Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has MLP made you a better person?

DivineMist1000

I can safely say that it has for me! I've learned that you need to know how to forgive and forget and stop dwelling on things in the past! I can always count on my friends and my to help me through all the dark days and I've learned that being honest about yourself is best for everyone!

IMG_2541.thumb.JPG.9b2726aacd21587ec8dd917c6a99102b.JPG

Well, MLP introduced me to the fandom, and the fandom introduced me to quite a few new friends (some of them better than friends :toldya:) and helped me be more open-minded and receptive to consuming new media.

It also introduced me to some new enemies, however, and the fandom can be quite a toxic place sometimes. But I guess learning to deal with those things is a good thing too.

• Brohoof 2

The show hasn’t made into a better person. Has it taught me some good things? Yes, of course. What’s made me a better person is personal experiences.

• Brohoof 3

In a sense, yes. It has actually helped me appreciate true friends more and it at least gave me a teensy bit of confidence to start making signatures and such. Now of course I am still like...95% flawed with many issues and confidence problems, but this show does provide good reminders of what we should appreciate most and cherish. For what it is worth, the show improved at least a little bit, but I be who I be. 

• Brohoof 2

Where do I begin? :twi: Before I stumbled across this show, I was a very different person. :( I never respected others, I constantly complained about everything and I'll even say I was quite a hard person to talk to. :dry: From the moment I started watching FiM, all of that started to change. :mlp_pinkie: It took a while to get there but now, I can finally say that none of those animosities are there anymore. :mlp_yeehaa: I care so much about every friend I've made and every morning, the very first thing I do is go on here to see what I've missed. :mlp_rarity: It's all because of all of you and these beautiful ponies that everything in my life now makes sense.

A5A8A9A0-9774-41C3-BC4A-E596DDC296C1.gif

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, yes they changed me into a better person. If i didn't discover this show and this community i still have no friends in my life, which is a bit sad to me... :( but thanks to the mane six, i finally made some new friends to talk to! :pinkie:

The mane six will always be my first and best friends of my life. :fluttershy:

TepidPrestigiousAmazontreeboa-max-1mb.gif.ad28735be5570c6243e7974c229b6679.gif

• Brohoof 1

It hasn’t really made me into anyone I wasn’t already: I’m still me. What is has done is broaden the world in which I lived in some positive ways. I love the ponies, I love their stories, and I never really participated in a fandom quite in the same way. I’m a fan of many things but MLP is the only one where I take an active role among other fans. I won’t say I’m necessarily a better person for all this, but definitely a happier one. 

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Dreambiscuit said:

It hasn’t really made me into anyone I wasn’t already: I’m still me. What is has done is broaden the world in which I lived in some positive ways. I love the ponies, I love their stories, and I never really participated in a fandom quite in the same way. I’m a fan of many things but MLP is the only one where I take an active role among other fans. I won’t say I’m necessarily a better person for all this, but definitely a happier one. 

Same here, Dreamy. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

The show hasn’t made into a better person. Has it taught me some good things? Yes, of course. What’s made me a better person is personal experiences.

In a way; I'm the same. I'm am the pretty much the same as I was before the show started. Most changes that came were due to personal experiences.

That said; the shows did bring me into contact with people whom I consider precious friends that I never would've met otherwise, and I've also found love as well. :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 2

I believe it definitely has! Since watching the show, I've learned that it's okay to be different and that it's best to do the things you enjoy without letting haters sidetrack you. I've met lots of amazing friends through this site, and I would be considerably lonelier and more insecure without them. MLP helped me move out of the cringey phase of my early teenage years, and best of all, it gave me somepony to love in the form of Lyra Heartstrings. :arethosehands::wub:

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it made me a better person per se, but it did made me vicariously happy to see friends being friends. It did however made me go a little out there and try to engage with the fandom in some way, something I've never done. It made me have a sort of hobby again and something to look forward to. So yeah, it did improve something on me. 

No, it hasn't made me a better person. I'm still the same as I was before I joined the fandom though this isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, I have learned to appreciate some of the more intricate details that the show was able to convey.

I wouldn't say it made me a better person but it did make my life better. It led me to find many of the friends I have today (through these forums), even my SO and it did make me happier whenever I watched the show.

• Brohoof 1

I think it may have made me a little more social and more open to meeting new people, but mainly just online with other fans of the show. It definitely made my life better as I’ve met lots of people through this community and I have so many memories throughout the past nearly 10 years.

Lots of people have met love through MLP as well, me included :squee: 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

No, I am still an awful human being. But it is better to accept the truth than to dwell on what could have been. I am the messed up result of a messed up family environment. And when I look at the wrongness of this world, which the world seems intent on showing back to me, it makes me writhe from within. Not because I am better than the world. But because it reminds me so much of myself.
I am not a good person when I am not suffering. And this prolonged sensation of internal suffering is precisely because I am constantly supressing who I am. But I don't want to be like that because I know the harm this has caused to our family. And yet I don't have a choice. Either I become the traumatized and abusive person that this life has made me into, or I continue suffering against myself in a hopeless situation, until I say enough and I end it all. Because it hurts to hold back this trauma response. And that is all it is.
So, I dream of a better place and a better "me". Because this me feels like a shadow of my former self. Like a falsification of who I really am, that is how I feel. Like a character I have to impersonate in order to hide the trauma response that is underneath. The real me who is not very nice.

And the show does help me, especially for someone who did not experience childhood. But for the most part it is a distraction from a reality that is always staring at me. One that makes me feel like I am constantly looking for excuses to escape myself. Because I have no peace due to the trauma, which can be clearly exemplified in the erratic and volatile nature of my posts. But yeah, the show is nice, though.

• 1 month later...

I think "bronies" like to think of themselves often/associate themselves with a general philosophy that is more so for an outward sense of social gratitude, more so than it is, the show has ACTUALLY changed them... It's normal to put your loved ones and close friends first, nobody is blaming you, just don't think of yourself as like Princess Twilight or anything when it comes to reaching out, making even the worst or strangest of individuals feel included or like less of an outcast... No, bronies can be VERY EXCLUSIVE, like "this is our friend group, we can talk to you and acknowledge your existence, but we're only doing it so we don't look as bad outwardly as we do when we talk about you when you aren't around". I TOTALLY FEEL having a meaningful friendship with someone, it's up to you who you prioritize on your life, feel no guilt either way... Just STOP PRETENDING your a Mary sue Twilight type, that's socially evolved beyond your years for enjoying media themed around something ALL OF US, would love to experience.. no you think certain ppl are weird, you think certain ppl are gross, you think certain ppl are wrong, it's all human, but MOST OF YOU, will scroll right past this, your the "exclusive bronies" I'm not mr.popular around the forums, I'm not one of your "friends", you will scroll right past me looking for someone you DO LIKE, someone you KNOW YOU AGREE WITH, me I'm just a pest that makes you have to put in extra effort to understand his thoughts and act civil enough to regard as just as human as you are, even if I have opinions and insights you may not like or want to hear...