Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Starlight Glimmer is OP

toonami97

Well, RD can break the sound barrier, yet she met Lightning Dust who is her equal, and perhaps there are other Pegasi out there who are just as fast. If so, then perhaps they're all capable of a Sonic Rainboom, which is incredibly OP. If Pinkie and Maud can break down rocks and Big Mac can pull a house, are Earth Ponies too OP? We're watching a series where a lot of ponies are ridiculous in terms of their abilities, and physics doesn't always agree with it. Sure, I think unicorns, next to Alicorns, are the most ridiculous species of pony, but they're all ridiculous. My point is, yes, I think Starlight Glimmer is OP, but she's a character in a series where a lot of ponies are, so by that logic she fits right in.

• Brohoof 2

Well, RD can break the sound barrier, yet she met Lightning Dust who is her equal, and perhaps there are other Pegasi out there who are just as fast. If so, then perhaps they're all capable of a Sonic Rainboom, which is incredibly OP. If Pinkie and Maud can break down rocks and Big Mac can pull a house, are Earth Ponies too OP? We're watching a series where a lot of ponies are ridiculous in terms of their abilities, and physics doesn't always agree with it. Sure, I think unicorns, next to Alicorns, are the most ridiculous species of pony, but they're all ridiculous. My point is, yes, I think Starlight Glimmer is OP, but she's a character in a series where a lot of ponies are, so by that logic she fits right in.

LD cant do the SR though and the SR doesnt seem OP and not in the context you put those characters I find EP underpowered and useless half the time in a way.

LD cant do the SR though and the SR doesnt seem OP and not in the context you put those characters I find EP underpowered and useless half the time in a way.

I think the Sonic Rainboom is incredibly ridiculous, as the first one RD did singlehandedly set off a chain of events that caused the rest of the mane six to get their cutie marks, but I guess there is no proof that LD can do it, though given her speed I'm sure it's not beyond the realm of possibility. I personally find Maud and Big Mac pretty ridiculous at times, but their skills don't really carry over to battle abilities like unicorn magic does so I will give you that, but I think what we see are the top 1% of a given species anyways. I doubt most unicorns are that insanely talented, but I guess I'm just proving the point that Starlight is OP, and I wasn't arguing that she's not. I just don't think she sticks out all that much in a series where we have seen a lot of crazy stuff. Then again, being as capable as an Alicorn and being able to gain flight through levitation is incredible to say the least.

she probably memoried the spell, so she can still time jump if she wanted to

Also, time travel or not, she was able to plan and think 3 steps ahead of Twi, and go horn to horn in a magic lazer duel

She needs the scroll that Starswirl probably spent years developing. The fact that it was sent into the portal implies she has discarded that spell the same way Rarity did in Inspiration Manifestation.

I mean if you're saying memorizing it alone will help that would go the same for Twilight who used it herself and read it as well, and knowing Twilight she can memorize anything. I would say you need that scroll to time travel.

Edited by cider float

Starlight's magic is ridiculously good, but I don't see any conclusive evidence that she's OP, let alone more powerful than Twilight. The reason Twilight had such a hard time with her is because of the situation they were in. No matter what she did, Rainbow Dash couldn't do the Sonic Rainboom. In any other setting where they could shoot magic at each other with no parameters or outside interference, who knows how that fight would turn out?

Edited by Lord-Pomegranate
  • Brohoof 1

Starlight's magic is ridiculously good, but I don't see any conclusive evidence that she's OP, let alone more powerful than Twilight. The reason Twilight had such a hard time with her is because of the situation they were in. No matter what she did, Rainbow Dash couldn't do the Sonic Rainboom. In any other setting where they could shoot magic at each other with no parameters or outside interference, who knows how that fight would turn out?

I agree.

I don't think Starlight is OP. I think she was just well prepared. How many spells did we actually see her perform in the show? Not many, if you think about it.

She did a hover spell, which is no different than any similar spell Twilight came up with.

She had that entrapment spell, and Twilight was able to copy that pretty fast just from observing it.

And the only reason she made the time travel spell more powerful was because of the table map.

That's THREE spells in all, and chances are she didn't invent any of them.

The only equalizers in the struggle were Starlight's agility, quick-witted thinking, and sheer determination. She was driven by selfish means. If I've learned anything from this show, it's that magic is based on emotions and friendship bonds. Starlight had no friendship bonds and she was angry beyond reason. It still made her powerful, but in a negative way. If Twilight had not gotten through to her, she might have become just as terrible a monster as Discord or Sombra.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 3

I think the Sonic Rainboom is incredibly ridiculous, as the first one RD did singlehandedly set off a chain of events that caused the rest of the mane six to get their cutie marks, but I guess there is no proof that LD can do it, though given her speed I'm sure it's not beyond the realm of possibility. I personally find Maud and Big Mac pretty ridiculous at times, but their skills don't really carry over to battle abilities like unicorn magic does so I will give you that, but I think what we see are the top 1% of a given species anyways. I doubt most unicorns are that insanely talented, but I guess I'm just proving the point that Starlight is OP, and I wasn't arguing that she's not. I just don't think she sticks out all that much in a series where we have seen a lot of crazy stuff. Then again, being as capable as an Alicorn and being able to gain flight through levitation is incredible to say the least.

While ridiculous that side effect was a one time thing and a sign shes going faster than sound nothing too outlandish. I atually like Maud and Mac strength, EP strength is underused how often have they used it or how often do you remember they have powers? In a way she does stick out yeah in general her magic feats are normal in a way but ridiculous for some reason shes just as powerful as twilight as stated despite being a unicorn. It be like some out of nowhere being just as skilled as m6 talents or better or can do everything they can do.   

