Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the Deleted Scenes would have made FG better?

SolyWack

Besides the song, which undoubtedly would have been the best song in the movie, because its SO GOOD, what do you think about the deleted scenes?

I'm sure there was a reason they were cut. Maybe they would have made the movie to rushed or muddled like MMC.

But of course there is the other side that maybe they would have made the movie an unstoppable force of awesome, and easily the best movie, and way better than the ending we got, and more Sunset Shimmer sub-plots, and an awesome song, and *gasp for breath*

Can you tell which side I'm on? I do need to work on my animation skills though, so I might try to smush an animation together with the song. We'll see how that goes.

But anyway, what are your thoughts on the deleted scenes?

I agree. I really don't understand why they took it out, but I have a theory. they thought it will be too complicated for little girls to understand. that's the only ""logical"" reason I can come up with

Absolutely! The song would've made the movie better but what sticks out to me is of the deleted scenes 2 focused on sunset shimmer returning to Equestria. That's something Hasbro has been dodging since RR and I guess they didn't want to make sunset returning to Equestria a bigger topic than it is already. Hopefully in EQG 4 they finally make a decision for sunsets fate.

Also that deleted scene with Twilight and Sunset having coffee was one of my favorites and the best.

• Brohoof 1

Those scenes were really cool but keeping the song there would've introduced a subplot that would've put the movie's focus mostly on Sunset instead of sharing the spotlight with human Twilight. Right now, I wouldn't know whether or not Hasbro wants to keep Sunset in the human world or bring her back to Equestria so my best guess there would be to keep things where they are at the moment and probably introduce that idea in a future EqG film (or maybe not bring it up at all. Who knows what they would do with it?)

Wait, have you people not seen the deleted scenes with the audio commentary?

If so I strongly recommend clicking this blue link (availability of video subject to change. My Little Pony, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Equestria Girls are trademarks of Hasbro Inc. Ltd. I guess, I don't know really. Anyway the point is while Hasbro has been liberal with the scenes from the show and/or movies, thesleves, the audio commentary is a feature, belonging explicitly to the customers who purchased the DVD, thus falling into the sphere of copyright infringement or some other, I don't know that many fancy words or legal terms, and thus the video may be removed as to not harm sales of the DVDs. Hey, don't pester me about it - I'm just a warning sign!)

Just to sum it up:

• The Duet:

The crew really loved the duet and were relieved saddened to have had to scrap it, the reason being they could not fit in the "subplot" (as the youngsters call it) of Sunset Shimmer being homesick. They do not mention this, but let me tell you that in films in general and in children films even more so - "less is more". You always want to avoid putting too much of anything, in this case the film already had a main storyline with enough caused tension/pressure for the protagonists, which is what you need for any film - the addition of Sunset's desire to return to Equestria would add to it, but not in the linear way you would want and it would cause the viewer to lose track of a portion of the entire concept. I will not repeat this point again, but it is valid for each deleted scene.

• The Cafe Scene:

This scene could would certainly cause confusion as to which Twilight was which and even if it didn't (which it wouldn't have) it would still be problematic, as then Twilight would either have to pay a visit to her friends or disappear without doing so, which would be strange and if she did visit her friends she would have to help them, making her a "magical ringer" Sunset calls on in time of need. Instead going the way of Princess Twilight being unreachable allows the film to explore Sunset's character more by putting her in charge of the situation and developing her in this group of friends.

In addition you cannot have too many main characters.

While you know there are six or seven main characters, in reality (in the films and in the television show) the focus is only on one or two, at most, at the same time. The easiest example being the first Equestria Movie - while you have six main characters, the action only ever mainly revolves around Twilight. This is mandatory in film, even if you gather everybody's favourite characters, you cannot put them all into focus or the film will become mush. Even though I said two at most - this is allowed for the television format, but in a film it is best to have a single main character and a cast of supporting "main" characters, that is why Twilight's presence would have been even more problematic.

• The Alternate Ending:

Having this ending would change three things:

1. Human Twilight would have to not be in Canterlot High and not be with her new friends.

2. Crystal Prep's students would have to become protagonists or, at the very least, friendly semi-protagonists (or whatever) which limits some interactions with them - namely, it voids the future possibility of more authentic rivalry. (Personally I can't wait for the movie where each of our beloved characters goes against her "opposite" self)

3. Human Twilight would not be able to be an integral part of future events. She would have to visit and be more of a guest appearance, returning to Crystal Prep every time, which would wear thin quite quickly.

I am skipping the Hallway Scene, as what I have said about the duet is completely valid for it, as well.

Edited by No one

(edited)

Wait, have you people not seen the deleted scenes with the audio commentary?

If so I strongly recommend clicking this blue link (availability of video subject to change. My Little Pony, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Equestria Girls are trademarks of Hasbro Inc. Ltd. I guess, I don't know really. Anyway the point is while Hasbro has been liberal with the scenes from the show and/or movies, thesleves, the audio commentary is a feature, belonging explicitly to the customers who purchased the DVD, thus falling into the sphere of copyright infringement or some other, I don't know that many fancy words or legal terms, and thus the video may be removed as to not harm sales of the DVDs. Hey, don't pester me about it - I'm just a warning sign!)

