Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Season Six will probably be Spike's best season!

FlareGun45

This post contains spoilers!

To the people who complain that Spike's been treated poorly during a majority of the show, you may no longer need to complain! All that's about to change! It's no guarantee though, but there have been strong hints.

Now some people have been complaining about all CMC episodes have been the same, them trying to get their cutie marks, but then it finally happened on Crusaders of the Lost Mark. Well, there's a new episode coming, Gauntlet of Fire, the fifth episode of the season. It's about Spike needing to save his friends from dragons, and the only way to do it is to beat a competition to receive the title of Dragon Lord. Either way that episode goes, it's probably gonna start a new story arc for him - trying to get the dragons and the ponies to have peace, and actually be friends. Proving that there are more dragons like him. I'm sure there is. Even though many dragons care about greed, there's still hope for them to change. It's like helping the griffons out  in The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone. This is probably what's going to give Spike his calling in life - his destiny, which I've been hoping for a long time!

There also have been reports of Hearth's Warming Dragons. There's a Hearth's Warming episode coming soon (since there's a Hearth's Warming song confirmed), and it's probably gonna be a Spike episode, and probably one of his best. Him trying to get the dragons to join in with the festivities and the friendship, but the other ponies don't seem to trust them. This is all theories though, but very likely ones.

One more thing I got for this season is Spike's part in the season premiere. Now I don't think he's gonna be saving the Crystal Empire a third time. In fact, I don't think he's even going to help the Mane Six that much with Flurry Heart, but there's actually something I wanted more from him. 

post-11493-0-34905900-1458440572_thumb.jpg

post-11493-0-87097200-1458440572_thumb.jpg

Both of these screenshots are from the "season six is coming" teaser on the MLP Facebook page, and both of them show Starlight Glimmer with Spike. Now this is something I really wanted to happen. I know alot of people don't want Starlight to be a main character, but if we're lucky, perhaps she might not be part of the group completely, but perhaps a pal for Spike. I've been waiting for something like to happen: Spike getting a friend of his own. He's probably gonna spend the episode helping Starlight reunite with Sunburst. I hope so at least. It's not too big of a part for him, but it ain't too small either! Just right! Judging by how Starlight was feeling in the 2-minute sneak peek, the Mane Six may not be the friends she's looking for, since she doesn't seem to be the hugging sort or one to talk act all crazy like them. Perhaps she prefers someone snarky and a little more quiet like Spike, and probably someone she can relate to.

So what do you think? Do you agree with me on this? Do you think Starlight and Spike are gonna be really good friends? Do you think Spike is actually going to get what he deserves - to have the same potential as everypony else?

Shorter summary of the post for the tl;dr people:

Spike's getting a new title and maybe a new arc to help dragons and ponies unite, and he's probably gonna spend a majority of the premiere helping Starlight reunite with Sunburst, thus also creating a friendship bond between Spike and Starlight. 

• Brohoof 18

A pal for Spike? I have a feeling that might probably work better than Starlight actually joining the Mane Six.

It would definitely give him much-needed character development, too.

Edited by PacificGreen
  • Brohoof 7

Oh yes please I never realized how much I want this. Starlight and Spike would be amazing as friends. Starlight will get a friend she can always count on and learn from, and Spike can realize that there are those inspired by him.

I want this so much!

• Brohoof 7

Wow actually, that be awesome for Spike to have his own friend. I mean sure we heard of Big mac but that is it. I mean all of Twilight friends treat him with respect, mostly(looking at you rarity -_-) but Twilight got the hugs, Twilight got the goodbye, Twilight got the love , he didn't

Edited by BlinkZ
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

That's what I've been saying! If friendship is supposed to be magic, why doesn't Spike have his own friend to talk to? I know he's Twilight's friend, but she's more like a mom or sister to him. Who's gonna be around when Twilight and the others are off saving the day, leaving him home alone? If this happens, I'm sure Spike won't care if he's a hero or not, or if he's important, because he'll know at least somepony does!

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 3

That's what I've been saying! If friendship is supposed to be magic, why doesn't Spike have his own friend to talk to? I know he's Twilight's friend, but she's more like a mom or sister to him. Who's gonna be around when Twilight and the others are off saving the day, leaving him home alone? If this happens, I'm sure Spike won't care if he's a hero or not, or if he's important, because he'll know at least somepony does!

