Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cosplay or Crossplay? Which do you do, and what costumes have you done?

gamerbrash

I love cosplay but I haven't really had many opportunities to do costumes I want because I don't know how to sew and it's way too expensive. Not to mention that I don't have the time to make a complicated costume even if I knew how.

The times I have cosplayed though has mostly been on Halloween parties. Since I'm a huge horror fan I've done a couple of horror film costumes. Sadly I don't have any pictures to share cause I've been stupid enough to not have my picture taken while in the costumes.. *shrug* so here's some pics of characters I've been

For pretty much all those costumes (especially the jason one) I had to tape a bunch of toilet paper to my body to make me look bigger cause I'm so skinny so it wouldn't look good otherwise xD

I really really want to do a Freddy Krueger costume but if I'm doing it I wanna go all the way with a silicone mask. It'll take many years to get everything but at least I got the most important part already (:

Aside from horror stuff I've only done two costumes which I wore during an anime convention:

Akihisa Yoshii in a pink maid costume from the anime Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

sig-4739562.7545a612d8aabd27eab93d1fe62d

Which you can find a pic of me in on the forums, but you'll have to find it yourself :s

I've also crossdressed as Shimakaze from Kantai Collection.... not gonna post a pic of that though, lol.

Those times my body type actually was in my favor :3

For this summer's con I wanna do something fun but I really don't know what! I need help :(

I wanna do a cute character that doesn't require me to spend a billion dollars on the costume. My ideas so far are Totsuka Saika ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGIAYZyUoAAkOAa.png) and Hideyoshi Kinoshita as a cat ( http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bakatotest/images/9/94/Hideyoshi_Summon_Bakeneko.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20111002084638 )

• 1 year later...

I'm not much of a cosplayer, but I like looking at costumes online. I think it would be fun to do, but I don't really have the money for it.

(edited)

I love cosplay but I don't really have the time or really the extra cash to do so. I can't even sew, so I'd have to pay someone to custom tailor it to me, or buy a pre-made one. So it gets very pricey.

However, I have cosplayed in the past and it's quite fun. It's a shame I can't really afford it. Oh and no Crossplay for me. People automatically assume that because I'm gay I want to crossdress, and let me tell you that is a steryotype. I dislike women's clothing. Highly.

Edited by Memento Mori

I have friends who do crossplay ... in fact my ex boyfriend has dressed as a girl many times ... he says he is not homosexual (and I believe him) but he also has attitudes that make him look bisexual. :lol:

Anyway ... from my side, I'm a retired cosplayer, the crossplay never caught my attention ... except if it's Link from 'The Legend of Zelda' 'I love Link! but honestly that of dressing me as a boy ... nah, I like to look feminine or like a strong girl! :fluttershy:

you should feel comfortable with your stuff ... with respect to religion ... really Christians are not anime lovers to start ... or anything Nerd, I do not blame them ... after all popular culture he wants to show that demons and sorcery are good and ... that's not right. Even so, I'm not the type to judge. I think that if you feel confident about who you are the other should not be an impediment to your tastes ... even so I can not say much about it because I do not know your thoughts or deeper feelings ... so I'll give you some advice.

Have fun ... if it is a stage you want to live, live it ... but without ceasing to be yourself and without harming others, do what makes you happy and do not do anything that makes you sad or uncomfortable. Many hugs and I hope you feel better with yourself soon :twi:

4 hours ago, Berry-Bliss-Sundae said:

you should feel comfortable with your stuff ... with respect to religion ... really Christians are not anime lovers to start ... or anything Nerd, I do not blame them ... after all popular culture he wants to show that demons and sorcery are good and ... that's not right.

Depends on the context of the show really. A lot of demons depicted in Anime are villians. But those that are seen as "good" or "neutral" are completely a thing. In different religions not all demons are considered evil entities. Some are quite benign, and some even help humans when lost or hurt! Demon is just a word that was popularised to connoate bad, mostly by Christianity itself, (not always Christianity) but it was the biggest vehicle of moving that belief around. So, when you think of Japan, there are indeed those demons that are neutral or just help humans in general, and since Anime comes from Japan, well---you see where I'm going with this. ^__^ Demon is more of a umbrella word for a supernatural creature that has certain aspects/powers/abilities or features.

