movies/tv Last show you watched?

ponylaces

Akiba Maid Wars: This is an anime series about Akihabara Café Maids at war with other café maids within the Akihabara/Electric Town section of Tokyo. I like outlandish, insane and ridiculous story ideas like this and I had a great time watching it. It had an interesting ambiguous ending which I liked but then they tossed on a post-credit scene which diluted the ending that should have been left up to the interpretation of the audience. But still, I can’t diss this show because I had so much fun watching it.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

Andor. I’ve already seen it but I love this show so I gave it another go. The next season is reportedly being postponed so it’ll be a year before we get to see what happens next. Dang, I really need more!

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Andor. I’ve already seen it but I love this show so I gave it another go. The next season is reportedly being postponed so it’ll be a year before we get to see what happens next. Dang, I really need more!

I really didn't get the appeal. Virtually no droids or aliens, tons of politics, Star Wars made for people who don't like Star Wars.

17 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I really didn't get the appeal. Virtually no droids or aliens, tons of politics, Star Wars made for people who don't like Star Wars.

The droids and aliens are incidental to the plot and exist there in a matter-of-fact sort of way, making it feel very real and ‘normal’ when they do show up. The politics are central to be sure, but the maneuvers of Rebellion vs Empire is rooted in politics. I don’t usually care for anything overly political but the writing is so dang crisp and the acting so strong that I have to love it. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s for people who don’t like Star wars. I’m obsessive over Star Wars and I like this show, despite the fact that it’s Disney, which I always view with my defenses up.  

• Hugs 1

7 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

The droids and aliens are incidental to the plot and exist there in a matter-of-fact sort of way, making it feel very real and ‘normal’ when they do show up. The politics are central to be sure, but the maneuvers of Rebellion vs Empire is rooted in politics. I don’t usually care for anything overly political but the writing is so dang crisp and the acting so strong that I have to love it. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s for people who don’t like Star wars. I’m obsessive over Star Wars and I like this show, despite the fact that it’s Disney, which I always view with my defenses up.  

I'll still take The Mandalorian. Much more fun and it fits into the real continuity if you squint hard enough.

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-02-03 at 9:54 AM, Fluttershutter said:

I'll still take The Mandalorian. Much more fun and it fits into the real continuity if you squint hard enough.

I liked The Mandalorian at first, but the last season was getting desperate. I'd have to squint my eyes all the way shut for that. 

• Brohoof 1

Gyeongseong Creature. This is an interesting movie I came across on Netflix and I gave it a try. It takes place against a backdrop of 1945 Korea under Japanese rule. The historical setting mixed with a monster movie plot makes it an interesting and highly original series. I’ve only seen the first three episodes but the characters are interesting and fresh, and the thriller aspects are just getting started. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

• Hugs 1

17 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I liked The Mandalorian at first, but the last season was getting desperate. I'd have to squint my eyes all the way shut for that. 

Yeah, they really phoned in that last season but I thought the ending was good.

• Brohoof 1

Master of the Air. I caught up and so far I’m loving it. It’s very grounded and not glorified propaganda war entertainment. Respectfully based on true events. I really do love the visuals effects (the main key point) The plots is well paced so far and I believe this will be on my list of favorite for war shows/movies list. Austin Butler, is so damn fiiiine, like everything he does and said really. :ButtercupLaugh:. Sorry i can’t help it but to romanticizing the show a bit, he just so damn dreamy. :please::please:

IMG_9571.thumb.jpeg.ddeb5ec18fd9d4c8dba08f20ad8789e6.jpeg
IMG_9572.thumb.jpeg.83653114881cf4b32a3b8aabf7fc1d2d.jpeg

IMG_9573.thumb.webp.83d207ff74926ef1ab36d5a3b37ddcf9.webp

Adam-12. Yup, the cop show from the late ‘60s-early ‘70s. I watched every last episode on re-runs when I was little and it still holds up okay. It’s nothing brilliant and there are absolutely no surprises whatsoever. Most of the scripts seem to have come out of a bin of random submissions, but it’s harmless and easy to watch.

• Hugs 1

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2024) This is a new series on Netflix and the trailers looked promising. Sadly the show itself is fairly generic, highly predictable and the acting is mostly flat. The special effects are great but there’s nothing new to that; there isn’t anything we haven’t seen a zillion times. Studios seem to think they can bypass the writing stage altogether and just dazzle the audience into a receptive stupor with CG effects, but this is living proof that good entertainment doesn’t work that way. In all fairness though, I just started this series and haven’t seen enough episodes to give it a really good review. But that’s what I think so far. I’m not a follower of the original Airbender and I thought the much-lambasted 2010 movie was great (I think I’m alone in that opinion), but this show hasn’t impressed me so far.  

• Hugs 2

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2024) This is a new series on Netflix and the trailers looked promising. Sadly the show itself is fairly generic, highly predictable and the acting is mostly flat. The special effects are great but there’s nothing new to that; there isn’t anything we haven’t seen a zillion times. Studios seem to think they can bypass the writing stage altogether and just dazzle the audience into a receptive stupor with CG effects, but this is living proof that good entertainment doesn’t work that way. In all fairness though, I just started this series and haven’t seen enough episodes to give it a really good review. But that’s what I think so far. I’m not a follower of the original Airbender and I thought the much-lambasted 2010 movie was great (I think I’m alone in that opinion), but this show hasn’t impressed me so far.  

Haven't seen it yet but that's pretty much what I'm expecting. The anime will never be surpassed.

On the other hand I love One Piece. The anime's great but the live action is just tighter and takes out some of the silliest elements.

• Brohoof 1
  • Sad 1