Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Upon recount, there are actually eight alicorns

ManaMinori

Since the series is merely a commercial to promote the toyline, the toyline is the main canon, while the animated series is secondary. So looking at the long running Friendship is Magic toyline, I see we actually have a whopping total of EIGHT Alicorn princesses. Princess Sunbutt, Princess Luna, Princess Twilight, Princess Cadance, Princess Skyla, Princess Gold Lily, Princess Sterling, and finally Princess Flurry Heart.

I doubt Gold Lily, Sterling, or Skyla will ever be shown in show canon, but since the show was created to promote the toyline, their existence is still canon, because toyline first. Still, I wish these three would be given backstory in a chapter book or something.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see the show as narrative bound to all elements of the toy line just because Hasbro utilizes the show to promote the line. Only when Hasbro instructs the show staff on a specific implementation.

• Brohoof 2

Since the series is merely a commercial to promote the toyline, the toyline is the main canon, while the animated series is secondary. So looking at the long running Friendship is Magic toyline, I see we actually have a whopping total of EIGHT Alicorn princesses. Princess Sunbutt, Princess Luna, Princess Twilight, Princess Cadance, Princess Skyla, Princess Gold Lily, Princess Sterling, and finally Princess Flurry Heart.

I doubt Gold Lily, Sterling, or Skyla will ever be shown in show canon, but since the show was created to promote the toyline, their existence is still canon, because toyline first. Still, I wish these three would be given backstory in a chapter book or something.

They might be long dead alicorns from centuries past, though, or even future alicorns who've yet to be born.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see the show as narrative bound to all elements of the toy line just because Hasbro utilizes the show to promote the line. Only when Hasbro instructs the show staff on a specific implementation.

of course not. But that doesn't change the fact that the toyline is the priority, and so comes first in canon rank, or that the series works for the toyline. So characters in the toyline- with it being first tier canon to Hasbro, are canon.
  • Brohoof 1

of course not. But that doesn't change the fact that the toyline is the priority, and so comes first in canon rank, or that the series works for the toyline. So characters in the toyline- with it being first tier canon to Hasbro, are canon.

To me, fiscal priority and narrative isn't an equivalence.

• Brohoof 4

There's also the alicorn princess mentioned in the show as a historical figure. The one that lost her kingdom due to the love poison. Given the love poison actually worked, the possibility that there was a historical ponythat was a princess who was affected by it is reasonably likely. The depiction of her being an allicorn might have been a later artist taking liberties. (The artist only knows of Celestia, and maybe Luna depending on exactly when the drawing was done, and so assumes that all princesses are alicorns and draws her that way.)

They might be long dead alicorns from centuries past, though, or even future alicorns who've yet to be born.

when has Hasbro made toys of a long dead character in mlp? If they were centuries old and dead- thus not being relevant to Friendship is Magic, they wouldn't have shown up in the toyline era, in which Pinkie and Fluttershy also exist

when has Hasbro made toys of a long dead character in mlp? If they were centuries old and dead- thus not being relevant to Friendship is Magic, they wouldn't have shown up in the toyline era, in which Pinkie and Fluttershy also exist

Other toyline ponies could feasibly be living in one of the half a dozen Equestrian settlements the show's yet to spotlight. But alicorn princesses? That's something pretty major for us to never have heard of or seen, if they were still alive and/or relevant.

Other toyline ponies could feasibly be living in one of the half a dozen Equestrian settlements the show's yet to spotlight. But alicorn princesses? That's something pretty major for us to never have heard of or seen, if they were still alive and/or relevant.

since they were made during Friendship is Magic era (g4) they're still canon. Bottom line. Where they "live" in the series, or whether they make an appearance in the series or not is irrelevant. Toyline is first tier canon

since they were made during Friendship is Magic era (g4) they're still canon. Bottom line. Where they "live" in the series, or whether they make an appearance in the series or not is irrelevant. Toyline is first tier canon

The toy line has no individual canon because it has no individual storyline, only such elements as it takes from the cartoon, and even then, only for packaging purposes.

• Brohoof 1

The toy line has no individual canon because it has no individual storyline, only such elements as it takes from the cartoon, and even then, only for packaging purposes.

you keep telling yourself that. Toyline's storyline is the series. There WOULD BE NO SERIES without the toyline. Bottom line. Toyline takes priority. Second canon is the series, because the series tells the story of the toy charas.

