Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Flash Sentry's Major Flaw Really The Issue?

knightgallant

@@Chronamut, There's no doubt that stupid reasons for disliking Flash exist. "Because he insulted Twilight in Rainbow Rocks" is one, because he was under a trance. The Sirens warped their victims into exchanging hate, and he was one of them. He would never do that when in character. But "He steals Twilight from themselves or their fancharacters" hasn't been a reason why they don't like him.

• Brohoof 1

@@Chronamut, There's no doubt that stupid reasons for disliking Flash exist. "Because he insulted Twilight in Rainbow Rocks" is one, because he was under a trance. The Sirens warped their victims into exchanging hate, and he was one of them. He would never do that when in character. But "He steals Twilight from themselves or their fancharacters" hasn't been a reason why they don't like him.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that you could now read the minds of ALL the bronies out there and decide for yourself what THEY thought of flash sentry and why.

Please, illuminate me more on your amazing mind reading abilities.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't go too far with saying that. Unless you have the power to tap into every mind within our universe or searched throughout all media to confirm no one has expressed "he stole my waifu" as their reason for disliking Flash, your claim would be far from accurate 

But at this point, perhaps we should all calm down. After all, it's hard to argue with yourself. If you think what's being said is irrational simply move forward to avoid further frustrating yourselves. It's not worth it. Most of us have already agreed that such claims aren't accurate. Might as well let them be with believing whatever they wish to believe and focus on the topic at hand: FLASH PLEASE BECOME MORE LIKABLE c:

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't go too far with saying that. Unless you have the power to tap into every mind within our universe or searched throughout all media to confirm no one has expressed "he stole my waifu" as their reason for disliking Flash, your claim would be far from accurate 

But at this point, perhaps we should all calm down. After all, it's hard to argue with yourself. If you think what's being said is irrational simply move forward to avoid further frustrating yourselves. It's not worth it. Most of us have already agreed that such claims aren't accurate. Might as well let them be with believing whatever they wish to believe and focus on the topic at hand: FLASH PLEASE BECOME MORE LIKABLE c:

Indeed Principessa Sunset; I was just about to come in and say this myself.

flash should bring on the ultimate diss and go gay. 

SORRY TWILIGHT, YOU MADE ME WAIT TOO LONG

Aha. But you know, I believe another reason as to why Flash is hated is because people DO want them to be together and they WANT to feel something genuine out of their "relationship" if that is what some what to call it. 

But it frustrates them that they can't. The little we see from their interactions feels more like a deleted scene from "Not Another Tee Movie" if you guys can remember this comedy movie. 

• Brohoof 1

Hey everyone, lets not forget that were getting mad at each over a cartoon meant for girls. Thanks, and have a nice day.

I wonder if 5 year old girls have these arguments with each other :P

• Brohoof 2

Aha. But you know, I believe another reason as to why Flash is hated is because people DO want them to be together and they WANT to feel something genuine out of their "relationship" if that is what some what to call it. 

But it frustrates them that they can't. The little we see from their interactions feels more like a deleted scene from "Not Another Tee Movie" if you guys can remember this comedy movie. 

The way EQG1 and RR played out their relationship, it's as if DHX wants so little to do with both Flash and their dynamic. But when they show little interest in developing it, you hurt Flash's character. The relationship angle is a complete waste of screentime. By confining Flash to that role and keeping him so stereotypical, you damn his integrity.

Hey everyone, lets not forget that were getting mad at each over a cartoon meant for girls. Thanks, and have a nice day.

Bad point to make.

1. Friendship Is Magic is an all-ages, family-friendly cartoon. Anyone of any age can watch it, enjoy it, and follow it. Several times, DHX crossed multiple demographics to make the product appeal to everyone.
  2. Equestria Girls's base demographic is older than FIM's. FIM's base demographic is four to six years old. EQG's base is adolescents.
  3. Just because it's a "girls' cartoon" doesn't make this show insusceptible to negative critiques, debates, and analysis of a product's quality. People argue because they're passionate about it and want to see it not only do well, but also do better if the quality is below standards. Flash's execution is well below the standards of DHX and the fourth generation on the whole.
  4. The real target audience of FIM/MLP G4 — hell, anything "for kids" — is guardians of kids. They help gauge what may be appropriate or suitable for kids or not. If they feel any product isn't appropriate for the age or is below their quality standard, then they won't buy it.
Edited by Dark Qiviut

do they talk about twiwight shpawkle and shunshet shimmer?

Oh most certainly :P It is adorable :lol:

I am also going to remind y'all that it ain't Flash's fault that the writers didn't take advantage of his character and develop it like they did for Sunset Shimmer. It doesn't help that he seems to be seen less and less in the EG movies..