Just to sum it up:

• The Duet:

The crew really loved the duet and were relieved saddened to have had to scrap it, the reason being they could not fit in the "subplot" (as the youngsters call it) of Sunset Shimmer being homesick. They do not mention this, but let me tell you that in films in general and in children films even more so - "less is more". You always want to avoid putting too much of anything, in this case the film already had a main storyline with enough caused tension/pressure for the protagonists, which is what you need for any film - the addition of Sunset's desire to return to Equestria would add to it, but not in the linear way you would want and it would cause the viewer to lose track of a portion of the entire concept. I will not repeat this point again, but it is valid for each deleted scene.

• The Cafe Scene:

This scene could would certainly cause confusion as to which Twilight was which and even if it didn't (which it wouldn't have) it would still be problematic, as then Twilight would either have to pay a visit to her friends or disappear without doing so, which would be strange and if she did visit her friends she would have to help them, making her a "magical ringer" Sunset calls on in time of need. Instead going the way of Princess Twilight being unreachable allows the film to explore Sunset's character more by putting her in charge of the situation and developing her in this group of friends.

In addition you cannot have too many main characters.

While you know there are six or seven main characters, in reality (in the films and in the television show) the focus is only on one or two, at most, at the same time. The easiest example being the first Equestria Movie - while you have six main characters, the action only ever mainly revolves around Twilight. This is mandatory in film, even if you gather everybody's favourite characters, you cannot put them all into focus or the film will become mush. Even though I said two at most - this is allowed for the television format, but in a film it is best to have a single main character and a cast of supporting "main" characters, that is why Twilight's presence would have been even more problematic.

• The Alternate Ending:

Having this ending would change three things:

1. Human Twilight would have to not be in Canterlot High and not be with her new friends.

2. Crystal Prep's students would have to become protagonists or, at the very least, friendly semi-protagonists (or whatever) which limits some interactions with them - namely, it voids the future possibility of more authentic rivalry. (Personally I can't wait for the movie where each of our beloved characters goes against her "opposite" self)

3. Human Twilight would not be able to be an integral part of future events. She would have to visit and be more of a guest appearance, returning to Crystal Prep every time, which would wear thin quite quickly.

I am skipping the Hallway Scene, as what I have said about the duet is completely valid for it, as well.

Most of those would seem very weak reasons on their own, but I do want to commend your point about The Cafe scene. A big part of the movie proper was how Sunset solved the problem without Twilight.

And even if Twilight didn't go to see her friends and just returned to Equestria (unlikely she would do that), she still would have given Sunset that "Shoulder to cry on", which would in turn no longer allow Sunset to win independantly.

Although I do think they still could have used a lot of this WITHOUT Twilight coming over. Sunset could have easily had these homesick blues with only the humane 5. Thus rendering the hallway scene, the song, and the alterante ending usable.

And I wished they'd done so. Disappointing, but that means they almost have to use the concept next movie, with full attention.

Glass Half Full I guess.

Edited by AppleJack_Wack

I would have liked it if they had at least kept the duet in.

I think the ending they went with, having Twilight enroll in Canterlot High similar to how Twilight decided to stay in Ponyville, was the better of the two, but the duet would have added a nice little addition to Sunset's character. From what I've heard, it was cut because not only did they not want to make it seem like Sunset didn't like living in the human world, but with future EQG's movie's already planned they didn't want to bring up the potential for Sunset to return to Equestria indefinitely. Which is a real shame in the end. 

The Cafe Scene wouldn't have worked because Twilight coming to canterlot high just for that one scene would raise questions about why she couldn't have helped out the others like in the first two movies.

And I like the movie's ending over the alternate ending.

But I would have liked to see the duet and maybe find other ways to incorporate Sunset's subplot into the movie.

Most of those would seem very weak reasons on their own[...]

Well, yes, it is in their tandem that the drawbacks outweigh the contribution. And they are woven together, you cannot look at them separately and still expect a good result (movie).

Unless you mean the reasons I give are weak. Then I would have a bone to pick with you. :okiedokielokie: 

kidding

Edited by No one

The deleted scenes are just going to be moved to the fourth film anyway, where they'll make more sense. Sunset is homesick and misses doing magical research and solving magical mysteries through magic she understands, but she doesn't understand how Human magic works, so she feels inadequate. Cometh the "Legend of Everfree" where she will be challenged to understand Human world magic once again and finally crack it. Her need for mystical adventure will finally be satiated once again.

Personally I think Everfree should be the last movie and they should consider making a series.

Well, yes, it is in their tandem that the drawbacks outweigh the contribution. And they are woven together, you cannot look at them separately and still expect a good result (movie).

Unless you mean the reasons I give are weak. Then I would have a bone to pick with you. :okiedokielokie:

kidding

No of course not. We can agree that all of them together wouldn't have worked.

The theme of individualism, a central part of the movie, would not have worked at all. The only question is: Was that theme worth more than the scenes thrown out?

We'll not know until possibly Legends of Everfree, or perhaps even never.

Personally I think the movie was better as it was. As much as I want to see a homesick Sunset plot, it really needs to be a main plot in a movie instead of the small subplot it would've been in Friendship Games. And one of the best parts of Friendship Games was Sunset solving the problem without Princess Twilight's help.