Yeah, I can't help but feel for the guy. Twilight is more like a mother to him, we saw Fluttershy opt out of spending time with him in the Season 5 premiere, Rarity is his crush and more often than not babies him, for a time he saw AJ as more of a savior and hero than a true friend, and we don't really see much of him with Rainbow and Pinkie. Although in Fall Weather Friends he and Pinkie seemed like pretty good pals.

And even though we know he has friends such as Big Mac and Pony Joe, those are both avenues that haven't really been explored.

He can serve as Starlight's moral compass, and Starlight can serve as a reminder of his worth. I can really see a friendship between them being one of the best in the series. These are two characters who, even though there are those who actually enjoy them as characters (myself included), tend to get a bunch of flak from both fans and characters in the show. This could be the best way to maximize both their potential and show what they have to offer.

Unfortunately I'm not so sure if this is what they'll be doing with the show. So we're probably getting our hopes up for nothing.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Yeah, I can't help but feel for the guy. Twilight is more like a mother to him, we saw Fluttershy opt out of spending time with him in the Season 5 premiere, Rarity is his crush and more often than not babies him, for a time he saw AJ as more of a savior and hero than a true friend, and we don't really see much of him with Rainbow and Pinkie. Although in Fall Weather Friends he and Pinkie seemed like pretty good pals.

And even though we know he has friends such as Big Mac and Pony Joe, those are both avenues that haven't really been explored.

He can serve as Starlight's moral compass, and Starlight can serve as a reminder of his worth. I can really see a friendship between them being one of the best in the series. These are two characters who, even though there are those who actually enjoy them as characters (myself included), tend to get a bunch of flak from both fans and characters in the show. This could be the best way to maximize both their potential and show what they have to offer.

Unfortunately I'm not so sure if this is what they'll be doing with the show. So we're probably getting our hopes up for nothing.

Well, let's hope it actually does happen. If not in the premiere, then eventually soon after. The writers know people aren't satisfied with Spike's part, and I think they know that people don't want Starlight to actually be a main character. If they do realize both of these, why not make this happen? This is probably the one thing that'll satisfy my Spike urges, and probably many others too! I can let the show end and I'll be in peace! I mean I'm not saying I want the show to end right away. I'm just saying, I don't want the show to end, until I feel satisfied enough. If they end the show, and Spike hasn't changed one bit, then I'm probably gonna feel questioned by the whole "friendship is magic" thing when it comes to other species non-pony. Spike being a doormat instead of being an example of friendship isn't a very inspiring thing for a show such as this one to do. 

Edited by MegaSean45

Well, I expect MORE of spike at least. He's been getting more screentime each season as they've started to realize that he has fans and that he's a surrogate for the male fans of the show, plus he's got a crapton of REALLY expensive toys to sell.

As to whether or not that will translate to BETTER for him, that will remain to be seen. Spike is a notoriously hard character for the writers to write well, with him often having alot of the lower quality episodes of a season.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I expect MORE of spike at least. He's been getting more screentime each season as they've started to realize that he has fans and that he's a surrogate for the male fans of the show, plus he's got a crapton of REALLY expensive toys to sell.

As to whether or not that will translate to BETTER for him, that will remain to be seen. Spike is a notoriously hard character for the writers to write well, with him often having alot of the lower quality episodes of a season.

Yeah, Spike definitely has had the most variations in personality. We've seen:

-Sarcastic Spike

-Greedy Spike

-Clumsy Spike-

-Laughingstock Spike

-Unintelligent Spike

I do wish they would give Spike a more solid personality. He seems so different in each of his episodes, unlike the other characters who for the most part have a solid personality that their actions are based around.

Personally, I like Spike's depictions in Lesson Zero and What About Discord. A Spike who looks out for the greater good and another's well-being, analytical and helpful, and just a slight bit sarcastic with some amazing deadpan.

That's the Spike I would love to see more of.

• Brohoof 2

MORE Spike isn't what we need. BETTER Spike is what we need! ;) Really, if he's left out of the Mane Six's adventures, then so be it. At least he'll have someone to keep him company, and also having a destiny, proving he's worth-while not just by being a side-kick.

