Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Touching enemies, taking damage

Mothra

So in Alot of games, merely touching an enemy will damage you. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, megaman and shovel knight to name a few. Is this a thing that people are sick of? I mean, I can see it working in some games, but sometimes, dying and having to redo an entire level or section due to simply making contact with the enemy kinda seems cheap to me. Why don't they get hurt when they make contact with me? Why is this only a punishment towards the player?

If the game isn't based on or doesn't pride itself on dodging enemies and parkour-esc maneuvers, there should be some leeway on whether or not enemies do damage to you just by touching them, or make it so some enemies do damage by making contact and others don't. In my opinion, I'm sick of it, but that's more down to the fact that people are making insane levels on Mario maker, and I guess you could say I'm a little salty over it, but I am genuinely curious on this topic and what other people think about it, and are there any other games you think should / shouldn't have this as a game mechanic?

Edited by Battra

In games like Zelda and Mario, I feel like it is done right. It is a sense of avoidance, either go to the enemy with a plan or avoid them all together. It can be part of the game strategy. That, I have no issues with if done well. However, the type of enemies like this that I cannot stand, are enemies that simply have one program in their A.I.: Run to the player. This combined with either touch damage or really simple attacks annoys me to no end and it is something I heavily criticize in a game if it is not done well and most of the time, it is not. The game Ziggurat is the perfect example of how to do it horribly. 

In games like Zelda and Mario, I feel like it is done right. It is a sense of avoidance, either go to the enemy with a plan or avoid them all together. It can be part of the game strategy. That, I have no issues with if done well. However, the type of enemies like this that I cannot stand, are enemies that simply have one program in their A.I.: Run to the player. This combined with either touch damage or really simple attacks annoys me to no end and it is something I heavily criticize in a game if it is not done well and most of the time, it is not. The game Ziggurat is the perfect example of how to do it horribly. 

I agree that Mario and Zelda does it right, but when it happens, I can't help but laughing at the thought of Mario dying from lightly tapping a Goomba. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I agree that Mario and Zelda does it right, but when it happens, I can't help but laughing at the thought of Mario dying from lightly tapping a Goomba. :lol:

Methinks Bowser coated them in cyanide, that is the only thing I can think of. XD

Naw it doesn't. It usually feels natural for the games that use it. I'd be more annoyed if it was a game like Metal Gear, Call of Duty, etc.