Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite metal bands

Theshadowmaster235

Whether you're a metal head or you just like the genre, everyone who listens to metal usually has at least one favorite band that they never get tired of listening to.

Personally I can think of quite a few, but for the sake of not making this post to long I will just name a few of them.

Disturbed: Disturbed is one of the many bands my friend introduced me to and ever since then they have been one of my favorite bands, I like almost every song from all of their albums (although there is one song in particular that I don't approve of). They are, in my opinion one of the best modern bands.

Avenged sevenfold: I know that I might get some hate about this one, but I honestly don't care. I have heard the vast majority of songs by them and just like with disturbed I have liked pretty much all of their songs, they are also responsible for one of the most disturbing songs I have ever heard (A little piece of heaven), although I do still like the song.

Metallica: And last but certainly not least we have Metallica, one of the greatest metal bands of all time. Pretty much everything by them is great (despite what others say I personally don't think their later albums are bad), and even their songs that aren't that great are still better than what are considered to be the best songs by some other bands.

Of course, these are just a few that I think are the best, and I'm sure there are a lot more that I've never even heard of.

So who's your favorite?

I like some many Metal bands that just posting them all here would not be original (I did 1,000 times before in other threads).

So I'll just post the metal bands who changed my life.

• Voivod: I listened to this band when my whole craze for Thrash Metal started (back in 2010 IIRC). They made me discover a part of Metal music I did not knew about earlier in my life. I could just say that they made my introduction to Progressive Metal and Avant-Garde Metal. If I would had not listen to this band, I would had probably not discover much about some obscure bands who plays the same and weird experimental like Voivod does. If I were to talk about their music, I would probably describe these guys like the godfathers of Unusual Metal music or just Progressive Metal music in general, or just a Progressive Thrash Metal band with tons of dissonance. Also, Voivod changed so much throughout the course of their magnificient career, starting with a pretty straightforward Speed/Thrash Punkish Metal (War And Pain, RRRÖÖÖAAARRR (yeah literaly a name of one of their albums)) sound to a Spacy Thrash Metal (Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss) sound to finally come close to a pretty Progressive Metal, Rock sound (Nothingface, Angel Rat, The Outer Limits). I think that without their contribution to the scene, some major bands would have never been here. I'm talking about bands like Tool (yeah I heared that Tool got influenced by them, no jokes), Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl is a big fan of Voivod, there is even a video of him talking about how much Voivod influenced him), Atheist, Cynic, Death, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Nocturnus and Vektor (a total Voivod worship). Their former guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour (R.I.P. 2005), is one of my favorite guitarist of all time and his technique definitely innovated the music by a mile, such a shame he left this world as hero in this scene. With that being said, Voivod is probably my favorite band of all time and they make me proud to be from Quebec as these guys are from Jonquiere, Quebec.

Also, Here's the video with Dave Grohl talking about Voivod:

• Metallica: While it's a got a long way to be my favorite band, I think it's definitely a band that changed my perception of Metal music. I remembered listening to the song Master Of Puppets, it was my introduction to Thrash Metal music. It's definitely safe to say that without my discovery of this band, I would probably never became a metalhead and I would had never discover Thrash Metal, one of my favorite subgenres. My favorite album from them would be Ride The Lightning, a true and honest early Thrash Metal record.
  • Death: Basically my "honest" Introduction to Death Metal. I discovered them when I watched a review video of their masterpiece Symbolic. I remember the first song I listened from them was Crystal Mountain. They are the godfathers of Death Metal, their album Scream Bloody Gore (1987) proved it and while Possessed did a good job influencing them (Seven Churches - 1985), I think it's safe to say that Death made the whole Death Metal thing come true. Also, Chuck Shuldiner was a musical genius when he was alive, changing the direction of his masterwork from albums to albums! R.I.P. Evil Chuck
  • Other bands that I like and adore: Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Kreator, Sodom, Coroner, Mayhem, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc...