She adapts Starswirl's magics.  She is oh so OP.

Are you being sarcastic?

My favorite theory on this subject is the fact that:

Starlight is possibly related to Star Swirl the bearded.. a descendant if you will..

It would explain her gift in magic, understanding how Star Swirl's spells work..

or even the location of that time scroll by family knowledge and heritage..

Also, Starlight and Star Swirl both star with Star..

There are some differences though..

Like the fact that Star Swirl had a Whitish coat (similar to Celestia)

Star Swirl has yellow eyes while Starlight has blue eyes..

or the fact that Star Swirl was quirky and sorta silly, while

Starlight is fairly straightforward in her motives and nature..

Disregarding looks and personality, It would make a lot of sense for them to be related..

My favorite theory on this subject is the fact that:

Starlight is possibly related to Star Swirl the bearded.. a descendant if you will..

It would explain her gift in magic, understanding how Star Swirl's spells work..

or even the location of that time scroll by family knowledge and heritage..

Also, Starlight and Star Swirl both star with Star..

There are some differences though..

Like the fact that Star Swirl had a Whitish coat (similar to Celestia)

Star Swirl has yellow eyes while Starlight has blue eyes..

or the fact that Star Swirl was quirky and sorta silly, while

Starlight is fairly straightforward in her motives and nature..

Disregarding looks and personality, It would make a lot of sense for them to be related..

but is the comic canon though?

Not really. Twilight spent most of her life studying magic (including properties, history, lore, etc.) in general. She didn't really train to use it for force.

Starlight mentioned that she studied that one particular spell (I assume it was an attack of some sort) for years.

Then the time travelling spell. All she did was tweak it. She boasted that Starswirl had done the hard part, and that it only required manipulating to meet her needs. And when Twilight snatched her to show her what she was doing to the future, she went straight into denial (which suggests to me that perhaps she didn't fully comprehend the capabilities of the spell).

I don't really believe that she is very OP.

Totally over powered and one reason I dislike her. This whiny, arrogant, sociopathic and evil mare succeeded Starswirl when Twilight never did? Well Twilight understood friendship more than Starswirl at the end of season 3, but how could Glimmer be such a genius to finish something a powerful mage couldn't do? This ruins Lauren's original vision with Twilight as Celestia's successor, with this plot device of a character. 

Starlight Glimmer not OP in Season 5 premire but OP in finale. Twilight and friends destroy her "beautiful village" and = cutie mark idea. Starlight gets ticked starts training in combat magic to pwn Twilight later. Starlight either gets more skill or was just hiding it:

-Can levitate and shoot magic from horn(wicked OP)

-Was able to rewrite Starswirls spell

-Was able to beat an alicorn many times

Now Twilight clearly has potential for these reasons:

-Tirek fight but with all alicorn magic(more of a display of will)

-Celestia's student

-Newbie alicorn(compared to Celestia/Luna)

But for some reason she is nerfed maybe for a more suspenseful plot or because her friends aren't present...who knows there is a lot of things that could be reasons for Twily's helplessness compared to Starlight Glimmer.

Starlight Glimmer not OP in Season 5 premire but OP in finale. Twilight and friends destroy her "beautiful village" and = cutie mark idea. Starlight gets ticked starts training in combat magic to pwn Twilight later. Starlight either gets more skill or was just hiding it:

-Can levitate and shoot magic from horn(wicked OP)

-Was able to rewrite Starswirls spell

-Was able to beat an alicorn many times

Now Twilight clearly has potential for these reasons:

-Tirek fight but with all alicorn magic(more of a display of will)

-Celestia's student

-Newbie alicorn(compared to Celestia/Luna)

But for some reason she is nerfed maybe for a more suspenseful plot or because her friends aren't present...who knows there is a lot of things that could be reasons for Twily's helplessness compared to Starlight Glimmer.

Didnt she match twi in the premiere though and shes confirmed to be just as strong as TS and twilight called her the strongest unicorn she's seen. Newbie alicorn or not she does have huge magic skills and element of magic.

but is the comic canon though?

Shouldn't it be? Many events that happen in the comics are based on events that previously happened in the show..

Like the first MLP:FiM comic occurring some time after the Canterlot wedding incident.. Except Chrysalis takes over

Ponyville this time and pony-naps some certain fillies..

• Brohoof 1

Shouldn't it be? Many events that happen in the comics are based on events that previously happened in the show..

Like the first MLP:FiM comic occurring some time after the Canterlot wedding incident.. Except Chrysalis takes over

Ponyville this time and pony-naps some certain fillies..

Canon goes show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>movies/comics something that happened in comic doesnt mean canon.

Canon goes show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>movies/comics something that happened in comic doesnt mean canon.

Doesn't "canon" refer to whether or not something is genuine to the original thing..

How are the comics any less genuine than the show itself? :huh:

A lack of sound, moving pictures or.. something..?

Aaaaannnyway.. Regardless of the minimal differences between Star Swirl

and Starlight i mentioned earlier.. All the similarities do make sense.. and it

would explain almost everything strange about Starlight's OP abilities..

Doesn't "canon" refer to whether or not something is genuine to the original thing..

How are the comics any less genuine than the show itself? :huh:

A lack of sound, moving pictures or.. something..?

Aaaaannnyway.. Regardless of the minimal differences between Star Swirl

and Starlight i mentioned earlier.. All the similarities do make sense.. and it

would explain almost everything strange about Starlight's OP abilities..

non canon cause there not mentioned in show like how EG isnt canon.