Sorcery, is sort of a negative connative word as well. Most Christians or even uneducated people believe I do Sorcery. I have an Altar and do rituals. The difference you have to remember is this: White Magic=Good. It helps, heals and protects. Black Magic=Bad. Evil, harms and is dangerous to others and the caster. 
And if you want to talk in a "fictional world" sense, think Harry Potter. There are good spells, used for protection, light, and simple household chores even. Bad spells, the ones considered tainted, that torture, main and kill. Also, in a sense, if you think about it, defensive spells themselves, are just like say---a human using a weapon or martial arts to defend themselves. It's just the way that world operates, they use magic themselves, but there is an obvious and given line between good and bad spells.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not like, angry or anything, just bringing up a point for conversation. But as for on the cosplay conversation---I think it's interesting that your guy is straight and will still dress as a female, that's really great. Not a lot of straight guys are willing to do that! ^_^

14 hours ago, Memento Mori said:

Sorry for the rant, I'm not like, angry or anything, just bringing up a point for conversation. But as for on the cosplay conversation---I think it's interesting that your guy is straight and will still dress as a female, that's really great. Not a lot of straight guys are willing to do that! ^_^

ex boyfriend, but now we are friends! ^_^

________

Spoiler

Maybe my point of view is something closed, maybe it's because of my Latin American roots ... I do not know ...

what I know is that 'magic', 'sorcery' has never been considered a good thing ... at least I'm going to speak for me ... my father was 'santero' are people who dress like '' mama odie '' character that appears in '' the princess and the frog ''. there are several branches in santeria ... but they are commonly people who work with the dead, readings of the future, altars for the dead, some are hired to do bad things to other people ... from leaving them bankrupt, like destitute, creating conflicts in your family / marriage, even to death to these affected people! there are also 'good spells' one or other so you have money... love...but I feel that is playing dirty ... people can not be forced to love you and money does not come alone, you have to work to get it.

My dad has left that with the years, but what I've seen thanks to his friends ... is that most of these 'wizards' use dark rituals, not to mention that the majority scam ... play with the feelings of people to steal your money, they also condemn your own soul or the people who participate in that. that is why I do not trust and I will never trust those people who say '' I have a ritual that will help you in money and love '' or similar things ... if you have a problem, nobody except you can solve it.

even so, it's just an opinion, I enjoy shows, books or videogames that include magic elements because they seem fun ... but without ceasing to be aware that, in real life, that's not a good thing. Like, as I said, maybe I'm a little closed mind in that sense. :adorkable:

(edited)

I’ve thought of cosplaying as part of a public reaction experiment of sorts - I like those kinds of YouTube videos. I originally thought of donning a plaid pleated skirt, pantyhose, and a green cardigan for a Moondancer look, but I’d look more like a schoolgirl nerd who’d shaved her head and had chest surgery gone wrong :lol:

Rocking Sunburst’s cloak and orange look would be more challenging but in a fun way. Besides, I love the dude and I already wear glasses.

Spoiler

The problem is that these Harry Potter fans are so delusional that for them ANYONE with circular glasses and/or a cloak of any kind automatically sexually identifies as Harry… like WTF :scoots:

Edited by Wiz Ahmad

I've only done one cosplay, that was hardly a cosplay really. I went to school on a dress-up day at school (Farmer's Day) as human Big Mac from EQG.

I would probably do both, and I could probably pull both off. I've thought I could do something like I did for that dress-up day except as Jenos from Paladins (if he were a bit more like an average person) for a convention in San Antonio a few months from now. I also probably could pull off a crossplay pretty well if I wanted to, with how I usually look like a lesbian girl anyways.

yeah i went to a Con a Blake from RWBY, it was fun

(besides whatever we do can't be half as odd as those guys who dress in skin tight latex tracer and d'va overwatch costumes, am i right?)

I've mostly cosplayed, but I haven't cosplayed in a few years. I've been wanting to get back into cosplay, but I haven't had any ideas on what to cosplay as. I have cosplayed as Naruto Uzumaki from Naruto, Naruto Six Paths Sage Mode from Naruto, as well as Madara Uchiha from Naruto. I think I need to have more variety in my cosplay. :lol: 

318053_467825456615515_776296021_n.jpg?_

13522017_1198645173479676_57038265088038

12507224_10204368750133846_4545213280736

• Brohoof 1