I am also going to remind y'all that it ain't Flash's fault that the writers didn't take advantage of his character and develop it like they did for Sunset Shimmer. It doesn't help that he seems to be seen less and less in the EG movies..

Good point about the writers poorly executing his character. Yet, in a show designed to present characters who subvert clichés, is likeable, and is relatable to kids, he's anything but endearing. Flash isn't even a character. He's a Gary Stu and a plot device devoid of any importance whatsoever. In the first film, his only true plot purpose was to acquit Twilight of vandalizing the gym, but any one of the HuMane Five could've done it for him, and nothing would change. You won't get people to like a character like him if the show's supposed to make you like a three-dimensional character.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Good point about the writers poorly executing his character. Yet, in a show designed to present characters who subvert clichés, is likeable, and is relatable to kids, he's anything but endearing. Flash isn't even a character. He's a Gary Stu and a plot device devoid of any importance whatsoever. In the first film, his only true plot purpose was to acquit Twilight of vandalizing the gym, but any one of the HuMane Five could've done it for him, and nothing would change. You won't get people to like a character like him if the show's supposed to make you like a three-dimensional character.

Human Flash Sentry and Pony Twilight Sparkle isn't an actual romance given the circumstances. It's a fling. Human Flash isn't going to end up with pony Twilight Sparkle in a permanent relationship. He'll just end up chasing after human Twilight which is not a major deal as pony Twilight. All that effort of human Flash chasing after pony Twilight is a complete waste if it goes no where.

Edited by Singe

Human Flash Sentry and Pony Twilight Sparkle isn't an actual romance given the circumstances. It's a fling. Human Flash isn't going to end up with pony Twilight Sparkle in a permanent relationship. He'll just end up chase after human Twilight which is not a major deal as pony Twilight. All that effort of human Flash chasing after pony Twilight is a complete waste if it goes no where.

I can understand this. There are two things in mind to suggest improving his character:

1. Show any ability to have a friendship to where their crushes on each other make sense. Currently, nothing's in common between 'em. The angle exists because the plot says so.
  2. A suggestion I posted in my blog was to ditch the crush angle entirely. Right now, his whole identity is paired down to that, and that holds him back.

There were posts offsite that suggested a retcon of his character, but that's a terrible idea. Retcon his character, and you have a Sunset Shimmer on your hands: a character who looks and sounds like him, but isn't him because his character is reset.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

I can understand this. There are two things in mind to suggest improving his character:

1. Show any ability to have a friendship to where their crushes on each other make sense. Currently, nothing's in common between 'em.
  2. A suggestion I posted in my blog was to ditch the crush angle entirely. Right now, his whole identity is paired down to that, and that holds him back.

There were posts offsite that suggested a retcon of his character, but that's a terrible idea. Retcon his character, and you have a Sunset Shimmer on your hands: a character who looks and sounds like him, but isn't him because his character is reset.

The movies are not likely going to invest time in developing Flash Sentry's character, with three movies in now. Best chance is some EG side project like a novel, short, etc.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

The movies are not going to invest time in developing Flash Sentry character, with three movies in now. Best chance is some EG side project like a novel, short, etc.

Unfortunately, DHX doesn't give a damn about him even in the shorts. He was a star in one of them for Friendship Games, and he was as unlikeable and stereotypical as the other two boys. Any "flaw" they attempt to give him is contrived as hell.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case.

Right now, DHX doesn't give a damn about him even in the shorts. He was a star in one of them for Friendship Games, and he was as unlikeable and stereotypical as the other two boys. Any "flaw" they attempt to give him is contrived as hell.

Conclusion, I just see no point investing in a dead end character like Flash Sentry.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

I would seriously argue with that - compared to the mane six she doesn't really have any well defined talents - she is just the witch that took over the school and now feels bad about it and explodes whenever people don't do what she says and has a temper - she's kinda like the "ginger" of the group.

and sure she forgives and helps save the school with magic in the third movie but meh.

And she plays guitar.

Twilight is a genius in that world - fluttershy takes care of animals - rainbowdash is captain of every sports team - applejack runs the farm and pinkie pie is the events coordinator for dances and stuff. AND they all play in a band as well.

Sunset shimmer just plays guitar.

Imo out of all of them she is the LEAST developed character.

Yeah I don't find Sunset Shimmer developed or anything like people say. She appears in three movies and suddenly becomes a big hit in the brony fandom for some reason. I mean Spike has way more development than Sunset Shimmer yet people don't like him as much. They did not explore Sunset Shimmer enough to show any development really.

