don't take a hit (because if they keep taking hits, microtransactions, DLC and pre-order incentives along with increased base price of games will be our future) there needs to be laws in place to prevent second hand shops from selling games used until a certain date. Like after the initial sale period of say 6 months. When you sell used games along with the new copies, you're cutting deeply into the initial sale period which makes up a majority of sales.

If you want to stop DRM, microtransactions, etc. you have to buy new. Never buy used unless the game is out of print. Don't be cheap, because when you are cheap and buy used, you lower the profit margin for games, and as a result, bullshit like DRM, Microtransactions, etc. come in to try and protect the little profit margin they have.

I didn't know that Gamestop did such practices. Never happened in The Netherlands. And I thought all those DLC, microtransactions and other stuff where because of high development costs. Look at Destiny.

Development costs being high wouldn't be an issue if the profit margin for games was higher. It isn't because so many people either pirate games or buy them used.

They should really change their attitude to the PS. Let's see how the PS4 version of Fallout 4 ends. I got the physical version of Oblivion (No DRM! Hell Yeah!), and also Redguard, Arena and Daggerfall from GOG .   I'm just used to physical games without DRM. The digitalization goes really quick for me.

I don't know how things are in the Netherlands, but PC gamers have been used to digital versions of games for a long time now. DRM is not inherently evil, or even a bad thing. DRM has protected me before. Someone has stolen my PC games before from my house, but since I had the CD key already in use, they couldn't steal them. DRM sucks when it's intrusive, but it's not really a HUGE deal if it's not intrusive.

In the case of Steam, you STILL OWN the physical copy, it just activates through Steam which honestly... Is more convenient. I remember for a long time many games only let you install them on one PC at a time, whereas with Steam you can install on many, get achievements, have the ability to talk to your friends with ease during gameplay, and has a nice built in mod support system that handles mods for  you. If the trade off is that you need to make a steam account and suffer no repercussions in any way, I'd say that's not a bad deal.

Really though how are you even remotely inconvenienced by Steam as a DRM? I admit that I hate terrible DRM, but being too extreme in the other direction is also not a good thing. 

No DRM resulted in lots of piracy. DRM resulted in piracy. A company has the right to protect its content.

???

DRM doesn't quite result in piracy so much as it results in people wanting the game without the DRM, which you will only get if you pirate it.

Development costs being high wouldn't be an issue if the profit margin for games was higher. It isn't because so many people either pirate games or buy them used.

I'm curious as to the source on this. It's rather difficult to prove that a copy of the game wasn't sold because X. Especially given the environment such things exist in--they're not generally renowned for their stat-tracking abilities.

I don't know how things are in the Netherlands, but PC gamers have been used to digital versions of games for a long time now. DRM is not inherently evil, or even a bad thing. DRM has protected me before. Someone has stolen my PC games before from my house, but since I had the CD key already in use, they couldn't steal them. DRM sucks when it's intrusive, but it's not really a HUGE deal if it's not intrusive.

In the case of Steam, you STILL OWN the physical copy, it just activates through Steam which honestly... Is more convenient. I remember for a long time many games only let you install them on one PC at a time, whereas with Steam you can install on many, get achievements, have the ability to talk to your friends with ease during gameplay, and has a nice built in mod support system that handles mods for you. If the trade off is that you need to make a steam account and suffer no repercussions in any way, I'd say that's not a bad deal.

Really though how are you even remotely inconvenienced by Steam as a DRM? I admit that I hate terrible DRM, but being too extreme in the other direction is also not a good thing.

Having the CD key isn't a big help, unless said key allowed you to download a digital copy?

I don't know about good mod support . .

I object to Steam DRM mainly because of its near-monopoly on digital games. That's way too many eggs in one basket to make me comfortable. That's why I always try to buy from GOG when I can, try to balance out the scales a bit.

Edited by Lagrangian

HHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! Is my favourite thing about any game... Ever (except Watchdogs. Because well Watch. Dogs). But seriously I can't wait for Bethesda to release /develop a new fallout as well new Vegas was developed by obsidian and later released by Bethesda

Edited by Totally Not Sparkle

??? DRM doesn't quite result in piracy so much as it results in people wanting the game without the DRM, which you will only get if you pirate it.

Back in the 90s when DRM was weak and the internet was new, games would be stolen left and right. Now that we have DRM, Piracy is still there. Do you see my point? It's a lose-lose situation for the developers. No DRM relies on people to be honest, which people won't do. There will always be some douchebags that ruin it.

I'm curious as to the source on this. It's rather difficult to prove that a copy of the game wasn't sold because X. Especially given the environment such things exist in--they're not generally renowned for their stat-tracking abilities.

Wolfenstein the New Order had over 100,000 copies pirated on day one. Why do you think companies are TRYING to move to digital distribution? It's easier to halt used game sales. You don't need exact numbers to know that 100,000 copies of a $60 game is $600,000 that was not made. The same applies for 100,000 used copies sold. So if people torrented 100,000 copies (which is being generous because it's probably higher) and people bought 100,000 used copies (also generous because it's probably way higher) that's a total of $1.2 million that was lost. That's a huge chunk of change.

Having the CD key isn't a big help, unless said key allowed you to download a digital copy?

That is literally exactly what having the CD key does on Steam. You punch in the key, the game gets added to your account, you can download on any PC, if you ever lose the CD, you have the game stored there so you can pull it back.

I don't know about good mod support . .

What's easier? Going to a steam page and clicking to add the mods you like? Or fiddling with a mod loader, placing them in the correct folders, downloading all the files manually and hoping it works?

Steam checks for malicious mods for you as well, so less worries about messing up your game.

I object to Steam DRM mainly because of its near-monopoly on digital games. That's way too many eggs in one basket to make me comfortable. That's why I always try to buy from GOG when I can, try to balance out the scales a bit.

But that isn't Valve's fault. Origin COULD be a viable competitor to where it would not be a monopoly, but EA decides to treat their customers like shit, charge top dollar and be overall non-functional. It's not Valve's fault that their competition just sucks. So far what has Valve done to harm the gaming industry? If anything Valve is always fighting to protect it. Valve opposed all SOPA bills, they are against game censorship, they refuse to be bullied into censoring games, and they are partially responsible for giving Indie devs a chance to compete. They also have actively engaged in sales to bring the price of gaming down, and do not believe in the whole "new game means $60" policy that many companies have. Valve believes to charge $60 you have to give a certain amount worth of game before you can justify that price.

To top this off, Valve has given away many of their own games for free.

Where does the evil monopoly come in? 

Valve opposed all SOPA bills, they are against game censorship, they refuse to be bullied into censoring games,

I´m agreeing with you that Valve deserve a thumbs up for that. I Almost thought that SOPA was Jack Thompson's act of retaliation since we completely screwed him years ago.

And most used games I buy are no longer printed anymore.

Well its obvious this thread isnt about Fallout 4 anymore,but rather something else altogether 

Sorry about that. So... has someone already played a demo of the game?

Edited by Limeblossom