If you don't get that, then oh well

Regardless of whether or not there are eight alicorns or five alicorns... any more than two is too much for me.

I mean... two was great. Three was fine. Four was... ehhh? Five is where I draw the line though.

• Brohoof 1

you keep telling yourself that. Toyline's storyline is the series. There WOULD BE NO SERIES without the toyline. Bottom line. Toyline takes priority. Second canon is the series, because the series tells the story of the toy charas.

If you don't get that, then oh well

The cartoon is basically an advertisement for the toy line, we all know that, and nobody is going to deny that.  But Hasbro have been playing this game for a long time, and they know that toys will sell better with a story behind them.

A toy on a shelf is just a figure, but a toy with a background, a personality, a history, becomes a character, and characters sell better than figures.

That is why there is a cartoon, to provide the background and the lore, the canon.  If you don't get that, then oh well.

• Brohoof 1

That's an assertion, not a fact.

As long as nothing was shown in the tv series, they are simply no there, because the TV Series is the be all end all of all things.

Things like EQG, the comics and especially the toys, are just subcanon.

As Megan Mccarthy once said: "Everything is canon, until the show says otherwise."

But what do i know? Nothing. :P

• Brohoof 1

That's an assertion, not a fact.

As long as nothing was shown in the tv series, they are simply no there, because the TV Series is the be all end all of all things.

Things like EQG, the comics and especially the toys, are just subcanon.

As Megan Mccarthy once said: "Everything is canon, until the show says otherwise."

But what do i know? Nothing. :P

the show is subservient to the toyline. Without the toyline, nothing would exist. The show would have no purpose without somehing to advertise. So is it, really?

Who are those last few, besides Princess Flurry Heart? Also, you forgot Erroria.

Who are those last few, besides Princess Flurry Heart? Also, you forgot Erroria.

Gold lily and Sterling

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/05/more-alicorns-hasbro-releasing-line-of.html

Since the toyline came before the series, and the purpose of the series is to justify the existance of te toyline, I'm not counting series animation errors like Erroria, because as far as I'm concerned, the show and its errors are second canon. Only counting toyline alicorns, because top canon.

You forgot Queen Chrysalis

Oh, and lets not forget Princess Twila and Princess Larva!!...

Although, I kind of doubt them being cannon on show but whatever.

chryssi isn't an alicorn. She's a bug. No unicorn, pegasi, or earth pony powers. Which means she's not an alicorn

I thought the show was first canon, and then the toyline, but maybe there will be three more alicorns in the future??? Maybe Celestia and Luna's parents or maybe more alicorn foals like Flurry Heart...

• Brohoof 1

I thought the show was first canon, and then the toyline, but maybe there will be three more alicorns in the future??? Maybe Celestia and Luna's parents or maybe more alicorn foals like Flurry Heart...

Or more likely, they just decided to sneak a few more toys into the shops because Alicorns are more marketable.  But without any story behind them they are just figures on a shelf.  I doubt we'll see them in the cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

Or more likely, they just decided to sneak a few more toys into the shops because Alicorns are more marketable.  But without any story behind them they are just figures on a shelf.  I doubt we'll see them in the cartoon.

doesn't matter if we'll be seeinng them in the show. Hasbro is a toy company first (and even DHX has to run their show scripts by the Hasbro execs.), so highly likely, as far as their concerned, there are 8 alicorns

I'm not sure whether or not you wanted opinions on this because you seem very aggressive towards others opinions. Anyway, I think that MLP was originally made as a huge toy commercial. Now however, it's a TV show that has toys. The toys and the show are equally important. Some things in the toyline only exist because of the show, and some things in the show only exist because of the toyline. The toyline and the show are both equally canon.

doesn't matter if we'll be seeing them in the show. Hasbro is a toy company first (and even DHX has to run their show scripts by the Hasbro execs.), so highly likely, as far as their concerned, there are 8 alicorns

Hasbro is indeed a toy company, a toy company with a long history of using cartoons to provide a canon background story for their toys.

Of course everyone has their own interpretation of what is and isn't canon, you could look in any one of a hundred threads on this site alone to see that.  We could spend the rest of eternity arguing about that one fact alone (I'm not going to, just saying that we could). :)