Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Season 6 Episode 11 Title and Synopsis

Marimo

Flutter Brutter

When Fluttershy tries to convince her freeloading brother to move out of their parents' house, he moves in with her instead, forcing Fluttershy to stand up to him and help him get over his fear of failure.

Airing June 4th, 2016

http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic/EP013304160139

Sounds a bit like It Ain't Easy Being Breezies, but considering even the synopsis mentions Fluttershy having to stand up to him about staying at her place, it's probably going to cover that part earlier on in the episode (I'm guessing by the end of the first act) in order to focus on the episode actual conflict and moral, the issues Fluttershy's brother has.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 8

It ain't easy being breezies 2.0 much? With a brother character, that kinda sounds like Fluttershy?

I don't really know. I don't want to shit on this episode already, but it's kinda underwhelming.

Though, i have to admit, maybe we get some feels. And i always have a soft spot for some feels. :P

• Brohoof 7

What's with new characters being shoed-in without ever being mentioned before? I find it odd that Fluttershy has never mentioned her brother before, just like it was odd that Twilight never mentioned her brother before the Season 2 finale. Still, I'm interested to see his character design.

Edited by Rivendare

Honestly I'm not looking forward to this one. I don't care for the freeloader stereotypes and the tropes involved with it. Hopefully the writers will focus on Flutterbrother fear of failure more than anything else since I find that part a bit interesting

• Brohoof 4

What's with new characters being shoed-in without ever being mentioned before? I find it odd that Fluttershy has never mentioned her brother before, just like it was odd that Twilight never mentioned her brother before the Season 2 finale. Still, I'm interested to see his character design.

How often does anyone on this show talk about their family? We never saw Pinkie tell her friends (not the CMC) about anything about her having sisters until Maud Pie.

And if her brother is a freeloader who still lives with their parents, is that really something anyone would want to bring up?

Her brother sounds a like a bit of a loser, I could easily see that as a reason why she rarely brings him up. Also at least this means she has parents 

As for the episode itself, it sounds like it's treading familiar(Breezies) territory for Fluttershy again, which I feel is expected at this point(though at least it doesn't involve her being scared/shy of everything again)

It'll be interesting to see where this goes

It ain't easy being breezies 2.0 much? With a brother character, that kinda sounds like Fluttershy?

I don't really know. I don't want to shit on this episode already, but it's kinda underwhelming.

Though, i have to admit, maybe we get some feels. And i always have a soft spot for some feels. :P

I dont like breezies episode that much, second worst key episode in ss4. If this "version" is much better, i can forget that mediocre "version 1.0" episode   :angry: ... 

Fluttershy needs more episodes  :blush: ... 

Dialog in a show typically has purpose. If there was no reason in the past to discuss Brothershy, obviously it would not have come up in viewer facing dialog. We also have yet to see how they would address this in the new episode. A line where a character mentions they are aware of Flutter's brother adds to the fact these characters have lives and dialog outside of the 22 minutes we glimpse each week. :

Also as the writers will say time and again, there is no master plan to many of the episodes. :P

Finally ... standing up to family =/= standing up to pixies. Not ... even ... close. 

• Brohoof 2

Finally ... standing up to family =/= standing up to pixies. Not ... even ... close. 

Plus having actual fears about becoming independent is probably a lot harder to overcome than just being lazy. 

• Brohoof 1

Why's everyone immediately jumping up to calling him a jerk or an asshole? I mean, yeah Freeloading has negative connotations, and isn't really a "good" thing to do, but the last bit about "Helping him to get over his fear of failure" seems to imply something other than him just being a mean jerk.

• Brohoof 5

Huh, so fear of failure runs in the family? I figured Flutter-Bro was going to be the exact opposite of Fluttershy, namely boisterous, extraverted and diving headlong into danger.

Wait... that sounds too close to Rainbow Dash. Never mind! 

In shows like this, you can usually get away with it since the general explanation (since they didn't exist until that point) is often a) They never asked, so it was never brought up or B ) it becomes a case of "Remember the New Guy?" where Fluttershy made mention of her brother offscreen, so no one's surprised when he shows up since THEY were made aware and we weren't, like what happened with Shining Armor. 

Edited by PoisonClaw

Why's everyone immediately jumping up to calling him a jerk or an asshole? I mean, yeah Freeloading has negative connotations, and isn't really a "good" thing to do, but the last bit about "Helping him to get over his fear of failure" seems to imply something other than him just being a mean jerk.

Have you ever known a freeloader who was a nice person? Freeloaders take advantage of others for their own personal gain.

The difference between Brothershy and Shining Armor/Maud is that the Twilight and Pinkie often played up how amazing and close they were in their lives, which makes you wonder why they never talked about them until that point. On the other hand, based on the synopsis Brothershy doesn't sound like someone she'd like to talk about much, so it's easier for the writers to get away with never bringing him up

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Have you ever known a freeloader who was a nice person? Freeloaders take advantage of others for their own personal gain.