• Brohoof 2

MORE Spike isn't what we need. BETTER Spike is what we need! ;) Really, if he's left out of the Mane Six's adventures, then so be it. At least he'll have someone to keep him company, and also having a destiny, proving he's worth-while not just by being a side-kick.

So how would the map summon HIM though. he doesn't have a mark of his own. I mean he has a thrown of his own so that had to mean SOMETHING right...right..unless he really attached to twilight at the hip which is just sad to think about

Edited by BlinkZ
  • Brohoof 1

Take notes Hasbro. If you want to easily make me like Starlight, make her be Spike's buddy. I have been quite vocal with my disliking of Starlight right now, but if she could actually become like a best friend to Spike, that would be soooooo nice to see. Spike would get more love AND it would be a good way to show us that she has changed for the better. Even with her crappy redemption, I wouldn't care about that, if this did happen. 

While Spike does have the mane 6 as friends, we never see much bonding between them and him. If we could see some episodes where he goes on an adventure with Starlight, that would be wonderful. Even thinking about it makes me want to like Starlight more, we'll just have to wait. 

• Brohoof 4

It looks like a step in the right direction. One of the biggest problems with Spike's characterization, other than his lack of development and consistency, is how little awareness of him the rest of the Mane 6 have. Pairing an underdog like him up with Starlight (especially given her past fixation on "equality") may work out well for both of them, although I have my doubts that Starlight can be considered an underdog.

I'll wait until I see the episodes to judge where he's gone, though.

• Brohoof 2

If this were to be true, than it could be really interesting.

Not only would this be able to give Spike something of importance to do through the season, it could also give Starlight something to differentiate herself from Sunset Shimmer and possibly make me like her more.

• Brohoof 1

I dont think so... he doesnt really have any potential as a character.

they should really refrain from using him as a main character in ANY episode... there is a good reason why it never works.

And I really hope Starlight doesnt get TOO involved with that boring character... she is too amazing for him.

• Brohoof 1

I know alot of people don't want Starlight to be a main character, but if we're lucky, perhaps she might not be part of the group completely, but perhaps a pal for Spike.

Greenlight ^this s*** at once, Hasbro.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

You think Spike will interact with the Christmas dragons?

He's gonna be the possible dragon lord, why wouldn't he? And if he doesn't become one, that doesn't mean this story arc won't still happen.

• Brohoof 1

I guess I could see Spike finding a kindred spirit in Starlight in that she has an unrequited love for Starburst, and that would make for a good way for them to have something in common.

But I think initially he should be mistrustful of Starlight after what she did. Spike is extremely protective of his friends, especially Twilight, so in my perfect world one of the subplots in the premiere would be for Spike to learn to trust Starlight.

But since so much time has passed since the finale (enough time to birth a new pony) they'll probably already be treating her as an equal.

I'm cautiously excited for the Gauntlet of Fire episode.

Calling the episode now: Twilight uses an age Spell to turn spike into an adult dragon and that's how he's able to compete in the gauntlet.

The bully dragons also return as his opponents in the episode.

"Season 6 will probably be Spike's Best Season" 

Not that that will take much... :maud:

I actually think Spike was pretty good in S1 and S2; He tended to be treated as a competent Sidekick/assistant who snarked at twilight to contrast her neurosis.

He kind of had a "Dumb/kid" switch thrown in S3 onward when they made Twilight no longer nearly as neurotic (Invalidating his previous role that he'd had in episodes like Lesson zero) and started actually giving him dedicated episodes.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1

I guess I could see Spike finding a kindred spirit in Starlight in that she has an unrequited love for Starburst, and that would make for a good way for them to have something in common.

But I think initially he should be mistrustful of Starlight after what she did. Spike is extremely protective of his friends, especially Twilight, so in my perfect world one of the subplots in the premiere would be for Spike to learn to trust Starlight.

But since so much time has passed since the finale (enough time to birth a new pony) they'll probably already be treating her as an equal.

Spike learn to trust Starli- whaaaaat? Can he teach someone else a friendship lesson for a change? After all his time with Twilight, he should be an expert by now. Not perfect though, just him being the reasonable one. This is Starlight's plot, not Spike's, so he's not the one learning, unless this was one of his episodes. Something like, "Starlight, you need to understand that Twilight and the others have forgiven you for what you did. If that can happen, why can't you forgive Sunburst for one little mistake?"

Besides, Twilight trusts her now. If she does, Spike does too.