Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else find it surprising there hasn't been an MLP game?

Azureth

As popular as MLP is I would think Hasbro would have partnered up with some developer to create an MLP game, even if it were just on something like the 3DS and perhaps a typically rushed license game. Any thoughts why they haven't? It doesn't even have to be very violent at all to be fun, I am sure one could make a fun little adventure game on something like the 3DS without having to spend that much money compared to big console releases.

• Brohoof 2

They have a smartphone game...

That being said, I think the main reason that an official game isn't being made is because the only Platform I could see people "considering" getting it is on Nintendo, which Wii U is not selling and the 3DS is starting to stagnate. Also video games have gotten super expensive to make and profit margins on them are low. Shovelware games are becoming far less profitable and to that I say: "good." Shovelware sucks and shouldn't be made.

As fun as it seems, Hasbro is too busy ripping off Monster High. And technically, they have made games. They were all terrible and simple, but games anyway. The only people interested in making a game are the fans, and Hasbro loves to shut that down as soon as possible.

(edited)

tbh, Hasbro's never really taken games based on their IPs much seriously, as 99% of the time they're bad shovelware and made by no-name shovelware devs, double bad if the IP's a girl's franchise. Hell, for how many games Transformers has under its belt, I can count on one hand the amount that are actually good. And considering how MLP is less of a priority in the video game department, and considering the fact that the iOS department is where the money is right now, they're probably content with where they are, no matter how much the fans want to see a legit game. 

Which sucks since Wayforward expressed interest and the thought of a Wayforward Pony game sounds awesome

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

I played the MLP trading card game was extremely disappointed. 

the premise is that you are trying to solve problems around ponyville...

But you are in competition to solve them with the other player!

Racing to solve a problem first, and being at odds with the other player is a major flavor fail.  I wanted to be working WITH them.  

It's a shame because so much else about the game was VERY right, but this one flaw killed the excitement for me. 

I'd absolutely buy a collaborative MLP game, but those are quite a bit harder to design and get right.  

There have been games licensed under the MLP name but if we're talking about games that are relatively good, you are in for a not so disappointing experience. Just think about it, Hasbro would only show interest in the gaming industry or releasing one game under their IP if the outcome shows an overflow of income in their future.

But since they won't release a MLP video game at this time, it's better on having someone else make one.

I would say that is at least a little bit surprising.

After Wayforward expressed interesting in making and MLP FIM game, I was really hoping that we could get one.

But it doesn't look like it is happening any time soon, or ever.

(edited)

Most people wouldn't buy an MLP game anyway unless it was action-oriented, which is almost the complete opposite of what the brand really is. I'm not gonna lie. I wouldn't touch anything like the IOS game either. I'd rather see an MLP platformer, or an old-school beat-em-up (not too far fetched considering there was a Simpsons arcade game).

Edited by Lord-Pomegranate
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Mlp has Video Games.

And i have all of them.  :lol:

But the only game, i would consider interesting and kinda good, would be Friendship Gardens.

I actually like the Idea, to hold a My Little Pony as a Pet, makes sense to me.

But all the other Games are kinda meh.

You just walk from point a to point b and collect Stuff. And sometimes they are Minigames.

But at least, the Ponys always look cute. :squee:

That is, if you dont hate the older gens.  :lol:

I havent played the two Mobile Games based on G4, because i dont have a Phone...or something similar from Apple.

Can you play them on a Pc?  :wacko:

Edited by Supergirl Rarity

I don't see how an official game would work, but most likely it will not be that great of a game. It seems like a waste of money to me, as little to no one will want to buy it, unless it is somehow really good. Unfortunately, this show (or any show) is not a good idea to convert into a game.

If you're talking about a major official project that would be released on multiple platforms, then no, I'm not surprised. Considering that the primary demographic of MLP is considerably younger than the majority of brony gamers who would be interested in such a game, Hasbro probably doesn't see the idea as a worthy investment of their resources. There are already existing versions of MLP games that exist and have been moderately successful, but clearly not to the degree necessary to incentivize Hasbro in going further. Maybe after the 2017 film release we'll get something, but not before that.  

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I actually wonder if it's to do with the amount of time and investment it would take. Imagine if you would, a MLP game like the Sims where you could control emotions, which job they get, their aspirations and their demonic demise if that is what interests you. Then, combine this with the ability to use magic if you wanted, fly around or other things you could imagine ponies doing. The result would lead to a whole computer screen filling up with choices you could make or a selection of limited options that would annoy some gamers. Plus, to create such a game would likely takes ages, anyways this is just my opinion on the matter. Regard it or disregard it.

If you're talking about a major official project that would be released on multiple platforms, then no, I'm not surprised. Considering that the primary demographic of MLP is considerably younger than the majority of brony gamers who would be interested in such a game, Hasbro probably doesn't see the idea as a worthy investment of their resources. There are already existing versions of MLP games that exist and have been moderately successful, but clearly not to the degree necessary to incentivize Hasbro in going further. Maybe after the 2017 film release we'll get something, but not before that.

That is pretty much what I mean too. I doubt they can make one appeal to us since they have to keep the rating down. Then again, we are watching a show made like that. XD It isn't impossible, but I don't see it as a reasonable investment to make.

An idea I have for this particular mlp game is if it's designed like an old style platformer in the vein of Mario or Sonic. All six of the mane characters would each have their own unique style of gameplay and Spike could be used as a guide. There would be boss fights and notable locations, and it would feature most of the rest of the cast in the show.

I feel as if this could work out since the some of the fans are of an age of nostalgia for this and it could still be suitable for the target demographic.

They need an MLP video game. Release it for the Xbox 360 too. c:

Hate to break it to you but the chances of that are nill. The Xbox 360 was officially discontinued like a month or two ago. Microsoft is not making ANYMORE Xbox 360s, the only ones in stores now are the remaining stock. The 360 is approaching the final year of its life. By the end of this year they will be shifting their focus ENTIRELY to the Xbox One. Probably only a handful of games will come out on the 360 from here on out.