"Freeloaders" aren't just a single type of person. Someone who freeloads because "I just want all the free stuff from people, and I know I can get it" versus "I don't want to hurt anyone, but I don't know how to deal with life and I'm scared to go out on my own" are pretty different people. The second kind of person there might be able to get off the habit of freeloading if they're given some help, they aren't just an "Asshole".

Edited by BasementLuna
  • Brohoof 5

I might be in the minority here, but this episode sounds like a hit to me if it's written well. I know many people including myself who can relate to this. Its tough giving tough love to your own sibling especially when they need to get their shit together. Lets not forget how much of a push over Fluttershy used to be....so I'd imagine her Brother always misunderstood what she tries to tell him and takes it as doing stuff his own way.

My greatest fear is failure. And I'm sure many other young college kids feel the same. Interesting plot....hope it turns out well

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 6

How often does anyone on this show talk about their family? We never saw Pinkie tell her friends (not the CMC) about anything about her having sisters until Maud Pie.

And if her brother is a freeloader who still lives with their parents, is that really something anyone would want to bring up?

At least her telling the CMC makes the audience aware of their existence. What this does is give us something to ponder, to speculate, to look forward to. It makes their reveal much more satisfying.

And, well, I don't see why Flutterbro being a "freeloader" means he doesn't deserve to be mentioned.

Dialog in a show typically has purpose. If there was no reason in the past to discuss Brothershy, obviously it would not have come up in viewer facing dialog. We also have yet to see how they would address this in the new episode. A line where a character mentions they are aware of Flutter's brother adds to the fact these characters have lives and dialog outside of the 22 minutes we glimpse each week. :

In shows like this, you can usually get away with it since the general explanation (since they didn't exist until that point) is often a) They never asked, so it was never brought up or B ) it becomes a case of "Remember the New Guy?" where Fluttershy made mention of her brother offscreen, so no one's surprised when he shows up since THEY were made aware and we weren't, like what happened with Shining Armor. 

I understand that, but I feel like it's just forced for the sake of the plot too often. It would have been more interesting if we were told of his brother in say, Season 2 (or at least given some sort of implication that he exists, perhaps a shot of a picture in Fluttershy's cottage of her with her family?), his reveal in Season 6 would feel like a payoff. Sure, at times the concept of introducing a new previously unmentioned character who's related to the main cast could work depending on the circumstance, but in my opinion they've overdone it in MLP. This is probably largely due to the lack of consistency in terms of who writes each episode.

I'm not meaning to imply that everything has to happen on-screen. I'd just like a bit more mystery and consistency to new characters.

Essentially, one thing I love about FiM is when they callback to previous seasons, or continue an arc, concept, or gag from previous episodes. Makes the world feel progressive, and it gives the characters more... well, character. lol

Not all people who society deems as "freeloaders" are doing it for selfish gain. Some people have legitimate issues that cause them to be unable to work or properly function in society. They don't want to have to be supported by others but in their current situation, there isn't much of a choice. I agree with what BasementLuna said.

Edited by Rivendare

I dont like breezies episode that much, second worst key episode in ss4. If this "version" is much better, i can forget that mediocre "version 1.0" episode   :angry: ... 

Fluttershy needs more episodes  :blush: ... 

I can give you that. If this episode is the breezing episode done right, then i can forgive it. :)

Honestly I'm not looking forward to this one. I don't care for the freeloader stereotypes and the tropes involved with it. Hopefully the writers will focus on Flutterbrother fear of failure more than anything else since I find that part a bit interesting

I can understand this point. If this episode contains these stereotypes (i.e., being a mooch or a jerk), then you create serious unfortunate implications about people who live with their parents.

One of the biggest reasons adults may live with their parents is because it's so expensive to live on your own. In cities like NYC, San Francisco, and Seattle, rent is too damn high. Secondly, leaving your parents' home and living on your own isn't as easy as it looks. Don't prepare ahead of time, they might be forced to return to your parents' home. To assume that Flutterbro is an asshole is to assume a stereotype; for all we know, it's the opposite. Fear of failure is something a lot of us have, and it's very real.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 9

I have already told my kids that if they attend a specific FL State university they are still welcome at our home to help keep costs down. 

• Brohoof 2

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHA. 

Man this is gonna hit close to home with some of the fandom, I bet he even wears a fedora at some point.

I expect /mlp/ to break down into tears.

• Brohoof 3

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHA.

Man this is gonna hit close to home with some of the fandom, I bet he even wears a fedora at some point.

I expect /mlp/ to break down into tears.

Yes, and I approve of a message geared for toward the adult fans. You see, I'm an outlier when it comes to age in this fandom, but considering that the the teen and young adult members of the fandom are just now dealing with plans and fears of becoming independent ... this episode could introduce a more mature lesson for the ones getting ready to start their own life. Fluttershy's brother could become a positive avatar in the same way Moondancer was perceived by introverts last season.

I have a lot of hopes for this episode. Imagine if Fluttershy is approaching it like she sees his motivation being negative, but is blinded by the fact that he is afraid of starting his life. Families tend to be harder on each other in this respect.

Starting your life can be absolutely petrifying for some.

• Brohoof 2