I have quite a few favorites:

• Nightwish
  • The Zenith Passage
  • The Browning
  • Fear Factory
  • Mors Principium Est
  • Mechina
  • Ghost
  • Angel Vivaldi
  • Friend For A Foe
  • Paradise Lost
  • The Birthday Massacre
  •  Type-O-Negative

And others. Might be forgetting some because my memory sucks sometimes. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I only know about Manowar, Lost Horizon and Kamelot.

Thats pretty much it. I dont buy Albums anymore...but maybe i should do that again at some point.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Metallica is my top Metal band, and band in general.

I also like ACDC, Slipknot, SOAD, Linkin Park, and Led Zeppelin. There are more bands that I'm sure I'd like, but I've never really looked too far.

OH my.

I feel SO old looking at these band names; I get the feeling that I'd just get mocked for listing my own, as many of them might not be considered 'Metal' now... but back in their day, they WERE Metal.

Okay, don't bash me too hard, here:

Motley Crue

Led Zeppelin

Quiet Riot

Metallica (Black Album and earlier; very disappointed with most of their later stuff)

OTEP

Cannibal Corpse

Queensryche

Faith No More

Black Sabbath

Avenged Sevenfold

Ratt

Twisted Sister

Monster Magnet

Steel Panther

Morbid Angel

Sepultura

... and still more, but I feel like I should stop here.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Limp Bizkit sure is nice. 

Edited by Guest

I listen to quite a bit of metal...

~Dream Theater

~Metallica

~Megadeth

~Five Finger Death Punch

~Slayer

~Disturbed

~Avenged Sevenfold

~Iron Maiden

~HIM

~Motorhead

Amongst others...but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I listen to a lot of metal :)

My favourite bands would probably be:

~ Black Sabbath

~ Iron Maiden

~ Metallica

~ Death

~ Carcass

~ Behemoth

~ Morbid Angel

~ Alestorm

~ Nightwish

~ Judas Priest

~ Venom

~ Megadeth

~ Slayer

~ Darkthrone

~ Immortal

~ Dissection

~ Opeth

~ Crytopsy

~ Decapitated

~ Sabaton

Edited by Sonic Shimmer
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm not going to list everything since that would take quite a long time.

- Avenged Sevenfold

- Trivium

- Animals As Leaders

- Fleshgod Apocalypse

- Thy Art is Murder

- Infant Annihilator

- Eluveitie

- Insomnium

- Persefone

- Shade Empire

- Make Them Suffer

- Textures

- Anup Sastry

- Dream Theater

There's much more but I'm getting tired of noting them all down

Edited by Rawzy

I'm a fan of:

-Machine Head

-Sabaton

-36 Crazyfists

-Soilwork

-Demon Hunter

-As I Lay Dying

-While She Sleeps

-Death Angel

-Overkill

-Testament

-Exodus

-Kreator

-Megadeth

-Slayer

-Anthrax

-Iron Maiden

-Fear Factory

-Cavelera Conspiracy

-Lamb Of God

-Amon Amarth

-Arch Enemy

-Symphony X

-Stratovarius

-Kamelot

-Dragonforce

-

• Brohoof 2

Avenged sevenfold: I know that I might get some hate about this one, but I honestly don't care.

Hate for liking Avenged? is this a trend that I haven't heard of before?

I doubt it but if you get hate for liking avenged sevenfold, then remember, bands like bvb have copied multiple sections from a handful of avenged songs, and even a music video....with a similar name.

In Flames
Five Finger Death Punch
Metallica
Three Days Grace (not sure if considered metal)
Linkin Park (same here)
All That Remains
Seether
Breaking Benjamin
Bullet For My Valentine
Saliva
Bring Me The Horizon (not very into electronic type music, but they've got a few that I like)
From Ashes To New (same here)

And I like lots of other songs here and there, but those are the bands I like.

• Brohoof 1