The entirety of her face time is her talking about how the school still hasn't forgiven her and how she feels guilty. But you never see this issue being explored. Only once, when she was trying to help some students clear up an auditorium and they just sort of brushed her away. It's not like she was getting bullied or anything else. She just comes out whiny and emo the whole time. I'm just facehoofing whenever she is with the mane six just complaining thinking "this again." She doesn't go through any hardships, how she was treated was more like a typical Mary Sue in any case. When compared to Twilight which she was supposed to replace in the third movie she was as developed as a G1 main character pony.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I don't find Sunset Shimmer developed or anything like people say. She appears in three movies and suddenly becomes a big hit in the brony fandom for some reason. I mean Spike has way more development than Sunset Shimmer yet people don't like him as much. They did not explore Sunset Shimmer enough to show any development really.

The entirety of her face time is her talking about how the school still hasn't forgiven her and how she feels guilty. But you never see this issue being explored. Only once, when she was trying to help some students clear up an auditorium and they just sort of brushed her away. It's not like she was getting bullied or anything else. She just comes out whiny and emo the whole time. I'm just facehoofing whenever she is with the mane six just complaining thinking "this again." She doesn't go through any hardships, how she was treated was more like a typical Mary Sue in any case. When compared to Twilight which she was supposed to replace in the third movie she was as developed as a G1 main character pony.

And this is probably the best example when it comes to not knowing what bullying is and the many ways it can be delivered.

Bullying comes in many forms....they are never just physically or even delivered orally. Sunset was basically shunned by the entire school with the exception of the Humane 5. And not once did she ever say or even imply that were WRONG for doing that. Yes, she was "whiny" about being the most hated girl in school, but she also accepted the fact she was such a horrible person. It's called being trapped in your mistakes and living in a world of deep regret and guilt for the pain you caused on others. Another character who struggles with this is Luna in the episode "Luna Eclipsed"....where no one wanted to be near her and feared her.

i have no troubles with you disliking Sunset because not everyone does. And in the past, whenever you express your distaste for her, i say only little and move on...but the fact that you boldly state that she wasn't getting bullied shocks me. Isolation is a form of bullying as well as hateful glares and people talking behind your back. It is not a good feeling whatsoever and it's better to whine about it to your friends than to hold it in and worsen the issue as Luna did which led to her problem in "Do Princess Dream of Magic Sheep". at least Sunset accepted that everyone had a right to be mad at her. She even said it herself "I was a raging she-demon" and "I was pretty bad wasnt I?". Just because someone acknowledges their faults, doesnt mean they must LIKE the punishment. The only reason she whines about it through the movie is because she is hated just as consistently.

And there were moments when she explored the issue. Once when she tried to help in the auditorium (as you already stated) and another trying to give the new students a good impression so they could get to see an improved Sunset instead of the bratty Sunset she was before. It was just unfortunate that those new students happeed to be the Hocus Pocus sisters 2.0

I will agree on one thing you mentioned though....they haven't explored her enough. We only have a brief backstory and that doesn't even tell us much. But as far as development, she has reviewed it and it's been executed well for just 2 movies. I say 2 instead of 3 because in the first she was just.....just no.

And as for you saying she's a Mary Sue? Eh that's your opinion and I won't argue with it despite feeling differently. One can always call certain characters a Mary Sue.....nothing can be done with that

Edited by Princess Sunset

Dang, I’m late to the Flash party!

If some Bronies want to have Twilight for their waifu, then let them have their bucking waifu. It still doesn’t negate any other valid opinion that describes Flash Sentry as a mass-produced boy toy devoid of all qualities that would make him a good match for Twilight Sparkle. She’s a living legend, a magical princess that fights powerful villains, a nerdy witch that doesn’t give a damn about guitars and fancy carriages. She deserves a stallion that would at least partially understand what she’s babbling about in her free time. Aggressively pushing some pretty dudebro nobody on our bookworm is what has sparked this ire, and attacking waifu enthusiasts does not address these concerns. Let them be. Focus your cannons on us.

• Brohoof 2

not to be a dick, but i have to say this. the guy is a cartoon character. People will dislike, love, or even love-hate. I dislike him because he's..honestly the opposite of what MLp is about. friendship, not cliche teenage characters who have the development of tuna. Sunset is really the good part of eqg. twilight has no point being there anymore. Sunset, can be the hero. like she was in eqg3. the story there is done, and it eqg3 kinda shows that..despite being in love with twilight. flash can't tell the difference when everyone else found out quickly. 

The movies are not likely going to invest time in developing Flash Sentry's character, with three movies in now. Best chance is some EG side project like a novel, short, etc.

We'll have to look into EG4 in the future to clarify ;)